Michigan 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Michigan 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:30 pm
CU77 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:11 pm And if I'm a kid who wants a Big Ten school, I might notice that Maryland, Ohio State, Penn State, and Rutgers have all had notable success in lacrosse recently. Of course Maryland is off the charts, but the other three have also all been to final fours in living memory, under their current coaches.
In State/Out tuition

Maryland: $10K/$38

Ohio St.: $11K/$35

Penn St: $17k/$32

Rutgers: $15k/$33

UMich: $16k/$53k

...anyone notice anything here?
My nephew works in the athletics department at Cal Berkeley and he can speak to this big time.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:12 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:08 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:29 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:20 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:54 pm
Formerhound wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:48 pm
Formerhound wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:17 pm Big difference. Harvard, Yale and other Ivy’s don’t give scholarships like UM does. Ivy’s don’t have big time football and BB like Big10 schools. Parents want great education for their kids. Kids want great college atmosphere. Both want scholarships to help defray costs. Michigan has it all.
Sorry. Should have said “athlete scholarships”. And the less than $200k = free at the Ivy’s is a lie. My nephew got recruited by Harvard for hockey. Parents made $150K/yr. It was going to cost $52K/year after financial aid. And Ivy’s don’t have same school atmosphere like schools like UM , OSU, ND, UVA, Duke, etc…. These schools have everything a kid could want. Michigan has recruited well. They just aren’t well coached.
Amen to the school atmosphere not being as good at the Ivies. More often than not, the jocks and the nerds(which are more plentiful than the jocks) are very, very separate. Come to think of it, that is exactly the case at Hopkins, and a big reason why so many programs are recruiting better.
huh? who is recruiting better than the ivies?
Multiple programs are bringing in more talent than the Ivys.
ok. who?
Several Ivy programs are recruiting very well, but I know for a fact these programs are current recruiting better talent:

Maryland, Syracuse, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Virginia, Georgetown, Duke. I know that is only seven. But, the truth is, that is MULTIPLE programs, which is what I said above.
we have different definitions of fact.

so basically schools with large degrees of success over time that could be considered "lacrosse schools", then.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:21 pm
Formerhound wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:17 pm Big difference. Harvard, Yale and other Ivy’s don’t give scholarships like UM does. Ivy’s don’t have big time football and BB like Big10 schools. Parents want great education for their kids. Kids want great college atmosphere. Both want scholarships to help defray costs. Michigan has it all.
Sorry. Should have said “athlete scholarships”. And the less than $200k = free at the Ivy’s is a lie. My nephew got recruited by Harvard for hockey. Parents made $150K/yr. It was going to cost $52K/year after financial aid. And Ivy’s don’t have same school atmosphere like schools like UM , OSU, ND, UVA, Duke, etc…. These schools have everything a kid could want. Michigan has recruited well. They just aren’t well coached.
Amen to the school atmosphere not being as good at the Ivies. More often than not, the jocks and the nerds(which are more plentiful than the jocks) are very, very separate. Come to think of it, that is exactly the case at Hopkins, and a big reason why so many programs are recruiting better.
ok. who?
Several Ivy programs are recruiting very well, but I know for a fact these programs are current recruiting better talent:

Maryland, Syracuse, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Virginia, Georgetown, Duke. I know that is only seven. But, the truth is, that is MULTIPLE programs, which is what I said above.

so basically schools with large degrees of success over time that could be considered "lacrosse schools", then.
Yes. But you did ask who was recruiting better than the Ivies. That made it sound like you thought almost no one was recruiting better.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

It’s simply not a lie. True 80%+ of the time but it involves income and assets and other factors. The income is used for shorthand but to argue it’s a lie and isn’t a consideration at all or a useful tool is even more incorrect.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

You know Boston is a college town, Dartmouth has some of the most loyal alums in the world, Brown definitely parties (not like Hobart but after not going there for school I visited with friends more than once and got dirty in Prov) and on and on. This is just feeding uneducated stereotypes and assumptions without basis.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:07 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:59 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:35 pm Folks, one thing people also sometimes forget is that several excellent players like to, rather than go to a program that has already been established, head to a program that clearly has potential to be great and have the dreams of someday being the players who helped get them there. Yes, this is very true.
So then they should’ve been better years ago.

