Live Game Action

D1 Womens Lacrosse
GratefulRed

Re: Live Game Action

Post by GratefulRed »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:04 am Question from someone who doesn't follow recruiting at all, you say Maryland is losing recruits to UNC and BC, where does Syracuse fall in there (yes, I know about Wurzburger)? I know if I were a talented young wlaxer and watched that coach play in the world tourney and watched the way that team plays the game, that's where I'd want to go play.
I think Syracuse will quickly become one of the hottest tickets in country, which is sorta funny to say since they always have been. The fundamental draw of SU lax hasn't changed, but a fresh energy and style will have even broader appeal. As long as Coach KT stays active/engaged in the recruiting process, she will attract the best--already reflected in the latest class. As DMac will attest, the atmosphere in the Dome is electric these days.
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

GratefulRed wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:13 am
DMac wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:04 am Question from someone who doesn't follow recruiting at all, you say Maryland is losing recruits to UNC and BC, where does Syracuse fall in there (yes, I know about Wurzburger)? I know if I were a talented young wlaxer and watched that coach play in the world tourney and watched the way that team plays the game, that's where I'd want to go play.
I think Syracuse will quickly become one of the hottest tickets in country, which is sorta funny to say since they always have been. The fundamental draw of SU lax hasn't changed, but a fresh energy and style will have even broader appeal. As long as Coach KT stays active/engaged in the recruiting process, she will attract the best--already reflected in the latest class. As DMac will attest, the atmosphere in the Dome is electric these days.
The problem is the city of Syracuse IMO. I love KT but don't love the city so that could deter recruits. Sorry to all of you upstate folks. ;)
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Sunnylax wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 11:55 am
GratefulRed wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 10:13 am
The problem is the city of Syracuse IMO. I love KT but don't love the city so that could deter recruits. Sorry to all of you upstate folks. ;)
I spent three years there, and my first included 36 days in a row with snow. Not flurries. But on balance it is a nice community, great campus, with a ton of avenues for fun. The autumn and summer in that part of New York is really gorgeous. If you are playing lacrosse, and if you're lucky, you might meet DMac and he might borrow your crosse and ask, "why don't you all convert FPSs at 90%?"
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Not sure if anyone heard or not, but a Yale player was seriously injured in the 4th quarter of their game against Stony Brook.

Taylor Everson was cross-checked so hard that she lacerated her kidney. There was no ambulance on scene and she had to wait for over an hour before getting medical attention.

Her injury was so bad that the initial doctors wanted to remove the whole kidney.

Scary!!

Best wishes to Taylor on a speedy recovery!
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

I'm not so sure the rankings ultimately mean that much--at least, not anymore.

How many people even knew about Izzy Scane before the middle of her first season at Northwestern?

IL's top recruit for 2022 plays in the Big Ten, but so far this year, every Big Ten Freshman of the Week award (so far) has gone to Madison Taylor, who IL didn't have ranked in the top 50 of her class and who didn't have a five-star rating. I'm not even sure IL considered her to be one of Northwestern's top three recruits.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:16 pm Not sure if anyone heard or not, but a Yale player was seriously injured in the 4th quarter of their game against Stony Brook.

Taylor Everson was cross-checked so hard that she lacerated her kidney. There was no ambulance on scene and she had to wait for over an hour before getting medical attention.

Her injury was so bad that the initial doctors wanted to remove the whole kidney.

Scary!!

Awful, but sort of inevitable, story. I can remember when the cross-check was going to be a point of emphasis for officials, and then, not so much. I don't think the horizontal stick needs to be outlawed, but the way some women wield the horizontal stick should be a serious discussion among coaches and officials. Best wishes to Ms. Everson.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

ultravisitor wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:50 pm I'm not so sure the rankings ultimately mean that much--at least, not anymore.

How many people even knew about Izzy Scane before the middle of her first season at Northwestern?

IL's top recruit for 2022 plays in the Big Ten, but so far this year, every Big Ten Freshman of the Week award (so far) has gone to Madison Taylor, who IL didn't have ranked in the top 50 of her class and who didn't have a five-star rating. I'm not even sure IL considered her to be one of Northwestern's top three recruits.
I coached Madison in the Under Armour Underclass games and she is DEFINITELY a top player. SHe's super athletic and has a really good game IQ. She is definitely a player to watch going forward. Opposing coaches will need to game plan for her as well as Izzy.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:17 pm
ultravisitor wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:50 pm I'm not so sure the rankings ultimately mean that much--at least, not anymore.

