10stone5

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by 10stone5 »

Tewaaraton Winner Ian Krampf
Make it happen 👍
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Well there's the DP/BB 1.0 offense which is really holding over the DP/ST offense, the DP/BB 2.0 offense, then the PM/JG offense, and now the PM/JC offense

the DP/BB 1.0 offense was predicated heavily on spreading things out for a single midfielder to isolate and dodge from up top; the old 1-4-1 double mumbo set that everyone ran. 1 middie up top, 4 guys in a line across, 1 X behind. the middie split dodges, skip passes, two guys seal, and then you have an attackmen for a shot or find the x guy curling from behind. The thing with this is it just got stale, everyone ran it, and again it's sort of a different way of running what they ran with Harrison and Rabil and Peyser except instead of those guys dodging down the alley for themselves and scoring you had good but less talented guys trying to draw slides to make difficult passes to then either hit hard outside shots or make even further difficult passes for lay-ups. Just not a very efficient way of running offense

DP/BB 2.0 offense was built around the Stanwicks, putting shooters with him at attack, and speed at midfield. Have defenses focus as much attention as possible on the Stanwicks and how they can manipulate two man pick games, when this forces defenses to over extend and slide, you leave open extremely dangerous shooters (Ryan Brown, Kyle Marr.) Then, to unbalance them, and make sure they can't just throw their poles at the attack and take the Stanwicks away easily, have speed dodgers who can abuse shortie match-ups. Reed, Crawley, Tinney. This was the real hinge point. When Benson could focus on this, he could just make your life miserable. Because he hunts match-ups on shorties as well as anyone. He did it to Maryland in 15 and 18. But when they lacked the middies it became easier for teams to just focus on taking away the attack, which is what Maryland did in 16 and 17.

PM/JG offense felt like Milliman trying to combine what he did at Cornell with a lot of Canadian players and Junior's box lacrosse background and box principles except they...didn't have the players for it at Hopkins and it just did not go well. Didn't mesh. In theory when you saw what Milliman did at Cornell maybe could have worked but they didn't have those types of guys at Hop and frankly don't think Junior really knew how to adjust at all.

PM/JC is basically very similar to DP/BB 2.0 as Crawley is heavily influenced by Benson. Hate to say "positionless" as it's very overused, but yeah, they are usually putting out the 6 best offensive players that they have, trying to find 6 guys that can all handle the ball, all be good passers, willing off ball cutters, a lot of constant movement of personnel at all time (you see this quite often), and this creates a lot for the defense to handle that gets them a lot of open looks. The one they're lacking is the shooters that Benson had and the dodgers. They don't have the personnel. But you see the outline of it and the principles in place. The proof of concept is there, they're executing it. It's just hard with limited personnel already and then injuries.

Anyhow, there ya go
Lawdawg100

Post by Lawdawg100 »

Russell Melendez is the best thing for Hopkins since Paul Rabil. Try and change my mind.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Lawdawg100 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:16 pm Russell Melendez is the best thing for Hopkins since Paul Rabil. Try and change my mind.
Tough to disagree with GBs like this one:

https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 4820680710
Lawdawg100

Post by Lawdawg100 »

As well as, Hopkins should have never fired Coach Petro ever. Have heard that from a wide variety of alums as well as Hopkins would have done a lot better these years than Milliman has done if Petro was there. At least making the playoffs as well a a championship weekend appearance.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Lawdawg100 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:22 pm As well as, Hopkins should have never fired Coach Petro ever. Have heard that from a wide variety of alums as well as Hopkins would have done a lot better these years than Milliman has done if Petro was there. At least making the playoffs as well a a championship weekend appearance.
Was it losing four in a row to our biggest rivals by a combined 23 goals or needing overtime to beat Mount St. Mary's at home what led you to this conclusion?

How's the big guy's defense at Syracuse been doing the last few years?

I get that you're trolling but you've gotta try a little harder at least. Petro had and still has his loyalists who wish he wasn't let go but absolutely no one can say we'd have made a Final Four in the last two seasons with a straight face. Maybe with some clown makeup on.
Lawdawg100

Post by Lawdawg100 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:29 pm
Lawdawg100 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:22 pm As well as, Hopkins should have never fired Coach Petro ever. Have heard that from a wide variety of alums as well as Hopkins would have done a lot better these years than Milliman has done if Petro was there. At least making the playoffs as well a a championship weekend appearance.
Was it losing four in a row to our biggest rivals by a combined 23 goals or needing overtime to beat Mount St. Mary's at home what led you to this conclusion?

