Ketch

Re: Hobart 2023

Post by Ketch »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:23 am
oldbartman wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:41 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:40 pm
oldbartman wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:18 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:57 pm
faircornell wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:57 pm Congratulations, Statesmen! Field conditions looked a mess.
They tried to pull a Patriots snowplow move and bring out the trucks between Q3 & Q4 for a longer break!
Yes!! They knew they were going to do that and ran the team in to their locker room to warm up. Didn't inform Hobart from what I could tell. Dick move imo.
There was a bit of desperation and gamesmanship by their HC all week and today. Time to find a new upstate dance partner IMO.

Albany?
Still bugged by what feels like all sorts of weak gamesmanship the last few years and building suspicion this isn’t a relationship worth keeping if we aren’t treated like any sense of fair competition matters and no benefit to the team for big picture or conference play. Was looking on Gate and since 1980 (division setup)

1981-1985 Paul Rose - 37-28, .569
86-87 Hank Janzcyk - 12-12, .50
88-91 Mike Toop (MMA FB HC?) - 34-14, .704
92-95 Pace Kessenich - 22-28, .44
96-2001 Dan Whelan - 38-43, .469
02-11 Jim Nagle - 86-64, .573
12-18 Mike Murphy - 57-51, .528
19-current Matt Karweck - 11-31, .262

Covid and whatever other stories, the program is historically bad under this coach and we can’t count on him to work with us or even be reasonably honorable. With SBU a conference opponent we can probably justify a little bit of travel over this matchup. When we left the PL we didn’t play them from 05-10 and 2015, not to mention the cancelled game last year so there’s plenty of recent, modern precedent.
I, too, am disappointed by Colgate's inability to work with us in an honorable way. I think the time has really come to cut bait with them and find a more cooperative partner. I don't really care who it is. An America East program (Albany?) would be the best choice. Someone from our Patriot League past (Bucknell?) would also be ideal, but they have scheduling difficulties given the size of the league. Let's just find someone and enough with Colgate.

I have been reading Christian Swezey's "We Showed Baltimore." It is an excellent book and I can only recommend it to any fan, especially those who like Cornell lacrosse. I liked them a lot in the '70s when I was a teenager (Eamon was unreal), but that kind of ended when I went to Hobart. I was at a lot of the games/events that Swezey mentions in his book. One of them was in 1977. Hobart played Ithaca College in the morning and Cornell played Johns Hopkins at Cornell in the afternoon. 1977 was the year the game between Hobart and Cornell was cancelled because of bad weather (ice storm). After the IC game (pounded them) the Hobart team came into Schoellkopf to watch Cornell. I was sitting there and the team sat down right next to me, a real thrill. I can still remember that they were all wearing blue blazers (or at least that's the way I remember it) and looked very imposing. There is also a great passage where Swezey describes the "Super Bowl" between Hobart and Cornell that then took place in 1978. He nails it right down to his depiction of the weather on that day and he provides fantastic detail of the action. Get the book and read it. Hobart lacrosse comes up a lot.

As the book shows, we've had a lot of great games against Cornell. Unfortunately I have to say that Tuesday is not going to be one of them. Cornell is one of the slickest passing teams you'll see and their defense is truly shutdown (look what they did to Lehigh). I'll watch, but...
VeryRustyRed

Post by VeryRustyRed »

Ketch - I certainly agree with your thoughts on Swezy's book.
While I bleed carnelian (red) and white, my daughter graduated from Hobart in 2012 - our family has many great memories and retains a real fondness for the school.

As might be expected from the book's title ("We Showed Baltimore"), the book speaks very highly of Hobart (and Cortland) on multiple occasions. Swezey relates many funny anecdotes and recalls elements (pre, during, and post) of games that I remember vividly. What a great lacrosse era for the aforementioned schools.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

I really enjoyed the book, too. Having played in 4 Cornell/Hobart tilts, the games always carried more importance for me than Syracuse. I knew Richie as a young child and he was not pleased when I chose Hobart over CU, but he always made a point of speaking with me after the game(win or lose). The games back then were always on a Wednesday and the crowds were large-and a bit too raucous at times! The '83 fish flying incident being the most memorable. Will never forget the bus rides as we descended down to Schoelkopf, man, I still get goosebumps thinking about it. Hoping Hobart can play 4 quarters and make it a game.

As an aside, I was at a wedding years back and Petro had just been appointed the new CU coach. I wished him success, but told him not to beat Hobart. He had a nice 3 year stint there, but NEVER beat us--look it up!
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

FMUBart wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:40 am I really enjoyed the book, too. Having played in 4 Cornell/Hobart tilts, the games always carried more importance for me than Syracuse. I knew Richie as a young child and he was not pleased when I chose Hobart over CU, but he always made a point of speaking with me after the game(win or lose). The games back then were always on a Wednesday and the crowds were large-and a bit too raucous at times! The '83 fish flying incident being the most memorable. Will never forget the bus rides as we descended down to Schoelkopf, man, I still get goosebumps thinking about it. Hoping Hobart can play 4 quarters and make it a game.

