Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
jhu06

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by jhu06 »

JaXKy0521S wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:52 pm Man I truly will never understand how some people on this forum just grind the same axe. Here are some questions to ask yourself and please realistically answer these. Also how about we stop looking in the past and start embracing the present. Seems like a select few would rather the program fail rather than have success. Here are my questions for you.

1. Looking the schedule at the beginning of the year if I were to tell you the team was 2-2 would you have been happy or satisfied with the results?

2. For those that have actually WATCHED the games does this team look improved from last year and like they are forming an identity?

3. Have you had any real confirmation of the rumors about recruiting, players leaving and all the other trumped up stories posted on here?

4. For all the super fans on here how many of you are actually watching a practice, going to the scrimmages and or games or are you just being Monday morning QBs?

5. What if I told you Szuluk, Deans, Matt N, Melendez, Angelus, Evans and McDermott were hurt most of these 4 games and we are still 2-2 would you be surprised?

So here are my answers to these questions. I think looking at the schedule BEFORE the season started I would have thought the team would be somewhere between 2-2 and 3-1. So starting out 2-0 with a win over GTown is awesome we can all agree and by the board seems like winning shut up most of the fake JHU fans. Fast forward a couple days and drop a game against UNC which was winnable and stings but this happens. Team looked great to start then fell off in the second half. Now I will bring up something no one has. Maybe the players that missed against Loyola were dinged in the UNC game could that contribute to the fall off? We won’t know. Ok so again looking at the schedule before the season I think we thought Loyola was an EASIER game potentially. It was not they certainly seem like a new team from last year. Take that along with the fact it was at their place and with 2/3 of our attack out it was sure to be a rough game. Now for all that say PM is not liked and he’s too rough and whatever BS you make up that day you would think the team would just rollover but did they? Nope battled and gave effort all be it in a loosing one. This team all year has competed and has looked completely different than the last 2 years. If you watched the games this year you would clearly see an improvement from last year. The D looks strong with lots of on ball pressure and seem to do well at causing turnovers. Goalie play has been outstanding. Offense is still a work in progress when they are healthy and have the players in the right positions they spin it quick, have solid spacing and have produced. For all those that claim PM can’t develop players seems like Bauer is drastically improving, Stu Phillips is contributing seemingly each game, Collison is improving each game, Carson Brown has been awesome, Deans was looking great, and to find Melendez in the portal and get his performance I think those show you that the team not only likes him but have bought in! I think you all who claim that Covid is not an excuse really have no idea the restrictions that were placed on the coaches and players from the university. Lastly I will say this. I’m relatively new to JHU and your crazy fan base but I will say that I think you need to have realistic expectations. The team is trending in the right direction and I truly think they will be contenders if they get healthy. Sometimes you have to look at it for what it is. The team lost an icon as a coach in the middle of a pandemic. I think let the kids compete, let the coaches coach and us as FANS need to be fans and SUPPORT THE TEAM not find ways to divide it. Looking forward to this weekend would love to see a nice crowd out there. I’ll be in the stands cheering. I welcome your responses and sorry for the long post.
the offense was some of the worst in program history the last 6 quarters. That was a ridiculously bad second half against UNC-a game they should have put away in the first half and they looked like an MCLA team against loyola. I don't know the record of teams when their goalies score a goal but I would guess it's usually a W especially at home with an opponent traveling. Melendez and Angelus are nice players but degnon peshko and grimes in years 5 3 and 3 respectively shouldn't be invisible like that and the turnovers were pathetic.

I said before the season this team would go as far as the jr midfielders would take them and grimes and company need to be the reason we win games if they're doing anything other than locker cleanout day after selection sunday.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

JaXKy0521S wrote: ↑

2. For those that have actually WATCHED the games does this team look improved from last year and like they are forming an identity?
Yes
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:11 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 2:03 pm Score predictions for the Utah game?
Jays 14
Utes 8
I’d like to think they can let that offense loose, assuming injuries
don’t bog things down.

I wonder if this game had been in the works when Holman was
still there, the Robert Morris coach came in and turned things
around quickly.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

OCanada wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:49 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:49 am Final thought on the idea that Milliman "ran off" recruits. The contention seems to be that he wanted to "evaluate" Petro's recruits and communicated that to all the recruits. Here's the issue, though. Milliman was the head coach at Cornell at the time he was hired. The likelihood that he (or Cornell staff) hadn't evaluated Petro's recruits as part of Cornell's recruiting process is zero. All of those guys were known entities to Milliman. Were there 1 or 2 that he believed would be unlikely to see the field under his system? For sure, and this would have been communicated to those recruits; it's the right thing to do. But that he communicated to all recruits that they needed to be re-evaluated, thereby pissing off guys that he knew and liked from the Cornell recruiting process, defies credibility.”

