January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Typical Lax Dad

Re: January 6, 2021: Insurrection or “normal tourist” visitation?

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:29 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:00 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:51 am When former Pres tRump lays dying, think he will go with dignity and near universal respect and admiration, like Jimmy Carter, or will he whinge and rail 'til the end?

Think tRump, the "genius" would have had the stones to go to Three Mile Island during a meltdown? Is he known for his post-Presidential faith and good works? I'm not a dog follower, but Jimmy practices his faith the way his "Christ" instructed (per the "comic" book). See any Access Hollywodd tapes of Jimmy boasting about sexual assault? What the fcuk has come over this country when people cleave to clowns like tRump?

Jimmy Carter has provided an example of how Americans should comport themselves. Pity more don't emulate him. Too bad Rayguns abandoned the climate awareness Jimmy started. We might have had a fighting chance.

Godspeed, Jimmy.

+1. I was 18 years old and a wannabe Democrat in 1976. Jimmy Carter was my man. A peanut farmer and WW2 naval officer. Jimmy Carter was in way over his head from day #1. The events that followed him during his 4 years as POTUS proved one thing. He worked diligently in the background to depose the Shah of Iran. Who was that guy who took his place??? The same guy who gave the thumbs up to the hostage crisis. The same crisis that gave us the humiliating debacle at desert one. I bet most of you on this forum never witnessed the Iranians desecrating the bodies of those Americans. It ain't popular reading on the internet. I was a young PFC at my unit at Ft Bragg when those pictures were published. Smiling and happy Iranian military folks poking at the charred bodies of our soldiers that were killed at desert one. I can't blame Jimmy Carter for that debacle. I can hold him responsible for the regime change he encouraged that was responsible for the events that have occured over the last decades. He hated the Shaw but paved the way for the Ayatollah Khomeini to take power in Iran. :roll: :roll:
Started a little earlier than that. He was trying to "right" the wrongs of the CIA and BP in 1953. There's a pretty good reason for the Iranians to hate the US. We brought back the Shah and his Savak. Why? Because the British could tolerate the effrontery of a democratically admin seeking market rates for national resources.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Mosaddegh

"Mohammad Mosaddegh[a] (Persian: محمد مصدق, IPA: [mohæmˈmæd(-e) mosædˈdeɢ] (listen); 16 June 1882 – 5 March 1967) was an Iranian politician, author, and lawyer who served as the 35th Prime Minister of Iran from 1951 to 1953, after appointment by the 16th Majlis.[4][5] He was a member of the Iranian parliament from 1923, and served through a contentious 1952 election into the 17th Iranian Majlis,[6] until his government was overthrown in the 1953 Iranian coup d'état aided by the intelligence agencies of the United Kingdom (MI6) and the United States (CIA), led by Kermit Roosevelt Jr.[7][8] His National Front was suppressed from the 1954 election.[9]

Before its removal from power, his administration introduced a range of social and political measures such as social security, land reforms and higher taxes including the introduction of taxation on the rent of land. His government's most significant policy was the nationalization of the Iranian oil industry, which had been built by the British on Persian lands since 1913 through the Anglo-Persian Oil Company (APOC/AIOC), later known as British Petroleum (BP).[10]"

Don't want people to fcuking hate you? Stay out of their business. Sort of like we should hate Pootie as he interferes with our internal politics. Of course there is a certain ironic symmetry to him doing the US what it itself does.

My buddy moved here when the Shah fell. His father was a mathematician at Michigan State U. Nasser said he realized American influence was a bit much because there were streets in Tehran named after United States presidents. He said as a kid, he thought it was odd……he also told me that kids in his village would also argue about Muhammad Ali being their cousin.
“I wish you would!”
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:29 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:00 pm
PizzaSnake wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 10:51 am When former Pres tRump lays dying, think he will go with dignity and near universal respect and admiration, like Jimmy Carter, or will he whinge and rail 'til the end?

Think tRump, the "genius" would have had the stones to go to Three Mile Island during a meltdown? Is he known for his post-Presidential faith and good works? I'm not a dog follower, but Jimmy practices his faith the way his "Christ" instructed (per the "comic" book). See any Access Hollywodd tapes of Jimmy boasting about sexual assault? What the fcuk has come over this country when people cleave to clowns like tRump?

Jimmy Carter has provided an example of how Americans should comport themselves. Pity more don't emulate him. Too bad Rayguns abandoned the climate awareness Jimmy started. We might have had a fighting chance.

Godspeed, Jimmy.

