Big Ten 2019

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Hawkeye

Re: Big Ten 2019

Post by Hawkeye »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but at this point, I don't see how Rutgers can miss... Hopkins did not have this listed in their press release, but I can't come up with an outcome where they aren't in.

1. Penn State 3-0 (2 games left)
2. Maryland 3-1 (1 game left)
3. Johns Hopkins 2-1 (2 games left)
4. Rutgers 2-2 (1 game left)
5. Ohio State 1-3 (1 game left)
6. Michigan 0-4 (OUT)

Rutgers can't finish with fewer than 2 wins. If that happens, they're obviously behind PSU and UMCP.

Ohio State can't finish with more than 2 wins.

If it's JHU/tOSU/RU all at 2-3, Rutgers is the #3 seed.

If Hopkins wins one of their next two, only Ohio State can tie Rutgers at 2-3, and Rutgers has the head-to-head.
Georgia Tech alumnus
2019 Georgia Tech lacrosse final record: 18-2; MCLA semifinalist
-
College lacrosse television schedules: https://markmhart9.wixsite.com/mysite
Cooter

Post by Cooter »

Hawkeye wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:03 pm
Cooter wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 3:12 pm I guess in my mind, OSU is probably the 3rd best team in the Big.
I think tOSU and Hopkins are very close for 3rd best team this season, with Rutgers not far behind. If you held a gun to my head and made me pick, though, I'd pick the same team as you - Ohio State - as the 3rd best. If Ohio State doesn't mess up and lose to Michigan next week, I think they are NCAA bound.
I don't see that top 10 win for Hopkins, where as OSU did knock off Notre Dame.
Live Free or Die!
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Cooter wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 7:25 pm I don't see that top 10 win for Hopkins, where as OSU did knock off Notre Dame.
Yes, very true. Ohio State's resume is stronger. I was speaking about what I see from them on the field more than results/resume, though.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Post by WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus »

jhu06 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:03 pm https://hopkinssports.com/news/2019/4/1 ... notes.aspx

B1G Tournament - What We Know
« Entering this week's action, none of the six teams has clinched a spot in the upcoming B1G Tournament and none of the six have been eliminated.
« Before it even plays on Sunday, Penn State clinches a spot in the tournament with a loss by either Ohio State or Rutgers on Saturday. A win Sunday assures the Nittany Lions of a spot and the top seed.
« Maryland clinches a spot with a win.
« Johns Hopkins clinches a spot with a win on Sunday and a loss by either Rutgers or Ohio State on Saturday.
« Rutgers can clinch a spot in the tournament with a win this weekend coupled with a loss by Ohio State and a win by Johns Hopkins.
« Ohio State is eliminated with a loss coupled with wins by Rutgers and Johns Hopkins. The Buckeyes remain alive with a win regardless of the results of the other two games.
« Michigan is eliminated with a loss.

« This week's game will be Johns Hopkins' 16th against the number-one ranked team in the nation under the direction of head coach Dave Pietramala. The Blue Jays are 9-6 in the first 15 of those games.
« Of the 15 games Johns Hopkins has played against a top-ranked team under head coach Dave Pietramala, nine of the 15 have been decided by one goal.
« JHU is 7-2 under Pietramala in one-goal games against a team ranked number one in the nation.
« The last seven times JHU has played the top-ranked team in the nation, the game has been decided by three goals or less.
Doing the Little Things
Yada yada yada. Show you can play a full 60 minutes without wilting. That’s part of doing the little things, although I’d call them downright major problems at this point.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

FannOLax wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 4:37 pm The big pennants hanging from the rafters above the indoor swimming pool of the State College, PA Ramada Inn include all Big 10 schools, but no Johns Hopkins pennant. Ah well, I'll be leaving earlier than originally planned and missing the PSU-JHU game (well, watching it on TV instead of in-person); marriage involves compromises. Penn State and Maryland look like shoo-ins for the NCAAs, but after that, bubble teams... If only Hop had held on against tOSU, if only. Maryland certainly knows how to play in the 4th quarter and Penn State is seriously good; anyone else might have to grab the AQ, although Hop, oh Hop....
Okay, here’s what you should have done.

