Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wahoomurf wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:52 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:42 am 5 PM EST. Cornell @ Hobart. No cost.
Snow situation?
Got 2-3" overnight looking at around 35 at gametime.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
bwparker1

Post by bwparker1 »

Anyone on this forum doing lacrosse betting on DraftKings? I’ve passed on the first couple Cornell games and thinking about getting in for today. They have Cornell favored by 7 1/2 goals and the over under is 26 1/2. I’m Thinking Under. Not sure BigRed can pull off a 8 goal Win
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bwparker1 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:42 pm Anyone on this forum doing lacrosse betting on DraftKings? I’ve passed on the first couple Cornell games and thinking about getting in for today. They have Cornell favored by 7 1/2 goals and the over under is 26 1/2. I’m Thinking Under. Not sure BigRed can pull off a 8 goal Win
Over better bet than taking cornell
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Weather may be a factor...I'm inclined to think under, but Hobart D can turn porous quickly, see Lehigh.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:47 pm Weather may be a factor...I'm inclined to think under, but Hobart D can turn porous quickly, see Lehigh.
Yeah between weather and Cornell’s strong D but offensive isn’t our problem. And we will probably give up well north of 13.
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

Cornell is just incredibly sloppy from 10 minutes to go in the 2nd quarter into the early part of the 2nd half
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

While it might not be a pretty win, I do hope that the Big Red might be able to substitute and rest the starters for OSU.

The Hobart radio announcer is excellent.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Real good consistency this year from Andrew Dalton, which I’m sure everyone had been hoping for,

and also, a Charlie Box sighting,
plus a Rory Graham sighting.
laxfan1313

Post by laxfan1313 »

Looks like Cascadden is taking over the faceoff X. he went 7/11 while Petrakis struggled I think 5/14. I would have preferred Knust to play the entire 4th quarter rather than just 5 minutes. Psyllos is doing a great job on the wing on faceoffs and when he took faceoffs Cascadden was on the wing. Great coaching. I'm concerned the scoring isn't sufficiently balanced. C J Kirst going 7-4 is impressive but what will happen if he starts getting the Teat treatment. Obviously, we need Long back in action. Next up the Buckeyes! GO BIG RED!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Kirst with 11 points (7,4)... wow. He is listed on the roster as 6'1" and 190lbs. I think that this might slightly understate his size. Certainly this roster stat understates his strength.

I do hope that the Cornell sports information people discontinue the use of "sock trick"... that terminology is recent indoor lacrosse designation tied to one specific team. It has no real meaningful history in the sport.
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Duplicate post
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

A good game for Cornell's team development. And a lesson learned or two as well. In all due respect to Hobart - give them credit - they worked hard. Even had Cornell on their heels for a bit. Bottom line - Cornell just has more better players, a few of which are at the elite D1 level. Makes a big difference.
Lesson for Coach B - in all of my years following Cornell Lax, I've never seen a coach substitute as extensively & as early (10.5 minutes left in 2nd quarter). The boys soon lost their rhythm, continuity, mojo, whatever. Plus there were some good aggressive hits by Hobart on what I would not call failed Cornell clears; rather, Hobart made a number of aggressive, timely checks almost as soon as Cornell players had picked up GBs. I also thought Hobart had better team speed than UA and Lehigh...at least for a while.
Offense: good ball movement, unselfish - again, very different that the UA game when there was far too much trying to win 1 v 1 matchups.
-I have not "bothered" to write about Kirst after games 1 and 2. Suffice to say that he can simply do things offensively that very few players can. In particular, his 3rd or 4th quarter goal, with the shot clock close to 0 - most players wouldn't have been able to get a shot off, no less get their hands free and score.
-Good day for Piatelli. One that Wirtheim certainly wants to forget. So far, he doesn't see to fit well with 27 and 2. Blake looked more comfortable, more active. 'Missed a "layup" though. A few times in the 2nd half it looked as if Coach B ran the 2nd line two of three possessions. Once again, the 2nd line looked cohesive. Great game by Dalton. He's got a lefty sidearm rocket. "Finally" looked like what many of us saw on his HS junior tape.
-Finally saw Abladian. Looked shifty, credible...but may not be as "gritty" or experienced in the system as Piatelli. Good to see Holmes on the field. I'd like to see (a lot) more of him.
Defense. Once again, the close guys looked well connected. For the most part, good judgement on slides and shows. But - get ready for a big step up in competition the next 4 weekends - OSU, Penn St, Yale, and Penn.
-I'm not sure what Stevens is doing at LSM behind Staub. Rayhill has been the #2. Today he shared the role with Boccoafola (who may not be physically sound - looked a step late when on the field). Lots of PT for Walker Wallace.
-Chris Davis - reminds me of Bardwell in that I'll take a player like him on my team any day. Clearly, he's the alpha of the ss group. Had a few great clears in heavy traffic.
-The first 3 games on the schedule have been fortuitous: gave the coaches the chance to (start to) deal with the ss group. Kyle Smith was not dressed today. This put Chabot back in the rotation and Charlie Box a regular spot. I though Box handled himself well for his first time out. I look to him as the #4 going forward.
FOGO: Cascadden - he certainly looks ready to split time evenly. 'Better gaining and with possession than 28. The timing of his development going into this Saturday couldn't be better. Psyllos had a nice active game on the wing. Late in the game, Stevens reversed things and had Psyllos take a draw with Cascadden on a wing.
Other:
-Need to clean up the ride against pressure.
-Twice (I think consecutively) in the 2nd or 3rd quarters - we were called for having 7 men a defense. I don't think Coach B was very happy.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Tonight's stars were all the guys who worked so hard on GROUNDBALLS. I don't know what the final stats were but at one point I believe the announcer said 38-20. That is a mind boggling stat. Cornell literally has a bunch of Vaccum cleaners on both sides of the field and this stat is a direct reflection of our great coaches who preach hard work and especially the non-glamouous stats like Groundballs and Caused Turnovers.

