Loyola Greyhounds 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
laxbro11

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2023

Post by laxbro11 »

What a great day Tailgating alumni back and a thumping of Hopkins a couple of takes

1, 50/50 at the face off x Good things will happen
2. How good is our defense The communication the slides and recovery were smooth Staudt stood tall again
3 It looks like Toomey has leaned that you can ginve underclassmen opportunities
a. Subbing at a 12-3 lead never happened last year even at md game he kept the starters in for most the game We never saw what a mcgorry could do and there are still players that play and have not continued in 4 years keep ggiving the young ones opportunities it will pay dividends in the long run
4 Rezanka and salley could be the best combo ssdm in the country
5. And finally Hopkins is not as good as they think they are The excuse of we did not have two of our starters is that just an excuse
6 how much better will the offense be when Jamison is back

Onto Rutgers
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

laxbro11 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:17 am What a great day Tailgating alumni back and a thumping of Hopkins a couple of takes

2. How good is our defense The communication the slides and recovery were smooth Staudt stood tall again
3 It looks like Toomey has leaned that you can ginve underclassmen opportunities
a. Subbing at a 12-3 lead never happened last year even at md game he kept the starters in for most the game We never saw what a mcgorry could do and there are still players that play and have not continued in 4 years keep ggiving the young ones opportunities it will pay dividends in the long run
5. And finally Hopkins is not as good as they think they are The excuse of we did not have two of our starters is that just an excuse

Onto Rutgers
When you say Jamison, do you mean kamish??? Agreed that he can be a difference maker from attack but where do you slot Habermann then? Also heuston is supposed to come back soon as well from his injury. There’s a lot more adjustments and tinkering that can be done once people come back and I applaud Toomey and the staff on the job they’ve done this year on retooling the offense
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Finster

Post by Finster »

laxbro11 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:17 am What a great day Tailgating alumni back and a thumping of Hopkins a couple of takes

Onto Rutgers

Rutgers is going to be motivated next weekend after this weekend’s loss.
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

Finster wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:03 am

Onto Rutgers

They may be motivated….or lost some confidence. Who knows?

I do know that Loyola should be able to have success on the offensive end. The Rutgers defense has two close defenders that aren’t as good as last year starters…lost an all American goalie…and lost 4 great Ssdm….and their all American pole has a nagging hammy injury. All this effects them in transition too.

I’ll be at the game in NJ. Hoping for a solid win!
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

houndace1 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:35 am

Onto Rutgers
When you say Jamison, do you mean kamish??? Agreed that he can be a difference maker from attack but where do you slot Habermann then? Also heuston is supposed to come back soon as well from his injury. There’s a lot more adjustments and tinkering that can be done once people come back and I applaud Toomey and the staff on the job they’ve done this year on retooling the offense
Sounds like one of them good problems.

Haberman has already been rotating out of attack for James so I think it is pretty easy to just move him to second midfield more consistently. Attack is Lindsey, Kamish, Minicus and first midfield is James, Higgins and Poitras. Second midfield is where you start to have to carve out time for people because Murphy is good and needs to play, Haberman is good and needs to play, Binney has shown he has something to offer, Hueston obviously has size and speed that is a bit different from what everyone else brings and now Cote is showing something as well. Maybe you bump Bateman down and actually run 3 midfields in some games?

Again it's a good problem I think. Loyola might not have one dominant offensive player but they're legit 10 deep with guys who are all a little different but effective at what they do. It's tough to defend.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Was such a wonderful time being back on campus and seeing a game at Ridley!

As always there is such an infectious, raucous crowd that comes to every home game at Ridley and this team feeds off of all this energy

They really were determined to win and prove that last week’s win against Maryland wasn’t a fluke. The team answered the bell. That being said I have my own list of pros and cons from what I saw in the game!

