Ron Desantis (The Desantis Doctrine)

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
a fan

Re: Ron Desantis (The Desantis Doctrine)

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:04 pm
a fan wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:56 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:17 pm Great. I look forward to you providing examples of the cultural stuff that DeSantis is leaving in the Math books.
I hope it's in Spanish, rather than French. uno, dos, tres...I hope it's at least menu oriented.
Don't have to. There's a State requirement that all books and curriculum include multicultural representation.

But if you REAllY want me to? I'll get you cites of FL-DeSantis approved math books that have cultural stuff in them.

But then you have to tell me that you do NOT agree with Desantis' law surrounding textbooks, thus ending the conversation, and allowing us to move on with common understanding.

Deal?
Sure. Let's see 'em. We can then judge how agenda driven each one is, or how benignly multi-cultural it is. Intended to unite or divide.
Then opine on whether it should instead be taught in a social studies class where it can be discussed in depth, without distracting from a math lesson.
You said previously to stick to the basics. No need to inject culture. Have you changed your mind?
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:41 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:17 pm Great. I look forward to you providing examples of the cultural stuff that DeSantis is leaving in the Math books.
I hope it's in Spanish, rather than French. uno, dos, tres...I hope it's at least menu oriented.
Don't have to. There's a State requirement that all books and curriculum include multicultural representation.

But if you REAllY want me to? I'll get you cites of FL-DeSantis approved math books that have cultural stuff in them.

But then you have to tell me that you do NOT agree with Desantis' law surrounding textbooks, thus ending the conversation, and allowing us to move on with common understanding.

Deal?
Sure. Let's see 'em. We can then judge how agenda driven each one is, or how benignly multi-cultural it is. Intended to unite or divide.
Then opine on whether it should instead be taught in a social studies class where it can be discussed in depth, without distracting from a math lesson.
You said previously to stick to the basics. No need to inject culture. Have you changed your mind?
I don't care, so long as it's not agenda driven & doesn't distract from the math problem or the subject matter.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:47 pm

Deal?
I don't care, so long as it's not agenda driven & doesn't distract from the math problem or the subject matter.
Great. Then I understand your view, and we can move on. Thanks!
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/18/us/palm- ... index.html

"Indoctrination"....notice the proliferation of that term.... Old Soldier uses it all the time.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:56 pm https://www.cnn.com/2023/02/18/us/palm- ... index.html

"Indoctrination"....notice the proliferation of that term.... Old Soldier uses it all the time.
All this stuff from that cohort/sources is projection of the things they actively do into others as the perpetrators. Anyone thoughtful would run counter to every allegation spewed out by that cohort that controls the distribution of information and related words/talking points.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

I had to laugh at the dumpsters new nickname for RD. He now refers to him as " meatball". The former lovebirds are having a spat.
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 5:38 am I had to laugh at the dumpsters new nickname for RD. He now refers to him as " meatball". The former lovebirds are having a spat.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3KmMvfdidvQ
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

old salt wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:47 pm
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:55 am Old foagies (and those with little interest in exploring beyond their limited experiences) have some difficulty appreciating the beneficial parts of various technological tools that enable students to spend much less time on rote memorization and much more time on actually understanding these tools and how to apply them to tougher and tougher problems, with greater comprehension of nuance.
Do students need to still learn multiplication tables for 1-12 ?
The square/sq root of 1-12 ?
Lecture me on human performance in cockpit design.
second question, no.
I don't recall memorizing it either.
I do recall comprehending the concept.

cockpit design???
Are you going to lecture me? ;)

Are you suggesting that cockpit design is going to be worse, given the greater sophistication of educational expectations?
I can tell you that my son understood aerodynamic design way, way earlier than I could have imagined even considering the topic.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

a fan wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:51 pm
old salt wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:47 pm

Deal?
Great. Then I understand your view, and we can move on. Thanks!
He just wants the "agenda" to confirm his own biases, "and not distract from the math problem or the subject matter"

God forbid the math problem causes kids to get excited about what math can reveal about the world around them.

"benignly multicultural"...Jim Crow benign...MAGA
Last edited by MDlaxfan76 on Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andersen

Post by Andersen »

I had to laugh at the dumpsters new nickname for RD. He now refers to him as " meatball". The former lovebirds are having a spat.
Meatball is your idea of a funny, clever and original nickname? Really?
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Andersen wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:43 am
Meatball is your idea of a funny, clever and original nickname? Really?
I think he meant to use Archie Bunker's term that he called his son in law... MEATHEAD. Dead from the neck up. At what point did I ever say it was funny, clever or original for that matter? I do think it was a stupid name for trump to use, nothing unusual for the dumpster IMO
I use to be a people person until people ruined that for me.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

LOL, I think that the d's will fund his campaign during the 2024 primaries!