I coached Madison in the Under Armour Underclass games and she is DEFINITELY a top player. SHe's super athletic and has a really good game IQ. She is definitely a player to watch going forward. Opposing coaches will need to game plan for her as well as Izzy.
Oh, she's definitely great. She's proving it. I'm just saying: how much credence and importance should people put into the rankings of recruits and recruiting classes if someone who wasn't even considered one of her own team's top recruits is so far proving to be one of the top freshmen in her conference and in Division 1?
Sunnylax

Post by Sunnylax »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 12:16 pm Not sure if anyone heard or not, but a Yale player was seriously injured in the 4th quarter of their game against Stony Brook.

Scary!!

Please tell me a red card was issued! Tired of seeing cross checks by SB teams.
Best wishes to Taylor!
Laxallday

Post by Laxallday »

You make a really interesting comparison. Madison reminds me a lot of a very talented but often slightly out of control Izzy Scane as a Freshman player. Ironic they are playing together. Ranking are fine to a point but not the be all. Countless players not in the Top 50 who end up being multiple year AA's. Imperfect science at best.
Brownlax

Post by Brownlax »

Sunnylax wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:34 pm

Scary!!

Best wishes to Taylor!
Believe it or not there was no card on the play at all.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

Laxallday wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:39 pm

You make a really interesting comparison. Madison reminds me a lot of a very talented but often slightly out of control Izzy Scane as a Freshman player. Ironic they are playing together. Ranking are fine to a point but not the be all. Countless players not in the Top 50 who end up being multiple year AA's. Imperfect science at best.
Interesting. Out of control like how? Unfortunately, I haven't actually been able to watch any of her games yet.

I think rankings are nice and perhaps useful--but only to a certain extent. They can be a good way to provide players with well-deserved recognition. However, the importance of being one of the top ten recruits or having one of the top three recruiting classes? I'm not sure about that. There are a lot of changes and variables at play, especially when moving from high school to college.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

ultravisitor wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:56 pm

Interesting. Out of control like how? Unfortunately, I haven't actually been able to watch any of her games yet.

I think rankings are nice and perhaps useful--but only to a certain extent. They can be a good way to provide players with well-deserved recognition. However, the importance of being one of the top ten recruits or having one of the top three recruiting classes? I'm not sure about that. There are a lot of changes and variables at play, especially when moving from high school to college.
According to ILWomen, Scane was the No. 27 recruit in the class but was listed as a midfielder coming in. Taylor was in this year's "Best of the Rest," which means not a Top 50 player but still in the Top 100.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

Brownlax wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:45 pm
Sunnylax wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:34 pm

Scary!!

Best wishes to Taylor!
Believe it or not there was no card on the play at all.
That's too bad. I watched a D3 game yesterday and one team was cross-checking (forceful extension), the other was engaging with the stick and maintaining contact. The team that engaged, won. It was apparent to me that the constant push from engagement was more effective in controlling the attacker than the rough hacking and bruising (and ice packs). It is possible to play within the rules, but that is rare to see.

Hopefully Taylor is going to have a full recovery.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

jff97 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:14 pm

According to ILWomen, Scane was the No. 27 recruit in the class but was listed as a midfielder coming in. Taylor was in this year's "Best of the Rest," which means not a Top 50 player but still in the Top 100.
Exactly. That seems to confirm the idea that there’s only so much importance and credence that can be given to the rankings of recruits. How many people would consider Izzy Scane to be the 27th best player women’s college lacrosse now or even the 27th best freshman during her freshman year?
jff97

Post by jff97 »

ultravisitor wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:21 pm
jff97 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 2:14 pm

Exactly. That seems to confirm the idea that there’s only so much importance and credence that can be given to the rankings of recruits. How many people would consider Izzy Scane to be the 27th best player women’s college lacrosse now or even the 27th best freshman during her freshman year?
I mean there's going to be hits or misses in player rankings. Always are. But the general theory is that if you can only compete at the highest level if you accumulate a certain amount of talent. Been a lot of talk about it in college football and it applies to women's lacrosse to some extent.
TNLAX

Post by TNLAX »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:02 pm

Scary!!

Awful, but sort of inevitable, story. I can remember when the cross-check was going to be a point of emphasis for officials, and then, not so much. I don't think the horizontal stick needs to be outlawed, but the way some women wield the horizontal stick should be a serious discussion among coaches and officials. Best wishes to Ms. Everson.
Seacoster you are right, it was a point of emphasis, but it is also still supposed to be a point of emphasis. Awful to hear about the serious injury to Ms. Everson.

