D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: Michigan 2023

Post by wgdsr »

Formerhound wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:15 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:11 pm
Formerhound wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:10 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:04 pm
Formerhound wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:19 pm Sorry but I just don’t understand some of you. Michigan is a top tier academic school. It has a great lacrosse facility. It has great extracurricular activities and major D-1 programs which should attract any incoming freshman lax player. Every year now Michigan gets highly rated recruits yet they never seem to win much. Think about it and compare it to my alma matter where I used to play Loyola. Michigan has much more to offer an incoming student than Loyola. Year after year in the past five recruiting seasons Michigan’s recruits are higher ranked than Loyola’s. Why does Loyola win a ton more than Michigan? Coaching AND recruiting. Getting the right kid for the program. Finding diamonds in the rough. Having great assistants who also recruit. Comry has everything going for him at Michigan yet doesn’t win. Sad.
so you're saying they don't get the quality of recruits that they should?
It’s one or the other or both. Either they aren’t getting quality recruits (in spite of rankings and stars) or they are getting quality recruits and just not developing them or both. In any of the foregoing instances that is coaching. Either recruit better or coach better. Michigan has EVERYTHING that a recruit would want so it’s not like you are recruiting to go to Utah or Canisius. No reason not to win at that school.
Yep! Do you agree with me that, when it comes to what DI programs have to offer in recruiting, Michigan is definitely Top 15-20 at the least? If not, at least in some ways, higher?
Top 10 easily. I would have loved to have gone there. Loyola was great but they aren’t Big10 athletics nor are they top 10 academic institution. Michigan should be able to out recruit almost any school
uva, duke, unc, notre dame, syracuse, umd, tosu, princeton, yale, penn, cornell, other ivies plus johns hopkins... which schools are michigan supposed to outrecruit for lacrosse?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:26 pm uva, duke, unc, notre dame, syracuse, umd, tosu, princeton, yale, penn, cornell, other ivies plus johns hopkins... which schools are michigan supposed to outrecruit for lacrosse?
probably marquette
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:29 pm
wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:26 pm uva, duke, unc, notre dame, syracuse, umd, tosu, princeton, yale, penn, cornell, other ivies plus johns hopkins... which schools are michigan supposed to outrecruit for lacrosse?
probably marquette
marquette is top 10?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Folks, one thing people also sometimes forget is that several excellent players like to, rather than go to a program that has already been established, head to a program that clearly has potential to be great and have the dreams of someday being the players who helped get them there. Yes, this is very true.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:35 pm Folks, one thing people also sometimes forget is that several excellent players like to, rather than go to a program that has already been established, head to a program that clearly has potential to be great and have the dreams of someday being the players who helped get them there. Yes, this is very true.

The thing is, if it starts to become clear that things won't be getting better under the current coach, fewer and fewer of the players mentioned above will want to go to such programs.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Big difference. Harvard, Yale and other Ivy’s don’t give scholarships like UM does. Ivy’s don’t have big time football and BB like Big10 schools. Parents want great education for their kids. Kids want great college atmosphere. Both want scholarships to help defray costs. Michigan has it all.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Formerhound wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:17 pm Big difference. Harvard, Yale and other Ivy’s don’t give scholarships like UM does. Ivy’s don’t have big time football and BB like Big10 schools. Parents want great education for their kids. Kids want great college atmosphere. Both want scholarships to help defray costs. Michigan has it all.
Yes, they sure do!
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Formerhound wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:17 pm Big difference. Harvard, Yale and other Ivy’s don’t give scholarships like UM does. Ivy’s don’t have big time football and BB like Big10 schools. Parents want great education for their kids. Kids want great college atmosphere. Both want scholarships to help defray costs. Michigan has it all.
that's right. they don't give schollies the same way. ivies give full schollies if you can get your 1040 below 200k. so if you can find 4 good players per year in the country with that, you're already at 16. say for those above 500k it matters not at all to get a 1/4 scholly or more. so 200-500k for a partial is um's advantage?

were you surprised the ivy had 6 in the tourney last year and typically land several? what other sports do they do that in? squash?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

And if I'm a kid who wants a Big Ten school, I might notice that Maryland, Ohio State, Penn State, and Rutgers have all had notable success in lacrosse recently. Of course Maryland is off the charts, but the other three have also all been to final fours in living memory, under their current coaches.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

