Food thread - All things food-related

General Chatter
Farfromgeneva

Re: Food thread - All things food-related

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Kismet wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:17 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 12:11 pm
RedFromMI wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 11:36 am I have had Frank Pepe's from Fairfield CT (also New Haven) a couple of times. Nice thin crust baked in coal fired oven...
New Haven is good but it’s the same 2-3 places always discussed. NYC has many mediocre ones but easily 20 excellent ones. Even Grimaldis and the one just off Spring and Lafayette who’s name escapes me at the moment.
Lombardi's at 32 Spring Street (near corner with Mott Street) in NoLita neighborhood. Been there since the 1920s.
Yes! I was a huge rice to riches fan so I’d hit lombardis then get dessert from time to time. But it’s a tourist trap if good.

Hop on the 6 like fro my UES crib, go there then go get drunk at a Hobart friends bootleg railroad apt on 11th between B & C where they somehow could never keep the door to the roof closed and locked without being kicked in. But I know nothing about that last part/
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
Bart

Post by Bart »

DMac wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:03 am Nope, I don't go out on the ice. Fell through it when I was 15, cracked my wrist grabbing for something to keep me from going all the way in (Ice is hard), that ended my days of going out on the ice. Water wasn't really deep enough where I would have gone completely under but it was plenty cold enough and a plenty scary enough experience for me to have no desire to go out and take some ice fisherman's spot. Lot of people go out there but I aint one of 'em.
Perch are very tasty, blue gills and crappie too. You get no bones when I fillet your fish, I've done an awful lot of them and I'm pretty fussy about it. Nothing worse than getting a fishbone stuck in the roof of your mouth or gums....that aint gonna happen with any fish I fillet. Pike are pretty tasty too but that's a fish you have to know what you're doing with when filleting. You can get 5 boneless fillets off of them if you know their bone structure, gotta have a little experience with those. Pickerel are the same but I don't really like screwing around with them, typically they're too skinny and they're really a slimy fish too. All fun to catch though. Biggest perch around here come from Seneca Lake, lot of 'em in there and mostly fatties...nice fish for sure.
Perch is a great fish. Fried is always a good way. We will also boil the filets, let them cool down in refrigerator and then take them out and eat them with cocktail sauce. We call it "Po Man's" shrimp...does not really taste like shrimp but it does taste really good.

Some of that with a batch of fried smelt, Genny Lite and euchre with good friends make for a fantastic time.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

I made a no bake mascarpone cheese cake pie sorta like this:

very tasty and incredibly easy to make - the only draw back being that the cheese is a bit pricey
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

Charles Francis "Socker" Coe, Esq
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Saw this at the market yesterday. Never seen this before.
487345C0-CD95-45F6-853B-0AB713F7059A.jpeg
487345C0-CD95-45F6-853B-0AB713F7059A.jpeg (107.26 KiB) Viewed 815 times
DMac

Post by DMac »

Looks like it stayed on the shelf too. That's a new one on me too.

Been on an Asian kick lately, hadn't ever screwed around with bok choy but I will again.
That's this stuff and I gotta say say I don't think you'd get better at Moma-san's Hooch &
Eatery. Man, that came out really good, pretty simple too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tGJkroZwUI
Got some wings and baby backs going on there, cooked up Asian style too. Gotta have
the right seasonings and sauces and you can make it every bit as good as you get at a
Chinese restaurant. Lotta flavor going on there, good stuff.
ardilla secreta

DMac wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:28 pm Looks like it stayed on the shelf too. That's a new one on me too.

Been on an Asian kick lately, hadn't ever screwed around with bok choy but I will again.
That's this stuff and I gotta say say I don't think you'd get better at Moma-san's Hooch &
Eatery. Man, that came out really good, pretty simple too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tGJkroZwUI
Got some wings and baby backs going on there, cooked up Asian style too. Gotta have
the right seasonings and sauces and you can make it every bit as good as you get at a
Chinese restaurant. Lotta flavor going on there, good stuff.
Nice job, that looks good. First, tell me the story behind that platter.

I frequently do stir-fry in my wok with results comparable to Asian restaurants. What’s important to to have everything in place, ready to go cooking the items that take longest first and then not to over-thicken with cornstarch. I like bok choy too and also use gai lan (Chinese broccoli), you should try that too.
DMac

Post by DMac »

ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:11 pm

First, tell me the story behind that platter.

Interesting question. Was actually my mom's china, it spent most of its life in the china hutch behind glass. She'd pull it out when guests were there and for Thanksgiving and Christmas (she was an outstanding cook...baker too). Pulled some of it out not that long ago and have been using it a little bit. There's a whole set of it including tea pot and cups, pretty nice serving bowls (like what the spaetzle would be in...gravy boat too, of course), plates, saucers, etc. I would guess it's pretty decent quality stuff, she had pretty good taste. It came from the PX on the Army base in Kitzingen, Germany (1960 or '61). So there's your story, here's the brand name, means nothing to me but might to you.
ardilla secreta

DMac wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:23 pm
ardilla secreta wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:11 pm

First, tell me the story behind that platter.

Interesting question. Was actually my mom's china, it spent most of its life in the china hutch behind glass. She'd pull it out when guests were there and for Thanksgiving and Christmas (she was an outstanding cook...baker too). Pulled some of it out not that long ago and have been using it a little bit. There's a whole set of it including tea pot and cups, pretty nice serving bowls (like what the spaetzle would be in...gravy boat too, of course), plates, saucers, etc. I would guess it's pretty decent quality stuff, she had pretty good taste. It came from the PX on the Army base in Kitzingen, Germany (1960 or '61). So there's your story, here's the brand name, means nothing to me but might to you.
Struck me as an attractive, unique, traditional pattern. ESCHENBACH PORZELLAN been around since 1891 and still in business. The US Zone stamp makes me believe it was made for the US armed services market. Never heard if it myself.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Guess how many folks will hate me in my packed flight to San Fran this am?