It’s true so little at the margin as to be irrelevant. That’s one or two kids on a roster not turning a program. Peter Baum at Gate, Ben Williams at HC, etc

Or you aren’t thinking like a high school kid of any kind let alone one who’s been trained and experienced in winning and in many of these pay for play programs for years.
With the talent they have had for quite sometime, yes, I think they should have been better awhile ago.
This continues to be ignorance of the landscape, high school mindset, reality of the institutions you speak of.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ok. who?

So a 4-10 team last year, three teams that didn’t make the playoffs and and a noteworthy 2 seed losing to a play in team in Rd 1 is your evidence?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

ok. who?

Only one of those got to the final
Four last year the rest underperformed. Fire them all except Tillman!
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:44 pm
ok. who?

Only one of those got to the final
Four last year the rest underperformed. Fire them all except Tillman!
LOL! There is a difference between underperforming once in awhile and underperforming year after year.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Okay, folks. Time for you to state your honest opinion. Should Conry be doing better, or do you think he is currently doing a perfectly fine job with what he has to offer? Not a hard question to answer.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:26 pm
ok. who?

Yes. But you did ask who was recruiting better than the Ivies. That made it sound like you thought almost no one was recruiting better.
i was responding to "all the cool kids want to go to big party schools, so mich should have it easy". i noticed all the other b1g schools absent from the list. and also that the ivies seem to be doing just fine with the hopkins dork school formula seems to run contra to that being some overriding advantage. these p5 schools have been big in football and bball and coeds for decades now, and ivies and hopkins have seen their share of success.

i realize we've all kept these talking points alive (or beaten to a dead horse, whatever)... & no one is going to change your mind that an ex-h.s. volleyball player has the pulse of lax recruiting...

but i've seen an embarassingly small amount of michigan lacrosse. mainly because they were bad or boring (imo) or both. and i watched uva-mich. the impression i came away with about um was they were plucky and had a couple nice players. what i didn't come away with was they were a highly athletic and skilled team across the board. i didn't see a team that could go out and maybe win a couple nc$$ games in a row. i saw more of all that in the bryant team a couple years ago. bryant's a nice, relatively small school in rhode island.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:49 pm Okay, folks. Time for you to state your honest opinion. Should Conry be doing better, or do you think he is currently doing a perfectly fine job with what he has to offer? Not a hard question to answer.
you said earlier today if we didn't agree, we didn't know what we were talking about!!! so why are you asking, to flesh out the idiots?!?!
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:56 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:49 pm Okay, folks. Time for you to state your honest opinion. Should Conry be doing better, or do you think he is currently doing a perfectly fine job with what he has to offer? Not a hard question to answer.
you said earlier today if we didn't agree, we didn't know what we were talking about!!! so why are you asking, to flesh out the idiots?!?!
Show me where I said that.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:00 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:30 pm
Formerhound wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:10 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:32 pm Bring on Marquette.
Year after year Comry gets top recruits. Year after year they underperform. Beating a terrible Canisius team and then losing to Marquette??? You gotta be shitting me here. Way overrated team. Wonder how much longer they stick with Comry.
We will see. As I have said, the excuses of being a “new” program and being young shouldn’t be valid anymore. I still hope Conry surprises, but anyone who isn’t having some doubts doesn’t know what they are talking about.
???
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:06 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:00 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:30 pm
Formerhound wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:10 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:32 pm Bring on Marquette.
Year after year Comry gets top recruits. Year after year they underperform. Beating a terrible Canisius team and then losing to Marquette??? You gotta be shitting me here. Way overrated team. Wonder how much longer they stick with Comry.
We will see. As I have said, the excuses of being a “new” program and being young shouldn’t be valid anymore. I still hope Conry surprises, but anyone who isn’t having some doubts doesn’t know what they are talking about.
???
Gotcha! My bad. Well, like I said. Let's see what happens as this season goes on.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:54 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:26 pm
ok. who?