CU77 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:11 pm And if I'm a kid who wants a Big Ten school, I might notice that Maryland, Ohio State, Penn State, and Rutgers have all had notable success in lacrosse recently. Of course Maryland is off the charts, but the other three have also all been to final fours in living memory, under their current coaches.
Yes. The thing is, Michigan has as much to sell in what they have to offer in recruiting, minus past success. And, like I said, several highly-recruited players in Collegiate Sports dream of being the players who really get a program that has potential going.
a fan

Post by a fan »

CU77 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:11 pm And if I'm a kid who wants a Big Ten school, I might notice that Maryland, Ohio State, Penn State, and Rutgers have all had notable success in lacrosse recently. Of course Maryland is off the charts, but the other three have also all been to final fours in living memory, under their current coaches.
In State/Out tuition

Maryland: $10K/$38

Ohio St.: $11K/$35

Penn St: $17k/$32

Rutgers: $15k/$33

UMich: $16k/$53k

...anyone notice anything here?
a fan

Post by a fan »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 4:43 pm
that's right. they don't give schollies the same way. ivies give full schollies if you can get your 1040 below 200k. so if you can find 4 good players per year in the country with that, you're already at 16. say for those above 500k it matters not at all to get a 1/4 scholly or more. so 200-500k for a partial is um's advantage?

were you surprised the ivy had 6 in the tourney last year and typically land several?
Welcome to the future.

BTW, to add to this concept, and the one I shared in my last post?

InState/Out Tuition

Hopkins: $58K/$58K

Syracuse: $55k/$55K
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

Sorry. Should have said “athlete scholarships”. And the less than $200k = free at the Ivy’s is a lie. My nephew got recruited by Harvard for hockey. Parents made $150K/yr. It was going to cost $52K/year after financial aid. And Ivy’s don’t have same school atmosphere like schools like UM , OSU, ND, UVA, Duke, etc…. These schools have everything a kid could want. Michigan has recruited well. They just aren’t well coached.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Formerhound wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:48 pm
Sorry. Should have said “athlete scholarships”. And the less than $200k = free at the Ivy’s is a lie. My nephew got recruited by Harvard for hockey. Parents made $150K/yr. It was going to cost $52K/year after financial aid. And Ivy’s don’t have same school atmosphere like schools like UM , OSU, ND, UVA, Duke, etc…. These schools have everything a kid could want. Michigan has recruited well. They just aren’t well coached.
Amen to the school atmosphere not being as good at the Ivies. More often than not, the jocks and the nerds(which are more plentiful than the jocks) are very, very separate. Come to think of it, that is exactly the case at Hopkins, and a big reason why so many programs are recruiting better.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:54 pm
Amen to the school atmosphere not being as good at the Ivies. More often than not, the jocks and the nerds(which are more plentiful than the jocks) are very, very separate. Come to think of it, that is exactly the case at Hopkins, and a big reason why so many programs are recruiting better.
huh? who is recruiting better than the ivies?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:20 pm
Multiple programs are bringing in more talent than the Ivys.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 3:35 pm Folks, one thing people also sometimes forget is that several excellent players like to, rather than go to a program that has already been established, head to a program that clearly has potential to be great and have the dreams of someday being the players who helped get them there. Yes, this is very true.
So then they should’ve been better years ago.

It’s true so little at the margin as to be irrelevant. That’s one or two kids on a roster not turning a program. Peter Baum at Gate, Ben Williams at HC, etc

Or you aren’t thinking like a high school kid of any kind let alone one who’s been trained and experienced in winning and in many of these pay for play programs for years.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:59 pm
So then they should’ve been better years ago.

It’s true so little at the margin as to be irrelevant. That’s one or two kids on a roster not turning a program. Peter Baum at Gate, Ben Williams at HC, etc

Or you aren’t thinking like a high school kid of any kind let alone one who’s been trained and experienced in winning and in many of these pay for play programs for years.
With the talent they have had for quite sometime, yes, I think they should have been better awhile ago.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

gymman1031 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:29 pm
ok. who?
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:08 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 6:29 pm
ok. who?
Several Ivy programs are recruiting very well, but I know for a fact these programs are current recruiting better talent:

Maryland, Syracuse, North Carolina, Notre Dame, Virginia, Georgetown, Duke. I know that is only seven. But, the truth is, that is MULTIPLE programs, which is what I said above.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”