Centennial Conference 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Leonard Washington

Re: Centennial Conference 2023

Post by Leonard Washington »

BallHunt wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:33 am Dickinson opener vs Stevens might be more interesting than the Red Devils expect. The Ducks put up 25 on Drew, who is clearly no Dickinson, but I'm wondering how that Stevens goal output translates for Saturday. I plan on being in Carlisle for that one.
Dickinson 16
Stevens 12
First of all, ya better check your tone. I dont think you know who you're talking to. I'm Leonard Washington...I don't get butt naked for nobody!!
westernbestern

Post by westernbestern »

secondarybreak wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 11:59 am Dickinson by 5
Haverford vs Cabrini- Cabrini by 12
-Ursinus vs Stevenson- Ursinus by 4
-Lebanon Valley vs F&M- F&M cruises
- Messiah vs McDaniel- Messiah by 4
-WAC vs Eastern- WAC by 7
-Gettysburg vs DeSales- Gettysburg cruises
-RIT vs Muhlenberg - RIT by 5
Dickinson 16 Stevens 10
Cabrini 17 Haverford 9
Ursinus 12 Stevenson 11
F&M 19 LVC 5
Messiah 12 McDaniel 10
WAC 14 Eastern 12
Gettysburg 19 Desales 9
RIT 16 Muhlenberg 9
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Wow. Lots of love for Ursinus. I’m not seeing it. Their aggressive schedule last year saw them lose to 7 of 8 ranked opponents, with the one win being by 1 goal over a very underwhelming F&M. Stevenson beat them by 8. I’m not keen on the Ursinus roster, was there significant gains over last year to warrant such a reversal?
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Laxguy703

Post by Laxguy703 »

Dickinson 15 Stevens 11 - A game that I believe will start out close, but Dickinson's goalie play and experience will play a role in running away with the game.
Cabrini 17 Haverford 8 - I just don't think Haverford has the talent to run with Cabrini this year.
Stevenson 14 Ursinus 10 - Stevenson brings back a ton of talent. If the goalie replacing Poust plays well, I expect them to win by a few.
F&M 20 LVC 6 - Honestly don't know much about this game
McDaniel 11 Messiah 8 - Messiah loses their 2 best players.
WAC 13 Eastern 12 - 2 middle of the pack D3 programs. Should be an entertaining game.
Gettysburg 18 Desales 6 - Statement game right out of the gate for Gettysburg. I expect starters pulled by middle of the 3rd quarter
RIT 18 Muhlenberg 8 - RIT might be just as good as last year.. Don't really see the Mules competing here
SpartanLaxFanatic

Post by SpartanLaxFanatic »

DeepPocket wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:03 pm Wow. Lots of love for Ursinus. I’m not seeing it. Their aggressive schedule last year saw them lose to 7 of 8 ranked opponents, with the one win being by 1 goal over a very underwhelming F&M. Stevenson beat them by 8. I’m not keen on the Ursinus roster, was there significant gains over last year to warrant such a reversal?
I think the thing you have to look at when considering both Ursinus and a bunch of the teams in this conference, is the lack of 5th years and how Covid affected CC programs compared to others. 6 games in both '20 and '21. That means that 2022 was the first full season for a majority of their rosters, while a majority of teams they faced out of conference had 5th/6th year guys in the non-conference. UC frankly had a loaded non-conference last year with SJF, CNU and RIT - were we truly expecting them to win those games? Blown out against CNU but lost to RIT by 6 and Fisher by 2. I think especially in the Centennial you saw teams get better as the season went on because players were actually getting game experience, teams like Ursinus and Gburg were completely different teams in May than they were even in March. Muhlenberg lost to DeSales last year and were one of the better teams in D3 at the end of the year. I think having a full year under their belt will help the programs in this conference. I have Stevenson winning but also think it's fair for some to be in on Ursinus after last season, 4th in CC and gave Devils all they could handle in the semis.