You should have created some faux outrage with the manager over the banners, and claimed they are goofed up and offensive to some guests.

Then you should have made a bet with the manager that the banners are wrong, in more than one way.

Winning the bet, you can provide a Hopkins banner to be hung up there.

We can leave it up to Notre Dame fans to fix the other Associate error.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Ten ... te_members

Holy cow, JHU’s enrollment is almost twice as big as Notre Dame’s. I figured there are Catholics crawling all over that place in multitudes. Hmm. Blessed are the cheesemakers.

And craftbrewers.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Yes, the Penn State men's lacrosse team is seriously good. It's not just Ament, O'Keefe, Arceri and Kneese; everyone can play. What's not to like about PSU? Well, those gray uniforms. Hop's uniforms, with the Columbia blue jerseys, are definitely better than Penn State's gray (whites that went into the laundry with navy blues?) outfits. Early in the third quarter, it was 9-5, and JHU's offense had three opportunities to cut it to 9-6; alas, Hop's sixth goal came when the Nittany Lions already had a dozen. No feeling sorry for yourselves, Jays, Maryland is in less than a week.
Dramatic come-from-behind win yesterday for the Terps in Ohio: always good to see them Buckeyes lose.
Michigan is out.
Again, Penn State is seriously good.
Quint and carc should be kept apart: they bring out the adolescent idiot in each other, talking about candy corn... and Cole Williams as an NFL wide receiver?? Gimme a break.
Lax1887

Post by Lax1887 »

Assuming there are no upsets in the final weekend of conference play meaning PSU beats Rutgers, MD beats JHU and OSU beats Michigan (this game not a factor for BIg 10 tournament as both are out regardless of outcome) it looks like PSU, MD, JHU and Rutgers are in the tournament seeded in that order? Am I missing anything?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Lax1887 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:44 pm Assuming there are no upsets in the final weekend of conference play meaning PSU beats Rutgers, MD beats JHU and OSU beats Michigan (this game not a factor for BIg 10 tournament as both are out regardless of outcome) it looks like PSU, MD, JHU and Rutgers are in the tournament seeded in that order? Am I missing anything?
Why would OSU be out if they beat Michigan?

DocBarrister :?:
@DocBarrister
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Lax1887 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:44 pm Assuming there are no upsets in the final weekend of conference play meaning PSU beats Rutgers, MD beats JHU and OSU beats Michigan (this game not a factor for BIg 10 tournament as both are out regardless of outcome) it looks like PSU, MD, JHU and Rutgers are in the tournament seeded in that order? Am I missing anything?
(New information below)
Last edited by Hawkeye on Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

Quint and carc should be kept apart: they bring out the adolescent idiot in each other, talking about candy corn...
When a game is a rout, announcers have to talk about something to fill the time. How many times can you say 'this game is an old-fashioned butt kicking'?
CU77

Post by CU77 »

You can take the time and effort to explain what's happening on the field. Offenses and defenses are still running, and there is plenty about the details of the sport that I don't know that Quint and Carc do. Boyle (among others) does this very well.

If I don't care about the game, I will turn it off.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

The College Crosse guys have seemingly cleared up the Big Ten tiebreaker:

https://twitter.com/Chris_Jast/status/1 ... 0241678336

The big change is that the goal differential tiebreaker only counts up to 3 goals per game. Meaning, hypothetically, a blowout 20 point win is still only +3 in terms of goal differential. That's the most (or least) you can get in a single game. So Rutgers' 8 point win over Ohio State is, in effect, still only +3.

