York 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Asgot

Re: York 2023

Post by Asgot »

DeepPocket wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:05 pm Man, that was a tough watch. Yea, there were some questionable calls, but in the end if you were up by 4, a few bad calls wasn’t what ended your day.

Congrats to the generals.

York, work on your D and your clears. And man did they look physically small out there.
I could see a pretty long practice in their future focusing on lots of stick work.

Childs will right the ship.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

ergit wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:15 pm
DeepPocket wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:58 pm
Jumbo wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:47 pm No one said W&L was bad. But as I mentioned. The final 12 possession were turnovers and only 2 could potentially be because of defensive pressure. York couldn’t hit the goal. Only 2 shots on goal the entire 4th and OT. W&L didn’t play better. They just spread their mistakes out over the entire game, vs York saving all mistakes for the final 20 mins
York made plenty of first half mistakes. This game is over. I’m hoping they learn from this, and not how to spread their mistakes over 4 quarters, but how to make less of them.

A short turnaround till Wednesday and Ursinus will be flying high, ready to take on the world after their big win. York needs to come in with a chip and ready to make a needed statement.
Championships aren’t won in February. The point is to learn along the way and get better every week. York will be in the mix at the end of the season and will have learned from this.
This as lots of kids are getting their first college lacrosse experience and it showed, much like last year this team will look very different in May than it does right now. Last year child move several pieces around and was not shy about it, in fact, a kid who started the first two games never saw the field again after the second game and is now on another team. You will probably see some shuffling on Wednesday night as the staff works out who are the best kids for what they want to do.
LaxFan1991

Post by LaxFan1991 »

Asgot wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:59 am
ergit wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 3:15 pm
DeepPocket wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:58 pm
Jumbo wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:47 pm No one said W&L was bad. But as I mentioned. The final 12 possession were turnovers and only 2 could potentially be because of defensive pressure. York couldn’t hit the goal. Only 2 shots on goal the entire 4th and OT. W&L didn’t play better. They just spread their mistakes out over the entire game, vs York saving all mistakes for the final 20 mins
York made plenty of first half mistakes. This game is over. I’m hoping they learn from this, and not how to spread their mistakes over 4 quarters, but how to make less of them.

A short turnaround till Wednesday and Ursinus will be flying high, ready to take on the world after their big win. York needs to come in with a chip and ready to make a needed statement.
Championships aren’t won in February. The point is to learn along the way and get better every week. York will be in the mix at the end of the season and will have learned from this.
This as lots of kids are getting their first college lacrosse experience and it showed, much like last year this team will look very different in May than it does right now. Last year child move several pieces around and was not shy about it, in fact, a kid who started the first two games never saw the field again after the second game and is now on another team. You will probably see some shuffling on Wednesday night as the staff works out who are the best kids for what they want to do.
There shouldn’t be much shuffling around with the group this year. Should be more about decision making. 15 yd on the run shots, clears etc. Lots of new guys, but also many veterans. Hopefully Childs gets on the people making bad decisions.
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

I don’t know how childs can correct issues with changing the lineup. Just looking at the box stats. The mistakes seemed to have come from the vets. Maybe just rust. ?

only two freshman got time. Both on offense. One of them had several turnovers, but I think his upside outweighs those turnovers. Both freshman contributed with points. In fact, every offense player contributed with points except two vets. And I think one of them was only on the field for a few moments. I don’t see any change on offense yet. Other than adding 1-2 more into the middie rotation to give the others a breather

The defense was all returning players (not starters). So I would expect that all of them had some game experience last year.

I don’t expect to see too much of a shake up in the lineup yet. I am sure childs is trying to get the key players as much game time as he can before the RIT and Salisbury games.

I dont expect to see the same mental issues tomorrow.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

AbeFroeman wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 1:22 pm I don’t know how childs can correct issues with changing the lineup. Just looking at the box stats. The mistakes seemed to have come from the vets. Maybe just rust. ?

only two freshman got time. Both on offense. One of them had several turnovers, but I think his upside outweighs those turnovers. Both freshman contributed with points. In fact, every offense player contributed with points except two vets. And I think one of them was only on the field for a few moments. I don’t see any change on offense yet. Other than adding 1-2 more into the middie rotation to give the others a breather

The defense was all returning players (not starters). So I would expect that all of them had some game experience last year.

I don’t expect to see too much of a shake up in the lineup yet. I am sure childs is trying to get the key players as much game time as he can before the RIT and Salisbury games.

I dont expect to see the same mental issues tomorrow.
actually there was a 3rd one who is a sophomore but red shirted last year due to injury,

Plenty of turnovers by upperclassmen, but as I was implying there were several first time starters in the line-up. May be why Childs wanted to start the season at home as opposed to on the road. Just a guess.
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

I watched some of the ursinus/Stevenson game yesterday. Looks like Stevenson is missing/ or looking for a fogo. They were using multiple different players, eventually using a long pole. And they were struggling. That gave Ursinus several more possessions. I think York will have a strong advantage at face off, which will give York more possessions and a nice advantage tomorrow.

I also don’t think Ursinus looked as good as W&L. York just needs to clean up some of the mistakes, and they should have control of the tempo tomorrow
Laxrealist

Post by Laxrealist »

There was really almost no shuffling around last year and the team that made the Final Four was nearly identical to the one that started the season. The one player mentioned did not start 2 games and never see the field thereafter; he started two and played in 11. Other than that change, the only shuffling was trying to see who fit best at the third attack spot (but it was the same core of players being plugged in ... sometimes Wilhelm, sometimes Clark, sometimes Russo and maybe 1-2 others briefly. However, none of the other positions or players were really shuffled at all (at least not in competitive games).

