Cornell 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Velvet.Fog

Re: Cornell 2023

Post by Velvet.Fog »

Some excellent observations have been made re the Lehigh game!! Love the analysis - pls keep it up. I wanted to add a few thoughts of my own:

[*]In general I thought it was a decent showing. A better effort than actual execution. Frankly I thought Lehigh would be better. That is not close to a top-20 team this year. Without Sisselberger, they would struggle to get to .500. I have huge respect for Lehigh program and really like 10, 2, 44, 20, 6 and a few others on this year's team - but that game could have been a 12+ spread if Cornell was sharper. In fairness to Lehigh, they hit some pipes and took some bad shots in the 42 minute scoring drought. It wasn't just Cornell missing some easy opportunities (esp in Q3). So I wouldn't make too much of the second half "shutout". But the key to me was that it was against a fair to middling LEH offense.
[*]Having said that, the Cornell defense was very good. Obviously, 77 is a legit top line star. He can cover anyone, is fantastic off the ground and has a knack for causing TOs. But there are two other high level players on that defense - 45 and 7 (with more on 22 below). Neither 45 nor 7 get enough due, but they are excellent. Davis is huge, fast and strong. He should be in the discussion about top SSDMs in the country. Follows is sneaky smooth and lethal. Also great off the ground. On the negative side - I think we still give too much room to shooters from the top (see first 3 goals) and also get way out of balance as a group from time to time (2-3 sliding defenders sometimes when the opponent is not even a scoring threat) - leaving shooters wide open on the backside. A good unselfish, motion offense is going to give us problems off the ball. We will get better in this area I hope. SSDMS are probably the Achilles - not 7 and really not 5 - but especially 6 and 9 right now. Neither looks 100% healthy. At LSM, 33 was terrific and will log a ton of minutes this year. 46 is not bad - but again the competition is going to get really good, really fast. Hope our lsm/ssdm group prepares for the upcoming tests.
[*]Offensively, I thought it was average at best. Some better ball movement - but still very sloppy passing. 31 and 27 either jammed the crease or tried to throw through passing lanes on several occasions. Blake hopefully gets his mojo back soon - Red really needs him to get back to where he was last year. The attack really misses Long - but that is going to change (hopefully soon). 26 did not look sharp to me on the RW - despite a couple of goals. Missed two very close attempts with poor sidearm shots. Those opportunities need to be converted. Dodging is almost non-existent. I'd like to see more of 44 - poised and he looks strong. My guess is his role will expand. 15 and 11 were again very good. When Long returns everyone will improve. CJ hit 3-4 pipes himself. Just need our top 6 back and give them a game or two to get humming (esp the man-up which is not good).
[*]Faceoffs - not a bad day overall considering the opponent. Angelo struggled early but this was a day that Siss just had his number. He can and will bounce back. Psyllos again was a real spark. Great to see. But the revelation was Cascadden! Big and athletic. Great showing. Needs work off the ground but at least he gave us a real fighters chance. He will get more time for sure. Wing play needs to get better no matter who is at the dot.
[*]Finally, Chayse was in control all day. LEH got very few quality looks overall but Chayse was still very good. Excellent year so far.

The competition level gets steep quickly. Red needs intensity at Hobart tomorrow. One game at a time. Never overlook Statesmen.

VF
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

bwparker1 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:12 pm I thought the Big Red played much better than they did against Albany. Solid performance all-around. I had the pleasure of getting to watch Hockey team beat Yale last night in New Haven as well. Great weekend for Lax & Hockey, heading into March. Let go Red!
Unfortunately after getting swept last weekend, I think the hockey team is out unless they get the AQ. With Q and Harvard standing in the way that AQ is going to be a tough get. Here's hoping, though...would love to see them back in the NCAAs.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Game notes for this afternoon:

https://cornellbigred.com/news/2023/2/2 ... obart.aspx

EDIT: The quality of the pregame write-ups seems a bit off this year. I've noticed a number of little factual errors this year; for example, claiming that the result of the last meeting between Hobart/Cornell: "Cornell won 9-5 on February 26, 2023 in Bethlehem, Pa." There seems to be less content and the content that is there is less sharp. Even the headline is clunky ("125-Year-Old-Foe"?)

Here's hoping they get better as the season progresses. I really enjoyed the game notes last year.
Last edited by ICGrad on Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

ICGrad wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:01 am Game notes for this afternoon:

The games notes are incorrect. Hobart is 2-1, not 2-0, and we don't play in the Patriot League.

If you're watching this afternoon, we have the ultimate homer as announcer, so don't be shocked. He'll still give Cornell what will be its ultimate due.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ketch wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:06 am

The games notes are incorrect. Hobart is 2-1, not 2-0, and we don't play in the Patriot League.