i was responding to "all the cool kids want to go to big party schools, so mich should have it easy". i noticed all the other b1g schools absent from the list. and also that the ivies seem to be doing just fine with the hopkins dork school formula seems to run contra to that being some overriding advantage. these p5 schools have been big in football and bball and coeds for decades now, and ivies and hopkins have seen their share of success.

i realize we've all kept these talking points alive (or beaten to a dead horse, whatever)... & no one is going to change your mind that an ex-h.s. volleyball player has the pulse of lax recruiting...

but i've seen an embarassingly small amount of michigan lacrosse. mainly because they were bad or boring (imo) or both. and i watched uva-mich. the impression i came away with about um was they were plucky and had a couple nice players. what i didn't come away with was they were a highly athletic and skilled team across the board. i didn't see a team that could go out and maybe win a couple nc$$ games in a row. i saw more of all that in the bryant team a couple years ago. bryant's a nice, relatively small school in rhode island.
Theyre the current program that sucks up all the overrated high ranked recruits. It’s always one or two schools, usually ones that break through to a higher level of accomplishment then the coach picks the wrong ones, or the reputations of the ones they pick are elevated by being selected (some combination of the two) and buy into their own mythology leading the under performance relative to artificial expectations that shouldn’t exist in the first place by people insisting they have Md/UVA/Duke/Cuse/Yale/Pton talent
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

it's all good. conry signed a "multi-year" extension that started last summer, as his contract was up. don't know who pulls the strings, it's either the alums who founded the program as div 1 or the a.d if he cares. only they know how this all ends, if it ends prior to a higher trajectory.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:28 pm it's all good. conry signed a "multi-year" extension that started last summer, as his contract was up. don't know who pulls the strings, it's either the alums who founded the program as div 1 or the a.d if he cares. only they know how this all ends, if it ends prior to a higher trajectory.
All the more reason why I hope he surprises people. Maybe Marquette will end up having a fine season and it won't be such a bad loss after all.
Bagattawayhoo

Post by Bagattawayhoo »

Michigan fans are typically bat$### crazy and a haughty bunch. Let's be honest...Michigan gets good recruits, but not great recruits. The instate HS programs are 'meh' with maybe one or two very solid or near top recruits per year. There are not a lot of D 1 arrows in the quivers of the Michigan HS programs-; most of the players who do go D1 are barely able to make a difference at U Detroit/Mercy; they have struggled with Michigan born talent and were dropped from the schedules by most of the competitive D1 programs they faced in the past. It is a long drive ( 10 hours from Md or Long Island; 7 hours from West Genny) and/or a plane ride for an east coast kid and his family. If you are a great recruit you have been probably offered at the Ivies, Md, Virginia, ND, Carolina, Duke; that's 11 schools that Michigan is in the conversation with and then you add Ohio State, Penn State, Loyola, Denver, Hopkins, GT. A coach at Michigan should be given ( and probably needs) the kind of time Corrigan was given at ND; The Virginia game was a good indication that Conry has the program pointed in the right direction;
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Bagattawayhoo wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:37 pm Michigan fans are typically bat$### crazy and a haughty bunch. Let's be honest...Michigan gets good recruits, but not great recruits. The instate HS programs are 'meh' with maybe one or two very solid or near top recruits per year. There are not a lot of D 1 arrows in the quivers of the Michigan HS programs-; most of the players who do go D1 are barely able to make a difference at U Detroit/Mercy; they have struggled with Michigan born talent and were dropped from the schedules by most of the competitive D1 programs they faced in the past. It is a long drive ( 10 hours from Md or Long Island; 7 hours from West Genny) and/or a plane ride for an east coast kid and his family. If you are a great recruit you have been probably offered at the Ivies, Md, Virginia, ND, Carolina, Duke; that's 11 schools that Michigan is in the conversation with and then you add Ohio State, Penn State, Loyola, Denver, Hopkins, GT. A coach at Michigan should be given ( and probably needs) the kind of time Corrigan was given at ND; The Virginia game was a good indication that Conry has the program pointed in the right direction;
Corrigan and ND and Breschi took a long time at OSU and that was a time when teams west of the Mississippi were given a freebie entry into the playoffs to allow a lot of extra high level comp for them to cut their teeth.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”