Ivy League 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Ivy League 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:11 pm MDLaxFan76 must have some split allegiances on the UVA vs Harvard game. Like father or like son??
He’s a Dartmouth grad.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
another fan

Post by another fan »

His father was UVA
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

another fan wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:24 pm His father was UVA
Ahh guess I’ve seen or knew that and forgot. That’s easy you go with your kid. I think.

Then again my dad finished at Corning Community, my schools were Bart and American U (grad school) and my sons schools will eventually be (he’s 10) from among: CalTech, MIT, HYP, Dart, Williams, Amherst, Wesleyan and if I’m still in the south I’ll allow Vandy. So I won’t have those worries personally.
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

Obituary for the father. Left his mark!

https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... asses-away

His son, a longtime poster here as we know, was a heck of a two-time AA goalie at Dartmouth. I think he graduated a year or two before I matriculated.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:34 pm

His son, a longtime poster here as we know, was a heck of a two-time AA goalie at Dartmouth. I think he graduated a year or two before I matriculated.
Knew about Charlie and guess he’s talked about his dad just didn’t register before. Still you go with your son I’m pretty sure.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:34 pm

By the way where are we going when Bart wins? :). If you’re not close to NYC we can find another venue.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Penn looked pretty solid, not much activity from Handley, Carroll
will fill in well in place of Burkinshaw,

definitely a high RPI win, unfortunately don’t know what to make
of Georgetown.
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

The Orfling wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:17 pm Welcome back, Ivy League lacrosse! Predictions:
  • UVA over Harvard by 3
  • Princeton over Monmouth by 10
  • Yale over Villanova by 1
  • Cornell over Albany by 6
  • Georgetown over Penn by 2
  • Merrimack over Dartmouth by 1
  • Brown over Quinnipiac by 7
Well, clearly I have no future as a lacrosse tout! I was wayyyyyyyy off overall. Five take-aways after a day of stream-surfing:

1. Really good win for Dartmouth! Don't sleep on the Big Green. They showed great composure, got excellent goaltending, had some terrific defensive stands, and had some very nice inside passing to score big goals for the win against a Merrimack team off to a great start.

2. Tough one for Brown. Quinnipiac was on a mission and played great. The game could have gone either way, but probably I should have thought a bit more about "4 out of top 5 scorers graduated" before predicting a big Brown margin of victory.

3. To the extent there were questions about Penn's goalie succession with Burkinshaw's graduation (and I know that knowledgeable Quaker fans had said they weren't worried), boy did Emmet Carroll answer them -- made 18 saves in Penn's nice win against Georgetown. (No, I would not want to be a Georgetown player at practice on Monday with an 0-2 start.)

4. If a man called "Lars" offers you a sweet early season game at Klockner with a late afternoon start, run the other way and check for your wallet -- that poor Harvard goalie couldn't see anything with the angle of the sun when the game started. (But UVA also looked awesome.)

5. Bottom line: I think the "Ivy League" itself has a big target on it after the 6-bid 2022 season. Last year, teams may have come into those early season out of conference games assuming easy pickings against Ivy opponents; this year they are fired up (as Quinnipiac, UVA, and Albany all showed.)

Let's go Yale tomorrow (but Villanova will be a tough customer as always).
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

Thanks, Orfling! I disagree, it was good to see some logical predictions on the board. Thanks for posting them. This is an unpredictable early season.

A few interesting performances in the Ivy League:

Offense:

Chris Lyons: 9G, 0A for Yale vs Villanova
Matt Brandau: 4G, 3A for Yale vs Villanova
Alexander Vardaro: 5G, 2A for Princeton vs Monmouth
CJ Kirst: 6G, 0A for Cornell vs Albany
Colin McGill: 4G, 2A for Dartmouth vs Merrimack
Cam Rubin: 4G,0A vs Georgetown

Goalies:

Emmet Carroll: 18 Saves/ 72% for Penn vs Georgetown
Jared Paquette: 18 Saves/56% for Yale vs Villanova
Sam Cooper: 10 Saves/ 50% for Dartmouth vs Merrimack
Chayse Ierland: 10/ Saves 50% for Cornell vs Albany

Other noteworthy performances:

Sam King: 7G, 1A for Harvard vs UVA
Connor Theriault: 13 Saves/ 54% for Brown vs Quinnipiac
Last edited by faircornell on Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bearlaxfan

Post by bearlaxfan »

The Orfling wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:01 pm ... Bottom line: I think the "Ivy League" itself has a big target on it after the 6-bid 2022 season. Last year, teams may have come into those early season out of conference games assuming easy pickings against Ivy opponents; this year they are fired up (as Quinnipiac, UVA, and Albany all showed.)
Yep. If my waaayyyy early take on Ivy ncaa bids over/under is 3, I'll take the under. Reasoning: history, reversion to mean, for Ivies AND other conferences.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

bearlaxfan wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:55 am
The Orfling wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:01 pm ... Bottom line: I think the "Ivy League" itself has a big target on it after the 6-bid 2022 season. Last year, teams may have come into those early season out of conference games assuming easy pickings against Ivy opponents; this year they are fired up (as Quinnipiac, UVA, and Albany all showed.)
Yep. If my waaayyyy early take on Ivy ncaa bids over/under is 3, I'll take the under. Reasoning: history, reversion to mean, for Ivies AND other conferences.
I was going to use those exact same words earlier.
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:59 am
Second week and OSU and Mich are only Big Ten teams w/o a loss.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

FannOLax wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 3:11 pm MDLaxFan76 must have some split allegiances on the UVA vs Harvard game. Like father or like son??
:D
Actually, pretty darn easy.
Son coached sophs Sam King and Tommy Martinson when they were sophs at Gilman on JV, and played with some of the other players' older brothers. Martinson is nephew of one of my good friends and HS teammates, Ted Sotir and son played with King's older brother at Gilman, know family well.

