Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
OCanada

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by OCanada »

hmmm wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:04 pm
OCanada wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:44 pm In the past Hopkins dropped its glove manufacturer when thumb injuries began to manifest. It was fairly well known.

Given STX has a wide distribution and apparently no others are claiming the concussion issue it makes no statistical sense. Maybe it is a shared element but not causative. Given the two players effected it also seems more of an anomaly to me w perhaps another cause. That said safety is the primary concern so you act on your belief. My concussion occurred in an event that almost cost my eye, involved 66 stitches and had me in a bed for a week. You don’t make bets you cannot afford to lose
There have been other concussion issues this spring beyond those 2. There have been several. The final 2 were the straws that broke the camel's back on that front. The AD felt like they had to do something.
I assume you ate speaking of Hopkins here. Again not statistically significant given the size of the marketplace and more os an anomaly. But without a competing alternstive you have to act
hmmm

Post by hmmm »

OCanada wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:37 pm
OCanada wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:44 pm In the past Hopkins dropped its glove manufacturer when thumb injuries began to manifest. It was fairly well known.

Given STX has a wide distribution and apparently no others are claiming the concussion issue it makes no statistical sense. Maybe it is a shared element but not causative. Given the two players effected it also seems more of an anomaly to me w perhaps another cause. That said safety is the primary concern so you act on your belief. My concussion occurred in an event that almost cost my eye, involved 66 stitches and had me in a bed for a week. You don’t make bets you cannot afford to lose
There have been other concussion issues this spring beyond those 2. There have been several. The final 2 were the straws that broke the camel's back on that front. The AD felt like they had to do something.
I assume you ate speaking of Hopkins here. Again not statistically significant given the size of the marketplace and more os an anomaly. But without a competing alternstive you have to act
Yes, I am speaking specifically of Hopkins. I have no idea what's going on at other schools, and obviously there's no way to definitively associate the helmets with the high number of concussions on the team already. But I don't believe the school felt that doing nothing was an alternative at this point.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

Agreed
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:26 pm
51percentcorn wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:30 am Don't let facts get in th eway of a good story - To blame it on the schedule without any real evidence is what is moronic
Szuluk - injured in practice before the season
McDermott - according to QK I believe injured in practice after one game
Deans - only played in one game
Evans/Maher/English - have not played to date
So only Angelus and Melendez are candidates for the schedule nonsense
The schedule did not cause Marcille's head to hit Mazzone's knee (Or whomever's knee)

So without 4 starters and arguably your two most versatile if not the best offensive players and virtually all of your midfield depth you were bringing a dull spoon to a machete fight and had no hope. WHat I would take issue with the staff over is that only 24 guys played in an 11-2 game and only 2 offensive subs Smith and Phillips - maybe 10 SSDMs is not the way to go - Charboneau? Krampf? Teachout? they should have played if dressed.
Scheduling and injuries aren't excuses. This is Hopkins, you're expected to play and beat the best and have kids ready to step up. We get the same number of scholarships as the acc. One of PM's best comments was when he corrected one of QK's many misses "That this was still petro's team-actually quint these are my players because I'm the coach and I want them here", he's had years now to prowl the country and roster for the necessary talent to win in the coaching and playing ranks. I think he said that either mazzone or melendez was a kid he'd been after since cornell and had a connection to his older brother. In fairness to PM who I've been as critical with as anyone, the defense and goaltending have been hits and jameson is working w/similar guys from the petro regime as crawley is. We also hit this "our front line guys stink do we have anyone else?" thing for years w/Petro on and off over his last 15 years usually in march/april and he'd had years at Homewood to build and re build and re rebuild his roster and program. You play veteran coaches with quality rosters and they are going to rise and expose you.

