Navy 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
The Orfling

Re: Navy 2023

Post by The Orfling »

Well, that was a disappointment. Although they hit pipes (3 in the second half I think) and faced a good goalie, this seems like it can pretty firmly go in the "one that got away" category.

I (internet rando on a lacrosse board) would also like to officially register my dislike of the goalie platoon. I think #1 is a good young 'tender but when #19 is virtually unbeatable in the first half (1 goal against, 6 saves), and the game is close (three-goal margin), I do not love the pre-arranged switch. It brings to mind the old football "quarterback controversy" adage "if you have two quarterbacks you have none."
old salt

Post by old salt »

Brutal self-assessment. No killer instinct. Underperforming.
Navy dominated all the stats except the one that mattered.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

old salt wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:12 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:54 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:23 pm
youthathletics wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:41 pm
10stone5 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:58 pmOh geez !
You got that right...what a fugg'in stinker that was. One assist, w/no 10, 24, 28, or 29 in the box score. Might be 29's first game without a point.

47 shots by Navy and 22 saves by Jaspers...solid day by keeper. Although I am wondering if pipes are saves?
GB's: Navy 35 to 22 and only 6 goals.....that might be a record for worse score with that many possessions.

Gonna be one helluva tough week...strap up fellas.
Did Navy have at least a few pipes?
might have been more than a few.
Several pipes. Manhattan played like Navy used to (under Richie). Stallball. Minimize possessions, extend possession time, pulled back D, few slides, keep the inside locked down, force long, outside shots which your hot goalie gobbles up.

Last season, #28 & #29 both scored a few sweet goals shooting with their off hands, but those shots don't have the velocity from long range to beat a goalie who's seeing the ball. Better to shoot with the off hand when cutting close-in, hitting open portion of net, rather than always going for an upper corner. They're not crank shots.

3 of Manhattan's 6 goals came when a Navy o-middie was forced to play D. 2 when a pole slid to help, opening another shooter & 1 when the o-middie whiffed on the shooter.

#6 entered thru the box in the MF2 rotation. When forced to play D, he did well. Inverting as a part time MF2 change of pace should continue to create openings for him.

I hope the 2 goalie experiment is over.

Manhattan played a smart game. Their key players came through in the 2nd half. They deserved to win.
Sorry OS, but all that is all excuses....

~Stall ball? Sure, but we DID have close to 2x more in the possession game.

~Few Slides? Yep, we know what that means don't we....we are not beating out man. So how do you 'adjust' to that?....first you 'have to' adjust which it did not look like we did...you throw in more motion, picks, screens, skip passes (do not recall seeing any).

~ 3 of Manhattan's 6 goals came when a Navy o-middie was forced to play D - And why does this happen?....b/c our ride sucks, our attackman do not have a killer instinct to get the friggen ball back, (#10) is the only one that consistently gives legit effort and hunts the ball. A bad shot is a turnover, and should not be rewarded with a soft a$$ ride.

~ I hope the 2 goalie experiment is over. - Easy to say after a loss, and for the reason you noted above, #1 was hung out to dry.

~ Manhattan played a smart game - They sure did.

Bad games happen...I get it, seen it, been through it. But something does not sit well with me and I have yet to put my finger on it. I have an unsettled feeling that the staff can not figure the correct combination of offensive players, coupled with the chemistry and base offense they are trying to build.

As I mentioned awhile ago here on this board, no MLAX offensive player has ever had the same O-Coordinator for their 4 years since RS was hired...that is a problem that translates and is reflective on the field.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
PALax11

Post by PALax11 »

youthathletics wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:46 am A bad shot is a turnover, and should not be rewarded with a soft a$$ ride.
The offense sure has work to do. 24 can consistently get a step above GLE but needs to feed more until he figures out how to hit the cage. Too many bad shots, bad misses, slow balls to justify. All the midfielders have cannons. He should be keeping his head up and looking topside for the easy step down. Maybe get rid of the jump shot/dive for a bit, stay on your feet and get some leverage. Seems like 28 has disappeared watching 29 & 24 play hero ball. They are the best creators but need to spin the ball and get others involved to keep defenses honest. Looking forward to better balance in the weeks to come.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Navy's schedule is probably not going to realistically result in an at large so this game is ultimately just practice. Hopefully they'll get better from it and make a run at the PL.
laxpere