Opinion DeSantis’s flop on foreign affairs comes as no surprise

By Jennifer Rubin

February 22, 2023 at 7:45 a.m. EST

The idea of Florida Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis running for president has sounded swell to many Republicans desperate to find an alternative to defeated former president Donald Trump. The reality, as they are discovering, might be sobering and deflating.

In the space of just a few days, DeSantis demonstrated his limitations when his state record comes under scrutiny and when he is compelled to opine on foreign policy.

This week, he began a national tour in New York City, presumably to tout his record on crime. In the minds of MAGA Republicans, crime is about not just public safety but also elites’ irresponsibility and the culture wars. DeSantis blamed New York’s bail laws “on Democrats trying to ‘out-woke’ each other,” as the New York Daily News reported. It’s far from clear what he means in this context by “out-woke” — a slur usually deployed to intimate that Democrats are catering to minorities and ignoring Whites’ legitimate concerns.

Regardless, any comparison between Florida and New York does not serve DeSantis well. In 2020, the homicide rate in Florida was 5.9 murders per 100,000 people, and the violent crime rate was 384 per 100,000, according to the Daily Beast, citing the FBI’s Uniform Crime Report. New York, meanwhile, had 4.2 homicides per 100,000 people and a violent crime rate of 364 per 100,000 people. New York City itself had a homicide rate of 5.6 per 100,000, slightly below the national average of 6.5 and half Miami’s rate of 12.8.

Meanwhile, DeSantis has wasted police resources on his election-crimes unit, whose cases have led to three dismissals and serious questions about whether other cases will ever come to trial.

Predictably, Eric Adams, New York’s law-and-order mayor, blasted DeSantis. “Welcome to NYC, @GovRonDeSantis, a place where we don’t ban books, discriminate against our LGBTQ+ neighbors, use asylum seekers as props, or let the government stand between a woman and health care,” he tweeted.

DeSantis’s crime foray, however, was not his worst moment on tour. At the moment President Biden was getting plaudits for venturing into a war-torn country to stand with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, DeSantis pandered to pro-Russian apologists.

“The fear of Russia going into NATO countries and all that and steamrolling, you know, that has not even come close to happening,” he said in an interview, neglecting to mention that it hasn’t happened because of the heroic efforts of Ukrainians and the alliance Biden stitched together. DeSantis went on, saying of Russia: “I think they’ve shown themselves to be a third-rate military power.” The third-rate power nevertheless has committed countless atrocities and devastated the economy and landscape of Ukraine.

DeSantis then reverted to an America First talking point about Biden: “He’s very concerned about those borders halfway around the world. He’s not done anything to secure our own border here at home.” In over his head, he muddled along: “And I don’t think it’s in our interest to be getting into proxy war with China, getting involved over things like the borderlands or over Crimea.”

Next he declared, “I think it would behoove them to identify what is the strategic objective that they’re trying to achieve, but just saying it’s an open-ended blank check, that is not acceptable.” The objective is a free and independent Ukraine without Russian troops, obviously.

Perhaps Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) — who told the Munich Security Conference that “Republican leaders are committed to a strong transatlantic alliance” and that “America’s own core national interests are at stake” — could help the governor understand.

DeSantis might be utterly uninformed on foreign policy, or he might be pandering to the MAGA base. Regardless, his tone-deaf, reflexive know-nothingism should set off alarms for Republicans. If they want to restore the party’s image as tough on national security and find someone to make Biden look feeble, they might want to look elsewhere.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

CU88 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:06 pm LOL, I think that the d's will fund his campaign during the 2024 primaries!

By Jennifer Rubin

The idea of Florida Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis running for president has sounded swell to many Republicans desperate to find an alternative to defeated former president Donald Trump. The reality, as they are discovering, might be sobering and deflating.

In the space of just a few days, DeSantis demonstrated his limitations when his state record comes under scrutiny and when he is compelled to opine on foreign policy.