As an aside, I was at a wedding years back and Petro had just been appointed the new CU coach. I wished him success, but told him not to beat Hobart. He had a nice 3 year stint there, but NEVER beat us--look it up!
Though Petro was responsible for rejuvenating the Cornell program. Have to dislike him for that!
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

You heard it here first.... Hobart wins 12 to 10.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

SMAIN wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:37 pm You heard it here first.... Hobart wins 12 to 10.
I thought I think FFG was the first to predict a statesmen win with his best impersonation of Joewillie and his fur coat Ala Jan12th 1969?
Anyway, should be a fun game as I love when the Big Red play Hobart. Good luck to both teams and hopefully the weather isn't atrocious.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:44 pm
SMAIN wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:37 pm You heard it here first.... Hobart wins 12 to 10.
I thought I think FFG was the first to predict a statesmen win with his best impersonation of Joewillie and his fur coat Ala Jan12th 1969?
Anyway, should be a fun game as I love when the Big Red play Hobart. Good luck to both teams and hopefully the weather isn't atrocious.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
By making the Big Red play out on the Boz we're pulling a Colgate on them, hoping the lousy weather will somehow slow them down... Didn't work against us, won't work against them. They are too used to practicing and playing out on the frozen tundra that is Schoellkopf.

I'm still convinced that this game will be moved inside.
another fan

Post by another fan »

Ketch wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:17 pm
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
By making the Big Red play out on the Boz we're pulling a Colgate on them, hoping the lousy weather will somehow slow them down... Didn't work against us, won't work against them. They are too used to practicing and playing out on the frozen tundra that is Schoellkopf.

What is the lighting like indoors? Thinking of the goalies.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

another fan wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:57 pm
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

Its decent. Better when they use orange balls imho. Time to "hate" the Big Red for the next 26 hours. Hobart's first test against a ranked opponent this season. It will give us a much clearer picture where we are as a team and individual roles as we get into the meat of our pre-conference schedule.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Me walking down the street tomorrow night

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yRIVzA27lA0
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

It’s Cornell.

A.winter rules, improve your lie Smails
Style
B. There’s an exception with all due respect - it’s in the constitution

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Af-Id_fuXFA
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:10 pm
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

Its decent. Better when they use orange balls imho. Time to "hate" the Big Red for the next 26 hours. Hobart's first test against a ranked opponent this season. It will give us a much clearer picture where we are as a team and individual roles as we get into the meat of our pre-conference schedule.
Me to every Cornell alum between now and 15-60 minutes after the game

https://media.tenor.com/QmrVDJAqS7sAAAA ... t-know.gif
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:09 pm
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

I take that as a compliment. Thank you.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:28 pm
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
I love you all 364 days of the year, think of this as like the family meal at a holiday.
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

Playing inside should give the Bart an advantage..... see Lehigh 2022.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

joewillie78 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:28 pm
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78

GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
BTW did you enjoy my “beating up a machine” link on the forum poll thread? It always makes me smile to watch Michael Bolton, but not that Michael Bolton, literally punching metal and wires he hates the fact machine so much.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

SMAIN wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:07 pm Playing inside should give the Bart an advantage..... see Lehigh 2022.
Nah they’re going to roll us. Should probably leave Kirst and Adler at home, maybe lend us fellow CNY kid Wirthheim to make it reasonable.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Cold, wet, and snowy tonight. Low 40s tomorrow. Cooling towards night. Better conditions than Colgate, but still crappy lacrosse weather. Would love a surprise victory, but expecting a schooling.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Laxgunea wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:38 pm Cold, wet, and snowy tonight. Low 40s tomorrow. Cooling towards night. Better conditions than Colgate, but still crappy lacrosse weather. Would love a surprise victory, but expecting a schooling.
Still think this will get moved inside given the storm. OBM, a white ball is imo better against that blue bubble background than an orange one. Better yet would be a lime colored ball. Lighting is fine.

Listened to the podcast. Between the lines it sounded like Coach Raymond was none too pleased with the Colgate coaching staff. They are a good rival, but it’s still time to move on. Binghamton is still there.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Ketch wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:44 pm
Laxgunea wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:38 pm Cold, wet, and snowy tonight. Low 40s tomorrow. Cooling towards night. Better conditions than Colgate, but still crappy lacrosse weather. Would love a surprise victory, but expecting a schooling.
Still think this will get moved inside given the storm. OBM, a white ball is imo better against that blue bubble background than an orange one. Better yet would be a lime colored ball. Lighting is fine.

Listened to the podcast. Between the lines it sounded like Coach Raymond was none too pleased with the Colgate coaching staff. They are a good rival, but it’s still time to move on. Binghamton is still there.
Agree on the green ball. Binghamton brings us nothing. See this season's scrimmage. Also no help on SOS and RPI. Albany or Bucknell as others have suggested, would be a better addition. Cornell will be a test that I don't think we are ready for. I want to be dead wrong. We will see how well our D and more specifically our goalie perform under heavy fire. It looks more and more to me that Herlihy is running the same role Madonna did the past 2 seasons. While his shooting needs a tune up, 3 assists v Gate is something I was glad to see. We'll need 2 solid midfields tomorrow as Cornell will make it a track meet compared to our first 3 games. We have a punchers chance.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”