Live Game Action

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Madlax59

Re: Live Game Action

Post by Madlax59 »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:54 pm Damn, took about 4 pretty good shots but Md finally rolls one in.
8-7, 4 to go, Md ball.
TO Md.
Thank god for all the FP opportunities
DMac

Post by DMac »

Wow, Bucannon with a HUGE save!!
JMU ball, 55 sec to go.
At least Md ended up making a game of it.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:01 pm Wow, Bucannon with a HUGE save!!
JMU ball, 55 sec to go.
At least Md ended up making a game of it.
I mean shouldn’t they have beat JMU by 6-7?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Madlax59 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:55 pm
DMac wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:54 pm Damn, took about 4 pretty good shots but Md finally rolls one in.
8-7, 4 to go, Md ball.
TO Md.
Thank god for all the FP opportunities
Haha I was going to say that's what was killing them this game.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Big win for JMU. Hung very tough at the end there.

Md. is coming close to dropping out of my top 10. Boy, was I wrong about them.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

njbill wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:07 pm Big win for JMU. Hung very tough at the end there.

Didn’t realize how much Cordingley elevated the entire team. They miss Griffin too with the leadership.
user1020

Post by user1020 »

user1020 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:10 pm
njbill wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:07 pm Big win for JMU. Hung very tough at the end there.

Didn’t realize how much Cordingley elevated the entire team. They miss Griffin too with the leadership.
Clevenger and May having decent years but no one else around them is stepping up.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Madlax59 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 6:38 pm
Any one know who the female announcer is ? I’m
Norah McGuire/Maguire White?
That's what it sounded like to me when they were signing off.
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

Rutgers in big trouble - down 16-11 with 5:09 to go
njbill

Post by njbill »

Final 18-12 Princeton. Very strong win for the Tigers. The announcer said this is the first time the teams have played in nine years. Yikes. 20 miles apart. Hopefully it isn't another nine years before they play again.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

A tale of two cities - JMU consistently overachieves and MD has been one if not the biggest disappointment this year.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

user1020 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:10 pm

I was wondering why in the world everyone thought they were automatically going to be sooo much better than almost everyone else after Cordingley left. Do they not remember what they were like during the year before she played with them?
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Anyone still hangin on to the MD train? chooo chooing right off the cliff :lol:
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Kleizaster wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:54 pm Anyone still hangin on to the MD train? chooo chooing right off the cliff :lol:
As far as hype train, no, but I'll still wish the team well as a fan and alum. At least their testing themselves in OOC play and not just playing the Little Sisters of the Poor. Obviously it's been a disappointing start to the year, but it's still only March 1. Teams can improve.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Still not over yet but i agree very disappointing. They still have the talent to beat anyone but it doesn't seem like they are getting any better as a team. Not sure what's going on but we're starting to see the cracks of losing recruiting battles to BC and UNC. No depth. especially on offense. I've been saying this for awhile now that it'll catch up to them eventually but i thought maybe in a year or 2. This was or SHOULD have been the year to get back on track after making strides last year. everything was lined up for them. Reilly Casey on UNC for example rode the bench for 2 years. Her first year as a starter looks like a star. Mckenna Davis on BC, limited role her freshman year, bonafide star this year. Marissa White, already a freshman star. 10 years ago she would have been a Maryland lock. UNC and BC have these types of players riddled throughout their rosters and reload cycle after cycle. MD gets their fair share but it's just not enough of them. As someone who follows recruting closely, MD fell further behind with the 2023 and 2024 classes. And 2025 aint looking good either. Trouble is looming in college park.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Question from someone who doesn't follow recruiting at all, you say Maryland is losing recruits to UNC and BC, where does Syracuse fall in there (yes, I know about Wurzburger)? I know if I were a talented young wlaxer and watched that coach play in the world tourney and watched the way that team plays the game, that's where I'd want to go play.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

On Maryland, my two cents (and that is exactly what they are worth, adjusted for inflation).

Maryland defense will be pretty good come the end of the year if they remain healthy. The unit held a good team to 8 goals yesterday. They clear well enough. Goalkeeping is good. If I'm a Maryland fan, that end of the field is not my worry. Neither are draws; Ahearn does a nice job and the circle women (particularly No. 1) are good and tough.

Offense is the issue. Ball movement against the JMU zone was slower than it had to be, and essentially aimed toward the end at getting FPSs, rather than breaking down the defense in the course of play. They do not appear -- save for maybe No. 40 -- to have a player who can dodge and shoot effectively and consistently. No Cummings; no Jen Giles; no McPartland.

I think that No. 6 needs to go to the cage more than she does, if only to make the defense identify her as a threat. She has to draw a double to create opportunities for May and others cutting into the meat of the Eight Meter area, and doesn't do that enough. This is the "boy do they miss Cordingly" lament, because she drew lots of attention and when she didn't, she got to the goal-mouth.

Interested in other folks thoughts.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Queens gets its first D1 wind by beating Gardner-Webb yesterday. Congrats to them.

Will they deny fellow D2 alum Stonehill their first win of their D1 tenure Saturday?
Womenslaxxfan

Post by Womenslaxxfan »

DMac wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 8:04 am Question from someone who doesn't follow recruiting at all, you say Maryland is losing recruits to UNC and BC, where does Syracuse fall in there (yes, I know about Wurzburger)? I know if I were a talented young wlaxer and watched that coach play in the world tourney and watched the way that team plays the game, that's where I'd want to go play.
Amen! The coach is the best woman player ever….and the team plays unselfish great looking lacrosse. But 16 year old girls and their families make decisions on where to go to college on lots of factors…not just who has the hot team or where they think they are most likely to win a. Ario Al championship. Distance from home. Reputation of the coach in terms of treatment of players. Weather. This stuff ebbs and flows. Unc and bc are the “it girls” now and they deserve it given the level of success they’ve had over the past 5 years. But it will change.
And I personally don’t ascribe to the “maryland isn’t winning bc they didn’t get great talent in recruiting” theory. Sometimes recruit classes work and sometimes they don’t. Maryland has always had a top 4 class. That’s plenty good. Sometimes chemistry also plays a role and it’s clear that Cordingly provided “positive” chemistry and so far it’s still to be determined if the grad students this year will provide the same. So far, not really.
njbill

Post by njbill »

As to Maryland, the question in my mind would be the extent to which they are keeping top in-state talent these days. For many years, they did an excellent job in that regard. The list is breathtaking.

I’m not currently close enough to the situation to know whether Maryland is still attracting the comparatively high percentage of top local talent that it has in the past. And as the years go by, the very tip top talent is getting spread around geographically. The player who some think is the favorite for this year’s Tewaaraton is from Michigan. The player who won the award the last two years was from Texas.

As to Syracuse, Treanor has just now recruited her first class of athletes. They won’t show up for practice until August 2024 and won’t play for the Orange until the winter (would like to say spring, but in truth, it’s winter) of 2025. Far be it from me to speculate on what would motivate a teenage girl, but I would think playing for Kayla Treanor would be a huge attraction.

Edit: Oops. I guess she recruited her first class the year before, starting in September 2021. But still, those kids haven’t yet arrived on campus.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”