I get that you're trolling but you've gotta try a little harder at least. Petro had and still has his loyalists who wish he wasn't let go but absolutely no one can say we'd have made a Final Four in the last two seasons with a straight face. Maybe with some clown makeup on.
‘Cuse D is top 10 this year so far in defense efficiency. 2020 was the year for Hopkins but Covid shut them down. Hopkins was starting to hit their stride on the field as well as getting many top recruits. The last two years ‘Cuse had played Maryland are the two closest games between the two teams in the last decade.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Lawdawg100 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:33 pm 2020 was the year for Hopkins but Covid shut them down.
I long for the days when this board has higher quality trolls. Sigh....
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Nadelen's 6 minute post game press conference from their match focused repeatedly on the awful wing play from towson. This site has all the faceoffs and a lot of the scoring from that game since it's behind that awful flosports paywall

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMkF_-rJ1v0
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

primitiveskills wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:01 pm
Lawdawg100 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:33 pm 2020 was the year for Hopkins but Covid shut them down.
I long for the days when this board has higher quality trolls. Sigh....
:lol:
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Lawdawg100 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:16 pm Russell Melendez is the best thing for Hopkins since Paul Rabil. Try and change my mind.
:lol: :lol:
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:32 pm
:lol: :lol:
Melendez and Rabil are two very different players. ;)

I like the skill set Melendez has brought to the Blue Jays. :D

Collison has the size and strength of Rabil, but I think he lacks Rabil’s speed and overall athleticism.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:20 pm
Tough to disagree with GBs like this one:

https://twitter.com/jhumenslacrosse/sta ... 4820680710
Highlight of the game for me.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

In terms of offense and the different styles - I believe it can be summed up by the following opinion and then the following fact:
Opinion - Not only are the Jimmys and Joes more important than the Xs and Os - the Jimmys and Joes - in the hands of a decent offensive coordinator - drive the Xs and Os to a great degree
Fact - Johns Hopkins has not had a first team All American attackman since Kyle Barrie in 2003

If you look at the 2003 team - the best offense Hopkins has had in the 21st century and its not even close really - the abundance of riches included all the right pieces at attack - two very mobile sophomores in Barrie and LeSueur an elite finisher in Benson and Hybrids like Ford and Kevin Boland to complement the dodging of Donegar/Harrison/Peyser. 151 of the 224 goals were assisted - that's absurd. Contrast that with the undefeated 2005 team where only 92 of the 186 goals were assisted. Same OC. Why? Because Barrie was a shell of himself through injuries - Rewkowski an AA attackman at Duke was running around the mid-field with a knee brace the size of Kansas - Huntley was a freshman (already close to an elite finisher but not a dodger really) and what the team had was middies who could go get it themselves (and of course someone who would not let the team lose in Harry). Then after Rabil and Huntley left - the real drought of dodging creative attackman that could go score or create real problems to open it up for others started. 2009 had a decent attack in a relatively healthy Chris Boland/Wharton/Boyle but no middies. Kimmel was around back then but played mostly middie. Then the Ranagans etc. started to filter in - Attack was some combo of Benn (finisher), Palmer (undersized and could get you a Sportscenter highlight every once in a while but another Canadian finisher. The last time Hopkins was #1 the attack was Palmer/Benn/Boland (hurt only played in 9 games) and Wells had started to ascend. The Stanwicks had almost every quality you look for in an attackmen - they were completely unselfish, they had lacrosse IQ of an extremely high level, they were exceptional passers and opportunistic scorers - but both of them were not elite in footspeed and quickness - you had to pay close attention to them because they would pick your pocket in an instant but they were not give it me and I am going to score. Make no mistake - anytime you are top 10 all time in assists and points for a program you belong on the All time Hopkins team. You still had some elite shooters like Brown and the attack line of Stanwick/Stanwick and Brown was the closest thing to what Tierney and Petro had in the early days. Palasek was supposed to help that problem but Petro ran him off (LOL) Epstein was supposed to solve that problem but blew out his knee after a great freshman year on a not very good team. So not to put unwarranted pressure on him but Jimmy Ayers is a very important recruit next year - especially if Angelus goes on with life or Milliman tells him to "Hit the Road" (I'm killing it)
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Lawdawg100 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:33 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:29 pm

