Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
ardilla secreta

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by ardilla secreta »

Paupiettes de Sole a la Vapeur au Pommes de terre tournées.
This is a favorite of mine and really not that hard to do. The tournée or turned potato takes some skill and is optional.

Cut the sole in half lengthwise. Yu want to season and place stuffing on skin side as it naturally curls when cooked. I generally use pre-sautéed spinach or leeks. Roll up starting from the head and secure with a toothpick. Three per person is typical.

To cook, sauté small dice shallots in butter then add enough white wine, fish stock or water to cover the bottom then add the paupiettes and cover on medium heat. Fish is done when it turns opaque.

When done, plate the fish and on higher heat add either knobs of butter or cream and reduce. If you use butter you need to keep it moving so it doesn’t break. In this dish I added saffron and cream and reduced until it coats the back of spoon (achieving nappe). Be careful not to over thicken the cream.

I prefer to steam the potatoes but can be simmered in water.
ED323F61-F90F-4F8D-84A1-28069973C739.jpeg
ED323F61-F90F-4F8D-84A1-28069973C739.jpeg (101.78 KiB) Viewed 969 times
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:14 am Paupiettes de Sole a la Vapeur au Pommes de terre tournées.
This is a favorite of mine and really not that hard to do. The tournée or turned potato takes some skill and is optional.

Cut the sole in half lengthwise. Yu want to season and place stuffing on skin side as it naturally curls when cooked. I generally use pre-sautéed spinach or leeks. Roll up starting from the head and secure with a toothpick. Three per person is typical.

To cook, sauté small dice shallots in butter then add enough white wine, fish stock or water to cover the bottom then add the paupiettes and cover on medium heat. Fish is done when it turns opaque.

When done, plate the fish and on higher heat add either knobs of butter or cream and reduce. If you use butter you need to keep it moving so it doesn’t break. In this dish I added saffron and cream and reduced until it coats the back of spoon (achieving nappe). Be careful not to over thicken the cream.

That looks and sounds awesome but no way I don’t destroy it in preparation.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
DMac

Post by DMac »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:14 am Paupiettes de Sole a la Vapeur au Pommes de terre tournées.

Damn, that looks good, a s, mighty fancy with a nice presentation too.
Bet that sauce is good, gotta have a nice piece of bread with that.
DMac

Post by DMac »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:11 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:43 pm My daughter is a Girl Scout. Important information below. (Haven’t tried them but this sounds like a good Ike if not better than the best which is inarguably Samoa’s-I won’t tolerate any arguments on this topic, even from thin mint fans):
NO argument here.....I will say thin mints go incredibly well with a dram or 2 of bourbon. NOt to mention the tag-a-longs.

Secret for everyone - Aldi has Samoas all year long: https://www.delish.com/food-news/a22737 ... t-cookies/
Went to Aldi this morning and, well...
Just hoping they're not all gone by this evening,
wouldn't put a lot of money on that though.
(I was already in on the secret.)
ardilla secreta

Haven’t been to Aldi in awhile. They always do have good cookies and chocolates. I’ll have to stop.

Just had lunch at Hayes Seafood House in Clarence, NY.
Struck gold with fried halibut sandwich.
58F6655A-DF24-4703-B4D5-3D71F8C412E3.jpeg
58F6655A-DF24-4703-B4D5-3D71F8C412E3.jpeg (98.84 KiB) Viewed 954 times
BB4D462E-1289-4983-ADF5-AA9C6B49F71E.jpeg
BB4D462E-1289-4983-ADF5-AA9C6B49F71E.jpeg (120.59 KiB) Viewed 953 times
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

DMac wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:30 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:43 pm My daughter is a Girl Scout. Important information below. (Haven’t tried them but this sounds like a good Ike if not better than the best which is inarguably Samoa’s-I won’t tolerate any arguments on this topic, even from thin mint fans):
NO argument here.....I will say thin mints go incredibly well with a dram or 2 of bourbon. NOt to mention the tag-a-longs.

Secret for everyone - Aldi has Samoas all year long: https://www.delish.com/food-news/a22737 ... t-cookies/
Made my day seeing this.....enjoy every morsel.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 2:07 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:11 pm Secret for everyone - Aldi has Samoas all year long: https://www.delish.com/food-news/a22737 ... t-cookies/
Made my day seeing this.....enjoy every morsel.
We have a relatively new Aldi's down the street. This is good to know!
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
ardilla secreta

Stopped there today and got two boxes of their coconut caramel fudge stripe cookie. Absolutely delicious and you don’t have to take a beat down from a Girl Scout.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Happy to have helped.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 1:12 pm Haven’t been to Aldi in awhile. They always do have good cookies and chocolates. I’ll have to stop.

Just had lunch at Hayes Seafood House in Clarence, NY.
Struck gold with fried halibut sandwich.

58F6655A-DF24-4703-B4D5-3D71F8C412E3.jpegBB4D462E-1289-4983-ADF5-AA9C6B49F71E.jpeg
Halibut!! Incredible find.
“I wish you would!”
ardilla secreta

For Saturday night’s dinner had whole Bronzino stuffed with shallots, lemon and thyme sprigs then roasted. I then deboned the fish (had a cigarette afterwards) and plated over a mix of roasted peppers, olives and lemon zest, served with roasted baby Yukons and Roma tomatoes and braised fennel. The wine was a vivacious Ve-ve Vinho Verde, the quintessential seafood wine from Portugal.
6EA79958-974F-438F-80CC-3303FDE97AAC.jpeg
6EA79958-974F-438F-80CC-3303FDE97AAC.jpeg (128.83 KiB) Viewed 878 times
DMac

Post by DMac »

Nice, looks really good.
Know nothing about Bronzino, nice looking fish though.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

DMac wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 3:55 pm Nice, looks really good.
Know nothing about Bronzino, nice looking fish though.
AKA European sea bass. Very big in Italy.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

This looks amazing....anyone ever tried it?

~Livy

Kismet

Post by Kismet »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 4:06 pm

Stopped there today and got two boxes of their coconut caramel fudge stripe cookie. Absolutely delicious and you don’t have to take a beat down from a Girl Scout.
Sold-Out Girl Scout Cookie Flavor Hits the Resale Market

"ingle boxes of the Raspberry Rally cookies, which cost from $4 to $7, are selling for as much as five times the usual price. Girl Scouts of the U.S.A., which notes that cookie sales fund troop activities, expressed dismay."
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

8-) This is food related...no? https://www.youtube.com/shorts/P2S4juKoEmk
~Livy

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

youthathletics wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:28 pm 8-) This is food related...no? https://www.youtube.com/shorts/P2S4juKoEmk

Confession: it never ceases to amaze me how often female cooks present cleavage in their shows both on YT and on the Food network. When they go on PBS they have to re-tape the show in order to avoid such revelations. :lol:
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Am watching the NCAA RO16s and having a banana-cocoa-peach jam-mocha. Yum.

Sorry, no pic. :D
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Brooklyn

Re: Food thread - An Epiphany!!

Post by Brooklyn »

Boston Dad prays for a New England heretic's coffee salvation. :lol:

ardilla secreta

Philippe the Original. Old photo I took of an American classic. Alleged home of the French dip sandwich that’s been around since 1908 and sits on the edge of downtown Los Angeles near Union Station.

Been awhile, but it’s not only a very good sandwich but a unique place where the communal tables could be shared by the down and out and business elite. Coffee is only .46 cents, iced tea .80 cents. They also offer some higher end wines by the glass.
IMG_9290.jpeg
IMG_9290.jpeg (93.39 KiB) Viewed 657 times

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”