Michigan 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Michigan 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:39 am
a fan wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:31 pm
So now Conry's not a good head coach/recruiter. Okay. We all have opinions.

So who's your choice for coach?
Precisely. Thank you for re-emphasizing.

Give me a coach who does more with less. Give me a Deluca from Delaware or Torpey from HPU. There's definitely more out there, but those two guys come to mind when building a competitive program at a "lower tier" school. Delaware finds a way to use all their pieces effectively. Torpey recruits his bag off and ends up developing the kids, especially the "Diamonds in the rough." Both things I think UM could take some notes on. Now put one of those two guys at a school like UM with the allure and resources...
Can Torpey get Michigan admissions to work with him like HPU does? There’s definitely difference there. Woodall would’ve gone to UVA otherwise. Think you have to put Galloway in same bucket.

Del was in a FF in 2007. They have a history of some success. And whatever the reality is the perception on DeLuca comes with some history at Cornell and Harvard that a uncaring about lacrosse AD (or one that has different priorities let’s just say) doesn’t want to take ANY headline risk on. Fair or not.

Can point to Chemotti and Polley. That may be it. Could Toomey even get Chase Scanlon into UMich? Maybe he was a bust or however you want to describe it but it’s reflective of stretches he can make there that Mich coach may not be able to.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:03 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:36 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:25 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:46 pm Bro what are you talking about all I said was I don't think Michigan is happy to not win lacrosse games. I don't know if he's on his way out or not. But I wouldn't be surprised if they moved on in the next few years. Would you?
I was obviously exaggerating to give you a bit of a hard time for your riffing on how a multi-year contract can somehow means he's on his way out.

I give him ten years. Yes, I think they want to win. It's a brutal conference, and kids pay $20K more per year for the pleasure of attending than any other peer BigTen school. And each year, that tuition squeaks upwards.

Conry just needs to get lucky and strike lightning like Tambroni did with Ament. Get the ball rolling. I think he'll get there. But if he doesn't, UMich will move on.

My point in all of this is------he just inked a contract, time to move on from the " coaching hotseat" nonsense for at least a couple more seasons.
This is all started and perpetuated by the same guy who creates whole threads and frequently bumps them around coaches getting fired. You think it’s ever going to end?
it's not. unless michigan goes undefeated from here, then it'll be someone else. he doesn't seem caustic on his face, but his obsession about this topic in general is way weird. now the turnover of two 4 year assistants has to slow to once a decade or it's a real issue. of course, assts. move around all the time, in this case for head jobs (including previous dc?). met conry once, and yeah he seemed prickly. maybe personality's an issue but again, i was a stranger to him.

we're in the season, and how much actual analysis of the "coaching" has been done, right or wrong? zippy's pretty close? just *talent* so it must be *coaching*. will that ever shift, at least until the offseason? likely nah.
I’ll admit I hit Raymond sometimes but it’s things like:

Why in four games have we not seen a full 60min of play?

Why carry a roster of 61 and shorten up the bench early in the season unless it’s a blowout?

Why replace a two year starting goalie for the flawed kid we all knew struggles with low shots and body placement historically? (See Bryant reg season game last year)

Why yank younger kids and appear to crush their confidence so quickly over one mistake? Then they only seem to recover senior year.

Why does our defense look like it doesn’t know what it’s doing often?

Post by 1766 »

Highly doubt UM can't get in any kid they want who meets minimum standards. This isn't Stanford we are talking about. It's a sports factory.

If/when this job opens, I'd look at a certain coach at an acc school.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

1766 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:10 pm Highly doubt UM can't get in any kid they want who meets minimum standards. This isn't Stanford we are talking about. It's a sports factory.

USNews ranks Michigan the third best public university in the country behind Berkeley and UCLA and one ahead of UVA.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:20 pm
1766 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 5:10 pm Highly doubt UM can't get in any kid they want who meets minimum standards. This isn't Stanford we are talking about. It's a sports factory.

