University of Miami Women's Lacrosse

D1 Womens Lacrosse
maggie.boyle2025

University of Miami Women's Lacrosse

Post by maggie.boyle2025 »

Back in 2004 The University of Miami Athletic Department announced they were adding women’s lacrosse as a varsity sport beginning in the spring of 2007. I was wondering what happened.
here is a link to the article- https://miamihurricanes.com/news/2004/1 ... 5552748-2/
wlaxphan20

Re: University of Miami Women's Lacrosse

Post by wlaxphan20 »

maggie.boyle2025 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:29 am Back in 2004 The University of Miami Athletic Department announced they were adding women’s lacrosse as a varsity sport beginning in the spring of 2007. I was wondering what happened.
here is a link to the article- https://miamihurricanes.com/news/2004/1 ... 5552748-2/
A similar thing happened at the University of South Carolina around that time as well
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

maggie.boyle2025 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 7:29 am Back in 2004 The University of Miami Athletic Department announced they were adding women’s lacrosse as a varsity sport beginning in the spring of 2007. I was wondering what happened.
:?
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Both Miami and SC would be doing well by now with their student profiles. Miami hired the Ohio AD in 2008 who previously cut Ohio's wlax team. So any hope left at that point was probably lost.

FSU was reportedly close to adding both mlax and wlax a decade or more ago, but the trustee politics didn't work out or something like that.

Either way we're down to just 4 teams without wlax in the ACC with the addition of Clemson and Pitt - that's pretty impressive. Would be fun to see a full ACC slate on both the men's and women's side. Anyone got $50M laying around to throw at each school to add lacrosse? Even then you gotta play politics correctly, or you get shot down a la FSU.
maggie.boyle2025

Post by maggie.boyle2025 »

The AD from umiami no longer works there. So, are you basically saying that it’s just a money problem?
watcherinthewoods

Post by watcherinthewoods »

The AD at Wake Forest (my alma mater) went on the record publicly and said they would be happy to add men’s and women’s lax if someone would come up with $60m. That was around 5 years ago, so assume the price tag has gone up. If the trend toward consolidation in football continues and the ACC stays on the losing end, lax might become more attractive.
Dr. Tact

Post by Dr. Tact »

watcherinthewoods wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:04 pm The AD at Wake Forest (my alma mater) went on the record publicly and said they would be happy to add men’s and women’s lax if someone would come up with $60m. That was around 5 years ago, so assume the price tag has gone up. If the trend toward consolidation in football continues and the ACC stays on the losing end, lax might become more attractive.
60 Million? for lacrosse?
wlaxphan20

Post by wlaxphan20 »

Dr. Tact wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:14 pm
watcherinthewoods wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:04 pm The AD at Wake Forest (my alma mater) went on the record publicly and said they would be happy to add men’s and women’s lax if someone would come up with $60m. That was around 5 years ago, so assume the price tag has gone up. If the trend toward consolidation in football continues and the ACC stays on the losing end, lax might become more attractive.
60 Million? for lacrosse?
That seemed high to me too…they have men’s & women's soccer as well as field hockey, so I’d think a new venue wouldn’t be necessary, but what do I know.
hsllax

Post by hsllax »

$60m is probably about right. Assuming you’re all in on creating the program, you’d want to endow it so $60m generally harvests a little under $3m per year. For a fully funded program, you’re looking at about $1m/ year In scholarship money, $1m on coaches, support staff etc, $1m on travel, equipment etc. Those are very ballpark numbers but in the realm of correct for an ACC or similar level school.
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

hsllax wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:08 am $60m is probably about right. Assuming you’re all in on creating the program, you’d want to endow it so $60m generally harvests a little under $3m per year. For a fully funded program, you’re looking at about $1m/ year In scholarship money, $1m on coaches, support staff etc, $1m on travel, equipment etc. Those are very ballpark numbers but in the realm of correct for an ACC or similar level school.
I went to school with the AD at Wake and asked him about women's lacrosse a couple years ago. He said they'd love to add it if I could find him $3mm a year.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”