Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by OCanada »

HopFan16 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:46 pm It's still early in the season but the Georgetown win may not hold up at the end of the season which is wild to think about considering they were ranked like #3 when we beat them.

Good week for the B1G if these scores hold with Maryland up big on Princeton, PSU beating Yale, Rutgers beating Loyola. Rough week for the Ivy.

St. Joe's pasted Bobby Benson's Providence team 19-6.

Outside of Joey Spallina, Collison has been the best freshman in the country IMO. If you adjust for schedule and role, one could argue he's been the most impressive. Beating shorties, bull-dodging through poles, scoring from range, question marks — showing a full midfield arsenal and he's played 5 collegiate games against top competition.
Yes
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

I recall the last time the Jays played St. Joe's in the mid 1990s. The final score was 31 - 9 the most goals ever scored by Hopkins beating the 29 - 3 thrashing of Loyola in 1959. I enjoyed each game but the St. Joe's game was a strange one ending midway in the 4th quarter as massive thunderstorms were approaching. The Jays emptied their bench early...
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:53 am Clearing - Hopkins was perfect in the first half and 22-24 for the game - was I watching a different game?
Lot of good points in your post but wanted to expand on this one in particular. Since the first half clearing debacle against Jacksonville in game one, the Jays are 90/99 clearing the ball — 91%. This to me is an example of the pundits getting set in their talking points early on and then failing to adjust when presented with new information. The fact is clearing has not been a major issue for this team since the first quarter of the first game. The *worst* clearing performance since then was going 22/26 (85%) against UNC's notorious 10-man ride. Syracuse was 16/20 (80%) against UNC yesterday and Ohio State was 20/26 (77%) the week before. There is usually going to be a lapse or two — pretty much no escaping that in today's game with only 20 seconds to cross the midline. But if you're reading this Quint, it might be time for a new talking point. I'm sure you've got several ready.

Also wanted to give props to Crawley on the EMO — we (justifiably) criticized it a lot but they clearly recognized it, went back to the drawing board, came out this weekend with some new wrinkles, and it was effective. I like how they ran things from behind the goal, which forces the D to collapse. When you just pass it around the perimeter waiting for a lane to open up, that plays into what a man-down defense wants you to do, IMO. Especially on 30-second penalties. Don't do what the other team is hoping you do.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Creasedive wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:22 am So, it’s not surprising that Krampf can score. The surprise is that it took so long for him to break through and have a game like this.

Hard to do when they aren’t putting him in the game. Wasted talent.
Ridiculous take/position. It is taking the error of recency to an infinite level. Krampf had a great game - I am happy for him. Someone who has toiled as a back-up for 4 years and he gets an opportunity and gets some goals - that's great. But let's not pretend they sat Jeff Cook or Mike O'Neill on the bench for that length of time. He scored an opportunistic rebound, a lay-up after a well executed transition and a nice little time and room. Given the following two facts - in a competitive game the starting 3 attackmen often never leave the field and at 5'8" 200 lbs or thereabouts Krampf is clearly an attackman - (He's not dodging down the alley on anybody and if he comes through the box like yesterday in the second half he immediately goes down low.) which attackman for Hopkins are coming off the field in 21 or 22? Epstein?DeSimone? Williams? Angelus? Degnon? Epstein is the only one you might even contemplate because he was never the same after the knee. The college landscape is littered with players that scored a gazillion goals in high school but don't crack the starting line-up. How many goals did Kevin Interlicchio score at Yorktown? Zinn? How many goals Did Bauer/McDermott score? While he scored some very important goals in '07 for the title run - I believe Tom Duerr had over 250 goals in high school and something like 120 assists - second all-time (at least back then) - He scored 8/5/5 and 6 goals for Hopkins (did have a serious injury in his junior or senior year). Bottom line - high school and college lacrosse are different universes.
Creasedive

Post by Creasedive »

Hopkins is 16-24 over the past 4 seasons. Yes, by all means let’s keep the same players on the field and hope for better results.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:13 am
51percentcorn wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:53 am Clearing - Hopkins was perfect in the first half and 22-24 for the game - was I watching a different game?
Lot of good points in your post but wanted to expand on this one in particular. Since the first half clearing debacle against Jacksonville in game one, the Jays are 90/99 clearing the ball — 91%. This to me is an example of the pundits getting set in their talking points early on and then failing to adjust when presented with new information. The fact is clearing has not been a major issue for this team since the first quarter of the first game. The *worst* clearing performance since then was going 22/26 (85%) against UNC's notorious 10-man ride. Syracuse was 16/20 (80%) against UNC yesterday and Ohio State was 20/26 (77%) the week before. There is usually going to be a lapse or two — pretty much no escaping that in today's game with only 20 seconds to cross the midline. But if you're reading this Quint, it might be time for a new talking point. I'm sure you've got several ready.