They should smash the fighting Majeruses (RIP) beat a competitive st joes and then 6 games in, you'd think they could give UVA a fight. I didn't see in the game notes when the last time we beat a top 5 team in february, much less at all, but it's been awhile and there should be confidence that a veteran offense and new coach should warm up with the weather.
I don't hear anyone from the program saying the injuries are an excuse. It is also true that it would be difficult for any team in the country to lose 5 starters, and 8 from the playing rotation, and not suffer a drop off. The "next man up" stuff has its limits.
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

hmmm wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 6:21 pm
OCanada wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 5:37 pm

Yes, I am speaking specifically of Hopkins. I have no idea what's going on at other schools, and obviously there's no way to definitively associate the helmets with the high number of concussions on the team already. But I don't believe the school felt that doing nothing was an alternative at this point.
They made the right call.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:28 pm Not sure anyone — especially the staff and players — were using fatigue as an "excuse." In fact if you listened to the postgame presser it was clear that was not the case. There's a difference between an excuse and an explanation. The fatigue can be a reason they lost without it being used to excuse the fact that they weren't able to overcome it.

Utah is by no means a cupcake, but the normal week of rest against a theoretically more manageable opponent is what this team needs to get healthier and get back on track. The Utes have put up some pretty big goal totals their last two games, but have also allowed a lot on the other end. Might be exactly the type of game environment the offense needs after the dud vs. Loyola. Hopefully they're closer to full strength.

5k attendance at Ridley. Got to hand it to those Loyola students, they bring it every year. Though I did notice a larger-than-usual Hopkins student section as well who made the short trip. I know the school had arranged buses to/from Homewood.
Pretty amazing work here by Quint. He starts the "fatigue" narrative on Tuesday, and then less than a week later, he chastises anyone using fatigue as an excuse. Remember when Lard Ass created a barforama by first vomiting to get everyone else to vomit? Solid work, Quint. Solid.

(Quint, step away from the weights and treadmill...I'm not calling you Lard Ass)
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Wheels wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:28 pm
HopFan16 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:28 pm Not sure anyone — especially the staff and players — were using fatigue as an "excuse." In fact if you listened to the postgame presser it was clear that was not the case. There's a difference between an excuse and an explanation. The fatigue can be a reason they lost without it being used to excuse the fact that they weren't able to overcome it.

Utah is by no means a cupcake, but the normal week of rest against a theoretically more manageable opponent is what this team needs to get healthier and get back on track. The Utes have put up some pretty big goal totals their last two games, but have also allowed a lot on the other end. Might be exactly the type of game environment the offense needs after the dud vs. Loyola. Hopefully they're closer to full strength.

5k attendance at Ridley. Got to hand it to those Loyola students, they bring it every year. Though I did notice a larger-than-usual Hopkins student section as well who made the short trip. I know the school had arranged buses to/from Homewood.
Pretty amazing work here by Quint. He starts the "fatigue" narrative on Tuesday, and then less than a week later, he chastises anyone using fatigue as an excuse. Remember when Lard Ass created a barforama by first vomiting to get everyone else to vomit? Solid work, Quint. Solid.

(Quint, step away from the weights and treadmill...I'm not calling you Lard Ass)
the legs on this have been impressive. no pun intended.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:26 pm Scheduling and injuries aren't excuses. This is Hopkins, you're expected to play and beat the best and have kids ready to step up. We get the same number of scholarships as the acc. One of PM's best comments was when he corrected one of QK's many misses "That this was still petro's team-actually quint these are my players because I'm the coach and I want them here", he's had years now to prowl the country and roster for the necessary talent to win in the coaching and playing ranks. I think he said that either mazzone or melendez was a kid he'd been after since cornell and had a connection to his older brother. In fairness to PM who I've been as critical with as anyone, the defense and goaltending have been hits and jameson is working w/similar guys from the petro regime as crawley is. We also hit this "our front line guys stink do we have anyone else?" thing for years w/Petro on and off over his last 15 years usually in march/april and he'd had years at Homewood to build and re build and re rebuild his roster and program. You play veteran coaches with quality rosters and they are going to rise and expose you.
Nice rah rah stuff but most of it is nonsense. These are people - not robots. They have all the characteritics that make this a wacky world. Talents, strengths, weaknesses, fears etc. etc. For the most part, there's a reason the subs are not starting - they are not as good as the starters. And Hopkins is thin on depth - in reality most teams are. Shellenberger/Cormier and Dickson have 50% of UVA's points - take 2 of them away - take Lasalla off the table - and 2 of the monsters on Defense (I know Harvard scored alot) and I think they may have some issues. And you simply refuse to recognize the circumstances that existed for Milliman to date:
- He had a recruiting class decimated by defections due to Petro's release
- He took the job in the absolute worst possible time in terms of the pandemic - no lacrosse being played at any level anywhere
- Consequently his first "class" is achingly thin and receiving only minor contributions - Callahan doing very well, Kaufman 1 caused turnover, Phillips 3 goals 1 assist
- His second class is seeing immediate contributions from Collison and Brown but everyone else is not getting on the field as normally you have a senior a grad student and a junior at attack and some mix of 3 juniors on the mid-field and 2 seniors and a junior at close
- He has tried transfers whenever he could - some have worked out some have not but with Hopkins you have two issues with transfers - Hopkins academic offerings are not as robust as some of these huge schools and the downward trajectory of the program. If you have one year or two and you are a great player - 7-9, 4-9. 2-4, 8-8. 12-5, 8-7, 8-7 may not be what you are looking for. "Prowling the country" is laughable. No coach at Hopkins can simply snap their fingers and make a great transfer appear.