If you're watching this afternoon, we have the ultimate homer as announcer, so don't be shocked. He'll still give Cornell what will be its ultimate due.
Ted is my boy! Come on too there’s far far worse. He’s a professional broadcaster just had a little mission creep over the 17 or 18yrs he’s been announcing HWS athletic events. But still better than the student broadcasters most throw up by a “country mile”.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Ketch wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:06 am The games notes are incorrect. Hobart is 2-1, not 2-0, and we don't play in the Patriot League.

See my edit above re: the quality of the game notes this year.

Me, I love a good homer announcer. The homer-ier, the better...
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:09 am

Ted is my boy! Come on too there’s far far worse. He’s a professional broadcaster just had a little mission creep over the 17 or 18yrs he’s been announcing HWS athletic events.

—————
But still better than the student broadcasters most throw up by a “country mile”.
I was watching a stream with a student broadcaster a couple weeks back,

he had the opposing team roster, the players he was announcing, goals, assists, faceoffs, defense were of the opposing team.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:15 am

Ted is my boy! Come on too there’s far far worse. He’s a professional broadcaster just had a little mission creep over the 17 or 18yrs he’s been announcing HWS athletic events.

—————
But still better than the student broadcasters most throw up by a “country mile”.

he had the opposing team roster, the players he was announcing, goals, assists, faceoffs, defense were of the opposing team.
That is great! LOL
FL-GO

Post by FL-GO »

Podcast from Ted looking ahead to tonight's 140th CU-Bart tilt.

https://hwsathletics.com/podcasts/hobar ... ode-55/133
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

EDIT: The quality of the pregame write-ups seems a bit off this year. I've noticed a number of little factual errors this year; for example, claiming that the result of the last meeting between Hobart/Cornell: "Cornell won 9-5 on February 26, 2023 in Bethlehem, Pa." There seems to be less content and the content that is there is less sharp. Even the headline is clunky ("125-Year-Old-Foe"?)

Here's hoping they get better as the season progresses. I really enjoyed the game notes last year.
Good catches.

We just made a big deal about our 200th birthday last fall-would like your notes writers to narrate my life!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:15 am

—————

That would drive me nuts
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

When is Mike Long coming back?...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

5 PM EST. Cornell @ Hobart. No cost.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 9:55 am When is Mike Long coming back?...
Anyone who knows isn't talking.

(And I don't know.)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:42 am 5 PM EST. Cornell @ Hobart. No cost.
Just can't complain about Ted! That's the price.
PATalk

Post by PATalk »

Ezra White wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:53 am Has Ben Abladian had much playing time? I haven't noticed him on ESPN+, but then this may be due to shoddy camera work and announcing. (Or my growing senility.)

It seems with Long out, Abladian would be a logical replacement on attack.
Something is up but no one is talking. Abladian a ROY then 40 goal scorer for Bryant becomes a rare transfer to Cornell.

No way he doesn't see the field. Somethings up.
lacrosse

Post by lacrosse »

longtime reader, first post.

both piatellis seem to be volume guys, going to create a bunch if given the opportunity. perfect time to let 26 have a little run. they have familial fundamentals. i saw 15 picking up more of what 41 was known for off the ground, which is great to see. i was worried about extending possessions going into this year, but now i am not. what a ride, too!

while having 1 back will be a huge benefit, this team has a bunch of depth with the exception of SSDM, and i really like how 33 and 7 are looking. I can't remember depth being this good for a while. the problem with good depth is how good players can see the field. for example, petrakis won that penn state game in 2020, which felt like a turning point for the program, but is a unique matchup that will find more success against certain teams. it will be interesting to see how the coaches approach the better FO units this year.

looking ahead, the resilient strategy is to promote synergy among and across personnel groups now (and also win). this might limit some better players to situational schemes. the coaches are a bit stochastic in trying a bunch of stuff out. we can't really expect anything in these early games.

i have enjoyed watching the cultural transition this team has made under the new coaching staff. going to be fun to follow this year.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PATalk wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:52 pm
Ezra White wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:53 am Has Ben Abladian had much playing time? I haven't noticed him on ESPN+, but then this may be due to shoddy camera work and announcing. (Or my growing senility.)

It seems with Long out, Abladian would be a logical replacement on attack.
Something is up but no one is talking. Abladian a ROY then 40 goal scorer for Bryant becomes a rare transfer to Cornell.

No way he doesn't see the field. Somethings up.
He would have a familiar opponent today. Played Bart 4x in the last two years. Maybe their holding him back to drop in like a special teammate in a big tag team match at Wrestlemania.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

I wouldn't be surprised to see both Long and Abladian today. Abladian certainly is familiar with the way Hobart plays D. Giving Long some runs against non-conference foes would make some sense if he has recovered from whatever has kept him out of the first 2 games. AS I have said before to the Cornell faithful, I "hate" you today. Tomorrow, back to our regularly scheduled program.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 10:42 am 5 PM EST. Cornell @ Hobart. No cost.
Snow situation?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”