Son played with older brother of Mencke of UVA, but freshman tender Morris, came later to Gilman.

Lots of Baltimore, but less direct connections this year.

and Ivy vs ACC...

But we'll be rooting for Hoos rest of the season!

I was on a plane, but son said the defense played was horrible, both ends, really, really sloppy.
But as commented on here, not remotely a contest as to outcome, as UVA was way, way better at this point.
Dominated GB's, crushed in 2nd.
He was alarmed that Byrne left tender in beyond first Q.

Interesting re the pre-game warm-up...sounds like it was much too long, adrenaline wasted.

I think UVA has all the elements to be great again this year.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:53 pm Big Green squeaks past Merrimack 11-10. We'll take it!
Indeed a squeaker.; fortunately on the right end of it this year!..didn't like what I saw on defense for most of the game, poor posture and approaches, and really, really awful TO's...27!!

Movement off ball on offense was not good, put very little pressure on Merrimack.

But FO's made the difference in overall GB's, so well more total shots...but gotta hit the cage, value the opportunity...

I liked the battle down the stretch, the effort and obviously the outcome, but gosh, it seemed like many of our midfielders really didn't want the ball in their sticks...seemed desperate to give it to someone else. Fortunately, the attack men have no such issues, and the defense really stepped up at the end.

Extremely early games for all the Ivies, but gotta improve a lot these next few weeks.
b1w7o9y7h

Post by b1w7o9y7h »

That's a good take. Sounds like we're young at midfield?

Hopefully they learn and build from here. The majority of your observations fall in the "fixable/improvable" side of the ledger. And good heart and hustle always helps!

Now 5 straight AWAY (What the heck?!?!) games await the Big Green.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

b1w7o9y7h wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:21 pm That's a good take. Sounds like we're young at midfield?

Hopefully they learn and build from here. The majority of your observations fall in the "fixable/improvable" side of the ledger. And good heart and hustle always helps!

Now 5 straight AWAY (What the heck?!?!) games await the Big Green.
From what I heard, most of these are multi-year 'contracts', so the home and away will balance out over time...but yeah, rough out of the gate this year.

I do agree re fixable, and certainly the heart and hustle.

And yes, we're young at midfield.
But gotta want the ball in your stick, have no fear when being pressed, use it to your advantage.
They'll work on it, but need the attitude too.

Always good to get one under the belt.

And winning close ones down the stretch can build some confidence.
Gobigred

Post by Gobigred »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:05 am
Virginia 17, Michigan 13
faircornell

Post by faircornell »

faircornell wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:15 pm Thanks, Orfling! I disagree, it was good to see some logical predictions on the board. Thanks for posting them. This is an unpredictable early season.

A few interesting performances in the Ivy League:

Offense:

Chris Lyons: 9G, 0A for Yale vs Villanova
Matt Brandau: 4G, 3A for Yale vs Villanova
Alexander Vardaro: 5G, 2A for Princeton vs Monmouth
CJ Kirst: 6G, 0A for Cornell vs Albany
Colin McGill: 4G, 2A for Dartmouth vs Merrimack
Cam Rubin: 4G,0A vs Georgetown

Goalies:

Emmet Carroll: 18 Saves/ 72% for Penn vs Georgetown
Jared Paquette: 18 Saves/56% for Yale vs Villanova
Sam Cooper: 10 Saves/ 50% for Dartmouth vs Merrimack
Chayse Ierland: 10/ Saves 50% for Cornell vs Albany

Other noteworthy performances:

Sam King: 7G, 1A for Harvard vs UVA
Connor Theriault: 13 Saves/ 54% for Brown vs Quinnipiac
Updated for Yale/Villanova
The Orfling

Post by The Orfling »

Good list, faircornell. Chris Lyons of Yale is the Player of the Week and Dartmouth Goalie Sam Cooper is the rookie of the week: https://ivyleague.com/news/2023/2/20/ya ... onors.aspx

Others making the honor roll (almost all of whom were on your list) are:
Chad Palumbo (Princeton)
Cam Rubin (Penn)
Alex Vardaro (Princeton)
Colin McGill (Dartmouth)
C.J. Kirst (Cornell)
Emmet Carroll (Penn)

(Kind of unusual for Matt Brandau to have a 7 point day in a contested game and not make the Honor Roll but expectations are very high, I guess!)
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Gobigred wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:39 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:05 am
Virginia 17, Michigan 13
My bad. Actually watched second half of that one too.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”