OCanada

Re: Virginia 2023

Post by OCanada »

rasheed wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:29 amOk
It has been awhile. Hope you are well
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Don’t know their roster well, but OSU has 2 elite poles in Van Buren( heavily recruited by Virginia) and Hudgens, the Army transfer. They are as good as any pair. The OSU D vs Virginia’s O is an interesting game within the game. Lot’s of elite athletes on both sides.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

blue angels wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:16 pm Don’t know their roster well, but OSU has 2 elite poles in Van Buren( heavily recruited by Virginia) and Hudgens, the Army transfer. They are as good as any pair. The OSU D vs Virginia’s O is an interesting game within the game. Lot’s of elite athletes on both sides.
Very tough match-ups - the onslaught continues. UVA sure didn't shy away from a strong schedule.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Finster wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:56 pm
Gatsby wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:35 am
Finster wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:43 pm
Gatsby wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:40 pm
Finster wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:00 pm I’ll be at the Saturday game at Klockner. Know a few families on Harvard.

This game is not the cakewalk some Hoos folks think it is. Be warned.
The first 3 quarters were more of a cakewalk than anyone expected. But then the backups came in and made the score closer.
I know. I was there. I wrote my observations in the game thread here.
Good discussion, Finster but seeing your comments in the game thread
Finster wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:27 pm In any event, after seeing UVA, I’m not sure there’s another team that can beat them this year.
I mean wow, you're right about these Hoo supporters getting out of hand. They think it's going to be a cakewalk. I wish someone would tell them it won't be.
I know. Mea culpa. Seeing them in person changed my mind. But I’m a stickler for obnoxiously confident homer fans regardless of school. My school has too many for instance.

Let me tell you why I changed my view on UVA. I used to watch Mario Lemieux play hockey quite a bit. Lemieux elevated his entire team. He was preternaturally smart, accurately betting where his teammates would skate before they themselves made decisions.

UVA has two players, Shellenberger and Dickson, who have a similar impact on their teammates. They’re just smart af. It might not show up on a stat sheet (though it does), but these two guys are like watching two Lemieux’s play together, lifting everyone around them.

Is that getting out of hand!?? lol. Probably. But I’ll die on that hill for now.

As I said, to beat them an opponent will need to at least win the FO’s by 60-40. UVA’s offense simply won’t turn the ball over much.

I forgot to add one other wrinkle. An opponents goalie will need to have a save percentage above 45%.

Now having said all that, I think Ohio State is one team that can give them trouble. Maryland too.
Lol the quick flip from warning these cocky UVA fans to leading their bandwagon had to be razzed. I don't like homers either. I don't think any team is unbeatable. Several looked unbeatable in week one, including Duke and Maryland but that changed quickly after they suffered losses. Things can look drastically different in one week. Right now, the most unbeatable looking team to me is Loyola. They have it on both ends and they've played strong competition. UVA has it on one end and they haven't yet played top competition. Plus, they are always beatable by Duke.

If you're going to Gtown, sit in the sun. It's more bearable on a cold day. ...although just checking the forecast, doesn't look like they'll be any sun. You might see two Lemieuxs in the Kavanaghs. They even wear the high hockey jersey numbers.
Laxter

Post by Laxter »

Gatsby wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 2:44 pm
Finster wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:00 pm I’ll be at the Saturday game at Klockner. Know a few families on Harvard.

The first 3 quarters were more of a cakewalk than anyone expected. But then the backups came in and made the score closer.
Finster wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:27 pm In any event, after seeing UVA, I’m not sure there’s another team that can beat them this year.
I mean wow, you're right about these Hoo supporters getting out of hand. They think it's going to be a cakewalk. I wish someone would tell them it won't be.
I know. Mea culpa. Seeing them in person changed my mind. But I’m a stickler for obnoxiously confident homer fans regardless of school. My school has too many for instance.

Let me tell you why I changed my view on UVA. I used to watch Mario Lemieux play hockey quite a bit. Lemieux elevated his entire team. He was preternaturally smart, accurately betting where his teammates would skate before they themselves made decisions.

UVA has two players, Shellenberger and Dickson, who have a similar impact on their teammates. They’re just smart af. It might not show up on a stat sheet (though it does), but these two guys are like watching two Lemieux’s play together, lifting everyone around them.

Is that getting out of hand!?? lol. Probably. But I’ll die on that hill for now.

As I said, to beat them an opponent will need to at least win the FO’s by 60-40. UVA’s offense simply won’t turn the ball over much.

I forgot to add one other wrinkle. An opponents goalie will need to have a save percentage above 45%.

Now having said all that, I think Ohio State is one team that can give them trouble. Maryland too.
Lol the quick flip from warning these cocky UVA fans to leading their bandwagon had to be razzed. I don't like homers either. I don't think any team is unbeatable. Several looked unbeatable in week one, including Duke and Maryland but that changed quickly after they suffered losses. Things can look drastically different in one week. Right now, the most unbeatable looking team to me is Loyola. They have it on both ends and they've played strong competition. UVA has it on one end and they haven't yet played top competition. Plus, they are always beatable by Duke.