This is copied from the 2022-2023 NCAA Rules Book:

Points of Emphasis
The “Points of Emphasis” section highlights certain areas of the game the
Women’s Lacrosse Rules Committee believes warrant continued attention by
placing a stronger emphasis on existing rules.
The committee requests that players, officials and coaches concentrate on the
following areas:
Cross Checks
The committee encourages officials to continue to call cross checking
consistently. The foul cross check has been moved from its prior foul
categorization under illegal use of the stick to its own distinct foul. It is illegal
for a player to initiate stick-to-body contact and use the shaft of the stick to hit,
push or displace an opponent. Cross checking often occurs when a player plays
an opponent’s body, and not the ball. Specifically, cross checking an opponent
from the rear position is dangerous and has the potential to cause physical
harm. This year, a new rule has been implemented which requires officials to
card players for cross checking an opponent’s shoulders or back from the rear
position (See Rule 6-21.a) The committee encourages officials to card forceful
stick-to-body contact to an opponent’s head, neck, shoulders and back. The
committee also encourages coaches to continue to instruct their players to slow
or stop an opponent’s progress without using dangerous or illegal means.

Here is the link to the NCAA 2022 and 2023 Women's lacrosse rules book:

https://www.cwoalacrosse.org/files/WLC23_2.pdf
njbill

Post by njbill »

In a lot of respects, wlax is a very difficult game to officiate. But illegal crosschecking is one of the easier fouls to spot and call, I think. Sometimes officials will call a game closely and whistle and then card illegal cross checks in the early part of the game. But not often.

You often hear complaints from the fans (I’m as guilty as anyone) if someone on the team you are rooting for gets carded for an illegal cross check.

We probably naïvely think that most crosschecks, at least where the attacker is facing the defender, aren’t all that dangerous. Oh, it’s just a bruise. Blah blah blah.

But this injury to the Yale player evidences how badly someone can be hurt by such a foul and perhaps should be a wake up call for all of us.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

njbill wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:25 pm In a lot of respects, wlax is a very difficult game to officiate. But illegal crosschecking is one of the easier fouls to spot and call, I think. Sometimes officials will call a game closely and whistle and then card illegal cross checks in the early part of the game. But not often.

You often hear complaints from the fans (I’m as guilty as anyone) if someone on the team you are rooting for gets carded for an illegal cross check.

We probably naïvely think that most crosschecks, at least where the attacker is facing the defender, aren’t all that dangerous. Oh, it’s just a bruise. Blah blah blah.

But this injury to the Yale player evidences how badly someone can be hurt by such a foul and perhaps should be a wake up call for all of us.
Its why hockey pants often have the protective pads over kidneys and lower back....The place that gets checked the most is a few inches above the waist....similar to what you see on the low cross-checks in WLAX.

[edit] I am not proposing pads for WLAX....
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

TNLAX wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 4:11 pm
Seacoster you are right, it was a point of emphasis, but it is also still supposed to be a point of emphasis. Awful to hear about the serious injury to Ms. Everson.

This is copied from the 2022-2023 NCAA Rules Book:

Points of Emphasis
The “Points of Emphasis” section highlights certain areas of the game the
Women’s Lacrosse Rules Committee believes warrant continued attention by
placing a stronger emphasis on existing rules.
The committee requests that players, officials and coaches concentrate on the
following areas:
Cross Checks
The committee encourages officials to continue to call cross checking
consistently. The foul cross check has been moved from its prior foul
categorization under illegal use of the stick to its own distinct foul. It is illegal
for a player to initiate stick-to-body contact and use the shaft of the stick to hit,
push or displace an opponent. Cross checking often occurs when a player plays
an opponent’s body, and not the ball. Specifically, cross checking an opponent
from the rear position is dangerous and has the potential to cause physical
harm. This year, a new rule has been implemented which requires officials to
card players for cross checking an opponent’s shoulders or back from the rear
position (See Rule 6-21.a) The committee encourages officials to card forceful
stick-to-body contact to an opponent’s head, neck, shoulders and back. The
committee also encourages coaches to continue to instruct their players to slow
or stop an opponent’s progress without using dangerous or illegal means.

Here is the link to the NCAA 2022 and 2023 Women's lacrosse rules book:

https://www.cwoalacrosse.org/files/WLC23_2.pdf
I think I have been hearing about it being a focus ever since #13 was in HS....9 years?

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”