Michigan 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
gymman1031

Re: Michigan 2023

Post by gymman1031 »

a fan wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:00 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:45 pm Don't agree with the idea that Michigan is just happy to have a program and doesn't care about winning. There are programs like that but I doubt Michigan is one of them. Do we really think the AD likes playing little brother to Ohio State in a new sport? If so, why even go D1? What was this all for? They don't need the extra tuition.
So why did the AD give Conry a "multi-year" extension?

My opinion is that he's patient, and knows Michigan is a tough sell for elite players, and knows Conry is doing a fine job with the situation he's in. What's your view as to why he did that?

For all the backseat drivers....who's the "can't miss" coach that's better than Conry? You guys have this all pegged, right? So who's guaranteed to beat O State and the other BigTen schools?

BTW----we heard this all before when Paul was coach. That "coaching was the problem". So they went out and got the Asst. for the NCAA champs, who knew how to win and how to recruit. Just like the backseat drivers asked.
Michigan, for so many reasons, is NOT a tough sell for 4* and higher players. Clearly, Paul "hit his ceiling" as to how high he could take the program. Yes, there are many established programs. But Michigan has so many things to offer. And that includes the possible opportunity for players to be a part of making the program, which has serious potential, great. God, I hope the coaches and other people highly associated with the program don't regular hear and see people say that Michigan is a tough sell for top talent. That would only lower their own standards.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:45 pm Don't agree with the idea that Michigan is just happy to have a program and doesn't care about winning. There are programs like that but I doubt Michigan is one of them. Do we really think the AD likes playing little brother to Ohio State in a new sport? If so, why even go D1? What was this all for? They don't need the extra tuition.

My opinion is that he's patient, and knows Michigan is a tough sell for elite players, and knows Conry is doing a fine job with the situation he's in. What's your view as to why he did that?
Conry made a convincing last-minute powerpoint presentation? One more chance to post some better results? They sure did it quietly. No press release, none of the usual quotes from the AD about how much of a good job the coach is doing (go read BU's announcement of Polley's extension from last week for some nice contrast), zero details at all, just a stray tweet and that was that. I'd be pretty surprised if the "multiyear" extension was for the standard 5 years. The way they handled it does not project much confidence. Since we're speculating about the AD's thinking, I'd say it's quite possible they wanted an extension on the books because that looks much better for current/future recruits than a lame duck does.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

‘21 and ‘22 classes: 11 4⭐️ and 1 5⭐️ recruit. Not bad for a school that’s tough to recruit to. 😂
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Formerhound wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:19 pm ‘21 and ‘22 classes: 11 4⭐️ and 1 5⭐️ recruit. Not bad for a school that’s tough to recruit to. 😂
LOL-Michigan just lost to a Marquette team that has very few highly-ranked recruits, started DI one year later, and has beaten many more solid teams in their history than Michigan has.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:24 pm
Formerhound wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:19 pm ‘21 and ‘22 classes: 11 4⭐️ and 1 5⭐️ recruit. Not bad for a school that’s tough to recruit to. 😂
LOL-For sure! By the way, Michigan just lost to a Marquette team that has very few highly-ranked recruits, started DI one year later, and has beaten many more solid teams in their history than Michigan has.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:27 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:24 pm
LOL-For sure! By the way, Michigan just lost to a Marquette team that is a much harder sell for talent, has very few highly-ranked recruits, started DI one year later, and has beaten many more solid teams in their history than Michigan has.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:12 pmConry made a convincing last-minute powerpoint presentation? One more chance to post some better results?
So then why wasn't it just for one year?

Basically, what you're saying is: to hell with what actually happened, Conry is obviously on his way out.

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:12 pm They sure did it quietly. No press release, none of the usual quotes from the AD about how much of a good job the coach is doing (go read BU's announcement of Polley's extension from last week for some nice contrast), zero details at all, just a stray tweet and that was that. I'd be pretty surprised if the "multiyear" extension was for the standard 5 years. The way they handled it does not project much confidence. Since we're speculating about the AD's thinking, I'd say it's quite possible they wanted an extension on the books because that looks much better for current/future recruits than a lame duck does.
Well that squares it. The AD is gonna fire Conry next week if he doesn't win.