‘Cuse D is top 10 this year so far in defense efficiency. 2020 was the year for Hopkins but Covid shut them down. Hopkins was starting to hit their stride on the field as well as getting many top recruits. The last two years ‘Cuse had played Maryland are the two closest games between the two teams in the last decade.
Hopkins was starting to hit their stride when the season ended in 2000!? LOL! They were 2-4, had lost four straight, and needed to make a comeback just to force OT with Mount St. Mary’s!
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

gymman1031 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:20 pm Hopkins was starting to hit their stride when the season ended in 2000!? LOL! They were 2-4, had lost four straight, and needed to make a comeback just to force OT with Mount St. Mary’s!
He's either on bath salts or is just trolling. Either way, don't feed into it

Back to the offense/schemes — what we're running now is fairly similar to what Benson ran from 2014 to 2020. Some new wrinkles here and there but at the end of the day a motion offense is a motion offense. It's definitely more positionless now than it used to be though. I've liked the spacing in the offense this year, feels like the field is always pretty balanced and guys aren't running into each other or having to pass long distances which invites poor fundamentals. But there's still a long way to go for it to be a unit that scares defenses.

Saturday's game could be high scoring. Zach Cole gets St. Joe's the ball and that offense can score and score quickly. If the last year or so is any indication they won't be the toughest defense we face so we should, one hopes, be able to put some points on the board when the ball's on our end. I'd expect Cole to win the majority of faceoffs — he's very good — but our guys should be able to scrape together some wins and keep it within shouting distance. Think the more efficient team will win. Jays opened as 1.5 pt underdogs at home. This is an important one. A win goes a long way — increases the odds of .500 or better and gets you another important top 20 OOC win over a team we could be on the bubble with. At the risk of drawing too grand of a conclusion given there still are lots of big games to go, I think this is the kind of game that, if this team is for real, they will find a way to win.
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

Massey has the Jays -3.5
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
Hopfan

Post by Hopfan »

New 2024 commit: 3* Carmelo Pace, 5’11”, 155, a likely ssdm from Smithtown (LI), decommitted from Army.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:27 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:20 pm Hopkins was starting to hit their stride when the season ended in 2000!? LOL! They were 2-4, had lost four straight, and needed to make a comeback just to force OT with Mount St. Mary’s!

Back to the offense/schemes — what we're running now is fairly similar to what Benson ran from 2014 to 2020. Some new wrinkles here and there but at the end of the day a motion offense is a motion offense. It's definitely more positionless now than it used to be though. I've liked the spacing in the offense this year, feels like the field is always pretty balanced and guys aren't running into each other or having to pass long distances which invites poor fundamentals. But there's still a long way to go for it to be a unit that scares defenses.

Saturday's game could be high scoring. Zach Cole gets St. Joe's the ball and that offense can score and score quickly. If the last year or so is any indication they won't be the toughest defense we face so we should, one hopes, be able to put some points on the board when the ball's on our end. I'd expect Cole to win the majority of faceoffs — he's very good — but our guys should be able to scrape together some wins and keep it within shouting distance. Think the more efficient team will win. Jays opened as 1.5 pt underdogs at home. This is an important one. A win goes a long way — increases the odds of .500 or better and gets you another important top 20 OOC win over a team we could be on the bubble with. At the risk of drawing too grand of a conclusion given there still are lots of big games to go, I think this is the kind of game that, if this team is for real, they will find a way to win.
They need to find their best wings and faceoff guys and start them. In a lot of games it's been show up and figure out who is performing or not at faceoff that day. They need this resolved going into the game so we're not trying to play catch up all day.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:57 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:27 pm

They need to find their best wings and faceoff guys and start them. In a lot of games it's been show up and figure out who is performing or not at faceoff that day. They need this resolved going into the game so we're not trying to play catch up all day.
Do you watch the games? It's entirely matchup based. Dunn and Callahan are stylistically *completely* different. That's why it's been a different guy every game. It depends on the opposing FOGO. Do you really need this explained to you? It's a miracle we have two capable guys given that the #1 hasn't taken a draw yet this year.

Cole is 77% on the year, 68% for his career, and has not finished a game below 50% since 2021. Part of that has been competition as St. Joe's doesn't exactly face a murderer's row of FOGOs on their schedule but it would be unwise to assume that streak will ends against us. Still, I don't think faceoffs will decide this. Our group should win enough to keep us in it.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”