Pros:
Loyolas spacing could not be more perfect in these last two games. You could drive a truck through some of these lanes that they worked and towards the bubbles that they floated to in the offensive possessions.
The willingness to out GB the opposing team is really evident in these two games as the guys are crashing headfirst into grabbing these loose balls off of turnovers and missed passes
Defense and goaltending have been wonderful in two games. It seems that there is so much trust between the poles, LSMs and short sticks which allows staudt to see shots that he can make a good save! Hopkins did hit one or two pipes yesterday but loyolas defense has done a very fine job in limiting good looks

The offensive shooting efficiency has been off the charts (literally). Many of their shots were on cage yesterday as well as last week. They’re not aiming for corners per se but they’re shooting for SPACE to blast through the goalie.They’re also changing levels on their shots which is nice to see in addition to shooting offside from the goalies dominant hand.

The willingness to give young kids playing time! So many freshman/sophomores have been making impacts. Guys like Diego Roman, Josh fairey, Will McCullough, Austin Cote, Luke Murphy, Matt minicus, Henry Habermann have contributed early on in their careers and this season. Can’t wait to see what everyone and this team can do with more chemistry and practice.

Cons:
These are more of personal nitpicking but it is very very few for me

For all the good there is, there were a couple of passes that led to turnovers- whether that was passed being dropped or the offensive guys being stripped away by the other teams long poles.

FO’s were better with Eric and Chris cottone. But I just have to wonder why sawyer Allen hasn’t gotten any reps yet?

Miscellaneous:
S/O to the guys who are unfortunately injured but they provide a ton of moral and support on the bench. Guys like Ryan Mcgorry, Jacob Sullivan Hugh Brown- I noticed all of you on the sideline really pumping up the bench with celebrations. Joey kamish was dressed and in shooting in warmups yesterday! It’s a sign he can be close to coming back soon

Finally- they didn’t show up in the box score but want to give a special shout out to Liam Bateman and Najee Taylor. Both highly touted recruits out of HS, they still work and work really hard in practice and they still get time on the field.

Bateman to me looks like he’s influencing plays, he adds subtle things to each offensive set.
Najee Taylor has been through a lot and I’m just really glad to see him get one or two runs in the 4th quarter yesterday.

Onto Rutgers!
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
Finster

Post by Finster »

Houndfan73 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:39 pm
Finster wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 8:03 am

Onto Rutgers

They may be motivated….or lost some confidence. Who knows?

I do know that Loyola should be able to have success on the offensive end. The Rutgers defense has two close defenders that aren’t as good as last year starters…lost an all American goalie…and lost 4 great Ssdm….and their all American pole has a nagging hammy injury. All this effects them in transition too.

I’ll be at the game in NJ. Hoping for a solid win!

Most college lacrosse teams don’t ‘lose confidence’ until the midway point of a season, after enough losses knock them out of a the tournament. At this stage, after a loss, they’re motivated. I was.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Rutgers in its last 2 games has only had 6 scorers register any points in each game.

Advantage Loyola.
Laxfam4life

Post by Laxfam4life »

It’s nice to see the change up this year with the coaching staff clearing the bench and giving kids a shot after an abysmal 3 years of ignoring most of their roster and playing the same 12 kids and getting the same sub par results. Bateman still running out there and taking runs from some of these freshman standouts? Why? Give the runs to the freshman and future of Loyola lacrosse. I’m hoping for the best. Fingers crossed the antics and poor behavior of some won’t affect the new talent.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Laxfam4life wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:44 pm It’s nice to see the change up this year with the coaching staff clearing the bench and giving kids a shot after an abysmal 3 years of ignoring most of their roster and playing the same 12 kids and getting the same sub par results. Bateman still running out there and taking runs from some of these freshman standouts? Why? Give the runs to the freshman and future of Loyola lacrosse. I’m hoping for the best. Fingers crossed the antics and poor behavior of some won’t affect the new talent.
A little harsh. I think they handled 2021 well but yeah last year maybe could have made some moves. There were some guys who did a lot for the program who were also asked to do more than they were capable of. Water under the bridge now.
Finster

Post by Finster »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:48 am
Laxfam4life wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:44 pm It’s nice to see the change up this year with the coaching staff clearing the bench and giving kids a shot after an abysmal 3 years of ignoring most of their roster and playing the same 12 kids and getting the same sub par results. Bateman still running out there and taking runs from some of these freshman standouts? Why? Give the runs to the freshman and future of Loyola lacrosse. I’m hoping for the best. Fingers crossed the antics and poor behavior of some won’t affect the new talent.
A little harsh. I think they handled 2021 well but yeah last year maybe could have made some moves. There were some guys who did a lot for the program who were also asked to do more than they were capable of. Water under the bridge now.