So if Hopkins returns to health some day and Szuluk/Deans/Angelus/McDermott/Melendez and even Narewski return and play to their capabilites - Hopkins should be a nice team that is competitive.

In terms of the schedule - I am on the record as not being the biggest fan of loading the schedule like this staff has done. If I were the czar of scheduling I would probably cut back 1 game to a 13 game schedule and yes put a couple games on the schedule where I can play everybody. 24/23/22 and 24 (and it would have likely been 23 if Marcille had not hit his head) has a few issues IMO. First the same players playing game after game and they will get worn down. Second, the 26/27/28 players that are standing there scratching themselves may become less engaged. In addition, there's the benefit of having success - see the ball go into the net. It helps. But at the same time this is not the 101st Airborne defending Bastogne or the marines at Khe Sanh. Between the UNC and Loyola games the Hopkins players got 4 nights of sleep in their current own beds, likely access to a S&C coach for recovery, likely nutrition plans and a bus ride of 2.7 miles. Scheduling was not the issue at Loyola - available talent and experience was.

The roster still needs to be fixed - I wonder how many rosters have 11 listed offensive mid-fielders - 13 if you count Bauer and Chauvette and then 10 short sticks. Of the 13 - 4 have not played Teachout/English/Maher/Evans. McDermott and Smith have appeared in 1 game each. Charboneau is another A/M listed that has not played. You likely would not really consider Hawley a midfielder on offense - 0 shots in 4 games - so 8 of your 14 middies or A/Ms have not played/played 1 game or is really not an offensive midfielder. And Chauvette - IMO - struggles at mid-field - he looks to me like optimally he is an off ball attackman but regardless you'll be running those 6 guys to death by the end. You so need some combo of McDermott/Evans and maybe English or Maher to give some minutes if they ever get healthy.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

Think we'll see English sooner rather than later.

You look around the D1 landscape and there really aren't a ton of impact freshmen yet. There's Cuse's group headlined by Spallina, Loyola has college lax's 14th Minicus brother, the Balsamo kid at Duke is making some noise, but after that it gets thin pretty quickly. IL's top 100 list is littered with kids who have not seen game action. I think that says a lot about the important contributions we're already getting from Collison and Brown and speaks to their potential. Collison — we knew he was capable of this but Brown was essentially forced into the situation due to an injury or two but he's making the most of it and looks like he belongs. English and Marquis are up next.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:40 am
jhu06 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:26 pm Scheduling and injuries aren't excuses. This is Hopkins, you're expected to play and beat the best and have kids ready to step up. We get the same number of scholarships as the acc. One of PM's best comments was when he corrected one of QK's many misses "That this was still petro's team-actually quint these are my players because I'm the coach and I want them here", he's had years now to prowl the country and roster for the necessary talent to win in the coaching and playing ranks. I think he said that either mazzone or melendez was a kid he'd been after since cornell and had a connection to his older brother. In fairness to PM who I've been as critical with as anyone, the defense and goaltending have been hits and jameson is working w/similar guys from the petro regime as crawley is. We also hit this "our front line guys stink do we have anyone else?" thing for years w/Petro on and off over his last 15 years usually in march/april and he'd had years at Homewood to build and re build and re rebuild his roster and program. You play veteran coaches with quality rosters and they are going to rise and expose you.
Nice rah rah stuff but most of it is nonsense. These are people - not robots. They have all the characteritics that make this a wacky world. Talents, strengths, weaknesses, fears etc. etc. For the most part, there's a reason the subs are not starting - they are not as good as the starters. And Hopkins is thin on depth - in reality most teams are. Shellenberger/Cormier and Dickson have 50% of UVA's points - take 2 of them away - take Lasalla off the table - and 2 of the monsters on Defense (I know Harvard scored alot) and I think they may have some issues. And you simply refuse to recognize the circumstances that existed for Milliman to date:

PM doesn’t get a pass here. There weren’t many defections in fact he RAN OFF recruits that hadn’t arrived yet. His prerogative but let’s not paint it like the kids gave up on Hopkins because Petro left.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

flalax22 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:01 am
51percentcorn wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 8:40 am

PM doesn’t get a pass here. There weren’t many defections in fact he RAN OFF recruits that hadn’t arrived yet. His prerogative but let’s not paint it like the kids gave up on Hopkins because Petro left.
Can you provide specifics of "ran off"?
Who, where they went, why you say "ran off".

Not that I think you're wrong, but that's a pretty strong statement of fact, and I'm just a bit surprised by the notion that an incoming coach wouldn't have wanted strong recruits to come to Hopkins, unless there was some darn serious concern about them on some other basis other than potential on the field.

Or are you saying he simply didn't tell them he 'loved' them, having not recruited them in the first place to Cornell?
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

I doubt he can provide specifics. For example - Inside Lacrosse states Will Peden's verified commitment to Penn State as May 1, 2020. So I guess Milliman ran him off in a couple days or a week - he had nothing better to do. The kid that went to Yale - the other Penn State kid was right around the same time. The Brown goalie verified commitment July 6, 2020. Probably second on Milliman's list of things to do.

In addition - all 18 of Petro's recruits for the recruiting class of 20/21 showed up. 15 Juniors on the roster - Maher and Melendez are transfers. The goalie from Shadyside was dismissed by the school and not Milliman so 13 of 17 are still here. He needs to get better at running people off.
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

You are over looking the kid who committed w one coach and when that coach left reopened hos search or went with his second choice bcs he did not know the new coach etc
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

OCanada wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:31 am You are over looking the kid who committed w one coach and when that coach left reopened hos search or went with his second choice bcs he did not know the new coach etc
not exactly "ran off"... ;)

These examples sound more like the recruit opened up their consideration of other opportunities, not Milliman discouraging them from coming to Hopkins.

There's always some of this with a coaching change, heck you see it without such...recruits originally committed during Petro era ended up elsewhere...hard to know exactly why, but musical chairs has definitely become more prevalent than us old foagies had during our era.
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

O'C - I am not sure which post or poster you are referring to but that is exactly my point. I TRY to look at things logically and this position that Milliman ran off recruits a) does not appear to be clearly supported by facts of dates and b) does not entirely make sense. Petro's 21/22 class was smaller on the heels of two consecutive big classes 18 and 18 if not mistaken. So you are Milliman - you take the job in April of 2020. Everybody is committed because you are only 16 months away from the kids showing up on campus. It's hard to find the original list these days but my recollection the class was 11 to 13 ish. So you set out to run off recruits from that class for what purpose? To get your OWN guys like Wong and Charboneau who have never played in 2 years? The much more logical story is that he had to backfill because when the smoke cleared he had Teachout and Todaro and maybe some lint in his pocket. Clearly the two Penn State kids left almost immediately after Petro was gone. I believe the young man that went to Yale was right at the same time (edit - Jake Cohen was a 5 star that verified his commitment to Yale at almost the exact same time as Demopolous - early July 2020). Was there also a player that went to Notre Dame? The face-off man was late May 2020 decommit and the Brown goalie was still fairly early in the summer. So before he left - Petro had the 18/25 and 28 ranked players in the country - 1 5* and 2 of the highest ranked 4* - you have very few options to replace them so you run them off? And again, while NLIs were signed - if he wanted to run off recruits from the 20/21 class he really hasn't done it as 13 of the original 17 are still here 3 seasons later.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