Given that, here's how things shake out if there's a three-way tie at 2-3 (keep in mind goal differential only counts among games between the tied teams, not all conference games):

Rutgers (+3 vs. OSU, -2 vs. Hop) = +1
Hop (+2 vs. Rutgers, -1 vs. OSU) = +1
OSU (-3 vs. Rutgers, +1 vs. Hop) = -2

Rutgers and Hop are tied at +1 goal differential. I'm not 100% sure how that gets settled (yes, were into "tiebreakers for the tiebreaker" territory) but I believe since Hop won the head-to-head, they'd get the #3 seed. Then it resets with Rutgers and OSU, and Rutgers is in based on that head-to-head.

So it'd be:

1. Penn State
2. Maryland
3. Hopkins
4. Rutgers

(Again, this is all assuming Hopkins and Rutgers lose next weekend, while Ohio State wins. If OSU somehow loses to Michigan, they're out no matter what. In fact, they finish in last place. Michigan would be in fifth. But that seems rather unlikely.)

So Hopkins would stand to benefit with the change to +3 max goal differential. If there's no goal cap, then Rutgers has the clear goal differential advantage over all three teams. They wouldn't be tied with Hopkins. And then it'd reset with just JHU and OSU, and OSU would advance. I'm not sure the reasoning for the +3 cap, but cue the conspiracy theories about trying to keep Hopkins in. At least it wouldn't come at the expense of Rutgers, whose fans would probably orchestrate some sort of mass suicide pact in that scenario.
Last edited by HopFan16 on Sun Apr 21, 2019 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

HopFan16 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:42 pm The College Crosse guys have seemingly cleared up the Big Ten tiebreaker:
I still don't understand why this information isn't publicly available on the Big Ten website.
Georgia Tech alumnus
-
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

agreed, Hawk. I spent at least 30 minutes last weekend googling and could not find anything even remotely close.
Lax1887

Post by Lax1887 »

DocBarrister wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 4:47 pm
Why would OSU be out if they beat Michigan?

I'm going to pretend I knew about the goal differential tiebreaker HopFan16 unearthed as it came to the same conclusion I did. ;)

DocBarrister :?:
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

If all this tiebreaker mumbo jumbo is correct (I feel like it is but won’t feel totally comfortable until someone from the conference or an SID actually confirms it), then Ohio State can still get in if they beat Michigan, Hopkins loses to Maryland, and Rutgers beats Penn State. Because then Rutgers would be 3-2 and there wouldn’t be a three-way tiebreaker. It’d just be a tiebreaker between OSU and Hop, and OSU has the edge. So the Buckeyes need to take care of Michigan and then root for the Scarlet Knights to pull off the upset. With PSU already having secured the top seed, maybe Tambroni rests his starters.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Big Dog wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 5:09 pm
Quint and carc should be kept apart: they bring out the adolescent idiot in each other, talking about candy corn...
When a game is a rout, announcers have to talk about something to fill the time. How many times can you say 'this game is an old-fashioned butt kicking'?
The instances I cited are from the first half of the game, when JHU were still very much in the game (it became a rout roughly mid-way through the 3rd quarter).
Seahawk

Post by Seahawk »

Can anyone confirm that UMD and JHU will play each other the next two weeks regardless of who wins this Saturday as long as PSU beats RU?
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Seahawk wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 4:55 pm Can anyone confirm that UMD and JHU will play each other the next two weeks regardless of who wins this Saturday as long as PSU beats RU?
I am not a Big Ten official so I cannot officially 100% confirm it but that does appear to be the case. As I understand it, if Hopkins beats Maryland, they're the #2 seed and Maryland is the #3 seed (both would be 3-2, Hop has the tiebreaker). If Maryland wins (and, as you said, Penn State beats Rutgers), then Maryland is the #2 seed, Hopkins is the #3 seed. Either way, #2 and #3 play eachother in Piscataway. Only difference is which team gets to wear white. Rutgers is the #4 seed no matter what if they lose. If they win then it gets a lot more complicated.
WOMBAT, Mod Emeritus

Everyone loses by having to visit Piscataway.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”