D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by OCanada »

School sponsored? Curious
44WeWantMore

Post by 44WeWantMore »

Not school sponsored, but not aggressively policed.
Be in their flowing cups freshly rememb'red.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

flalax22 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:44 am
My understanding is that he contacted all recruits and informed them that their recruiting status had now changed and all were going to be evaluated going forward. That would explain the immediate flips. From what I’ve heard those kids wanted to come to Hopkins but wanted no part of proving themselves to PM. So if you don’t like the term run off so be it but PM reopened their commitment status
[/quote]

I seriously, seriously doubt that this account is true. I don't know a single coach that would do that in PM's circumstance. It is far easier to believe that kids opted out after the coaching change. That happens all the time in every sport.
JHU69

Post by JHU69 »

OCanada wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:30 pm I don’t believe beer has ever been sold

There used to be a thriving underground activity taking in bourbon, bloody marys, orange blossoms most prominently. Electric brownies avoided airborne give aways. You could have pizza or other food delivered.

That stopped, sort of, when a group of townies or pledges placed a lot of oranges in the stadium before a game day. Hopkins was playing Cuse. The oranges got tossed onto the field. Soon they tried to stop it. Food vendors were brought in. Previously there was one station selling “death” dogs. The trade in alcohol was slowed but never stopped. Ingenuity . Short version
I would take a one quart canteen filled with 1 to 1 100% alcohol and Squirt. Passed among four or more after each Hopkins score. Usually gone by halftime, as were we! :lol:
I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

primitiveskills wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:29 pm
My understanding is that he contacted all recruits and informed them that their recruiting status had now changed and all were going to be evaluated going forward. That would explain the immediate flips. From what I’ve heard those kids wanted to come to Hopkins but wanted no part of proving themselves to PM. So if you don’t like the term run off so be it but PM reopened their commitment status
I seriously, seriously doubt that this account is true. I don't know a single coach that would do that in PM's circumstance. It is far easier to believe that kids opted out after the coaching change. That happens all the time in every sport.
[/quote]

Maybe Murphy knows the answer to this.
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Does Hopkins respond in a positive and big way vs. Utah?
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

gymman1031 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 12:09 am Does Hopkins respond in a positive and big way vs. Utah?
beer garden isn't until the st. joe's game.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:33 pm Maybe Murphy knows the answer to this.
Maybe you should refrain from bringing up an incident that happened almost 3 years ago and involves a kid's academics and potentially personal behavior. I am 100% sure you were not in the building and have no idea what transpired aside from the one or two you know what's that fla dropped in the Milliman punch bowl on this forum. Just recognize there are vastly different accounts on what happened. And I readily admit I was not in the building either and have no idea but you are once again childishly reacting to hearsay and taking an unsubstantiated story as gospel.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 6:46 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:33 pm Maybe Murphy knows the answer to this.
Maybe you should refrain from bringing up an incident that happened almost 3 years ago and involves a kid's academics and potentially personal behavior. I am 100% sure you were not in the building and have no idea what transpired aside from the one or two you know what's that fla dropped in the Milliman punch bowl on this forum. Just recognize there are vastly different accounts on what happened. And I readily admit I was not in the building either and have no idea but you are once again childishly reacting to hearsay and taking an unsubstantiated story as gospel.
I know he's starring for Maryland now and played a key role in defeating us last year at Homewood.
QK said on broadcast that he went to UMD because they didn't want him at JHU anymore.
I don't know the details of his circumstances beyond that, but I do know he won an NC last year while Hop has had three losing seasons in a row.
It was pretty obvious he was one of our best players in the Covid shortened year. That's all I need to know and no one at the Cordish center gets or deserves a pass on this one. UMD is not a shabby school academically btw.
Anyway, if they gave Murphy a bad deal, it's not hard to believe they treated recruits shabby too. Sometimes the gossip is all too real. Where there's smoke there's usually fire.
Last edited by Sagittarius A* on Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:42 am I don't know the details of his circumstances
then shut up
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

HopFan16 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:45 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:42 am I don't know the details of his circumstances
then shut up

If that was a criteria the page total in this thread and others would be reduced
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

then shut up

If that was a criteria the page total in this thread and others would be reduced
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

OCanada wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:49 am
then shut up

Where there's smoke there's usually fire.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:53 am
OCanada wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:49 am
then shut up

Where there's smoke there's usually fire.
It is simply incredible that you don't see the irony in this
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

If you don't know the details - then how are you assessing the fact that the current staff acted irrationally? Quint? I think it has been pretty well established that he is not the oracle of college lacrosse. AND - the statement "Hopkins didn't want him" is in and of itself - accurate. That statement passes no judgment on the justification for the decision. Maybe just maybe they acted in a completely rational manner and Maryland chose a different path after a year went by. And I am not saying anything bad about Maryland. People deserve second chances and its worked out well for him - certainly lacrosse wise.
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:42 am It was pretty obvious he was one of our best players in the Covid shortened year.

Exactly. So let's recap. Milliman takes the job in the middle of April '20 at pretty much the height of a global pandemic. He can't meet with his team - he almost can't travel from New York to Baltimore for a while. He has to hire assistants - he has a million administrative details and he has to worry about the class of 20/21 and any players that want to depart from the current team. So among his first two action items is to contact the next class of recruits and basically kick them to the curb without ANY Plan B - i.e. everyone else is committed and there is no late Spring Summer lacrosse circuit (so he creates for himself this somewhat lost sophomore class) and then dismiss arguably the team's best offensive player that he could have for next 4 years for a supposedly minor transgression for which if the characterization was accurate, he would not be dismissed from the school according to the honor code. Sounds like the Chewbacca Defense to me.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:42 am It was pretty obvious he was one of our best players in the Covid shortened year. That's all I need to know and no one at the Cordish center gets or deserves a pass on this one.
Sorry - I missed this one first time around - so this means that as long as you are a great lacrosse player - no standards of rules or behavior apply? So star mid-fielder Blauman can go around stabbing people and he gets a pass? Boys will be boys? This is absurd.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

primitiveskills wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:29 pm
[/quote]

Believe what you want. PM wanted to eval Petros recruits not be handcuffed. Lars did the exact same thing at UVA
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:51 am
Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 7:42 am It was pretty obvious he was one of our best players in the Covid shortened year. That's all I need to know and no one at the Cordish center gets or deserves a pass on this one.
Sorry - I missed this one first time around - so this means that as long as you are a great lacrosse player - no standards of rules or behavior apply? So star mid-fielder Blauman can go around stabbing people and he gets a pass? Boys will be boys? This is absurd.
If you don’t think PM standard of conduct for players since his arrival has been inconsistent you have ZERO idea of what’s gone on there. While I’m not there everyday I’ve talked to enough people involved with the program and those that are that the shifting conduct expectations has been an issue.
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

flalax22 wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:06 am
51percentcorn wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:51 am
If you don’t think PM standard of conduct for players since his arrival has been inconsistent you have ZERO idea of what’s gone on there. While I’m not there everyday I’ve talked to enough people involved with the program and those that are that the shifting conduct expectations has been an issue.
My "all I need to know" comment referred to the entirety of my statement before that. You are cherry picking. The fact that UMD took him in speaks volumes. They would not have done that with any kind of serious issue.
Anyway, given what we know and have seen so far, it's hard to dismiss the volume of negative info that's appearing on our board.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Thu Feb 23, 2023 9:18 am The fact that UMD took him in speaks volumes. They would not have done that with any kind of serious issue.
You sure about that? How many games did their star attackman miss after he was arrested for assault?

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”