I’m as tough as anyone on coaches not playing quality, capable backups and freshmen, but that guy writes like a dad who went through it. Provided a freshman is physically up for the d1 hits, they often add necessary energy to a team that needs it.

Historically I think coaches shied away from playing freshmen unless they came in with top recruiting rankings and accompanying huge media sideshows (O’Neill, Spallina).

Minicus looks to be a great find for sure, at least on television. I haven’t seen the Hounds in person yet (I’ll be at the March 10 game in Durham), so more then.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Huge challenge this week. I'm sure Rutgers is gonna be feisty and tough, given their close loss to Army. First time on the road too. Another good test for the Hounds.
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 12:48 am

Yes. Agreed. Water under the bridge. We need to move on.
NovaHound

Post by NovaHound »

houndace1 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:29 pm Was such a wonderful time being back on campus and seeing a game at Ridley!

As always there is such an infectious, raucous crowd that comes to every home game at Ridley and this team feeds off of all this energy

They really were determined to win and prove that last week’s win against Maryland wasn’t a fluke. The team answered the bell. That being said I have my own list of pros and cons from what I saw in the game!

Pros:
Loyolas spacing could not be more perfect in these last two games. You could drive a truck through some of these lanes that they worked and towards the bubbles that they floated to in the offensive possessions.
The willingness to out GB the opposing team is really evident in these two games as the guys are crashing headfirst into grabbing these loose balls off of turnovers and missed passes
Defense and goaltending have been wonderful in two games. It seems that there is so much trust between the poles, LSMs and short sticks which allows staudt to see shots that he can make a good save! Hopkins did hit one or two pipes yesterday but loyolas defense has done a very fine job in limiting good looks

The offensive shooting efficiency has been off the charts (literally). Many of their shots were on cage yesterday as well as last week. They’re not aiming for corners per se but they’re shooting for SPACE to blast through the goalie.They’re also changing levels on their shots which is nice to see in addition to shooting offside from the goalies dominant hand.

The willingness to give young kids playing time! So many freshman/sophomores have been making impacts. Guys like Diego Roman, Josh fairey, Will McCullough, Austin Cote, Luke Murphy, Matt minicus, Henry Habermann have contributed early on in their careers and this season. Can’t wait to see what everyone and this team can do with more chemistry and practice.

Cons:
These are more of personal nitpicking but it is very very few for me

For all the good there is, there were a couple of passes that led to turnovers- whether that was passed being dropped or the offensive guys being stripped away by the other teams long poles.

FO’s were better with Eric and Chris cottone. But I just have to wonder why sawyer Allen hasn’t gotten any reps yet?

Miscellaneous:
S/O to the guys who are unfortunately injured but they provide a ton of moral and support on the bench. Guys like Ryan Mcgorry, Jacob Sullivan Hugh Brown- I noticed all of you on the sideline really pumping up the bench with celebrations. Joey kamish was dressed and in shooting in warmups yesterday! It’s a sign he can be close to coming back soon

Finally- they didn’t show up in the box score but want to give a special shout out to Liam Bateman and Najee Taylor. Both highly touted recruits out of HS, they still work and work really hard in practice and they still get time on the field.

Bateman to me looks like he’s influencing plays, he adds subtle things to each offensive set.
Najee Taylor has been through a lot and I’m just really glad to see him get one or two runs in the 4th quarter yesterday.

Onto Rutgers!
Good Summary Houndace. It's fun watching these Hounds play. Lot of upside to the team. We'll see how they perform on the road. Should do ok since both scrimmages were on the road prior to the first game.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

A bit of an odd take on things from Foy,

I seem to be seeing a completely different team,

8. Loyola (11) The Greyhounds have now beaten Maryland and Hopkins in the same season for the first time ever. It feels like the Greyhounds should be higher than this, but none of the teams ahead of them have lost this year (that’ll change this week as two play each other and three others play really tough opponents). Loyola will have a chance to continue to prove themselves as they hit the road

Post by 1766 »

I come in peace. Congratulations on your season thus far. Huge wins out of the gates should have the faithful humming.

