FanLax Forum Poll

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HGK

Re: FanLax Forum Poll

Post by HGK »

Looking at the coaches poll, it is a clear vote on what they see going forward. I think voters here have done a much better job of voting on what they have seen so far.
FanLax Computer

Post by FanLax Computer »

Houndfan73 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:53 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:26 pm How many do they need to win by for it to be a solid showing?
50? Cleveland State is just about as bad as it gets. You get zero credit. Zero
Hound isn't right but he also isn't wrong. With Notre Dame's wins over Marquette and Cleveland State, I have them at #28. A third will help them a lot (and, obviously, they're not the only team with this issue) and, more importantly, they need a W over a more highly ranked team. At the end of the 2022 season, Marquette was ranked #45 and Cleveland was ranked #61.
“I do not fear computers. I fear lack of them.” -Isaac Asimov
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:51 pm
ICGrad wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:43 pm Why are you preaching to the converted? Loyola is #2 in this poll, no? I think people here are giving proper credit to their wins.
Massey and IL have them 5/6 respectively. If you want to preach, start with them...
Yeah but... You guys will listen to me. With my limited friend base, I don't have a lot of options.
Maybe you should try out Rex Kwon Do???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_W4Gi5h9P8
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

FanLax Computer wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 3:07 pm
Houndfan73 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:53 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:26 pm How many do they need to win by for it to be a solid showing?
50? Cleveland State is just about as bad as it gets. You get zero credit. Zero
Hound isn't right but he also isn't wrong. With Notre Dame's wins over Marquette and Cleveland State, I have them at #28. A third will help them a lot (and, obviously, they're not the only team with this issue) and, more importantly, they need a W over a more highly ranked team. At the end of the 2022 season, Marquette was ranked #45 and Cleveland was ranked #61.
Computer and I are on the same page!
TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:54 pm
Matnum PI wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:46 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:40 pm ... I'm a Loyola guy but I'm even hesitant to say they're definitely better than ND and all the Ivies right now. It's still just a couple of games.
I also don't know if they're "better" but, as of 2/20/2023, their resume is. And isn't that enough? It's not the same as but I think it's comparable to High Point scoring 10 goals on Duke, Duke scoring 9 goals on High Point, the final whistle blows, and saying, Duke is better. Yes, maybe they are but High Point won. If this was the only game played in NCAA D1 Men Lacrosse, the ranking should be 1- High Point, 2- Duke.
To me no, a two game sample isn't enough yet. I don't have a problem with people projecting still.
I am doing both and weighing each differently based on the quality of games played so far (including my projection biased view on the quality of the opponents).

All of us will get better as the season progresses - the final poll is the easiest. The fun part about this time of year is getting a view into what some people see that others do not.
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

Got no problem with ND ranking. they were much better than just good last year and their exclusion reeked , the best in the ACC by year end and arguably a Final Four team. It is what it was -lesson learned was early season losses are as significant as late season wins and any rankings. Not sure this version will be as strong defensively but that will be answered soon enough.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Loyola defense held Maryland to 7 goals. This is an offense that dropped 15 on Richmond and Cuse. They showed it wasn’t a fluke holding Hopkins to 3 through 3 quarters before losing a little focus while up 9 goals.

Meanwhile the offense was consistently productive with 12 goals in each.

On paper and by eye test, these are the two best wins out there and the most complete performances on both sides of the ball against top competition.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Matnum, thanks for doing this. I’m not a betting person so thinking about “my” poll submission adds some extra spice that others may be getting from taking on the point spreads. Your organizing work is much appreciated!
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

LaxPower, now Lax Numbers, Power Ratings (current)

https://www.laxnumbers.com/ratings.php?y=2023&v=401
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:23 pm LaxPower, now Lax Numbers, Power Ratings (current)

ND #1, Cleveland State #9

hurm
CU88

Post by CU88 »

10stone5 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 5:23 pm LaxPower, now Lax Numbers, Power Ratings (current)

ND #1!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

That one is screwy,
UVA is way down the list,

LaxPower, now Lax Numbers, Power Ratings (current)

a different view, RPI method

https://laxmath.com/men/rpi001x.php
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

CU88 wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 7:53 pm

ND #1!