+1. I was 18 years old and a wannabe Democrat in 1976. Jimmy Carter was my man. A peanut farmer and WW2 naval officer. Jimmy Carter was in way over his head from day #1. The events that followed him during his 4 years as POTUS proved one thing. He worked diligently in the background to depose the Shah of Iran. Who was that guy who took his place??? The same guy who gave the thumbs up to the hostage crisis. The same crisis that gave us the humiliating debacle at desert one. I bet most of you on this forum never witnessed the Iranians desecrating the bodies of those Americans. It ain't popular reading on the internet. I was a young PFC at my unit at Ft Bragg when those pictures were published. Smiling and happy Iranian military folks poking at the charred bodies of our soldiers that were killed at desert one. I can't blame Jimmy Carter for that debacle. I can hold him responsible for the regime change he encouraged that was responsible for the events that have occured over the last decades. He hated the Shaw but paved the way for the Ayatollah Khomeini to take power in Iran. :roll: :roll:
Started a little earlier than that. He was trying to "right" the wrongs of the CIA and BP in 1953. There's a pretty good reason for the Iranians to hate the US. We brought back the Shah and his Savak. Why? Because the British could tolerate the effrontery of a democratically admin seeking market rates for national resources.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mohammad_Mosaddegh

"Mohammad Mosaddegh[a] (Persian: محمد مصدق, IPA: [mohæmˈmæd(-e) mosædˈdeɢ] (listen); 16 June 1882 – 5 March 1967) was an Iranian politician, author, and lawyer who served as the 35th Prime Minister of Iran from 1951 to 1953, after appointment by the 16th Majlis.[4][5] He was a member of the Iranian parliament from 1923, and served through a contentious 1952 election into the 17th Iranian Majlis,[6] until his government was overthrown in the 1953 Iranian coup d'état aided by the intelligence agencies of the United Kingdom (MI6) and the United States (CIA), led by Kermit Roosevelt Jr.[7][8] His National Front was suppressed from the 1954 election.[9]

Before its removal from power, his administration introduced a range of social and political measures such as social security, land reforms and higher taxes including the introduction of taxation on the rent of land. His government's most significant policy was the nationalization of the Iranian oil industry, which had been built by the British on Persian lands since 1913 through the Anglo-Persian Oil Company (APOC/AIOC), later known as British Petroleum (BP).[10]"

Don't want people to fcuking hate you? Stay out of their business. Sort of like we should hate Pootie as he interferes with our internal politics. Of course there is a certain ironic symmetry to him doing the US what it itself does.

Is the regime in charge of Iran today any better than the leadership of the Shah? It is all relative in the big scheme of things. FTR I have nothing but admiration for Jimmy Carter. He is a good and decent man. He does not get a pass for his mishandling of Iran. The irony is his good intentions came back to bite him in the rear end. The Iranian leadership chose an unusual method for showing their gratitude to President Carter. They stormed our embassy and took hostages and paraded them in front of the world. They went out of their way to embarrass and humiliate the United States. The Iranian leaders contributed mightily to ensuring Jimmy Carter would be a one term POTUS. The present day ongoing issues with Iran was President Carters gift to his nation. Sometimes good intentions have a way of coming back to bite you in the ass. I guess the Iranian leadership is having the last laugh after all. FTR, how many US service members have been killed and maimed by IEDs manufactured in Iran? Revenge is truly a dish served up cold.
We don't make mistakes, we have happy accidents.
Bob Ross:
NattyBohChamps04

Post by NattyBohChamps04 »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:35 pm Who mans the DMZ???
old salt

Post by old salt »

cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:05 am IMO police work is not the job of the US military to include the National Guard. What could possibly go wrong? Anybody out there on this forum remember Kent State??? Those were National Guard soldiers that shot those students for no reason. In reality the reason for those shootings was not very complicated. National Guard soldiers are not law enforcement and that is not how they are trained.
Acting SecDef Chris Miller agrees with you. He explains why & details the Jan 6th NG response in his book & in the C-Span interview I linked 2 pages back.
CU88

Post by CU88 »

https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... gas-fired/

How about NG for a photo op?

President Trump on Monday said he would mobilize “all available federal resources, civilian and military” to clamp down on protests across the country, declaring himself the “president of law and order” as police aggressively dispersed protesters gathered outside the White House.

Trump said he was dispatching the military across Washington, D.C., and urged governors nationwide to “dominate” their streets with National Guard deployments. If they refused, he said, he would send troops to American cities.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

NattyBohChamps04 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:55 pm
Killing our own guys?
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

I am going to get a 4.0 in damage.