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@. My reply

Not at all. Subjectivity treated as fact is “no way to govern a country” there was more likely minimal overlap. Some coaches don’t want some players. Some players don’t want certain schools or coaches. Some kids want the big time athletic experience. Some kids don’t want inner city schools, some kids to be away from home some don’t. Dome kids hsve already let it be known whete they want to go or who they want yo play for. PM is not yet high on that list. He did not have close ties to the Cornell lax community and certsinly does not have it at Hopkins. Maybe over time. Neither PM nor the ex OC are known for great social skills. Cornell now has a coach that does. A CNY guy with a big presence once commented he has never seen PM field a team made up of people he was responsible for recruiting. He is a delegator.

The previous coach was having difficulty getting players he wanted. It was recognized years ago as a problem. They reached out to the community for feedback and advice. Tgere were no easy answers. The freshman class this year has playets that are at Hopkins bcs of former players and alums. Hopkins has some great things to offer but some very significant hurdles as well

Jeff Teat was not at Cornell bcs of PM
That there is "minimal overlap" in the players evaluated by one D1 school vs another in the process is just flat-out 100% wrong.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:13 pm Any updates on the injured Jays ?
Any expected to be out this Saturday ?
Don't know their status for Saturday but Angelus and Melendez are both back at practice. As is Szuluk.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:57 pm
JaXKy0521S wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 4:52 pm Man I truly will never understand how some people on this forum just grind the same axe. Here are some questions to ask yourself and please realistically answer these. Also how about we stop looking in the past and start embracing the present. Seems like a select few would rather the program fail rather than have success. Here are my questions for you.

1. Looking the schedule at the beginning of the year if I were to tell you the team was 2-2 would you have been happy or satisfied with the results?

3. Have you had any real confirmation of the rumors about recruiting, players leaving and all the other trumped up stories posted on here?

4. For all the super fans on here how many of you are actually watching a practice, going to the scrimmages and or games or are you just being Monday morning QBs?

5. What if I told you Szuluk, Deans, Matt N, Melendez, Angelus, Evans and McDermott were hurt most of these 4 games and we are still 2-2 would you be surprised?

So here are my answers to these questions. I think looking at the schedule BEFORE the season started I would have thought the team would be somewhere between 2-2 and 3-1. So starting out 2-0 with a win over GTown is awesome we can all agree and by the board seems like winning shut up most of the fake JHU fans. Fast forward a couple days and drop a game against UNC which was winnable and stings but this happens. Team looked great to start then fell off in the second half. Now I will bring up something no one has. Maybe the players that missed against Loyola were dinged in the UNC game could that contribute to the fall off? We won’t know. Ok so again looking at the schedule before the season I think we thought Loyola was an EASIER game potentially. It was not they certainly seem like a new team from last year. Take that along with the fact it was at their place and with 2/3 of our attack out it was sure to be a rough game. Now for all that say PM is not liked and he’s too rough and whatever BS you make up that day you would think the team would just rollover but did they? Nope battled and gave effort all be it in a loosing one. This team all year has competed and has looked completely different than the last 2 years. If you watched the games this year you would clearly see an improvement from last year. The D looks strong with lots of on ball pressure and seem to do well at causing turnovers. Goalie play has been outstanding. Offense is still a work in progress when they are healthy and have the players in the right positions they spin it quick, have solid spacing and have produced. For all those that claim PM can’t develop players seems like Bauer is drastically improving, Stu Phillips is contributing seemingly each game, Collison is improving each game, Carson Brown has been awesome, Deans was looking great, and to find Melendez in the portal and get his performance I think those show you that the team not only likes him but have bought in! I think you all who claim that Covid is not an excuse really have no idea the restrictions that were placed on the coaches and players from the university. Lastly I will say this. I’m relatively new to JHU and your crazy fan base but I will say that I think you need to have realistic expectations. The team is trending in the right direction and I truly think they will be contenders if they get healthy. Sometimes you have to look at it for what it is. The team lost an icon as a coach in the middle of a pandemic. I think let the kids compete, let the coaches coach and us as FANS need to be fans and SUPPORT THE TEAM not find ways to divide it. Looking forward to this weekend would love to see a nice crowd out there. I’ll be in the stands cheering. I welcome your responses and sorry for the long post.
Great post. Amen. Go Jays.
+1
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:22 pm
BlueJaySince1947 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 5:13 pm Any updates on the injured Jays ?
Any expected to be out this Saturday ?
Don't know their status for Saturday but Angelus and Melendez are both back at practice. As is Szuluk.
Excellent news. Assume that means they play.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

primitiveskills wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:58 pm
primitiveskills wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 11:49 am Final thought on the idea that Milliman "ran off" recruits. The contention seems to be that he wanted to "evaluate" Petro's recruits and communicated that to all the recruits. Here's the issue, though. Milliman was the head coach at Cornell at the time he was hired. The likelihood that he (or Cornell staff) hadn't evaluated Petro's recruits as part of Cornell's recruiting process is zero. All of those guys were known entities to Milliman. Were there 1 or 2 that he believed would be unlikely to see the field under his system? For sure, and this would have been communicated to those recruits; it's the right thing to do. But that he communicated to all recruits that they needed to be re-evaluated, thereby pissing off guys that he knew and liked from the Cornell recruiting process, defies credibility.”

