Hobart 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
FMUBart

Re: Hobart 2023

Post by FMUBart »

7-3 Hobart halfway thru 3rd… can’t see the ball, but can see net move!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

So they don’t call push w possession anymore? Be water Bach was clearly pushed from behind when he coughed that ball up.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

That was messy, and we started to melt down in the 4th. But it was a win, and we didn't end up melting down. In the end, the result is a good bounce back in tough conditions. Loukas played very well. The 17+ saves were off of decent shots. I am a bit disappointed in the D for letting some of those shots happen, but overall the D seemed okay. But it was just okay. I don't think 8 from Colgate in the freezing weather is a great result. Turnovers were a problem, but perhaps that was the snow and cold conditions. And there were mental lapses late in the game. The penalty to end the 3rd was very poor game sense. We have to be mentally tougher, but also just plain smarter out there.
Now for hockey ... 7PM, the Cooler.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Brrrr...
Last edited by oldbartman on Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Take the win and go thaw out. Colgate Coach Karweck got what he wanted, a game slowed down. Yet he/Gate still got the L. I will give credit where it is due. Sotiropoulus played a solid game. He had 1 bad mistake. Luckily it wasn't game changing. Clearing has to get better. It almost cost us the game late in Q4. Our 1st midfield needs to shoot better. Not sure if Herlihy is fully mended. Though dodging on that field could have been dangerous. Cornell next this Tuesday. They handled Lehigh in an efficient way.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 2:39 pm That was messy, and we started to melt down in the 4th. But it was a win, and we didn't end up melting down. In the end, the result is a good bounce back in tough conditions. Loukas played very well. The 17+ saves were off of decent shots. I am a bit disappointed in the D for letting some of those shots happen, but overall the D seemed okay. But it was just okay. I don't think 8 from Colgate in the freezing weather is a great result. Turnovers were a problem, but perhaps that was the snow and cold conditions. And there were mental lapses late in the game. The penalty to end the 3rd was very poor game sense. We have to be mentally tougher, but also just plain smarter out there.
Now for hockey ... 7PM, the Cooler.
I was worried early when I saw a wrap around goal and Christiansen and 91 (mix up Duby and Firth but one of them) were yelling at each other then Grooms on the mistake but they held it together .

Less than 50% SOG today (18/37)
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

oldbartman wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:00 pm Take the win and go thaw out. Colgate Coach Karweck got what he wanted, a game slowed down. Yet he/Gate still got the L. I will give credit where it is due. Sotiropoulus played a solid game. He had 1 bad mistake. Luckily it wasn't game changing. Clearing has to get better. It almost cost us the game late in Q4. Our 1st midfield needs to shoot better. Not sure if Herlihy is fully mended. Though dodging on that field could have been dangerous. Cornell next this Tuesday. They handled Lehigh in an efficient way.
Looking forward to 5pm Tuesday as it's always a fun matchup with the Statesmen. The weather looks a bit better for Tuesday so good luck to both teams on what should be a very entertaining game.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:20 pm
oldbartman wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:00 pm Take the win and go thaw out. Colgate Coach Karweck got what he wanted, a game slowed down. Yet he/Gate still got the L. I will give credit where it is due. Sotiropoulus played a solid game. He had 1 bad mistake. Luckily it wasn't game changing. Clearing has to get better. It almost cost us the game late in Q4. Our 1st midfield needs to shoot better. Not sure if Herlihy is fully mended. Though dodging on that field could have been dangerous. Cornell next this Tuesday. They handled Lehigh in an efficient way.
Looking forward to 5pm Tuesday as it's always a fun matchup with the Statesmen. The weather looks a bit better for Tuesday so good luck to both teams on what should be a very entertaining game.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
I’m going to wear a fur coat for Tuesday’s game viewing so don’t be surprised when we shock them world Joe!
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Congratulations, Statesmen! Field conditions looked a mess.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

faircornell wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:57 pm Congratulations, Statesmen! Field conditions looked a mess.
They tried to pull a Patriots snowplow move and bring out the trucks between Q3 & Q4 for a longer break!
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 7:57 pm
faircornell wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:57 pm Congratulations, Statesmen! Field conditions looked a mess.
They tried to pull a Patriots snowplow move and bring out the trucks between Q3 & Q4 for a longer break!
Yes!! They knew they were going to do that and ran the team in to their locker room to warm up. Didn't inform Hobart from what I could tell. Dick move imo.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:18 pm
Yes!! They knew they were going to do that and ran the team in to their locker room to warm up. Didn't inform Hobart from what I could tell. Dick move imo.
There was a bit of desperation and gamesmanship by their HC all week and today. Time to find a new upstate dance partner IMO.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:40 pm
There was a bit of desperation and gamesmanship by their HC all week and today. Time to find a new upstate dance partner IMO.