I've not seen Loyola play much this year, which is to say, more than a few minutes of each game. Seems to be a number of old faces with a few new ones sprinkled in. What's Loyola doing this year that is leading to big wins so far? More to the point, what are the strengths of this years Greyhounds to date?

Thanks in advance. Seeing how my Knights stack up in various position groups.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

They’re doing Toomey, if you ask me,

is Toomey repeating 2012,
if so opposing teams, be very afraid 8-)
Exlaxbro

Post by Exlaxbro »

10stone5 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 2:14 pm A bit of an odd take on things from Foy,

I seem to be seeing a completely different team,

8. Loyola (11) The Greyhounds have now beaten Maryland and Hopkins in the same season for the first time ever. It feels like the Greyhounds should be higher than this, but none of the teams ahead of them have lost this year (that’ll change this week as two play each other and three others play really tough opponents). Loyola will have a chance to continue to prove themselves as they hit the road
I read somewhere in January that Maryland was going to the the Loyola of 2023. I guess they meant a lot to talent but not the chemistry. I think the Hounds got Maryland early but they will improve making the Loyola strength of schedule better and Hopkins is just not great. That said, no team above Loyola has shown dominance yet so I agree this is a strange take from Foy but time will tell how good the Hounds really are. It doesn’t seem like the PL is as strong as once thought but it is February.
GreyingHound

Post by GreyingHound »

1766 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:24 pm I come in peace. Congratulations on your season thus far. Huge wins out of the gates should have the faithful humming.

I've not seen Loyola play much this year, which is to say, more than a few minutes of each game. Seems to be a number of old faces with a few new ones sprinkled in. What's Loyola doing this year that is leading to big wins so far? More to the point, what are the strengths of this years Greyhounds to date?

Welcome! My quick assessment, others may see it differently, is: Loyola is playing excellent defense and has an unselfish, balanced offense. The defense and goaltending have been off the charts in the first two games. This is clearly the strength of the team, and is the most experienced unit. There is no weakness on the defense among the close, SSDMs, and LSMs. There are a lot of new faces on offense, including multiple freshmen who are contributing. There appear to be 3 capable midfield lines. Finally, mistakes have been limited - not many unforced turnovers, failed clears, penalties, or mental mistakes, especially against MD. The biggest weakness so far has been faceoffs, and we've struggled with the 10-man ride late in games.

Looking forward to a great game on Saturday.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

GreyingHound wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 10:30 pm
1766 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 4:24 pm I come in peace. Congratulations on your season thus far. Huge wins out of the gates should have the faithful humming.

Welcome! My quick assessment, others may see it differently, is: Loyola is playing excellent defense and has an unselfish, balanced offense. The defense and goaltending have been off the charts in the first two games. This is clearly the strength of the team, and is the most experienced unit. There is no weakness on the defense among the close, SSDMs, and LSMs. There are a lot of new faces on offense, including multiple freshmen who are contributing. There appear to be 3 capable midfield lines. Finally, mistakes have been limited - not many unforced turnovers, failed clears, penalties, or mental mistakes, especially against MD. The biggest weakness so far has been faceoffs, and we've struggled with the 10-man ride late in games.

Looking forward to a great game on Saturday.
Add in the Loyola has absolutely stifled opponents' transition. Any team that runs its offense through their attack unit is going to have a bad day against Loyola. Forcing teams to constantly invert midfielders slows the game down, forces teams to rush against the shot clock, and gives Staudt the shots he wants to see. Of course, when the defense breaks down, he's made some ridiculous saves.

Conversely, if any opponent has weaknesses in their rope unit, prepare to get beat all over the place by Loyola's midfield. Getting Kaminsky back will make the attack unit sharper, but Loyola's midfield is legit.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”