You look at where some of those '21 recruits landed and I don't think we're missing much. The Cohen kid at Yale might have helped. Other than that I'm not seeing many impact players at any of their current schools. Demopoulos was in the transfer portal at one point, likely because he's still not starting at Brown. Looks like the two PSU defections are not contributing a ton right now. There was a ranked defenseman who went to Lehigh and hasn't seen the field. Blanking on who else there was but the best player in that class — including both Petro and PM recruits — might very well end up being Callahan. He chose Hopkins over Maryland, for those unaware. Phillips and Kaufman are contributing, Todaro is starting to see the field after missing his entire freshman season with an injury. All things considered that class could have turned out MUCH worse. We could easily be getting *nothing* from them while the Petro recruits turn into All-Americans elsewhere...but neither of those things are happening. By the way, if any of those post-Petro defections freed up some scholly money for one Matthew Collison, I can live with that.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:59 am O'C - I am not sure which post or poster you are referring to but that is exactly my point. I TRY to look at things logically and this position that Milliman ran off recruits a) does not appear to be clearly supported by facts of dates and b) does not entirely make sense. Petro's 21/22 class was smaller on the heels of two consecutive big classes 18 and 18 if not mistaken. So you are Milliman - you take the job in April of 2020. Everybody is committed because you are only 16 months away from the kids showing up on campus. It's hard to find the original list these days but my recollection the class was 11 to 13 ish. So you set out to run off recruits from that class for what purpose? To get your OWN guys like Wong and Charboneau who have never played in 2 years? The much more logical story is that he had to backfill because when the smoke cleared he had Teachout and Todaro and maybe some lint in his pocket.
My understanding is that he contacted all recruits and informed them that their recruiting status had now changed and all were going to be evaluated going forward. That would explain the immediate flips. From what I’ve heard those kids wanted to come to Hopkins but wanted no part of proving themselves to PM. So if you don’t like the term run off so be it but PM reopened their commitment status
notentitled

Post by notentitled »

The crazy has returned to the Johns Hopkins blog. Awesome. It was so boring at 2 wins and 0 losses. With 2 losses, the long knives are out. :)
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

flalax22 wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:44 am My understanding is that he contacted all recruits and informed them that their recruiting status had now changed and all were going to be evaluated going forward.
And how exactly was he going to perform this evaluation with absolutely zero lacrosse being played from Spring of '20 to Spring of '21 and no one to replace them with? Boy this guy Milliman is the absolute master of cutting his nose off to spite his face. Maybe just maybe - the poaching vultures like Shay/Corrigan etc. might have noticed Petro's dismissal and went to pick over the recruiting carcass and convinced players that Hopkins was in upheaval (true statement).
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

51percentcorn wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:59 am O'C - I am not sure which post or poster you are referring to but that is exactly my point. I TRY to look at things logically and this position that Milliman ran off recruits a) does not appear to be clearly supported by facts of dates and b) does not entirely make sense. Petro's 21/22 class was smaller on the heels of two consecutive big classes 18 and 18 if not mistaken. So you are Milliman - you take the job in April of 2020. Everybody is committed because you are only 16 months away from the kids showing up on campus. It's hard to find the original list these days but my recollection the class was 11 to 13 ish. So you set out to run off recruits from that class for what purpose? To get your OWN guys like Wong and Charboneau who have never played in 2 years? The much more logical story is that he had to backfill because when the smoke cleared he had Teachout and Todaro and maybe some lint in his pocket. Clearly the two Penn State kids left almost immediately after Petro was gone. I believe the young man that went to Yale was right at the same time (edit - Jake Cohen was a 5 star that verified his commitment to Yale at almost the exact same time as Demopolous - early July 2020). Was there also a player that went to Notre Dame? The face-off man was late May 2020 decommit and the Brown goalie was still fairly early in the summer. So before he left - Petro had the 18/25 and 28 ranked players in the country - 1 5* and 2 of the highest ranked 4* - you have very few options to replace them so you run them off? And again, while NLIs were signed - if he wanted to run off recruits from the 20/21 class he really hasn't done it as 13 of the original 17 are still here 3 seasons later.
I agree with your logic. It seems possible to me that you don’t intentionally want to chase players away but make decisions that produce the same result. As in Flalax’s post and your reply to same

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”