Towson 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DMac

Re: Towson 2023

Post by DMac »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:16 pm Just not a good game, and they’re going up against
Loyola in a week, sheesh !
Agree, not a good game. My first look at the Tigers, was disappointed (didn't think the Spiders looked a whole lot better either).
Yup, I'd say there's reason for concern v the Hounds.
Finster

Post by Finster »

DMac wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:37 pm
10stone5 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:16 pm Just not a good game, and they’re going up against
Agree, not a good game. My first look at the Tigers, was disappointed (didn't think the Spiders looked a whole lot better either).

^^

DMAC has a good post. Not gonna lie. There’s zero chance he was in Richmond like myself, so was this game on television? If so, I’m the George Clooney look alike.

I just got to my hotel. Will write up more.
Finster

Post by Finster »

Henpecked wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:37 pm I don't remember seeing him play, but Mikey Weisshaar showed up in the boxscore with 1 shot and 1 turnover. They could really use some athletes out there against Loyola. Aside from Austin Stewart and Swain, the Tigers looked slow and lumbering on offense today.

He has a doorstep shot with no defense, and missed. #8 had a great no look pass to him. The kid didn’t execute. You can’t miss those.
Finster

Post by Finster »

sc lax wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:04 pm This team does not value the ball, way too many turnovers

Not only turnovers but general enthusiasm.

Towsons defense is really good. They back each other up well. Athletic. Good goalie.

But the rest of the team isn’t that impressive. Richmond marked Demaio. Towson didn’t pass well. Constantly running into double teams losing the ball. Dropped balls. Shot poorly. FO wings never in the right spot.

I’d have thought based on a visual that the Towson FOGO would dominate but instead the Richmond kid beat him consistently. The Towson FOGO threw the ball away twice after winning. Ugly.

Their clearing is not smooth.

#8 is obviously good, but he’s hobbling out there.

Richmond frankly was more athletic. Their kid from upstate NY, Madonna, best player from either team.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Awful performance today in terms of clearing and just general sloppiness. We're talking about veterans, as Weishaar barely played and Villagomez was adequate. Thought goalie change was needed but I didn't expect Downs to play.

"TOWSON DOESN'T PASS WELL." No doubt about that. We have plenty of shooters. If Weishaar is ready, I'm moving him to attack and to the X. Add some much-needed quickness and creativity. Maybe rotate Chop and Villagomez or move on to midfield. Too many small guys running around with Berkeley, who struggled today. Maybe you don't play one of your best players who has been banged up constantly every minute or nearly every minute. Dude needs rest.

The face-offs were ok. Constantinides just has to be able to get rid of the ball to a faster teammate. Why not play two shorties instead of Morin on the wing? Seems like we're a pretty slow team without Koby Smith. We lack that guy with an extra gear who can get it over midfield and start transition.
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

Finster wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:54 pm
Henpecked wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:37 pm I don't remember seeing him play, but Mikey Weisshaar showed up in the boxscore with 1 shot and 1 turnover. They could really use some athletes out there against Loyola. Aside from Austin Stewart and Swain, the Tigers looked slow and lumbering on offense today.

He has a doorstep shot with no defense, and missed. #8 had a great no look pass to him. The kid didn’t execute. You can’t miss those.
He is going to be a stud for years at Towson. You can attack him for a miss on his first college shot
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

AbeFroeman wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:07 pm
Finster wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:54 pm
He is going to be a stud for years at Towson. You can’t attack him for a miss on his first college shot.
And if Berkeley comes back for one more, next year,

Berkeley, Weisshaar, Nick DeMaio and possibly Cole Herbert,
along with Villagomez the freshman - quite a line up.

Meanwhile, this year …
:?
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Don’t see them beating Richmond
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Turnandrake wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:33 pm Don’t see them beating Richmond
Lol they all ready played
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

Finster wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:52 pm
DMac wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:37 pm

^^

DMAC has a good post. Not gonna lie. There’s zero chance he was in Richmond like myself, so was this game on television? If so, I’m the George Clooney look alike.

I just got to my hotel. Will write up more.
ESPN+
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I agree 👍
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

What doezzz a yelllowww light mean …….. SLOW DOWN
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

Feel like I have seen Towson lose that way before. Periods of good, periods of bad. Game was there for the taking tonight. Faceoffs were much better which was great to see and I thought the d-middies played way better tonight. Ground balls and 50/50 plays continue to result in goals for the other team
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

sc lax wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:46 pm Feel like I have seen Towson lose that way before. Periods of good, periods of bad. Game was there for the taking tonight. Faceoffs were much better which was great to see and I thought the d-middies played way better tonight. Ground balls and 50/50 plays continue to result in goals for the other team
I don't know if Long is the answer in goal and I know he made one sensational save on a one-and-one in front of the goal, but also allowed too many long shots. Loyola scored 7 goals on their first 14 shots. Yes, this game was there for the taking when Constantinides goes 18-9, but DeMaio (3g, 12 shots, 6 TOs) and Berkeley (2a, 7sh, 3TOs ) have to be better. Too many turnovers (18) and I don't think we have the explosive dodger at midfield for the umpteenth year. Webber was supposed to be that guy and he shows flashes. All I know is that in overtime, I'm trying to get the ball to Villagomez. That kid is going to be a stud and I'm putting Weisshaar on attack to get him the ball. Saw some good things tonight but we've been on the losing side of so many of these types of games. Would be nice to finally win a close game against a highly-ranked team.
ctbagataway

Post by ctbagataway »

Watched Towson for the first time this season and I came away impressed. Face offs were outstanding, defense was solid, and the offense was good. Just need to win one of these close ones to get over the hump mentally. I wouldn’t want to play this team, though. They can give anyone a run.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Quick turnaround — next game against UMBC,

definitely don’t want to look past that team.
Last edited by 10stone5 on Thu Mar 02, 2023 1:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Henpecked

Post by Henpecked »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:29 pm Quick turnaround, game against UMBC,

definitely don’t want to look past that team.
UMBC played tonight as well. No disadvantage. That’s gonna be a beastly game.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Full writeup on game from IL, actually pretty well done with
good detail,

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... nies/60834

It was good to see Weisshaar on the field, on EMO, he looks like
he really adds something to that 1st midfield.

A couple tough breaks at the end, Berkeley clangs a howitzer off
the goal post, then the ball takes an odd angle off the rebound
where Loyola gets closest to the ball.
sc lax

Post by sc lax »

As close as a must win game that there is today. This team needs to find their footing and get the taste of a win in their mouth before CAA play starts. UMBC is going to be very tough. Control the X, limit the mistakes on offense and I like our chances.
Math1234

Post by Math1234 »

Not sure that game is going to be played for a long time if at all. No power on the UMBC campus.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”