Not at all. Subjectivity treated as fact is “no way to govern a country” there was more likely minimal overlap. Some coaches don’t want some players. Some players don’t want certain schools or coaches. Some kids want the big time athletic experience. Some kids don’t want inner city schools, some kids to be away from home some don’t. Dome kids hsve already let it be known whete they want to go or who they want yo play for. PM is not yet high on that list. He did not have close ties to the Cornell lax community and certsinly does not have it at Hopkins. Maybe over time. Neither PM nor the ex OC are known for great social skills. Cornell now has a coach that does. A CNY guy with a big presence once commented he has never seen PM field a team made up of people he was responsible for recruiting. He is a delegator.

The previous coach was having difficulty getting players he wanted. It was recognized years ago as a problem. They reached out to the community for feedback and advice. Tgere were no easy answers. The freshman class this year has playets that are at Hopkins bcs of former players and alums. Hopkins has some great things to offer but some very significant hurdles as well

That there is "minimal overlap" in the players evaluated by one D1 school vs another in the process is just flat-out 100% wrong.
Not all all what i wrote. I said minimal overlap between Cornell and Hop for the players they recruited. By that I mean made an offer. Lots of players are run through an initial screen on the way to narrowing who they will prioritize and offer.

So no that is flat out wrong
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:26 pm

+1
Knowing the past is knowing the tradition, standard, and how the present came to be. Labeling things BS that are not bcs you apparently can’t integrate them is facile.

It is not binary. There are many threads. Liken it to a multiple regression. It is complex not simple. To some extent a touch of reality is necessary to put the flacks in perspective.

To answer a couple of points i thought the team would be above .500 and play better. Replacing the ill advised OC was addition by subtraction, we added really good transfers and Collison is still not being used as i hoped. Do yes i expected improvement

Thete is a very large Hopkins lax family w a lot of experience tepresented.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

OCanada wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:28 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:26 pm

+1
Knowing the past is knowing the tradition, standard, and how the present came to be. Labeling things BS that are not bcs you apparently can’t integrate them is facile.

It is not binary. There are many threads. Liken it to a multiple regression. It is complex not simple. To some extent a touch of reality is necessary to put the flacks in perspective.

To answer a couple of points i thought the team would be above .500 and play better. Replacing the ill advised OC was addition by subtraction, we added really good transfers and Collison is still not being used as i hoped. Do yes i expected improvement

Thete is a very large Hopkins lax family w a lot of experience tepresented.
Agreed - still wondering how Caricciolo fell off the map as well as fan radar, there were pundits expecting him to be a upgrade and start.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:18 am

Not all all what i wrote. I said minimal overlap between Cornell and Hop for the players they recruited. By that I mean made an offer. Lots of players are run through an initial screen on the way to narrowing who they will prioritize and offer.

There's something wrong with the quotes here, the following is MDLaxfan76:

Most people (at least in lax) mean by "recruited" is that a player was evaluated and there was an expression of serious interest in continuing discussions, whether or not an 'offer' was made Sept 1 or not. Players are on the short list...or not. Not everyone who is recruited actually gets an offer, as a coach may well prioritize making those offers, first, to those most likely, but not guaranteed, to accept if offered first. Second or third or fourth on the position list may be the one actually landed.

It's not reasonable to say "I was recruited" if not told they were on the short list or had an actual offer.

The point was whether Milliman had actually evaluated these players prior to the switch to Hopkins...it's highly likely that he had done so in many if not most instances (or sure as heck should have) given that the sorts of players who would likely be attracted to comparable academic institutions with comparable lacrosse legacies, and are of a caliber worth attention of high aspiration program, are a subset of the overall. It's also quite likely that if the player had expressed an interest in Cornell, they'd have known, probably through a coach, whether there was a reciprocal interest or not.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:01 am Agreed - still wondering how Caricciolo fell off the map as well as fan radar, there were pundits expecting him to be a upgrade and start.
The answer to that question is fairly simple in that Marcille came alive to win the job and has been arguably good so far this year. Many of us know Caracciolo exists and I thought he might have actually looked the best in the spring scrimmage. But...

68% - W
57% - W
58% - L
50% - L

The play in net doesn't even come close to making the high priority list of concerns just yet so there isn't any reason to look for a change in who plays there.