The partially unfrotunate part is that there's a lot of top programs that will have 5th and 6th years coming back both this year and next so I guess we will have to wait and see.
SixBySix

Post by SixBySix »

Pretty great first Saturday for the conference as a whole, especially for all the Muhlenberg truthers.
WashedUp06

Post by WashedUp06 »

Ursinus with a big win over Stevenson, Dickinson looking solid, and the MULES representing the CC well in the first weekend.

Few notes on the Muhlenberg game:
-They matched the physicality and speed of RIT well, RIT rarely was able to push in transition and couldn't find much separation from their defenders.
- RIT scored 4 of its 10 goals during a 3 minute unreleasable penalty (illegal stick)at the start of the 2nd quarter (Mules were up 4-1 at the time of the penalty)
- Mules were without their leading scorer/pre-season All-American mid (out due to lower body injury, but should return at some point)
- Mules defense/goalie came up HUGE multiple times at the end of reg. and in OT with massive Saves and CTO
- Mules need to sharpen up the clear and take advantage of their man-up opportunities - had multiple chances to win this one but couldnt execute when it mattered most

Though its a hard pill to swallow to start the season, taking the defending 2x champs and #1 team to 3OT is nothing to be ashamed of. Muhlenberg looks to be the part (for now) and should walk away with some confidence that they can compete with the best of the best after that performance. What a turn around for that team and what a job Plunket has done there in the past 7 years.

Small sample size, but the CC may be back to its depth of teams it had 10 years ago where there was ~5-6 playoff worthy teams each year.
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

What a great performance by the Mules!!! I had no idea an illegal stick was a 3 min unleasable penalty. Seems a little harsh but there is really no excuse for it, it's seems to have has a huge impact on the outcome.
Oracle of Lax

Post by Oracle of Lax »

Laxdds wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:35 pm What a great performance by the Mules!!! I had no idea an illegal stick was a 3 min unleasable penalty. Seems a little harsh but there is really no excuse for it, it's seems to have has a huge impact on the outcome.
Illegal deep pocket is 1 minute unreleaseable, anything else (e.g., ball doesn't come out of stick) is 3 minutes unreleasable
ergit

Post by ergit »

Muhlenberg played a great game, the D in particular. Mules played their game and at their speed, avoiding the horse race. Outside of the three minute penalty, they outscored RIT.
The difference in the game was that RIT took advantage of the penalty with four goals and had most of the possession in OT. It was one individual play that won it in the end. That was the difference. Championship teams often somehow find a way.
Tip of the hat to the Mules, the loss hurts but a great game to build on this season. If you recognize your own talent and play your asses off, you can beat anyone. That is something you can build on.
NElaxtalent

Post by NElaxtalent »

Laxdds wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 2:35 pm What a great performance by the Mules!!! I had no idea an illegal stick was a 3 min unleasable penalty. Seems a little harsh but there is really no excuse for it, it's seems to have has a huge impact on the outcome.
Lots of in-depth comments probably to come from others but if you are deemed to have intentionally altered the stick is 3 min (eg stick too short, head bakrd too pinched, and pull string) vs if the stick becomes illegal (eg pocket too deep, warped from FOs).

With the 3 min penalties, the stick is held at the scorers table and not returned during the game.
westernbestern

Post by westernbestern »

Overall good weekend for the conference. Did not get to watch any of the games, interested to hear any commentary on the Swat v Widener game and the WAC v Eastern game. Those are 2 teams that could maybe take a step up and make the 5 team tournament interesting. At the same time the performances from the top teams lead me to believe that may be easier said than done.

My midweek predictions:
Dickinson 21 v Susquehanna 6
F&M 16 v Messiah 9
Haverford 9 v Stevens 13
Swat 15 v Eastern 9
Ursinus 12 v York 13
BallHunt

Post by BallHunt »

Laxguy703 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:11 pm Dickinson 15 Stevens 11 - A game that I believe will start out close, but Dickinson's goalie play and experience will play a role in running away with the game.
Indeed, the Red Devils struggled on offense in the first half with a few freshmen getting the jitters out, and the Ducks getting some good looks from about 8 yards for goals. Mid 2nd period the Ducks called a timeout on their defensive end, then put in a zone D further complicating Dickinson's offense. Halftime the score was 5-4 Ducks, and it could have been worse if not for the FO possessions almost all in Dickinson's favor, and a few good saves (not sure why anyone shoots low on that kid).