Also wanted to give props to Crawley on the EMO — we (justifiably) criticized it a lot but they clearly recognized it, went back to the drawing board, came out this weekend with some new wrinkles, and it was effective. I like how they ran things from behind the goal, which forces the D to collapse. When you just pass it around the perimeter waiting for a lane to open up, that plays into what a man-down defense wants you to do, IMO. Especially on 30-second penalties. Don't do what the other team is hoping you do.
Quint's new talking point seems to be criticizing Brett Martin for no apparent reason.

Agree on the EMO props. The teams' stregnth (especially with Degnon out) is not shooting from 10+ yds, so the continuous crease cuts action probably a better fit for this teams' stregnths. An unusual look, gave me flashbacks to Al Skinner's double low post basketball offense, with everyone witin 15 ft of the basket picking and cutting.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

My expansion topic is the schedule. Did not quite remember or focus on it but 5 games in 15 days - 2 games in 3 days and 2 games in 2 days is a bit much with your conference season - and an away game - the very next week. I sincerely hope this is not the schedule next year. Fatigue is one thing that can be dealt with - injuries are another. I would like to see the 10 guys listed as starters for Jacksonville walk out on the field in Ann Arbor. I know the goal is to forge a tough identity and prepare for hopefully short turnarounds in the future but I clearly think you can throttle back a bit. Syracuse will have 7 nights before facing Hopkins - JHU will have 4 - Delaware will have 8 nights before facing Hopkins (and playing Monmouth at home on March 11th) - JHU will have 2. I think Hopkins can be competitive against Syracuse/Navy and Delaware but it's a tall order on that schedule.
Creasedive wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:55 am Yes, by all means let’s keep the same players on the field and hope for better results.
Please please put me in a time machine so I can read this forum when Milliman replaces Epstein with Krampf over the last 2 years - which is the only place you can put him as I think we all should be able to agree Krampf is neither left handed or an x attackman. One benefit - we might be without Sag A as I think his head would literally explode.

On EMO - the formations were very distinctive. I am not sure it is sustainable to have that many people close to the goal playing some very good defensive teams but maybe then that opens up some outside shooting. I think Crawley does deserve credit for thinking outside the box and Utah was clearly unprepared for it.
Last edited by 51percentcorn on Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
a fan

Post by a fan »

51percentcorn wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:30 am
Creasedive wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:55 am Yes, by all means let’s keep the same players on the field and hope for better results.
Please please put me in a time machine so I can read this forum when Milliman replaces Epstein with Krampf over the last 2 years - which is the only place you can put him as I think we all should be able to agree Krampf is neither left handed or an x attackman. One benefit - we might be without Sag A as I think his head would literally explode.
Narrator: A fan stands by in amazement as a Hopkins fan comes to the realization that no matter what Hopkins coaches do, it's wrong. A fan is trying not to move or make any noises, lest he startle the Hopkins fan, who might run away before he figures this out.

(just have a little fun, 51%, hope you don't mind)
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

a fan wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:41 am
Narrator: A fan stands by in amazement as a Hopkins fan comes to the realization that no matter what Hopkins coaches do, it's wrong. A fan is trying not to move or make any noises, lest he startle the Hopkins fan, who might run away before he figures this out.

lol :lol:
good stuff !
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

They actually did this, maybe it wasn't Epstein specifically but it was literally portions of the Rutgers game last year where Krampf got to play.

I'd say I'm starting to think some of you all don't watch the games, but this isn't really a new thought. ;)
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Epstein did not play at all - Bauer actually started on attack and Krampf's stat line was significantly different than yesterday's: 1 Turnover - Zero's everywhere else. Error of recency, I wouldn't be surprised if some posted "Why the heck is that Krampf kid playing?"
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Hey he had 3 shots that day too. Actually had some good looks but wouldn't put any of them on the 6x6.

But yeah Krampf cashed in on his opportunities yesterday. Happy to see and he's been knocking on the door for a while. The fact that he got an opportunity isn't really a new thought but anyone claiming he shouldve been out there full time these past 4 years is talking crazy tbh.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Dixon had a rough game but at least we weren't subject to Jay Alter or Anish. That cuse game is going to be like listening to the Russian audio of the 1980 olympics. That's a joke moderator.
It looked like they made some adjustments w/Gib at halftime because he got a lot better.
St.Joes is a better team probably this year than cuse. They can't look past them getting ready for UVA. W/the injuries a lot of kids have
Marcille and the defense have covered up what has been an offensive mess. On the broadcasts Crawley is running the play by play but this is PM's team. Those end of quarter plays he drew up were busts. Most of these players aside from Melendez who had an underrated great gb in the second half-something this program has missed forever, have been at homewood for a long time. They've been pretty liberal w/plugging kids into the second midfield and if people are returning to health we'll see who they actually like. Bauer has been cold the last two weeks.