Because it's not possible that a multiyear extension for a coach of a non-revenue sport that no one in Ann Arbor cares about is simply exactly what it says.....a mulit-year extension for a coach.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

This is Conry's first time EVER being a head coach. I'm not sure who was on the market for a job when they were hiring, but I do feel like he was not ready to be the HC of a BIG10 program. I coached a 4star that visited there, and he said Conry came off as pompous. Had the kid waiting over an hour in his office during a visit. It was so bad that Turri was stressing out and continuously apologizing to the kid and his parents.

I think there's something to be said when your number 1 and 2 assistants explored other options. Turri landed St Johns, and Rogowski almost took the NJIT job. Not mad at Turri for the move but when your Associate HC was willing to take a job at the worst D1 in college lacrosse, I do not take it as a good sign. The VA from last year, Murphy, was promised a seat at the table as a full-time guy, and then Conry never fulfilled those promises. Murphy is now the OC at Vermont. I'd imagine a lot of turnover from your coaching staff is never a good thing. Especially for a team trying to crack a top 20 list.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:41 pm
1766 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:20 pm Financing the purchasing of Twitter for $44B compared to paying out a lacrosse coach at Michigan who makes a few hundred grand. The silliness of this board knows no bounds.

Like saying two transfers would not be playing at OSU in 2023 silliness??? The reality is projecting and attributing motivations and goals without knowing context is silly
Yep it's all make it up and project with confidence and hope to convine/pull one over on folks. Rinse and repeat.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

1766 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:20 pm Financing the purchasing of Twitter for $44B compared to paying out a lacrosse coach at Michigan who makes a few hundred grand. The silliness of this board knows no bounds.
Yes you are projecting that of course yourself and unaware of fact or reality.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:35 pm Conry is making $201,500 a year. That'd be a million-dollar loss for Michigan if they let him go after this year.

By no means am I saying I think he should stay. His best season, with the most notable wins, was his first year at UM with JP's recruits. Watching the 2nd half of the Canisius game, I was very underwhelmed with the backups for Michigan. They do not look like BIG10 athletes or lacrosse players. Not entirely sure what he's doing but he needs to figure it out before the Ann Arbor townies come knocking at his door with pitchforks.
The townies might have other targets to "shoot for", but that's a conversation for the politics boards.

But hey, they don't care about a $1MM write off. Not like I haven't been around the Ga Tech former and current AD personally and know exactly why the prior one got fired (cough, Paul Hewitt extension, cough cough)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:41 pm
It's not silly. He's communicating to you that you are suggesting that UMich doesn't care about finances "because" they blow a ton of money on football. They were just hit with massive budget cuts in 2020, like many schools were.

They don't have a few hundred thousand dollars lying around for non revenue sports that can easily be wasted. What's silly is that you're convinced that they do.
Thank you. Thought the analogy would be obvious. Maybe beacuse Rutgers has been so dumb, profligate and wasteful with money he's projecting it on everyone including actual broadly long term successful athletic departments.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

a fan wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:30 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:12 pmConry made a convincing last-minute powerpoint presentation? One more chance to post some better results?
So then why wasn't it just for one year?

Basically, what you're saying is: to hell with what actually happened, Conry is obviously on his way out.

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:12 pm They sure did it quietly. No press release, none of the usual quotes from the AD about how much of a good job the coach is doing (go read BU's announcement of Polley's extension from last week for some nice contrast), zero details at all, just a stray tweet and that was that. I'd be pretty surprised if the "multiyear" extension was for the standard 5 years. The way they handled it does not project much confidence. Since we're speculating about the AD's thinking, I'd say it's quite possible they wanted an extension on the books because that looks much better for current/future recruits than a lame duck does.
Well that squares it. The AD is gonna fire Conry next week if he doesn't win.

Because it's not possible that a multiyear extension for a coach of a non-revenue sport that no one in Ann Arbor cares about is simply exactly what it says.....a mulit-year extension for a coach.
Bro what are you talking about all I said was I don't think Michigan is happy to not win lacrosse games. I don't know if he's on his way out or not. But I wouldn't be surprised if they moved on in the next few years. Would you?

