Syracuse 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
pcowlax

Re: Syracuse 2023

Post by pcowlax »

How about the over/under on Doc’s bedtime?
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

pcowlax wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:43 am How about the over/under on Doc’s bedtime?
PST or EST?
“I wish you would!”
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

I watched most of the Albany and Holy Cross games. There was definite improvement in certain facets over the Vermont game. Also, Vermont has since beaten Boston U, who won the Patriot League tournament last season, so maybe Vermont is pretty good.

I really like what I'm seeing on Clears from Syracuse since the Vermont game. They get the ball to a midfielder quickly on saves and turnovers, which there have been a lot of, and usually another midfielder is further upfield and gets the next pass pretty easily, kind of like a hockey headman pass. I usually don't pay much attention to clears besides seeing who makes good decisions and can handle the ball. Some teams might get their SSDMs off, and get offensive midfielders on before the ball gets cleared. It probably takes them longer to clear, but once they've cleared, they can play offense right away. The way SU is doing it probably means the ball gets cleared faster, but then the SSDMs have to sub off which takes some time. Neither Albany or HC were able to set up much of a ride. We'll see how things go against some teams that ride harder.

Against HC Trujillo played some SSDM, which is good to see, since Aviles has been out. SU needs some depth there, or Murphy, Rosa and Rice will get worn down. I'd love to see another guy get some runs. There are a lot of poles getting no playing time. Maybe someone like Jordan Vincent who has some box experience (played with a short stick).

An interesting thing I saw a few times was Nick Caccamo sliding to Landon Clary's man. It's kinda rare to slide to the guy being covered by the #1 cover defender, but SU was able to do it well and Clary recovered well, and Caccamo is a good cover guy, so there isn't a big problem with it. Caccamo's slides were timed really well.

SU's offense seemed to move the ball better than during the Vermont game. It seems like the faster the ball moves, the more it will benefit Hiltz and Thomson (and everyone really), who can do really good things with the ball when given just a bit of time.

Who knew Michael Leo was so fast? I like when he comes out of the box and gets the ball and immediately dodges down the alley/high wing when he's on Hiltz's side. It's hard for the defender to keep up with him.

Griffin Cook is playing well. It's really nice to see. He's been the subject of a lot of criticism on the syracuse"fan".com forums.

This team looks like a well-coached team, from slides, clears, offensive ball movement and spacing.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:36 am
pcowlax wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:43 am How about the over/under on Doc’s bedtime?
PST or EST?
Y’all assuming that I sleep.

Nifty goal by Spallina against the Terps, but probably not enough today.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
DMac

Post by DMac »

Didn't see the game of course cuz I don't have B1G minus. Listened to some early, Md was hammering Cuse right out of the gate, winning the face offs and going to the cage, went up 3-0 (pretty sure) early. Ultimately am not completely disappointed with a 15-12 final. Decent rebound by the young team all things considered, particularly inasmuch as Md went 24 of 31 on face offs. Geezuz H!!! A good experience for the team.
33 SOG for Md, 21 for Cuse.
Mark with 18 saves...wow.
joewillie78

Post by joewillie78 »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:38 pm Didn't see the game of course cuz I don't have B1G minus. Listened to some early, Md was hammering Cuse right out of the gate, winning the face offs and going to the cage, went up 3-0 (pretty sure) early. Ultimately am not completely disappointed with a 15-12 final. Decent rebound by the young team all things considered, particularly inasmuch as Md went 24 of 31 on face offs. Geezuz H!!! A good experience for the team.
Cuse is for real and when all these great recruits mesh and play with each other for a full season, they will get even better. Scary team going forward.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
DMac

Post by DMac »

Don't disagree, the potential certainly appears to be there.
Nice win for the Red today, watched a good part of that one,
was surprised when UA was closing the gap but Cornell proved
to be too much. Good looking team...first game, they'll gel more
with a few games under their belt too.
masondixonlax

Post by masondixonlax »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:45 pm
DMac wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:38 pm Didn't see the game of course cuz I don't have B1G minus. Listened to some early, Md was hammering Cuse right out of the gate, winning the face offs and going to the cage, went up 3-0 (pretty sure) early. Ultimately am not completely disappointed with a 15-12 final. Decent rebound by the young team all things considered, particularly inasmuch as Md went 24 of 31 on face offs. Geezuz H!!! A good experience for the team.
Cuse is for real and when all these great recruits mesh and play with each other for a full season, they will get even better. Scary team going forward.
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
+1 they are ahead of schedule.
CU77

Post by CU77 »

Too bad we won't have a regular-season Orange-Red match this year. I hear that's on GG.
Finster

Post by Finster »

This kid Will Mark is special.

Forget his lacrosse. He handles himself as maturely as anyone twice his age. I just loved his composure and comments in the post game presser. He’s going places in life. His parents raised a great kid.

Just watched the replay. Without Mark standing on his head, this game would have been far different, tgat is we would have lost by much more. I’m not sure if there’s any great dilemma here: when Weirman gets 75%, and their FO team scoops the ground balls he doesn’t get, it’s going to be a tough day. I think Maryland had a 45-25 GB advantage from what Gary said.

Incidentally, Gary Gait is similarly very impressive as a man. I’ll again skip the lacrosse part: Gary is a good leader of young people. Just a master class on handling a presser after a tough day at the office.
lorin

Post by lorin »

joewillie78 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:45 pm
GOBIGRED
Joewillie78
Give me a break with their soft schedule.
AllSportsCafe

Post by AllSportsCafe »

Will Mark was lucky/unlucky to get shelled every game at LIU, he is unbelievable and was a huge reason for Syracuse being even close in that game. He will be exciting to watch for the rest of the year and I hope he is a first team AA.
DMac

Post by DMac »

He's not only an outstanding GK, he's a pretty impressive person too.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SMjtrJEHEo&t=309s
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Mark is an exceptional goalie. Huge difference in net this year for Cuse.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

Will Aviles be back? Cuse will need him, especially on wing/gbs... possessions.
DMac

Post by DMac »

FYI: Am figuring I'm not the only one who didn't know this, you can buy tickets via the phone for Cuse games (in the Dome), tickets for mlax games are $20 at the booth, $15 if you buy in advance. $15 for wlax, $10 if you buy in advance. Call the Dome, 315-443-2121, pay for your ticket with a card and they'll text you your ticket. I've done this and it's pretty simple.
Cno3putts

Post by Cno3putts »

Think Will Mark spent part of a season at Salisbury Prep. Not sure if he played
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Proctor Academy for a PG year,

he’s a NorCal kid from Danville, played at Monte Vista a solid
NorCal program.

here’s some good background,

https://dailyorange.com/2023/02/lacross ... will-mark/
Cno3putts

Post by Cno3putts »

Yes he was at Salisbury prep.
McNaney's back up
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Here’s the team I remember watching, Monte Vista CA went
undefeated and won the CA state title.

https://www.marinij.com/2016/05/07/mont ... bal-title/

There was some definite DI talent on that Monte Vista team
including Will Mark, Devin Spencer UMass, Wiley Bonham Loyola,
Joe Peterson Rutgers.

Devin Spencer was the best player on the field that day, the
CA state title game.

Caden Kol played a year or two later, at De La Salle CA for
Johnny Christmas UVA,

looks like Kol is seeing the field this year.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”