Until this week it seemed liked they'd done a good job offensively at limiting some of the horror shows of the last several years of having offensive players caught on defense because of bad turnovers and shooting.

Smith and some of the other poles have been trying it looks like for weeks to get out and run in transition and get their inner Kuuhhns on and pump a few in.

The clearing stats are what they are but every game it seems like we get a few possesions a quarter where a defender is running up the field into 3 opposing players and there's no support coming to relieve him anywhere in the picture.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:41 am

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJMGS7l0wT8
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:38 pm It looked like they made some adjustments w/Gib at halftime because he got a lot better.
Probably more that he settled in to his first start - like I said before - the first half wasn't atrocious - defense around him played better
jhu06 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:38 pm On the broadcasts Crawley is running the play by play but this is PM's team. Those end of quarter plays he drew up were busts.
I don't know what this means - who's plays are busts? Crawley or PM? BTW - you do know that one of the canons of end of quarter possessions - especially in a competitive game - is if the design is taken away by the defense (they get to strategize too) do NOT do something stupid and give it back to them with enough time to score. The worst out come will be the score stays right where it is.
jhu06 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:38 pm Most of these players aside from Melendez who had an underrated great gb in the second half-something this program has missed forever, have been at homewood for a long time.
This is one of your favorite themes that in fact happens to be totally wrong in terms of experience. You act like this team has been together forever and FYI - here's the starters 2 years ago 5 games in against Rutgers - DeSimone/Williams/Epstein/Grimes/Angelus/Keogh/McManus/Reinson/Lyne/Kirson - Angelus was a middie - Grimes attack - so you could factually point out 80% turnover is very high in two years - especially with COVID and no player is playing the same position - Grimes at attack as they hadn't switched with WIlliams yet. Two years too long? - here's the starting line-up 5 games in last year - Epstein/DeSimone/Grimes/Keogh/Angelus/Degnon/Lyne/McManus/Szuluk/Kirson - So you have doubled your returning starters to 4 - the lone defensman has been hurt and just got back, Degnon has switched positions and was out last game, Angelus switched positions later that year and has missed a game - and Grimes has had to bounce back and forth because of injuries to others and of course has been injury snakebit himslef the first two years. News flash - this isn't the 2005 team where everybody except for Rabil and Huntley had been there forever and knew what they were doing.
jhu06 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:38 pm Until this week it seemed liked they'd done a good job offensively at limiting some of the horror shows of the last several years of having offensive players caught on defense because of bad turnovers and shooting.

I know we don't like to listen to Quint but you might remember he pointed out Utah likes to push transition way more than most teams. Hopkins brought that to a halt and a key to the game. So you would expect in several situations offensive middies or attackmen with the positionless theme had to go back on defense.
jhu06 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:38 pm Smith and some of the other poles have been trying it looks like for weeks to get out and run in transition and get their inner Kuuhhns on and pump a few in.
One of Smith's very few bad decisions was his turnover when he tried to go to goal through all that traffic in the first - one thing if the defense sloughs off to the attack and dares you to shoot - quite another to get through all those bodies and sticks - wasted possession. While no face-off man was credited with a turnover - Dunn I believe also did the same thing after a clean face-off win. All for transition goals - need them very much - but need better decisions and unselfish play as well.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I’m still in shock that Hopkins goalies, seemingly across the
board, have shown dramatic improvement in technique and
results,

as opposed to acting like Long John Silver impersonators.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:38 pm Dixon had a rough game but at least we weren't subject to Jay Alter or Anish.
Dix is usually decent but pair him with Quint and he slides down to his level of inane drivel. Honestly I don’t care about the local eateries I’d rather know who the dmid that just turned the ball over and what led to that play.
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

Hopkins wins the game. The feature for some is still Joey Epstein in the blog. You cannot make this stuff up. I wonder if Epstein will be asked to testify at Millman's witch trial? :D
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

flalax22 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:45 am
jhu06 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:38 pm Dixon had a rough game but at least we weren't subject to Jay Alter or Anish.
Dix is usually decent but pair him with Quint and he slides down to his level of inane drivel. Honestly I don’t care about the local eateries I’d rather know who the dmid that just turned the ball over and what led to that play.
"...inane drivel " defines Q the K.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Sorry if I missed the discussion of it, but just noticed- Hopkins isn't playing Towson this year?
What was the reasoning behind that? Any chance that series gets restarted?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”