:lol: :lol: :lol:
It's not really accurate until teams have played about half their games.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Terry Foy @TerenceFoy 1h
My Weekly Top 20: This is the most dangerous week to draw bold conclusions. https://bit.ly/41f31Ao

10. @DelawareMLAX
9. @TerpsMLax
8. @LoyolaMLAX
7. @NDlacrosse
6. @YaleLacrosse
5. @PennMensLax
4. @CornellLacrosse
3. @OhioStateMLAX
2. @TigerLacrosse
1. @UVAMensLax
I don't get it...
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Matnum PI wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:24 pm
Terry Foy @TerenceFoy 1h
My Weekly Top 20: This is the most dangerous week to draw bold conclusions. https://bit.ly/41f31Ao

10. @DelawareMLAX
9. @TerpsMLax
8. @LoyolaMLAX
7. @NDlacrosse
6. @YaleLacrosse
5. @PennMensLax
4. @CornellLacrosse
3. @OhioStateMLAX
2. @TigerLacrosse
1. @UVAMensLax
I don't get it...
What is interesting is that, contrary to preseason stickiness, he was more than willing to bump the Terps waaay down his list. But he won't bump Loyola up?

I can't see how you justify ranking ND ahead of any of the teams on that list (perhaps other than the Terps since they have lost a game). ND has played no one. Then again, neither has Princeton or Delaware. For that matter, has Penn? G'town already looks to have made its path to the post-season a difficult uphill climb.

The more I think about it, the more I believe I under-ranked Loyola this week

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

HooDat wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:21 pmThe more I think about it, the more I believe I under-ranked Loyola this week
Agreed. #9 is way too low...
Caddy Day
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

I never have understood sports’ pools starting at the beginning of the season with no data available save for a halo effect from the previous season. In the end people who base votes on Ws foo often chasing their tails A > B > C > A etc. Teams get too much credit for beating a team ranked on prior performance. Why not wait until a few games into the season. It does provide fodder for discussion though
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

OCanada wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:52 pm...In the end people who base votes on Ws foo often chasing their tails A > B > C > A etc. Teams get too much credit for beating a team ranked on prior performance...
Though counter-intuitive, head-to-head Ws don't work as an indicator of A>B. As you're speaking to. Head-to-head doesn't work. A team's complete resume, that works.
Caddy Day
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

OCanada wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:52 pm I never have understood sports’ pools starting at the beginning of the season with no data available save for a halo effect from the previous season. In the end people who base votes on Ws foo often chasing their tails A > B > C > A etc. Teams get too much credit for beating a team ranked on prior performance. Why not wait until a few games into the season. It does provide fodder for discussion though
I will repeat myself, but in situations like the one here on LaxPower - I kinda like the fact that we're making it up right now. Nothing is at stake other than our pride.

To the extent the Media and Coaches polls end up impacting the selection committee, I agree 100%. Those should start around week 5 or 6 so that they aren't quite so permanently biased by last year or press hype. Rankings get sticky for some folks, who seem afraid to admit they were wrong the week(s) before.

wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

HooDat wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:06 pm
OCanada wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:52 pm I never have understood sports’ pools starting at the beginning of the season with no data available save for a halo effect from the previous season. In the end people who base votes on Ws foo often chasing their tails A > B > C > A etc. Teams get too much credit for beating a team ranked on prior performance. Why not wait until a few games into the season. It does provide fodder for discussion though
I will repeat myself, but in situations like the one here on LaxPower - I kinda like the fact that we're making it up right now. Nothing is at stake other than our pride.

To the extent the Media and Coaches polls end up impacting the selection committee, I agree 100%. Those should start around week 5 or 6 so that they aren't quite so permanently biased by last year or press hype. Rankings get sticky for some folks, who seem afraid to admit they were wrong the week(s) before.
polls are the only (i think) thing that are expressly verboten in the manual on selection. then again, they also list the selection criteria...
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

HooDat wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 3:21 pm For that matter, has Penn? G'town already looks to have made its path to the post-season a difficult uphill climb.
Georgetown losing two close games to two good teams doesn't mean they're not a quality win. I give Hopkins a hell of a lot more credit for beating G'town than I give ND credit for beating Cleveland State. Same with Penn.

Luckily, ND gets a chance this weekend to notch their own ND win. Then they might begin to justify their lofty ranking.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”