The 2nd half saw the Red Devils get in gear offensively, breaking the zone D from the side, and creating good looks for hands-free shooting. That was all she wrote, game over.
poster formerly know as "wherestheslide"
ChopMan23

Post by ChopMan23 »

westernbestern wrote: Mon Feb 20, 2023 2:45 pm Overall good weekend for the conference. Did not get to watch any of the games, interested to hear any commentary on the Swat v Widener game and the WAC v Eastern game. Those are 2 teams that could maybe take a step up and make the 5 team tournament interesting. At the same time the performances from the top teams lead me to believe that may be easier said than done.

My midweek predictions:
Dickinson 21 v Susquehanna 6
F&M 16 v Messiah 9
Haverford 9 v Stevens 13
Swat 15 v Eastern 9
Ursinus 12 v York 13
WAC looked much improved from the 21 & 22 season. They were clearly the better team and played like it, once they got to a comfortable lead they did not let Eastern back in the game, something WAC has struggled to do over the last few years. I can see the Shoremen surprising a few teams and keeping some games close with better programs. #35 Connor Garrison looks to be their guy on offense. Injured his last two seasons but had a helluva debut (I think, at least as a starter) Saturday. Crafty, good stick, dodges hard, excited to see what he can do for this offense this year. I can't see a cc playoff appearance just yet but there will be a lot of fight in this young team.
ReturnOfTheWAC

Post by ReturnOfTheWAC »

Weeks predictions

Wednesday
Dickinson vs Susquehanna- Dickinson runs away from this one 20-8
F&M vs Messiah- This could be closer than expected but the Dips pull away late 15-10
Eastern vs Swat- The Garnett got a nice win on Saturday vs Widener, Eastern made it interesting vs WAC late. Swat 15-11
Haverford vs Stevens Tech- Rematch of last years upset. The Ducks take this personal 17-9
Ursinus vs York- This has to be the game of the (mid)week as a whole. York needs a win. Ursinus looking to make a statement. York 12-11

Friday

Muhlenberg vs Colorado College- My Mules almost pulled the upset. Better make sure all the sticks are legal for this game to avoid a 3 min non releasable. Mules 18-10

Saturday

Swat vs Vassar- Don't know much about Vassar but I have a feeling Swat wins easily 18-7
W&L vs WAC- Nice start for the Shoremen, im hoping for a close game but I have a feeling W&L is going to be tough to score on. W&L 14-6
Catholic vs F&M- Credit to Catholic for the difficult out of conference schedule. Dips light up the scoreboard after a lack luster mid week performance 19-10
Gettysburg vs Salisbury- Game of the week right here. The Gulls offense vs Gettysburg Defense. This game will comedown to which goalie plays better. Bullets 12-10
Haverford vs Mary Washington- This is going to be a competitive battle, Hoping Haverford can get one but I think Mary Washingtons offense is just to much. 16-9
McDaniel vs Lycoming- The scrappy Terror look to get into the win column. If they can figure out the faceoff dot this team is improved from last season. McDaniel 13-8

Sunday
Ursinus vs Colorado College- The Bears leave with unwanted parting gift loss. Ursinus 17-5
Dickinson vs Noke- The Devils carry their found offensive mojo right though Roanoke. Dickinson 18-12
secondarybreak

Post by secondarybreak »

Dickinson rolls past Susq by 17
F&M by 12
Stevens over Hav by 10. Stevens remembering last year, Hav still too young a squad
Swat by 9
York over Ursinus by 7

Centennial def loaded up in its top half. Expecting Gettysburg and Dickinson and Mules to be top 10, Ursinus to be top 15, F&M to be top 25.
SpartanLaxFanatic

Post by SpartanLaxFanatic »