OK, star of the game was Chayse. He was seeing the ball so well and was making tough saves look easy all night. With this defense which has not allowed more than 10 goals, and Chayse standing on his head, wow, Cornell is a tough out for anyone.

It's just incredible that we go back about 10 years and we had Pannell, then next up Teat, and now Kirst, and I'm not sure that they have gotten better each time but if Teat was as good as Pannell, and now is Kirst as good as Teat, how lucky are we to have that go to guy.

All this without Long.

Cascadden as I said last week is a beast and Psyllos is a GB machine.

Are they still struggling at times? Sure but I have so much faith in these players and coaches, to keep getting better as they did last year.

On to OSU.

GOBIGRED
JOEWILLIE78
Chousnake

Post by Chousnake »

VeryRustyRed wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 8:38 pm A good game for Cornell's team development. And a lesson learned or two as well. In all due respect to Hobart - give them credit - they worked hard. Even had Cornell on their heels for a bit. Bottom line - Cornell just has more better players, a few of which are at the elite D1 level. Makes a big difference.
Lesson for Coach B - in all of my years following Cornell Lax, I've never seen a coach substitute as extensively & as early (10.5 minutes left in 2nd quarter). The boys soon lost their rhythm, continuity, mojo, whatever. Plus there were some good aggressive hits by Hobart on what I would not call failed Cornell clears; rather, Hobart made a number of aggressive, timely checks almost as soon as Cornell players had picked up GBs. I also thought Hobart had better team speed than UA and Lehigh...at least for a while.
Offense: good ball movement, unselfish - again, very different that the UA game when there was far too much trying to win 1 v 1 matchups.
-I have not "bothered" to write about Kirst after games 1 and 2. Suffice to say that he can simply do things offensively that very few players can. In particular, his 3rd or 4th quarter goal, with the shot clock close to 0 - most players wouldn't have been able to get a shot off, no less get their hands free and score.
-Good day for Piatelli. One that Wirtheim certainly wants to forget. So far, he doesn't see to fit well with 27 and 2. Blake looked more comfortable, more active. 'Missed a "layup" though. A few times in the 2nd half it looked as if Coach B ran the 2nd line two of three possessions. Once again, the 2nd line looked cohesive. Great game by Dalton. He's got a lefty sidearm rocket. "Finally" looked like what many of us saw on his HS junior tape.
-Finally saw Abladian. Looked shifty, credible...but may not be as "gritty" or experienced in the system as Piatelli. Good to see Holmes on the field. I'd like to see (a lot) more of him.
Defense. Once again, the close guys looked well connected. For the most part, good judgement on slides and shows. But - get ready for a big step up in competition the next 4 weekends - OSU, Penn St, Yale, and Penn.
-I'm not sure what Stevens is doing at LSM behind Staub. Rayhill has been the #2. Today he shared the role with Boccoafola (who may not be physically sound - looked a step late when on the field). Lots of PT for Walker Wallace.
-Chris Davis - reminds me of Bardwell in that I'll take a player like him on my team any day. Clearly, he's the alpha of the ss group. Had a few great clears in heavy traffic.
-The first 3 games on the schedule have been fortuitous: gave the coaches the chance to (start to) deal with the ss group. Kyle Smith was not dressed today. This put Chabot back in the rotation and Charlie Box a regular spot. I though Box handled himself well for his first time out. I look to him as the #4 going forward.
FOGO: Cascadden - he certainly looks ready to split time evenly. 'Better gaining and with possession than 28. The timing of his development going into this Saturday couldn't be better. Psyllos had a nice active game on the wing. Late in the game, Stevens reversed things and had Psyllos take a draw with Cascadden on a wing.
Other:
-Need to clean up the ride against pressure.
-Twice (I think consecutively) in the 2nd or 3rd quarters - we were called for having 7 men a defense. I don't think Coach B was very happy.
Great summary VRR as usual. I would add a couple of things.