Post by laxpere »

old salt wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:04 am Brutal self-assessment. No killer instinct. Underperforming.
Navy dominated all the stats except the one that mattered.
Brutal is right. No killer instinct? Captains looked very uncomfortable up there saying that but trying to put my finger on why.
Coach was assuming...what? Who makes that excuse at this level? If Coach assumed that they would win easily, did the team? Very disappointing loss, comparable to the loss to MSM in the opener last year.
Yeah, Manhattan goalie was exceptional, but so was Navy goalie in first half. Both goalies' save percentages were over 70% going into half time and Navy was up by three at 4-1. Plus, second midfield added up some points. It was looking really good when they were up by four at eight minutes into the third.
So where did it go south? It was a team loss, but it's hard to ignore that Navy second half save percentage dropped to 44% with no big changes on defense, other than two new D-middies in the rotation and O-middies playing some defense. Repeat of Hofstra game where there was huge difference in first half save percentage versa second - over 65% dropped to under 50% in both games. Interesting that Hofstra and Manhattan each had five goal runs post half time.
Splitting time at goalie has been a tough decision two weeks in a row, but I would argue the experiment should have ended after the close call last week. Ryan has clearly earned the starting position based on his numbers and Coach should commit to the battle tested goalie at this point. Plus, he's a Firstie with a full season of experience who is playing well versus a Plebe with only four half games under his belt who appears to be struggling.
It also looked like the offense began to play scared and player rotation/chemistry seemed off as the game progressed. As someone said, too much hero ball and star watching. There were some decent opportunities but shots were off the mark - some hit pipe and others were way off. Towards the end, there were a couple of very painful turnovers too. Hard to blame inexperience as most first line players logged significant minutes last year. New OC also shouldn't make a difference. Really sad to see Skalniak's point streak end this deep in his career and so soon after the "T-watch" hype.
Trying to keep the "positivity" but really hard to sugar coat the one that really slipped away after a tight one last week. Now it all depends on running the PL tourney against BU, Lehigh, Army and a surprisingly strong Loyola. Those games are the tough ones, but Colgate should have won last year and will be looking to avenge.
Here's to righting the Ship and "finding" the killer instinct well before Lehigh.
“The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall.” Vince Lombardi
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are...." John Wooden
TheGoat1999

Post by TheGoat1999 »

Amplo was probably looking over his shoulder for CHET on Saturday.

Like I have said in my previous post. Amplo is way out of his league @ Navy. It takes a special coach/person to earn the full confidence of these players.

Amplo was completely out coached by the MH Coach. MH players love that Coach, you could see it !

Congrats to Coach O’s- Defense. 8 and 33 are playing a very high level of lacrosse. 19 is in All American Form, Clearly the #1 , plus he’s a Senior !! Look , How long SR sat before becoming an AA. # 1 is good and will be a great keeper, he just needs more time.

Things that Amplo should have addressed immediately during the game:
19 stays after the first half, red hot
24 needs to sit down if he going to play hero ball, complete High School mentality that is reinforced by Amplo
6 needs more 1 v 1 Reps
Slow the game down when you are loosing control due to Hero ball , get into some sets and play with poise
Give the 2nd and 3rd Midfield a chance (12,32,6, 64 did their part when they played)

Things Amplo needs to do immediately:
Compete every day at practice
24 needs to SIT if he plays hero ball,
Play some different kids
Try to connect with your players
Stop the hero ball
Treat every game like it’s your last
Change your body language
Give Phipps the ability to sit the Hero's if needed

You must earn their trust
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

TheGoat1999 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:22 pm Amplo was probably looking over his shoulder for CHET on Saturday.

Like I have said in my previous post. Amplo is way out of his league @ Navy. It takes a special coach/person to earn the full confidence of these players.

Amplo was completely out coached by the MH Coach. MH players love that Coach, you could see it !