If you're going to Gtown, sit in the sun. It's more bearable on a cold day. ...although just checking the forecast, doesn't look like they'll be any sun. You might see two Lemieuxs in the Kavanaghs. They even wear the high hockey jersey numbers.
Well, you will get your wish about UVa playing (even more) top competition this season. Can’t let Breschi and his cronies/followers stack the deck against again. Enjoy the games.
Finster

Post by Finster »

I’m not leading UVA’s bandwagon. I’m hoping they lose a few games. But you can’t escape their talent. That team is built to go the distance. The two areas where they can be had, where a team will need to outperform them in order to win, will be at FO and in the goal. The only team I see that can do that is Maryland.

On the other hand, if you believe n logical fallacies, since Loyola beat Maryland and Maryland beat Richmond, and Richmond just beat Towson, then Loyola should be national champs. 😂

I’ll be at the Georgetown game. Appreciate the heads up on the sun. Looking forward to seeing the Kavanaugh bros.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Finster wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:05 pm

I’m not leading UVA’s bandwagon. I’m hoping they lose a few games. But you can’t escape their talent. That team is built to go the distance. The two areas where they can be had, where a team will need to outperform them in order to win, will be at FO and in the goal. The only team I see that can do that is Maryland.

On the other hand, if you believe n logical fallacies, since Loyola beat Maryland and Maryland beat Richmond, and Richmond just beat Towson, then Loyola should be national champs. 😂

I’ll be at the Georgetown game. Appreciate the heads up on the sun. Looking forward to seeing the Kavanaugh bros.
UVAs offense may be so good it doesn’t matter, but their defense has so far been the soft underbelly. Granted, it’s not the first time the UVA defense has started slow so take it with a grain of salt.
Finster

Post by Finster »

rolldodge wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:15 pm

UVAs offense may be so good it doesn’t matter, but their defense has so far been the soft underbelly. Granted, it’s not the first time the UVA defense has started slow so take it with a grain of salt.

After seeing Notre Dame today, I think ND might be a shade better than UVA, and it comes down to their athleticism and goalie. Those games will be must attends. I can’t see either having a loss beforehand.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

Finster wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:42 pm

After seeing Notre Dame today, I think ND might be a shade better than UVA, and it comes down to their athleticism and goalie. Those games will be must attends. I can’t see either having a loss beforehand.
You're so reactive lol. Every winning team you see is the next unbeatable one. First it was UVA, now ND. I urge some temperance in your judgments. See, even last week's powerhouse, Loyola, went down today to a lower ranked team. There will be more surprises.

I didn't see the ND-Georgetown game and I was surprised by the score.

By the way, when I said you're leading the UVA bandwagon, I just meant that UVA fans are not predicting they'll go undefeated like you were, so in that sense, you're higher on the team than the fans are. Now it's the same with ND.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

Gatsby wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 5:20 pm
Finster wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 4:42 pm

You're so reactive lol. Every winning team you see is the next unbeatable one. First it was UVA, now ND. I urge some temperance in your judgments. See, even last week's powerhouse, Loyola, went down today to a lower ranked team. There will be more surprises.

I didn't see the ND-Georgetown game and I was surprised by the score.

By the way, when I said you're leading the UVA bandwagon, I just meant that UVA fans are not predicting they'll go undefeated like you were, so in that sense, you're higher on the team than the fans are. Now it's the same with ND.
Agreed. IMO, no one goes through the season unscathed including Virginia so we may see several #1s before Memorial Day. Many of this guy/gals posts have a TROLL quality. Probably not worth responding.
molo

Post by molo »

After watching UNC take down SU in the Dome, I have concerns about a team that handled the Heels the way the Bucks did. Should be a good one tonight. Too bad about the stream.
molo

Post by molo »

Cormier puts in another to increase the lead to three at halftime. I’m guessing Hudgins is on Shellenberger. Someone has kept him quiet so far.
molo

Post by molo »

Third quarter pretty much ends it for Brutus.
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

Cavs are the class of bunch a month in.
Gatsby

Post by Gatsby »

molo wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 8:00 pm Cormier puts in another to increase the lead to three at halftime. I’m guessing Hudgins is on Shellenberger. Someone has kept him quiet so far.
Hudgins was on Schutz, or Miezan when he came in. Bobby Van Buren was on Shellenberger.

First real test for UVA and holding OSU to 6 goals was unexpected after the first few games when people weren't too sure about the defense. Goalie play was very good. OSU offense also missed on some shots. Cormier alone scored more goals than OSU.
molo

Post by molo »

I didn’t see the game, just the stats, but for upcoming opponents, the good news is that it’s possible to hold Shellenberger to 0,1. The bad news is that you can do that and still lose by double digits. This game had me worried.
molo

Post by molo »

Thanks. Van B must be very good.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Cavs just separated themselves from the pack.
molo

Post by molo »

I’d like to think so, but then I remind myself: Maryland, Duke twice, ND twice. The other two in the ACC are capable of taking down a good team on a given day.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”