This week, he began a national tour in New York City, presumably to tout his record on crime. In the minds of MAGA Republicans, crime is about not just public safety but also elites’ irresponsibility and the culture wars. DeSantis blamed New York’s bail laws “on Democrats trying to ‘out-woke’ each other,” as the New York Daily News reported. It’s far from clear what he means in this context by “out-woke” — a slur usually deployed to intimate that Democrats are catering to minorities and ignoring Whites’ legitimate concerns.

Regardless, any comparison between Florida and New York does not serve DeSantis well. In 2020, the homicide rate in Florida was 5.9 murders per 100,000 people, and the violent crime rate was 384 per 100,000, according to the Daily Beast, citing the FBI’s Uniform Crime Report. New York, meanwhile, had 4.2 homicides per 100,000 people and a violent crime rate of 364 per 100,000 people. New York City itself had a homicide rate of 5.6 per 100,000, slightly below the national average of 6.5 and half Miami’s rate of 12.8.

Meanwhile, DeSantis has wasted police resources on his election-crimes unit, whose cases have led to three dismissals and serious questions about whether other cases will ever come to trial.

Predictably, Eric Adams, New York’s law-and-order mayor, blasted DeSantis. “Welcome to NYC, @GovRonDeSantis, a place where we don’t ban books, discriminate against our LGBTQ+ neighbors, use asylum seekers as props, or let the government stand between a woman and health care,” he tweeted.

DeSantis’s crime foray, however, was not his worst moment on tour. At the moment President Biden was getting plaudits for venturing into a war-torn country to stand with Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky, DeSantis pandered to pro-Russian apologists.

“The fear of Russia going into NATO countries and all that and steamrolling, you know, that has not even come close to happening,” he said in an interview, neglecting to mention that it hasn’t happened because of the heroic efforts of Ukrainians and the alliance Biden stitched together. DeSantis went on, saying of Russia: “I think they’ve shown themselves to be a third-rate military power.” The third-rate power nevertheless has committed countless atrocities and devastated the economy and landscape of Ukraine.

DeSantis then reverted to an America First talking point about Biden: “He’s very concerned about those borders halfway around the world. He’s not done anything to secure our own border here at home.” In over his head, he muddled along: “And I don’t think it’s in our interest to be getting into proxy war with China, getting involved over things like the borderlands or over Crimea.”

Next he declared, “I think it would behoove them to identify what is the strategic objective that they’re trying to achieve, but just saying it’s an open-ended blank check, that is not acceptable.” The objective is a free and independent Ukraine without Russian troops, obviously.

Perhaps Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) — who told the Munich Security Conference that “Republican leaders are committed to a strong transatlantic alliance” and that “America’s own core national interests are at stake” — could help the governor understand.

DeSantis might be utterly uninformed on foreign policy, or he might be pandering to the MAGA base. Regardless, his tone-deaf, reflexive know-nothingism should set off alarms for Republicans. If they want to restore the party’s image as tough on national security and find someone to make Biden look feeble, they might want to look elsewhere.
... DeSanctimonious is in a panic. He is not being as well received as necessary to win in 2024. He is playing the Trump game, got to be in the public eye every second of every day. Attenion whore-itis.
Image STAND AGAINST FASCISM
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

CU88 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:06 pm LOL, I think that the d's will fund his campaign during the 2024 primaries!

By Jennifer Rubin

Adams is a bit of a goofball but love his post.
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

DeSantis revoking Disney special tax status turns out to be republiCON bullsh*t, as predicted. New bill reauthorizing the tax status being passed by the state legislature. :lol: :lol:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:58 pm DeSantis revoking Disney special tax status turns out to be republiCON bullsh*t, as predicted. New bill reauthorizing the tax status being passed by the state legislature. :lol: :lol:
Let's just hope they never, ever change the It's A Small World Ride...

*At least not until my kids are out of my household and I can ride it alone on psychadelics...
jhu72

Post by jhu72 »

For those who don't think DeSanctimonious is a fascist. He is trying to keep those who disagree with him from using space in State buildings, available to those who do agree with him. He is disallowing lobbying based on the entity's political support of himself.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Florida still hasn’t passed Ron’s Law, allowing Meatballhead to run without resigning, right?
a fan

Post by a fan »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:58 pm DeSantis revoking Disney special tax status turns out to be republiCON bullsh*t, as predicted. New bill reauthorizing the tax status being passed by the state legislature. :lol: :lol:
So F'ing stupid. Why would ANYONE want this guy in power, when he attacks businesses that "don't agree with him" in full view of the world?

How stupid are we that we'd tolerate Putin-like behavior like this?

Return to “POLITICS”