USNews ranks Michigan the third best public university in the country behind Berkeley and UCLA and one ahead of UVA.
Just delusional (not you) thinks it’s the same as FB or BB…
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Time for Delaware. Thinking we could have a close, high-scoring game. Both teams are hungry to get back on track after tough losses. Of course, the revenge factor from last season could be very much on the Blue Hens’ minds.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Good start for the Wolverines! They look solid in all areas so far.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:25 pm Good start for the Wolverines! They look solid in all areas so far.
LOL-So much for that. Looks like this game is going in reverse order from last year right now.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Geez,

the Hens have some dammm good players.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:49 pm Geez,

Yes, they sure did. AND, with Coach DeLuca, like Coach Conry for Michigan, being in his sixth season, even more of the talent is his.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:50 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 12:49 pm Geez,

Yes, they sure did. AND, with Coach DeLuca, like Coach Conry for Michigan, being in his sixth season, even more of the talent is likely his.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Why does DeLuca insist on giving the ball to Clay Miller for
end of half, end of game plays ?
Its a brain-fart mystery.
Tye Kurtz or JP Ward - that’s it, go with those guys exclusively.
What could have been a 10-5 game, 9-6 instead due to bone head
play calling, a two goal swing.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 1:03 pm Why does DeLuca insist on giving the ball to Clay Miller for
end of half, end of game plays ?
Its a brain-fart mystery.
Tye Kurtz or JP Ward - that’s it, go with those guys exclusively.
What could have been a 10-5 game, 9-6 instead due to bone head
play calling, a two goal swing.
Well, they still have a multi-goal lead and the MO. Let's see what happens in the Second Half.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Wow! 9-9. A good one in Ann Arbor!
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Awesome Second Half performance by Michigan in their 16-12 victory over Delaware. That was a fine Blue Hens team they beat. In addition, the Hens were looking for revenge from last week and were hungry to bounce back after losing to Nova. NOW, unlike last year, will Michigan respond very well with a win over Delaware and win several more games?

I will say it, very well-done, Coach Kevin Conry!

PS-Talk about balance on offense! Ten different Wolverines scored at least one goal.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

gymman1031 wrote: Sat Mar 04, 2023 2:07 pm Yes, Delaware was missing some players. However, still, that was a very nice Second Half performance by Michigan in their 16-12 victory over Delaware. That was still a fine Blue Hens team they beat. In addition, the Hens were looking for revenge from last week and were hungry to bounce back after losing to Nova. NOW, unlike last year, will Michigan respond very well with a win over Delaware and win several more games?

I will say it, very well-done, Coach Kevin Conry!

PS-Talk about balance on offense! Ten different Wolverines scored at least one goal.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Funny how this thread is the most quiet of all after Michigan does something good.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Still crickets after Michigan's win over Delaware. All is good, but shouldn't everyone who believes in Conry(I am starting to a bit more now) be on here congratulating him?
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Gymman, I am writing you so you're not here talking to yourself.

Delaware was missing one of their starting attackmen, one o-middie, and starting FOGO. Plus, Owen Grant took several long breaks during the game because he is nursing an injury. This is a good Delaware team, but not as good as they would be if these 4 guys were 100% healthy.

Last year UM won 18-8. Delaware is supposedly better this year, but they're missing some key guys at the moment- so I'd mark them as "not as good as last year" (due to injury). UM is supposedly better than they were last year. And yet the score differential is closer this year than last year.

Also, UDM lost to Marquette by 5. So did, Michigan. Except UDM held Marquette to 10 goals. Michigan held them to 15.

Something isn't adding up...
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 3:12 pm Gymman, I am writing you so you're not here talking to yourself.

Delaware was missing one of their starting attackmen, one o-middie, and starting FOGO. Plus, Owen Grant took several long breaks during the game because he is nursing an injury. This is a good Delaware team, but not as good as they would be if these 4 guys were 100% healthy.

Last year UM won 18-8. Delaware is supposedly better this year, but they're missing some key guys at the moment- so I'd mark them as "not as good as last year" (due to injury). UM is supposedly better than they were last year. And yet the score differential is closer this year than last year.

Also, UDM lost to Marquette by 5. So did, Michigan. Except UDM held Marquette to 10 goals. Michigan held them to 15.

Something isn't adding up...
You make some good points. I am just hoping for the best, but not predicting much of anything now.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”