(Afan jealous he didn’t do this first)
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:27 am
Killing our own guys?
The situation in Guantanamo Bay has exactly ZERO to do with a so called DMZ in the conventional sense. You want a tense DMZ situation you need look no further than the DMZ between North and South Korea. That is where the chit will hit the fan someday. Most American citizens don't know that the only active US Army firebase is called Warrior Base. Grunts from I still believe the 2nd ID operate recon patrols into the no mans land called the DMZ. They have been doing so for decades. Some of my former soldiers in A company 2/508 airborne infantry drew the unlucky short straw and wound up via the need for infantry soldiers in Korea. The game is still played for real and roaming firefights between the Nork army still happen.
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:00 am
Killing our own guys?
The situation in Guantanamo Bay has exactly ZERO to do with a so called DMZ in the conventional sense. You want a tense DMZ situation you need look no further than the DMZ between North and South Korea. That is where the chit will hit the fan someday. Most American citizens don't know that the only active US Army firebase is called Warrior Base. Grunts from I still believe the 2nd ID operate recon patrols into the no mans land called the DMZ. They have been doing so for decades. Some of my former soldiers in A company 2/508 airborne infantry drew the unlucky short straw and wound up via the need for infantry soldiers in Korea. The game is still played for real and roaming firefights between the Nork army still happen.
I mean Korea when I said DMZ because that’s how a bifurcation of this country should be viewed. And those like MTG arguing to split aren’t S Korea…

I’m the movie Nicholson’s character lied and covered up our own killing of an American citizen soldier and only flipped to aggressive attack mode when caught. Sound familiar?
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:08 am
Killing our own guys?
I mean Korea when I said DMZ because that’s how a bifurcation of this country should be viewed. And those like MTG arguing to split aren’t S Korea…

I’m the movie Nicholson’s character lied and covered up our own killing of an American citizen soldier and only flipped to aggressive attack mode when caught. Sound familiar?
The movie was awesome. Nicholsons character only became relevant in that last courtroom scene. The drama used by his character made me sick. The Marines on Guantanamo are not worried about being invaded by the Cuban army. There is no wall that needs to be defended. I'm not sure on any specifics when you ask me if the scenario sounded familiar. I'm interested in knowing what specific event you are referring to. FTR if your regular army or marine you are not a citizen soldier or citizen marine.... You are not a citizen anything. The thought of being a citizen again doesn't begin until your DD 214 form is in your hot little hands.
Bob Ross:
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 7:18 am
cradleandshoot wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:05 am IMO police work is not the job of the US military to include the National Guard. What could possibly go wrong? Anybody out there on this forum remember Kent State??? Those were National Guard soldiers that shot those students for no reason. In reality the reason for those shootings was not very complicated. National Guard soldiers are not law enforcement and that is not how they are trained.
Acting SecDef Chris Miller agrees with you. He explains why & details the Jan 6th NG response in his book & in the C-Span interview I linked 2 pages back.
I agreed with both of you. Until 9/11.

We still have a Dept. of Homeland Security, no? I'm sorry, but the idea of having DC police guard our Federal officials....armed with mace and a handgun...... in Wash. DC is absurd. Might as well have them protect the President if this is such a good idea.

Make a special Fed Dept., if it makes you happy. Part of the Secret Service, I don't care. But folks who are trained both for mobs as well as tactical attacks.

It's PATENTLY obvious after Jan 6th that a small group of men can break into the Capitol while all those Senators are there....and they'd dam* near waltz in.

We have Marines in our embassies, FFS. We don't need at least the same level of protection for our Senate, SCOTUS, etc. ?

If having 20 or so men in these places is too much? Dissolve our Dept. of Homeland Security, because we don't need it. Terrorists are either a threat, or they aren't. Pick one.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

a fan wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:21 pm

We still have a Dept. of Homeland Security, no? I'm sorry, but the idea of having DC police guard our Federal officials....armed with mace and a handgun...... in Wash. DC is absurd. Might as well have them protect the President if this is such a good idea.

Make a special Fed Dept., if it makes you happy. Part of the Secret Service, I don't care. But folks who are trained both for mobs as well as tactical attacks.

It's PATENTLY obvious after Jan 6th that a small group of men can break into the Capitol while all those Senators are there....and they'd dam* near waltz in.

We have Marines in our embassies, FFS. We don't need at least the same level of protection for our Senate, SCOTUS, etc. ?

If having 20 or so men in these places is too much? Dissolve our Dept. of Homeland Security, because we don't need it. Terrorists are either a threat, or they aren't. Pick one.
I believe what you are suggesting could be accomplished by MPs. The vast majority of combat arms soldiers are not and never have been trained in any sort of law enforcement mission especially inside United States territory. In a pinch they could be used to supplement MP units. Within the limits of our mission our primary job and training revolves around killing people and breaking things. Those are not my sentiments but that is what we trained to do. Fire and maneuver training doesn't do you much good in a law enforcement or security mode. The only thing that might come close are your 3 general orders. Those general orders normally are limited to being on guard duty.
Bob Ross:
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:50 am
Killing our own guys?