Setup: full flight, couldn’t get out of middle seat. My breakfast I just wolfed down?

Airport Chinese food!

Beef and Broccoli

Lo Mein w soy

Spicy thai chicken

And a Diet Coke…
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

And a Diet Coke…

Ohhh nooooooooooo!!!!

Don't you realize that this stuff is full of dangerous and malignant chemicals??? :shock:

https://www.pennmedicine.org/updates/bl ... en%20foods.
It has been proven a hundred times that the surest way to the heart of any man, black or white, honest or dishonest, is through justice and fairness.

ardilla secreta

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 10:15 am Guess how many folks will hate me in my packed flight to San Fran this am?

Setup: full flight, couldn’t get out of middle seat. My breakfast I just wolfed down?

Airport Chinese food!

Beef and Broccoli

Lo Mein w soy

Spicy thai chicken

And a Diet Coke…
Should of packed a bag of samosas and a couple Banh Mi Thit Nuong.
ardilla secreta

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:19 pm
And a Diet Coke…

Ohhh nooooooooooo!!!!

Don't you realize that this stuff is full of dangerous and malignant chemicals??? :shock:

a ginger ale would have been more appropriate.
Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

ardilla secreta wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 7:03 pm

a ginger ale would have been more appropriate

Absolutely!

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 8:08 pm

a ginger ale would have been more appropriate

Absolutely!
Had chili for dinner and a lot more diet Coke’s.
It’s 2:45 and I’m wondered where the alka seltzer is in this joint…
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:06 am

Had chili for dinner and a lot more diet Coke’s.
It’s 2:45 and I’m wondered where the alka seltzer is in this joint…

multiple uses for Coke products: https://www.businessinsider.com/things- ... oke-2015-5

Yeech!

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Brooklyn wrote: Fri Feb 24, 2023 6:19 pm
And a Diet Coke…

Ohhh nooooooooooo!!!!

a ginger ale would have been more appropriate.

Ardilla, if you get to Oakland got a spot near where my sister lived for more than a decade which I took a friend I do business with to for lunch today as a throwback. Think you’d like it. I hadn’t been this way in 3-4yrs after coming out 1-3x/yr for more than a decade prior.

https://champagardenoakland.com/
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Brooklyn

Post by Brooklyn »

https://fanlax.com/forum/download/file.php?id=2411

definitely on my food agenda, notwithstanding its price as shown on Amazon

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

My daughter is a Girl Scout. Important information below. (Haven’t tried them but this sounds like a good Ike if not better than the best which is inarguably Samoa’s-I won’t tolerate any arguments on this topic, even from thin mint fans):

Wow! That was fast. Raspberry Rally is officially sold out for Girl Scouts of Greater Atlanta. We are grateful for the strong immediate support for our newest cookie and share your disappointment that there aren’t more to go around. We’ve included answers to a few frequently asked questions below.

The fun doesn’t stop here! There is still plenty of time and opportunity to reach your goals!

Customers near and far can still get many of their favorites shipped directly to their front door or delivered in-person. There are 7 popular Girl Scout cookie varieties currently available for shipping, including last year’s hard-to-get Adventurefuls.
Has your troop set up a Troop Link? Customers in the Atlanta market who do not know a Girl Scout are still looking to purchase cookies for direct ship from girls in their area using the Cookie Finder which directs them to a Troop Link!
Cookie booths are still a great way to get cookies in the hands of customers in your area. Our cookie cupboards are stocked with all available varieties, including Samoas and Toffee-tastics.
We know customers will continue to support our girls as they work to achieve their cookie goals — goals that fuel awesome adventures all year long! If you have any questions, please reach out to [email protected].

Raspberry Rally FAQs
Why did Raspberry Rally sell out so quickly?
As a new cookie, Raspberry Rally had a limited production based on national projections made last year. Each council received a proportionate amount of Raspberry Rally cookies based on that national forecast. Our bakery, Little Brownie Bakers, has produced their planned production for the season. Due to the seasonal nature of Girl Scout cookies, there is no opportunity to bake additional product this year.

Why do some councils still have Raspberry Rally cookies available?
Each council may sell their share of Raspberry Rally at different rates. The timing of each council’s cookie program varies across the country, so some councils may just be starting their program.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:43 pm My daughter is a Girl Scout. Important information below. (Haven’t tried them but this sounds like a good Ike if not better than the best which is inarguably Samoa’s-I won’t tolerate any arguments on this topic, even from thin mint fans):
NO argument here.....I will say thin mints go incredibly well with a dram or 2 of bourbon. NOt to mention the tag-a-longs.

Secret for everyone - Aldi has Samoas all year long: https://www.delish.com/food-news/a22737 ... t-cookies/
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 4:11 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 3:43 pm My daughter is a Girl Scout. Important information below. (Haven’t tried them but this sounds like a good Ike if not better than the best which is inarguably Samoa’s-I won’t tolerate any arguments on this topic, even from thin mint fans):
NO argument here.....I will say thin mints go incredibly well with a dram or 2 of bourbon. NOt to mention the tag-a-longs.

Secret for everyone - Aldi has Samoas all year long: https://www.delish.com/food-news/a22737 ... t-cookies/
I like thin mints but Samoa’s are the shiznit
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”