Loyola Greyhounds 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Matnum PI

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2023

Post by Matnum PI »

Stating the obvious but stating it anyway. Loyola has a lot of good freshmen... :)
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Matnum PI wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:58 am Stating the obvious but stating it anyway. Loyola has a lot of good freshmen... :)
Good freshmen yes, but can they be consistent and help the veterans win games to earn a bid this year? IMO, tonights game against towson is a barometer for that after coming off the loss against Rutgers.
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:03 am
Matnum PI wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 8:58 am Stating the obvious but stating it anyway. Loyola has a lot of good freshmen... :)
Good freshmen yes, but can they be consistent and help the veterans win games to earn a bid this year? IMO, tonights game against towson is a barometer for that after coming off the loss against Rutgers.
Thought the freshman showed up against Rutgers tbh. I'd have like to see Minicus and Haberman get a few more chances to dodge.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

TheBigIguana wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:10 am Thought the freshman showed up against Rutgers tbh. I'd have like to see Minicus and Haberman get a few more chances to dodge.
I think Houndace would agree. He just wants these freshmen to be more consistent. i.e. Show up every game. And I think what you're saying is that all the players need to show up every game, to be more consistent. Makes sense to me.
Caddy Day
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

TheBigIguana wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:10 am
Thought the freshman showed up against Rutgers tbh. I'd have like to see Minicus and Haberman get a few more chances to dodge.
Oh they showed up absolutely, and minicus can dodge from the wing. Haberman beat his guy from behind the goal.

My only question is- when the offense of the upperclassmen gets stuck in a rut (like what happened sometimes against Rutgers) can the freshmen show up and make some plays to get the offense flowing again. The freshmen have shooters that’s for certain- but do they have a playmaker when Poitras, James, and Lindsey get beat??
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:41 am
Oh they showed up absolutely, and minicus can dodge from the wing. Haberman beat his guy from behind the goal.

My only question is- when the offense of the upperclassmen gets stuck in a rut (like what happened sometimes against Rutgers) can the freshmen show up and make some plays to get the offense flowing again. The freshmen have shooters that’s for certain- but do they have a playmaker when Poitras, James, and Lindsey get beat??
Minicus can dodge and can feed with the best of them. Last year early in the season the ball would die in Lindsay’s stick. As the year went on he got much better. Last week he regressed to the early last year stage. Ball dying in stock, forcing passes. His one assist came on a bad pass that Minicus made a great catch and shoot for a goal. Lindsay, when on his game, is a good feeder and can score on occasion. My concern is in the midfield. Last week against a good Rutgers defense the middies failed miserably in beating the defender off the dodge for a good shot or to force a slide and dish. Worst game I’ve seen Higgins play in 2 years.same with Poitras. Both of those guys have been able to dodge and get their hands free for good looks. Last week they were slow and what shots they got were poor. The other one who bothered me last week was Binney. After a good start with two goals v Hopkins he reverted to last year’s “ any shot is a good shot” mentality. The kid can shoot. He’s a lefty also. He’s got to learn that a sidearm shot from the wing from 12 yards is a turnover. Way to easy for a goalie to save. Happened two or three times last week. Toomey won’t accept poor shot selection from Second line middies.
Hoping for a better effort tonight. Go Hounds.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Formerhound wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:09 am

Minicus can dodge and can feed with the best of them. Last year early in the season the ball would die in Lindsay’s stick. As the year went on he got much better. Last week he regressed to the early last year stage. Ball dying in stock, forcing passes. His one assist came on a bad pass that Minicus made a great catch and shoot for a goal. Lindsay, when on his game, is a good feeder and can score on occasion. My concern is in the midfield. Last week against a good Rutgers defense the middies failed miserably in beating the defender off the dodge for a good shot or to force a slide and dish. Worst game I’ve seen Higgins play in 2 years.same with Poitras. Both of those guys have been able to dodge and get their hands free for good looks. Last week they were slow and what shots they got were poor. The other one who bothered me last week was Binney. After a good start with two goals v Hopkins he reverted to last year’s “ any shot is a good shot” mentality. The kid can shoot. He’s a lefty also. He’s got to learn that a sidearm shot from the wing from 12 yards is a turnover. Way to easy for a goalie to save. Happened two or three times last week. Toomey won’t accept poor shot selection from Second line middies.
Let’s not forget that Olmstead was the primary ball carrier and that Lindsey was secondary until he got more reps. Keep in mind, the kid came off of a broken collarbone that injured him the whole freshman year, and then his senior season got cut short via Covid. He essentially didnt play competitive lacrosse in almost 2 full years. He’ll get into form. You don’t put up 20 assists in like 3-4 starts if you’re not a good QB attackman
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Question- so if you’re scratching your head with Binney on his shot choice/selection, then what’s your take on Cote from last week?