Mid-Week Centennial Preview

Dickinson/Susquehenna - Don't think much needs to be said here, football score incoming. Devils 24 Susquehanna 7
F&M/Messiah - Messiah looks improved compared to last year. Won't help today. Dips 15 Messiah 8
Haverford/Stevens - Two teams coming off of tough losses to top 10 opponents. I think that Haverford lacks a good bit of talent, especially on the offensive end. Goalie play was significantly improved. Tietjen is clearly their best player as a frosh but outside of him I think they will struggle to score. I don't think Stevens is very good but they will win this one fairly easily. Stevens 13 Haverford 8
Swarthmore/Eastern - Interesting game to see coming off this weekend. Eastern lost to WAC but outplayed them in a lot of aspects, go look at the stats and watch some of the game if interested but game could've been closer. Here's the issue, Eastern might (definitely) has a goalie/defense issue - and the thing is, Swarthmore has one of the sneaky best offensive top 6's in the conference. Garnet 18 Eastern 11
York/Ursinus - Only game I got wrong last weekend, Ursinus looked very good in a lot of areas. They dominated at the X and will be facing a big step up tonight against York in that aspect. I actually think Stevenson might be more talented than York this year but York will no doubt be a bit more put together and disciplined. Early game that has sneaky MASSIVE Pool C implications especially if UC can pull it out. I say they do. Bears 12 York 10
AbeFroeman

Post by AbeFroeman »

SpartanLaxFanatic wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:17 pm Mid-Week Centennial Preview

Dickinson/Susquehenna - Don't think much needs to be said here, football score incoming. Devils 24 Susquehanna 7
F&M/Messiah - Messiah looks improved compared to last year. Won't help today. Dips 15 Messiah 8
Haverford/Stevens - Two teams coming off of tough losses to top 10 opponents. I think that Haverford lacks a good bit of talent, especially on the offensive end. Goalie play was significantly improved. Tietjen is clearly their best player as a frosh but outside of him I think they will struggle to score. I don't think Stevens is very good but they will win this one fairly easily. Stevens 13 Haverford 8
Swarthmore/Eastern - Interesting game to see coming off this weekend. Eastern lost to WAC but outplayed them in a lot of aspects, go look at the stats and watch some of the game if interested but game could've been closer. Here's the issue, Eastern might (definitely) has a goalie/defense issue - and the thing is, Swarthmore has one of the sneaky best offensive top 6's in the conference. Garnet 18 Eastern 11
York/Ursinus - Only game I got wrong last weekend, Ursinus looked very good in a lot of areas. They dominated at the X and will be facing a big step up tonight against York in that aspect. I actually think Stevenson might be more talented than York this year but York will no doubt be a bit more put together and disciplined. Early game that has sneaky MASSIVE Pool C implications especially if UC can pull it out. I say they do. Bears 12 York 10
I watched the Ursinus/Stevenson game. Stevenson didn’t seem to have a fogo. They went through several. Looked like they just added a long pole at x in the 4th. They had a few penalties from this which gave Ursinus multiple bonus possessions. Ursinus still only won 2/4 of faceoffs against a team that seemed to have given up by the 2nd half. I don’t see that happening against York. In fact, I would expect york to win 2/3 of the faceoffs.

With that advantage alone, I see York winning by 6 or 7.

Don’t expect York to make as many mental errors as they did in the 2nd half. I would expect a game tonight, more on par with the first half
LaxCrusader1

Post by LaxCrusader1 »

SpartanLaxFanatic wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 12:17 pm Dickinson/Susquehenna - Don't think much needs to be said here, football score incoming. Devils 24 Susquehanna 7
I guess 12-7 is still a football score. I don't know if this means Dickinson has some work to do, or if Susquehanna isn't getting the respect they might be due, either way a closer game than anyone was expecting!

Anyone know if Dickinson starters were pulled at some point?
JustOneTime

Post by JustOneTime »

Susquehanna goalie had 24 saves which kept the score line from getting ugly. The weather was not the best and mid week games are tough for the traveling team so Dickinson was a bit out of sorts. I suspect they will play well on Sunday vs Roanoke.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”