Albany?
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Albany would be good, but I'd rather bring back Bucknell ( not upstate, but close).
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxgunea wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:45 pm Albany would be good, but I'd rather bring back Bucknell ( not upstate, but close).
Get Tambroni, Feds and MVA back on the OOC! That plus Cuse, Cornell would be rough but Ric Flair would approve.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yjW9UXoKU2s
BigHoss

Post by BigHoss »

I think yesterday was an example of how this team is a bit mentally afraid to lose. That seems like an obvious remark, but you could see the shift in their mentality from trying to play their own aggressive and collective brand of lacrosse, to simply trying to hang on and not lose. If there were ten minutes left in that game, it would’ve been trouble. Anthony is such a good player, and you can see Peterkin has the potential as well and his impact will be immense. Loukas was great too, maybe an example of how it’s difficult for us to make judgements about players from an external perspective when we don’t watch the practices.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:35 pm
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
I’m going to wear a fur coat for Tuesday’s game viewing so don’t be surprised when we shock them world Joe!
Are you a 16 goal underdog? If so, then find a lounge chair poolside, with your drink in hand and tell all the reporters around you that you are guaranteeing victory. Still the greatest guarantee in all of sports.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

BigHoss wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:07 pm I think yesterday was an example of how this team is a bit mentally afraid to lose. That seems like an obvious remark, but you could see the shift in their mentality from trying to play their own aggressive and collective brand of lacrosse, to simply trying to hang on and not lose. If there were ten minutes left in that game, it would’ve been trouble. Anthony is such a good player, and you can see Peterkin has the potential as well and his impact will be immense. Loukas was great too, maybe an example of how it’s difficult for us to make judgements about players from an external perspective when we don’t watch the practices.
BigHoss, you are absolutely rights. Fear can be a great motivator, but not for holding on to a victory in lacrosse. Coach is always talking about the "underdog mentality," and they they can use more of it. To me, that mentality says "we can win" and they can believe it. And when they start to win, it says, "now for the kill." To me, this is the heart of the problem for several years. It is what is behind the failure to play 4 quarters consistently. I saw it in the last Bryant game last year, and I know they have it in them. But there is something reproducing a fear of losing. It can change, but I don't know how. The turnaround will come from the coaches and will take the full season.
They have nothing to lose on Tuesday, so there is no excuse not to be balls to the wall from beginning to end.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

joewillie78 wrote: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:33 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:35 pm
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Are you a 16 goal underdog? If so, then find a lounge chair poolside, with your drink in hand and tell all the reporters around you that you are guaranteeing victory. Still the greatest guarantee in all of sports.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Easily. Probably closer to 3 touchdowns. You guys are great.

Mark Messiers guarantee for the Rangers was pretty impressive. Around 94 if I recall w/o looking it up.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

oldbartman wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:41 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:40 pm

Albany?
Still bugged by what feels like all sorts of weak gamesmanship the last few years and building suspicion this isn’t a relationship worth keeping if we aren’t treated like any sense of fair competition matters and no benefit to the team for big picture or conference play. Was looking on Gate and since 1980 (division setup)

1981-1985 Paul Rose - 37-28, .569
86-87 Hank Janzcyk - 12-12, .50
88-91 Mike Toop (MMA FB HC?) - 34-14, .704
92-95 Pace Kessenich - 22-28, .44
96-2001 Dan Whelan - 38-43, .469
02-11 Jim Nagle - 86-64, .573
12-18 Mike Murphy - 57-51, .528
19-current Matt Karweck - 11-31, .262

Covid and whatever other stories, the program is historically bad under this coach and we can’t count on him to work with us or even be reasonably honorable. With SBU a conference opponent we can probably justify a little bit of travel over this matchup. When we left the PL we didn’t play them from 05-10 and 2015, not to mention the cancelled game last year so there’s plenty of recent, modern precedent.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”