I don't know how much I'd read into Versfeld being the next man up to go out there for the last 5 minutes of a foregone conclusion. Could Caracciolo have another year with us if he doesn't see the field at all this year beyond the scrimmage date? I'm not too well versed in the workings of red shirt rules anymore.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Ruffled_Feathers wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:47 am I don't know how much I'd read into Versfeld being the next man up to go out there for the last 5 minutes of a foregone conclusion. Could Caracciolo have another year with us if he doesn't see the field at all this year beyond the scrimmage date? I'm not too well versed in the workings of red shirt rules anymore.
If Kirst could play in 2022 for Rutgers then they should be able to figure something out for Caracciolo next year — if they want it. Seems like the NCAA has been relatively lenient on the 6th year waivers as of late. Caracciolo missed the fall recovering from offseason surgery so that could help his case. He'd have to find another program however as I'm pretty sure he's doing a 1-year master's.

BTW, more good news, Narewski is back at practice for this first time in...a long time. I'd be a bit surprised if we saw him against Utah, but the Jays are getting healthier.
Ruffled_Feathers

Post by Ruffled_Feathers »

Ah yeah I had no idea about the length of his graduate program figured it might be for longer like Gib.

So since you're giving injury updates and we're talking about goalies. Has Marcille been practicing this week? We never really got too much info on what his diagnosis if anything from the collision ultimately was.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

it's nice to have guys back but they choked with some of them on offense against UNC in a game that could prove pivotal to making the ncaa tournament and grimes and peshko proved against loyola that they aren't quarter to quarter much less game to game studs or even consistent players.

Stuart Phillips gets a lot of love but he and chauvette haven't shown much.

I will say that raposo and ince have quietly had a very nice year so far and even jaronski has made improvement.

https://www.instagram.com/cazlakershockey/
Forrest Ives in a Hopkins Lax tee shirt with a puck and some tape of him going end to end.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:18 am it's nice to have guys back but they choked with some of them on offense against UNC in a game that could prove pivotal to making the ncaa tournament and grimes and peshko proved against loyola that they aren't quarter to quarter much less game to game studs or even consistent players.

Stuart Phillips gets a lot of love but he and chauvette haven't shown much.

I will say that raposo and ince have quietly had a very nice year so far and even jaronski has made improvement.

https://www.instagram.com/cazlakershockey/
Forrest Ives in a Hopkins Lax tee shirt with a puck and some tape of him going end to end.
Get a new dog to kick. The Grimes stuff is tiresome. He and Collison accounted for half of the team's goals against Loyola. Their sweeps over the middle were basically the only way we were able to generate offense. Without them the scoreline would have been even more embarrassing than it was. Really weird timing to continue your crusade against the guy considering he was one of precisely two offensive players who made an impact vs. the Hounds. As far as consistency goes — he has multiple points in three games. Can you guess how many other players can say the same? I'll help you out. It's just one: Angelus. No one else.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:42 am

Most people (at least in lax) mean by "recruited" is that a player was evaluated and there was an expression of serious interest in continuing discussions, whether or not an 'offer' was made Sept 1 or not. Players are on the short list...or not. Not everyone who is recruited actually gets an offer, as a coach may well prioritize making those offers, first, to those most likely, but not guaranteed, to accept if offered first. Second or third or fourth on the position list may be the one actually landed.

It's not reasonable to say "I was recruited" if not told they were on the short list or had an actual offer.

The point was whether Milliman had actually evaluated these players prior to the switch to Hopkins...it's highly likely that he had done so in many if not most instances (or sure as heck should have) given that the sorts of players who would likely be attracted to comparable academic institutions with comparable lacrosse legacies, and are of a caliber worth attention of high aspiration program, are a subset of the overall. It's also quite likely that if the player had expressed an interest in Cornell, they'd have known, probably through a coach, whether there was a reciprocal interest or not.
This.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

HopFan16 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 11:00 am BTW, more good news, Narewski is back at practice for this first time in...a long time. I'd be a bit surprised if we saw him against Utah, but the Jays are getting healthier.
This is big news. I think A Nawreski/Dunn/Callahan trio has a chance to be really successful (i.e. pushing 60% for the rest of the season). Combine that with an improved defense (I even thought that they were OK against Loyola) and if maybe above average goaltending (which I think is approaching likely at this point; Marcille had a weird game against Loyola, very good overall, but definitely gave up a couple of softies), it would take a lot of pressure off the offense, which has been the problem the last 5 quarters.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

primitiveskills wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 12:46 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:42 am

This.
ftfy
nrthcrosslax

Post by nrthcrosslax »

Just throwing it out for the detectives out there, Instagram has pictures of practice this week. It's hard to tell who is wearing the #0 practice jersey. Marcille or no?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”