The issue about getting the primary middies a breather has been an issue for years.

I am struggling to recall the last time York lost such a game and had a second half and particularly fourth quarter like that. Last year against W&L was similarly tight but York pulled it out. Same thing at Cabrini, Gettysburg and against Stevenson. W&L was only the first game of many and I'm not saying that the men this year won't step up, but this team lost a ton of talent and experience at every position except attack since last year. There are 6AA and as many MAC All-Conference shoes to fill, which is a lot of lost experience and poise (which was clearly lacking in the 4th quarter). Ursinus will be an interesting test.

Last week, 28 was York's best, most reliable offensive player. 4 goals on 7 shots was ridiculously efficient and I wish they had recognized that and designed more ways to get him shots. If Ursinus' play last week is any type of guide, they don't defend lefties well so expect #4 to have a big day tomorrow.
ergit

Post by ergit »

Not connected to the program in any way, but tons of unnecessary hand-wringing after one game.
Relax…
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

ergit wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:20 pm Not connected to the program in any way, but tons of unnecessary hand-wringing after one game.
Relax…
I see it as fans talking about a sport they love.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

AbeFroeman wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:46 pm
ergit wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:20 pm Not connected to the program in any way, but tons of unnecessary hand-wringing after one game.
Relax…
That is 100% what it is. However there are some who view this as an opportunity to jump in and critique. Who go to great lengths to never reveal their rooting interest, won’t ever fill a poll (but freely analyze), and will never offer an opinion of their own, short of countering someone else’s. It is what it is. Pretend they don’t exist, because until they offer a view of their own, they don’t.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
smoova

Post by smoova »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:40 pm
AbeFroeman wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:46 pm
Relax…
That is 100% what it is. However there are some who view this as an opportunity to jump in and critique. Who go to great lengths to never reveal their rooting interest, won’t ever fill a poll (but freely analyze), and will never offer an opinion of their own, short of countering someone else’s. It is what it is. Pretend they don’t exist, because until they offer a view of their own, they don’t.
I really admire the passion/support York fans have for their team. This thread is the D3 version of the Hopkins thread ... but without the infighting.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

… the only thread close to the 161 page Hopkins one is the 122 page NESCAC one.
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

DeepPocket wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:55 pm … the only thread close to the 161 page Hopkins one is the 122 page NESCAC one.
Well. They are “THE HOP”. I bet at some point, every lax fan over 40, has cheered for Hopkins in one game.

Daaaa
Da da
Da da da da da da da
Da da da
Da da da
Da da da da da da da

1,2,3,4,5,6 we want more

I grew up going to games there. I went to college at Towson. Lived with a lax player. And still drive down Charles to check out Saturday games. When I was a kid, Hopkins was lacrosse

Lacrosse is awesome. At this point in my life, I don’t cheer against any team. Just enjoy watching the sport
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

AbeFroeman wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:10 pm
DeepPocket wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:55 pm … the only thread close to the 161 page Hopkins one is the 122 page NESCAC one.
Well. They are “THE HOP”. I bet at some point, every lax fan over 40, has cheered for Hopkins in one game.

Daaaa
Da da
Da da da da da da da
Da da da
Da da da
Da da da da da da da

1,2,3,4,5,6 we want more

I grew up going to games there. I went to college at Towson. Lived with a lax player. And still drive down Charles to check out Saturday games. When I was a kid, Hopkins was lacrosse

Lacrosse is awesome. At this point in my life, I don’t cheer against any team. Just enjoy watching the sport
There’s the spirit!
smoova

Post by smoova »

True ... but that's 11 teams.
Nosey Ned

Post by Nosey Ned »

Even more remarkable is that 161 page Hopkins thread is less than 1 year old. And we're only a few games into the season! The NESCAC thread, though impressive at 122, has been continuous since 2019.

Makes no matter really .... all great chatter about the game we love!
MacAttack

Post by MacAttack »

Daaaa
Da da
Da da da da da da da
Da da da
Da da da
Da da da da da da da

1,2,3,4,5,6 we want more

Yes! I think Hopkins is one of those teams that naturally attracts Lax fans. Maybe it's the environment or their programs success over the years, but those games are always a lot of fun!
I'm with you on just loving the sport of lacrosse. I like to watch just about any team and love to see good play on both sides.
Except for Stevenson...Haha...always cheer against Stevenson... :D
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Rain will stop in SE PA around 3pm, making for a cloudy 40 degree 7pm game time.
LaxFan1991

Post by LaxFan1991 »

DeepPocket wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:02 am Rain will stop in SE PA around 3pm, making for a cloudy 40 degree 7pm game time.
Another great test for York tonight. Controlling possessions with face-off wins and limiting turnovers will be huge. Also, Good shot selection early to not let Ursinus goalie get hot.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

MacAttack wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:42 am

Daaaa
Da da
Da da da da da da da
Da da da
Da da da
Da da da da da da da

1,2,3,4,5,6 we want more

Yes! I think Hopkins is one of those teams that naturally attracts Lax fans. Maybe it's the environment or their programs success over the years, but those games are always a lot of fun!
I'm with you on just loving the sport of lacrosse. I like to watch just about any team and love to see good play on both sides.
Except for Stevenson...Haha...always cheer against Stevenson... :D
I have hated Hopkins my entire life and could never root for them even as a Big Ten fan. There is no singular thing worse in college lacrosse than their band and that stupid song.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”