Has all the tools IMO but he did take a sidearm shot from the wing very early on in the shot clock that the goalie saved clean
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

houndace1 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:10 pm

Question- so if you’re scratching your head with Binney on his shot choice/selection, then what’s your take on Cote from last week?

Has all the tools IMO but he did take a sidearm shot from the wing very early on in the shot clock that the goalie saved clean
Agree 100% Cote took a terrible shot. Difference is he’s a freshman and Binney is a Junior.

What a game. Poitras, James, Minicus were tremendous. Nice to see Kamish score. Still wondering what’s up with Higgins. Freshmen came through again. I was tough on Lindsay after last game but he showed up tonight. Not a pretty win but a win nonetheless. Patriot league play coming up.
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

Short of maybe Army, can anyone in the PL beat Loyola this year?
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Exlaxbro wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:54 am Short of maybe Army, can anyone in the PL beat Loyola this year?
Respect everyone and fear no one. Every and any team can beat you if your game is off.

Lafayette has shown improvement every single year since Coach Myers took over the program. Focus on that game first and clean up some mistakes before March 10th
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

I agree but the league as a whole seems way below Loyola right now. I realize February lax is different but Loyola seems to be on a different level from everyone else. Including Army.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Exlaxbro wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:07 am I agree but the league as a whole seems way below Loyola right now. I realize February lax is different but Loyola seems to be on a different level from everyone else. Including Army.
Much respect for Hounds but...

Army beat Rutgers who beat Loyola
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

No panic last night.
Hounds took advantage of their breaks and walked away
with the W - the calm demeanor is what impressed me.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Exlaxbro wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:54 am Short of maybe Army, can anyone in the PL beat Loyola this year?
Definitely.

Holy Cross, Lafayette and Colgate should basically be 100% wins. Navy and Bucknell are both potential slip ups. And BU, Lehigh and Army can beat anyone.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

TheBigIguana wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:29 am
Definitely.

Holy Cross, Lafayette and Colgate should basically be 100% wins. Navy and Bucknell are both potential slip ups. And BU, Lehigh and Army can beat anyone.
Please have MVA hold everyone back and let Poitras shoot until his arms fall off.

Thanks,

FFG Jrs fantasy team Mgt
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
lorin

Post by lorin »

tech37 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:13 am
Exlaxbro wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:07 am I agree but the league as a whole seems way below Loyola right now. I realize February lax is different but Loyola seems to be on a different level from everyone else. Including Army.
Much respect for Hounds but...

Army beat Rutgers who beat Loyola
Well with your current senior/ grad players you are 2 and 4 against Army so yeah don't worry about Army.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

houndace1 wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 7:59 am
Respect everyone and fear no one. Every and any team can beat you if your game is off.

Lafayette has shown improvement every single year since Coach Myers took over the program. Focus on that game first and clean up some mistakes before March 10th
+!
I would not take anyone lightly after las nights performance... Consistency is needed. Clean it up and focus on consistency against Lafayette to be prepared for Duke
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Based on Best Wins and Worst Losses, Loyola is the #2 team in the nation. I was at last night's game. They squeaked by Towson and looked terrible at numerous moments and... They won. W. Everything that didn't look so great is now in the rearview mirror. They walked away with a W and that's all that matters when we look at a team's record. Based on that and only that, Ws and Ls, and the quality of those Ws and Ls... Loyola is the #2 team in the nation. Not meaningless...
Caddy Day
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

I’m not exactly sure what’s going on but the offense looks like it’s regressed in terms of spacing and ball movement?

Ball dies in some sticks and it looks like they dodge to just… dodge? Instead of dodging to go to the cage, especially when they try to dodge from up top to go down the alley.

Also noticed that Toomey shortened the freshmen bench. I believe only Haberman, Minicus and Murphy played, but McCullough, and Cote didn’t get runs I think.

While I do see that offense is balanced and that multiple guys are scoring, the downside is that there’s no “GUY” that can takeover a game when things get super super tight. Usually that comes from X attack or from one big midfield guy but if these current players get locked up (which happened multiple times due to the stout Towson D), then people will just defer to eachother.

As the game went on, the 2nd midfield got reduced runs in exchange for poitras James and higgins getting asked to do more. They looked exhausted at the end.

Finally, we gotta really figure out what to do about the faceoff disparity. I think the unit is sub 50% as a whole which puts an immense strain on every other unit to overperform
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”