FanLax Forum Poll

D1 Mens Lacrosse
wgdsr

Re: FanLax Forum Poll

Post by wgdsr »

HooDat wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:59 pm Someone explain the ND love? I recognize that I am the outlier here - but they have 2 meh wins over unimpressive teams. And multiple pollsters here plus Inside Lacrosse have them at #2? And then a few more at #3. What am I missing?
reigning champs always get early love.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

HooDat wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:59 pm Someone explain the ND love? I recognize that I am the outlier here - but they have 2 meh wins over unimpressive teams. And multiple pollsters here plus Inside Lacrosse have them at #2? And then a few more at #3. What am I missing?
ND has 3 huge contests coming up (Georgetown, Maryland, OSU).

They've proven they can kick the snot out of Cleveland State; they better show up and win at least 2 of these next 3.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Pre-season All-Americans make at least a little sense because a player was 2nd Team AA in 2022 and all the 1st Team players graduated and etc. But Preseason team rankings, that makes little to no sense to me. And, more than this, these preseason rankings often influence the rankings after the season has started. Anyway, HooDat, that's my long winded way of saying why I think some teams, ND included, get love seemingly undeservedly. ND was good, not great in 2022, and they picked up some quality transfers. Thus preseason polls like 'em.
Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:31 pm
Pre-season All-Americans make at least a little sense because a player was 2nd Team AA in 2022 and all the 1st Team players graduated and etc. But Preseason team rankings, that makes little to no sense to me. And, more than this, these preseason rankings often influence the rankings after the season has started. Anyway, HooDat, that's my long winded way of saying why I think some teams, ND included, get love seemingly undeservedly. ND was good, not great in 2022, and they picked up some quality transfers. Thus preseason polls like 'em.
I tend to think it is a little what you say here Matnum, and a whole lot of what wgsr says below:
wgdsr wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:13 pm reigning champs always get early love.
:lol: :lol:
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Not the best opponents but they beat them handily. I wasn't someone who thought they should have made the tournament last year because the games have to matter. I do think they have a lot of talent though and should be ranked highly for now.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:53 pm ... I do think they have a lot of talent though and should be ranked highly for now.
HooDat, I'd call this thinking preseason thinking. Iguana, I'm not being intentionally critical towards your view. I'm just pointing at a perspective.
Caddy Day
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:53 pm
Not the best opponents but they beat them handily. I wasn't someone who thought they should have made the tournament last year because the games have to matter. I do think they have a lot of talent though and should be ranked highly for now.
So 18-8 over Cleveland State makes you the #2 team in the country???

No offense to the Vikings' players and staff - but, sorry not buying that.

HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:59 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:53 pm ... I do think they have a lot of talent though and should be ranked highly for now.
HooDat, I'd call this thinking preseason thinking. Iguana, I'm not being intentionally critical towards your view. I'm just pointing at a perspective.
I agree, and a certain amount of preseason thinking HAS to go into the polls at this stage - or you wouldn't need us, you could just post the computer's poll.

Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

HooDat wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:07 pm I agree, and a certain amount of preseason thinking HAS to go into the polls at this stage - or you wouldn't need us, you could just post the computer's poll.
Yes and... I think RollDodge has less of the 2022 season and Preseason Polls influencing his rankings. I agree, we don't have enough information. And the FanLax Computer Rankings is a testament to this. But... I dunno. What Loyola has done in 2023 is pretty impressive and yet, only one pollster has them at #1! :)
Caddy Day
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 1:59 pm
It's still kind of preseason. I mean do we really know anything yet?
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

HooDat wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:06 pm

How many do they need to win by for it to be a solid showing?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:25 pm It's still kind of preseason. I mean do we really know anything yet?
We know Loyola beat MD and JHU, both by 5. It's very early in 2023 and it's only 2 games but that's pretty darn good. As the season progresses, we may learn that MD and JHU are awful so these Ws will, in hindsight, be seen as substantially less impressive but based on their wins thus far in 2023 and their historical successes, I doubt that this will be the case. As of February 20th, 2023, how can people not give Loyola credit where credit is due? In the coming weeks, Loyola may lose to Rutgers, Towson and Lafayette and we'll realize that Loyola wasn't as good as we thought but, for now, don't we have to give credit where credit is due?
Caddy Day
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:36 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:25 pm It's still kind of preseason. I mean do we really know anything yet?
We know Loyola beat MD and JHU, both by 5. It's very early in 2023 and it's only 2 games but that's pretty darn good. As the season progresses, we may learn that MD and JHU are awful so these Ws will, in hindsight, be seen as substantially less impressive but based on their wins thus far in 2023 and their historical successes, I doubt that this will be the case. As of February 20th, 2023, how can people not give Loyola credit where credit is due? In the coming weeks, Loyola may lose to Rutgers, Towson and Lafayette and we'll realize that Loyola wasn't as good as we thought but, for now, don't we have to give credit where credit is due?
I think you're allowed some amount of influence from your preconceived notions still. I'm a Loyola guy but I'm even hesitant to say they're definitely better than ND and all the Ivies right now. It's still just a couple of games.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:36 pm
Why are you preaching to the converted? Loyola is #2 in this poll, no? I think people here are giving proper credit to their wins.

Massey and IL have them 5/6 respectively. If you want to preach, start with them...
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:40 pm ... I'm a Loyola guy but I'm even hesitant to say they're definitely better than ND and all the Ivies right now. It's still just a couple of games.
I also don't know if they're "better" but, as of 2/20/2023, their resume is. And isn't that enough? It's not the same as but I think it's comparable to High Point scoring 10 goals on Duke, Duke scoring 9 goals on High Point, the final whistle blows, and saying, Duke is better. Yes, maybe they are but High Point won. If this was the only game played in NCAA D1 Men Lacrosse, the ranking should be 1- High Point, 2- Duke.
Caddy Day
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

ICGrad wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:43 pm Why are you preaching to the converted? Loyola is #2 in this poll, no? I think people here are giving proper credit to their wins.
Massey and IL have them 5/6 respectively. If you want to preach, start with them...
Yeah but... You guys will listen to me. With my limited friend base, I don't have a lot of options.
Last edited by Matnum PI on Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Caddy Day
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:26 pm
HooDat wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:06 pm

How many do they need to win by for it to be a solid showing?
50? Cleveland State is just about as bad as it gets. You get zero credit. Zero
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:46 pm
TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:40 pm ... I'm a Loyola guy but I'm even hesitant to say they're definitely better than ND and all the Ivies right now. It's still just a couple of games.
I also don't know if they're "better" but, as of 2/20/2023, their resume is. And isn't that enough? It's not the same as but I think it's comparable to High Point scoring 10 goals on Duke, Duke scoring 9 goals on High Point, the final whistle blows, and saying, Duke is better. Yes, maybe they are but High Point won. If this was the only game played in NCAA D1 Men Lacrosse, the ranking should be 1- High Point, 2- Duke.
To me no, a two game sample isn't enough yet. I don't have a problem with people projecting still.
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:54 pm To me no, a two game sample isn't enough yet. I don't have a problem with people projecting still.
Caddy Day
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

North Carolina moving up from 19th to 12th in media poll despite scoring only five goals in a loss to OSU makes absolutely no sense

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”