Congrats to Coach O’s- Defense. 8 and 33 are playing a very high level of lacrosse. 19 is in All American Form, Clearly the #1 , plus he’s a Senior !! Look , How long SR sat before becoming an AA. # 1 is good and will be a great keeper, he just needs more time.

Things that Amplo should have addressed immediately during the game:
19 stays after the first half, red hot
24 needs to sit down if he going to play hero ball, complete High School mentality that is reinforced by Amplo
6 needs more 1 v 1 Reps
Slow the game down when you are loosing control due to Hero ball , get into some sets and play with poise
Give the 2nd and 3rd Midfield a chance (12,32,6, 64 did their part when they played)

Things Amplo needs to do immediately:
Compete every day at practice
24 needs to SIT if he plays hero ball,
Play some different kids
Try to connect with your players
Stop the hero ball
Treat every game like it’s your last
Change your body language
Give Phipps the ability to sit the Hero's if needed

You must earn their trust
That is fine to believe that about Amplo. However, and no pressure at all, who are some of the people you would like to see at Navy as coach? JL Reppert was actually my first choice to replace Sowell. Would you take him now, or would you prefer he show some improvement at Holy Cross first?
ExLax

Post by ExLax »

Good grief, the HC churn continues for Annapolis. What a bunch of wankers for yesteryear - Coach Amplo has the conn and you should at least give him the privilege of steering his direction forward. What a clown act - next is next, wanting RM to return?

&@#%^$# Collection and Holding Tank Glad-handjob-chuk
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

RM was a perfect coach for USNA. He lost the support of older wealthy alums who thought they could return to the glory days,
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

ExLax wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:35 pm Good grief, the HC churn continues for Annapolis. What a bunch of wankers for yesteryear - Coach Amplo has the conn and you should at least give him the privilege of steering his direction forward. What a clown act - next is next, wanting RM to return?

Don’t get me wrong. I still have lots of faith in Amplo. But I was asking someone who doesn’t a question about who he would like to see. Also, RM served his time. It was time for a change.
old salt

Post by old salt »

ExLax wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:35 pm Good grief, the HC churn continues for Annapolis. What a bunch of wankers for yesteryear - Coach Amplo has the conn and you should at least give him the privilege of steering his direction forward. What a clown act - next is next, wanting RM to return?

:roll: ...who's asking for RM to return ? We have one poster who's been critical of Amplo from the start.

The last time Navy had a multiple goalie situation was 2009. A fr & sr split starts the 1st 9 games, then a different sr. came off the bench & lead the Mids to a N*, PLT champ & AQ in the remaining 7 games. He was the obvious team favorite & the team played better in front of him. That fr went on to a stellar following 3 years as a starter. Ryan & Daly have both played better than those first 2 did in '09, but there are similarities to the effect the uncertainty a 2 goalie situation can have on team "chemistry".
old salt

Post by old salt »

The goalie rotation is officially over.
From Coach Amp's weekly email update:

Our goalie play was solid. Pat Ryan has established himself as the full-time starter.
Dan Daly earned some valuable game experience and remains ready to support Pat.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Cold comfort,

but watch the 1st half of the Manhattan Princeton game,
same game plan as the Manhattan Navy game.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

10stone5 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:05 pm Cold comfort,

yep. I sure the Navy staff felt a whole lot better after last night. 8-)
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Do you think that Manhattan may be just a tad better than people think? Or at least thought before the Princeton game?
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

gymman1031 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:58 pm Do you think that Manhattan may be just a tad better than people think? Or at least thought before the Princeton game?
Seems that way.
lorin

Post by lorin »

rolldodge wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:04 pm
gymman1031 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:58 pm Do you think that Manhattan may be just a tad better than people think? Or at least thought before the Princeton game?
Seems that way.
OMG really
gymman1031

Post by gymman1031 »

Of to High Point. Hopefully, the revenge factor due to last year plays a big part for Navy.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

youthathletics wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:11 pm
10stone5 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:05 pm Cold comfort,

yep. I sure the Navy staff felt a whole lot better after last night. 8-)

Haha! Princeton was down 3-0 and then outscored Manhattan 14-6...Love the Navy forum!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”