The movie was awesome. Nicholsons character only became relevant in that last courtroom scene. The drama used by his character made me sick. The Marines on Guantanamo are not worried about being invaded by the Cuban army. There is no wall that needs to be defended. I'm not sure on any specifics when you ask me if the scenario sounded familiar. I'm interested in knowing what specific event you are referring to. FTR if your regular army or marine you are not a citizen soldier or citizen marine.... You are not a citizen anything. The thought of being a citizen again doesn't begin until your DD 214 form is in your hot little hands.
You don't remember the entire point of being in court and the movie plot?????
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

You guys are arguing the roles and responsibilities but it's all pointless becuase we really do know that Trump has no idea what any of this is nor did he care. Nor did most politicians on either side. They want what they want, particuarly anyone pointing fingers at DC police and certainly anyone defending what is flat out treasonous behavior. Trump treated the entire govt and all it's resources as his fiefdom like a fuedal lord and so arguing who should've done what dosen't matter because it didn't matter to him, Ted Cruz, Josh Fist up like he's a black man in the olympics Hawley and other caricutres of decent, upstanding human beings.
Harvard University, out
University of Utah, in

old salt

Post by old salt »

Did you listen to SecDef Miller's interview ? He answers all your concerns.

Jan 6th should have been a NSSE *, but the CPB had to request it & Congressional leadership had to concur.

Within the DC beltway, there's more Police (Fed, city & states) & armed Fed agents than anywhere else in the world,
all tied together via mutual aid protocols.

*https://www.secretservice.gov/protection/events
*https://mpdc.dc.gov/nsse#:~:text=A%20Na ... 20activity.

CERT = SWAT : https://rollcall.com/2021/06/15/capitol ... fications/
https://www.nps.gov/subjects/uspp/speci ... office.htm
https://mpdc.dc.gov/page/emergency-response-team
https://www.fairfaxcounty.gov/budget/si ... ob_213.pdf
https://www.washingtonian.com/2011/05/2 ... roughness/
Last edited by old salt on Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cradleandshoot

Post by cradleandshoot »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 4:40 pm
cradleandshoot wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:50 am
Killing our own guys?

You don't remember the entire point of being in court and the movie plot?????
Of course I do. I'm guessing you remember what a huge risk Tom Cruises character took during his line of questioning. If he didn't break him and get him to blurt out he ordered the code red against Santiago he would have been in deep chit and likely would have been court martialed for insubordination to a superior officer. He took a huge gamble knowing his arrogance would be his downfall.
Bob Ross:
njbill

Post by njbill »

Even better, Nicholson supposedly ad libbed the line.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:22 pm Did you listen to SecDef Miller's interview ? He answers all your concerns.

Jan 6th should have been a NSSE *, but the CPB had to request it & Congressional leadership had to concur.
I did. And you've told me this many times. Is the secret service optional for the POTUS?

No, right?

So....why are we making the protection of our Capitol and the people inside "optional" What idiot thinks that that makes sense?

And how did this "system" work on Jan 6th? Total failure, right?

Fix the system. Don't leave this stuff up to" Congressional leadership".
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:50 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 5:22 pm Did you listen to SecDef Miller's interview ? He answers all your concerns.

I did. And you've told me this many times. Is the secret service optional for the POTUS?

No, right?

So....why are we making the protection of our Capitol and the people inside "optional" What idiot thinks that that makes sense?

In the interview, SecDef Miller explained how the Legislative Branch is seperate from the Exec Branch.
That makes the Exec Branch subordinate re. security of the Capitol Building & grounds. Congress (via the CPB) has to ask.
The Capitol Police CERT is a SWAT team.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:00 pm

No, right?

In the interview, SecDef Miller explained how the Legislative Branch is seperate from the Exec Branch.
That makes the Exec Branch subordinate re. security of the Capitol Building & grounds. Congress (via the CPB) has to ask.
AgainL I understand all that. I'm not blaming you, or anyone else. What I'm telling you is: someone needs to change this, or we're going have problems in the future. The entire world now knows what security resources are in that building. And that ain't good.

Is terrorism gone, or not? If it's gone, dissolve Homeland Security, and give me my tax dollars back. If it's not, a child could see how stupid the security is there.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:07 pm
old salt wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 6:00 pm

No, right?

AgainL I understand all that. I'm not blaming you, or anyone else. What I'm telling you is: someone needs to change this, or we're going have problems in the future. The entire world now knows what security resources are in that building. And that ain't good.

Is terrorism gone, or not? If it's gone, dissolve Homeland Security, and give me my tax dollars back. If it's not, a child could see how stupid the security is there.
Don't need to dissolve anything or create a new agency or bureaucracy., or involve the military.
The Capitol Police leadership just needs to do it's job, or resign if their political hack leaders don't let them do it.

Return to “POLITICS”