Michigan 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse

Re: Michigan 2023

Post by 1766 »

I can't see Michigan giving Conry the time Breschi had at Ohio St. Very different situations. The B1G sponsoring the sport means there is a much bigger spotlight on it. UM's brass doesn't like looking down the ledger and seeing Michigan at the bottom of it every year, especially when they have their own facility and everything they need compete at a higher level.

Definitely some chatter behind the scenes of a top tier coach that would be interested in that job.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Bagattawayhoo wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:37 pm Michigan fans are typically bat$### crazy and a haughty bunch. Let's be honest...Michigan gets good recruits, but not great recruits. The instate HS programs are 'meh' with maybe one or two very solid or near top recruits per year. There are not a lot of D 1 arrows in the quivers of the Michigan HS programs-; most of the players who do go D1 are barely able to make a difference at U Detroit/Mercy; they have struggled with Michigan born talent and were dropped from the schedules by most of the competitive D1 programs they faced in the past. It is a long drive ( 10 hours from Md or Long Island; 7 hours from West Genny) and/or a plane ride for an east coast kid and his family. If you are a great recruit you have been probably offered at the Ivies, Md, Virginia, ND, Carolina, Duke; that's 11 schools that Michigan is in the conversation with and then you add Ohio State, Penn State, Loyola, Denver, Hopkins, GT. A coach at Michigan should be given ( and probably needs) the kind of time Corrigan was given at ND; The Virginia game was a good indication that Conry has the program pointed in the right direction;
Michigan might not get as many great recruits as multiple other programs. But many years, if not most, they have pulled in Top 10-20 classes. No, the region doesn't produce great talent. However, Michigan gets several players from many, many hotbeds in America. I really think they get more talent than people think. Yes, Conry deserves a little more time. But how much? This is Year #6, so he is far from a new kid in town.
a fan

Post by a fan »

1766 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:54 pm I can't see Michigan giving Conry the time Breschi had at Ohio St.
I can. They already did.

"Our program is thrilled to announce that head coach @CoachConry has inked a multi-year contract extension!"- June 2023

https://twitter.com/UMichLacrosse/statu ... 64/photo/1
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

1766 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:54 pm I can't see Michigan giving Conry the time Breschi had at Ohio St. Very different situations. The B1G sponsoring the sport means there is a much bigger spotlight on it. UM's brass doesn't like looking down the ledger and seeing Michigan at the bottom of it every year, especially when they have their own facility and everything they need compete at a higher level.

Definitely some chatter behind the scenes of a top tier coach that would be interested in that job.
They don’t care enough to buy out a fresh contract
And overpay someone else. Not with Harbaugh needs
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Post by 1766 »

Michigan has silly money. The buy out would be a rounding error.
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

1766 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:26 pm Michigan has silly money. The buy out would be a rounding error.
Truth.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Houndfan73 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:51 pm
1766 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:26 pm Michigan has silly money. The buy out would be a rounding error.
Truth.
Translation:

He just inked a new deal in June, fellas. He's not going anywhere. It's really that simple. No point in beating this dead horse.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Then why did Elon Musk only put up a fraction of the Twitter equity….
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:05 pm
Houndfan73 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:51 pm
Truth.
Translation:

He just inked a new deal in June, fellas. He's not going anywhere. It's really that simple. No point in beating this dead horse.
No listening just certainty.

Post by 1766 »

Both things can be true. And are. He signed a new deal. Michigan has crazy money. Buying out the lacrosse coach there wouldn't register on anyone's radar.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

1766 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:48 am Both things can be true. And are. He signed a new deal. Michigan has crazy money. Buying out the lacrosse coach there wouldn't register on anyone's radar.
Which is also why they won't bother. They hate paperwork for something so insignificant and yes the lacrosse program doesn't matter to the AD as long as they don't have a player murder someone or something like that.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:45 pm

Musk is rich (net worth of $222 billion, a majority is tied to his interests in Tesla and Space X. He could not buy Twitter on his own but i expect you know that
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Because…

Musk may be dumb,
but he’s not stupid 8-)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:29 pm

Musk is rich (net worth of $222 billion, a majority is tied to his interests in Tesla and Space X. He could not buy Twitter on his own but i expect you know that
He is pretty illiquid, post modern Howard Hughes buying TWA IMO, but he's also smart enough to know the play is to de-risk and capture a cheap or free option on the upside as all private equity operates under these days. He certainly presents it as if he could've just bought it himself but instead he pulls in fidelity, cathy wood, pick your lower information asset manager.

More importantly there's this continued push and thesis that lacrosse is both really important and high priority as some type of loss leader at these massive undergraduate institutions and that they have so much money they will just waste it willy nilly to buy some success in lacrosse and it's jsut ludicrous to anyone who's ever been a fiduciary or strategically responsible for a larger enterprise or organization. It's wishful thinking that lacks any understanding of how money is spent, invested or managed on any meaninful level.

Post by 1766 »

Financing the purchasing of Twitter for $44B compared to paying out a lacrosse coach at Michigan who makes a few hundred grand. The silliness of this board knows no bounds.
GaitsRightHand

Post by GaitsRightHand »

Conry is making $201,500 a year. That'd be a million-dollar loss for Michigan if they let him go after this year.

By no means am I saying I think he should stay. His best season, with the most notable wins, was his first year at UM with JP's recruits. Watching the 2nd half of the Canisius game, I was very underwhelmed with the backups for Michigan. They do not look like BIG10 athletes or lacrosse players. Not entirely sure what he's doing but he needs to figure it out before the Ann Arbor townies come knocking at his door with pitchforks.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

1766 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:20 pm Financing the purchasing of Twitter for $44B compared to paying out a lacrosse coach at Michigan who makes a few hundred grand. The silliness of this board knows no bounds.

Like saying two transfers would not be playing at OSU in 2023 silliness??? The reality is projecting and attributing motivations and goals without knowing context is silly
a fan

Post by a fan »

1766 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:20 pm Financing the purchasing of Twitter for $44B compared to paying out a lacrosse coach at Michigan who makes a few hundred grand. The silliness of this board knows no bounds.
It's not silly. He's communicating to you that you are suggesting that UMich doesn't care about finances "because" they blow a ton of money on football. They were just hit with massive budget cuts in 2020, like many schools were.

They don't have a few hundred thousand dollars lying around for non revenue sports that can easily be wasted. What's silly is that you're convinced that they do.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Don't agree with the idea that Michigan is just happy to have a program and doesn't care about winning. There are programs like that but I doubt Michigan is one of them. Do we really think the AD likes playing little brother to Ohio State in a new sport? If so, why even go D1? What was this all for? They don't need the extra tuition.
a fan

Post by a fan »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 1:45 pm Don't agree with the idea that Michigan is just happy to have a program and doesn't care about winning. There are programs like that but I doubt Michigan is one of them. Do we really think the AD likes playing little brother to Ohio State in a new sport? If so, why even go D1? What was this all for? They don't need the extra tuition.
So why did the AD give Conry a "multi-year" extension?

My opinion is that he's patient, and knows Michigan is a tough sell for elite players, and knows Conry is doing a fine job with the situation he's in. What's your view as to why he did that?

For all the backseat drivers....who's the "can't miss" coach that's better than Conry? You guys have this all pegged, right? So who's guaranteed to beat O State and the other BigTen schools?

BTW----we heard this all before when Paul was coach. That "coaching was the problem". So they went out and got the Asst. for the NCAA champs, who knew how to win and how to recruit. Just like the backseat drivers asked.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”