When Cornell got very sloppy and/or complacent in the 2nd quarter, Ierlan really stepped up. He had a tremendous game overall both in net and on clears, but he made a number of key stops when the game was still in doubt and Cornell almost let Hobart back in the game. In a game when the offense put up 17 goals, he was the key to the game.

Cascadden is really impressive and deserves more than a 50/50 split, particularly with the upcoming schedule. Cornell can't afford to give up possessions in close games. The achilles heal vs Yale the past few years and the key to them almost coming back from 12-5 last year was dominance at the face-off X.

The ball movement was much better than the 1st two games. That was Cornell lacrosse today.

Cornell has to cut down on the turnovers. Most of them are mental rather than physical mistakes. Often it is best to control the ball and run to space rather than to advance the ball or make a tough pass.

This can be a very dangerous team when Long gets healthy. The decision the coaches have to make is what to do with Coyle/Piatelli when Long gets back. Does Coyle stay at attack and Piatelli moves to the bench or does Coyle move to the first midfield group?

Great win today. It was good to relax halfway through the 3rd quarter.

The Hobart announcer was knowledgeable, but his homerism took over in the second half when he started complaining about Cornell's ground ball edge being the product of luck. I thought Hobart got virtually every call today, so they had their share of luck too. Then when the teams started subbing late, he called Hobart's #2 Aiden Blake. I prefer Barry Leonard.

Lastly, laxfan1313 is right. If Cornell does not find more balance soon, we could see teams locking off Kirst. I think that problem goes away when Long takes the field. If we don't see him Saturday, let's hope that he's healthy for the Ivy schedule starting on March 18.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Congrats Cornell. You did exactly what I thought you would. It probably won't be your best game this season, but that didn't matter. Good luck the rest of the season!
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

oldbartman wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:18 pm Congrats Cornell. You did exactly what I thought you would. It probably won't be your best game this season, but that didn't matter. Good luck the rest of the season!
Classy as usual from all the Hobart posters. Your team played hard and never gave up. Good luck the rest of the year and this weekend against Romo.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
bwparker1

Post by bwparker1 »

Cornell looked very good. I did bet the under and it kind of played out as I imagined, although I thought I was toast at the beginning of the 4th… but CU subbed in backup players and Hobart was unable to get that last couple of goals. Congrats to Bug Red as well for covering the spread. I think most of us thought Hobart would score more goals than they did. I was thinking it would end up being 13 or 14 for a Big Red and 10 or 11 for Hobart. On to OSU!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

oldbartman wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:18 pm Congrats Cornell. You did exactly what I thought you would. It probably won't be your best game this season, but that didn't matter. Good luck the rest of the season!
Best of luck to the Statesmen the rest of the way.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Just saw the Groundball stat was 44-20. I don't know if I have ever seen such a huge disparity, even in the days of TD, at Albany and Yale as a faceoff freak.

The coaches have to be incredibly happy with that Stat.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

bwparker1 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:25 pm Cornell looked very good. I did bet the under and it kind of played out as I imagined, although I thought I was toast at the beginning of the 4th… but CU subbed in backup players and Hobart was unable to get that last couple of goals. Congrats to Bug Red as well for covering the spread. I think most of us thought Hobart would score more goals than they did. I was thinking it would end up being 13 or 14 for a Big Red and 10 or 11 for Hobart. On to OSU!
I had 18-13 in mind or something like that where you’d be up 16-8/9 or so going into 4th and we’d run some goals against your bench.

Go whip some Ivy and mid Atlantic a** now and make sure the rest of the universe knows how it’s done up on the finger lakes where we respect and revere our Native American forefathers.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”