It's not for one year because then you're just making him a lame duck again. You almost never see 1-year extensions
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:10 pm

For all the backseat drivers....who's the "can't miss" coach that's better than Conry? You guys have this all pegged, right? So who's guaranteed to beat O State and the other BigTen schools?

BTW----we heard this all before when Paul was coach. That "coaching was the problem". So they went out and got the Asst. for the NCAA champs, who knew how to win and how to recruit. Just like the backseat drivers asked.
Michigan, for so many reasons, is NOT a tough sell for 4* and higher players. Clearly, Paul "hit his ceiling" as to how high he could take the program. Yes, there are many established programs. But Michigan has so many things to offer. And that includes the possible opportunity for players to be a part of making the program, which has serious potential, great. God, I hope the coaches and other people highly associated with the program don't regular hear and see people say that Michigan is a tough sell for top talent. That would only lower their own standards.
Tons of four stars flame out every single year. You have to stop with this and understand the circular and self serving nature of the rating system at some point after many years of the same argument and being wrong.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:47 pm

Tons of four stars flame out every single year. You have to stop with this and understand the circular and self serving nature of the rating system at some point after many years of the same argument and being wrong.
STILL, to be a consistent big winner in a top conference in any DI College Sport, more often than not, you need to get lots of highly-ranked players. That is just the way it works.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

GaitsRightHand wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:35 pm This is Conry's first time EVER being a head coach. I'm not sure who was on the market for a job when they were hiring, but I do feel like he was not ready to be the HC of a BIG10 program. I coached a 4star that visited there, and he said Conry came off as pompous. Had the kid waiting over an hour in his office during a visit. It was so bad that Turri was stressing out and continuously apologizing to the kid and his parents.

I think there's something to be said when your number 1 and 2 assistants explored other options. Turri landed St Johns, and Rogowski almost took the NJIT job. Not mad at Turri for the move but when your Associate HC was willing to take a job at the worst D1 in college lacrosse, I do not take it as a good sign. The VA from last year, Murphy, was promised a seat at the table as a full-time guy, and then Conry never fulfilled those promises. Murphy is now the OC at Vermont. I'd imagine a lot of turnover from your coaching staff is never a good thing. Especially for a team trying to crack a top 20 list.
I think most first time, younger HCs come in hot and heavy, think they have to over/micro manage and project becuase they don't have the benefit of experience. The ones who adapt and adjust excel and others get on the retread hamster wheel or eventually run clubs/camps for youth on FOMO and one or two former gigs at name places or into the "corporate world" in some sales capacity.

Takes 5-7yrs and it's fair to give anyone starting a build/rebuild in the middle of covid the longer end of the spectrum.

Post by 1766 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:46 pm
It's not silly. He's communicating to you that you are suggesting that UMich doesn't care about finances "because" they blow a ton of money on football. They were just hit with massive budget cuts in 2020, like many schools were.

They don't have a few hundred thousand dollars lying around for non revenue sports that can easily be wasted. What's silly is that you're convinced that they do.
Thank you. Thought the analogy would be obvious. Maybe beacuse Rutgers has been so dumb, profligate and wasteful with money he's projecting it on everyone including actual broadly long term successful athletic departments.
Yet here we are, in the B1G, using teams like Hobart to get our fourth line guys runs. Must hurt to be so fiscally well managed (which I doubt) and still get used as practice dummys.

Stay tuned, new lacrosse stadium coming soon.

Post by 1766 »

gymman1031 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:49 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 2:47 pm

STILL, to be a consistent big winner in a top conference in any DI College Sport, more often than not, you need to get lots of highly-ranked players. That is just the way it works.
This is very true. However, outside a few can't miss kids every class, lacrosse rankings leave a lot to be desired.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Thank you.

Thought the analogy would be obvious.
It was 8-)
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

1766 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:00 pm

Yet here we are, in the B1G, using teams like Hobart to get our fourth line guys runs. Must hurt to be so fiscally well managed (which I doubt) and still get used as practice dummys.

Stay tuned, new lacrosse stadium coming soon.
FYI, in the preseason scrimmage that has been going on for 4 of the past 5 seasons, Michigan has run starters until Q4 (as has Hobart). They've used a 5th Qtr for the reserves and FYs. Until this years match, the advantage has been to Hobart. Get your facts straight before you bloviate.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”