MD at Cuse, 2/17, 3 p.m.

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Laxfan500

Re: MD at Cuse, 2/17, 3 p.m.

Post by Laxfan500 »

UO22 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:03 am
Ketch wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:00 am
Lax101 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:52 am Agree officiating was not good. What shocked me more than anything else is that Cuse negated and completely outplayed MD in the four areas thought to be so strong and maybe even the best in the country ... they lit up there defense, lit up there goalie, dominated their draw girl, and dominated their best defender 1v1. Cuse zone also stymied MD's offense and took away their dodging ability. Still believe MD is much stronger than they showed yesterday.
I too believe that MD is better than they showed yesterday. But the game was played yesterday. No do overs, unless in the playoffs. I’d still take the Orange as the favorite.
MD is better than what they showed yesterday. CR is one of the best ever. This is a blip not the radar. 12 FP for MD and 0 for 'Cuse.. Wow - have to convert on them - and they will.

'Cuse along with other schools run a lot of players. CR traditionally does not. They are essentially becoming transfer U - will this impact recruiting?
It may be the case.... Clemson and other schools have plucked some solid players on MD. Some of these players probably would have gone to MD in the past.
Agree^ no-one benefited more from the McDonogh pipeline than MD. Now more of these kids and other talented kids from Maryland are going elsewhere.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Hats off to SU on a thorough trouncing. I was wrong and thought it would be closer. Hard to know how loss of Marge D affected the D unit, but ‘cuse did whatever they wanted offensively.

I’m not inclined to second guess one of the all-time great coaches, but some curious personnel decisions. I wonder if she is getting kids some experience in non-con game, or if they have depth concerns.

I've seen sicker dogs get well, but for now, I think Sunnylax said it best.
Sunnylax wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:17 am They looked like a very average D1 team.
Interested how this statement will be reflected in the rankings. Also looking forward to seeing how this SU group travels.
Kleizaster

Post by Kleizaster »

Laxfan500 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:57 am
UO22 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:03 am
Ketch wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:00 am
Lax101 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:52 am Agree officiating was not good. What shocked me more than anything else is that Cuse negated and completely outplayed MD in the four areas thought to be so strong and maybe even the best in the country ... they lit up there defense, lit up there goalie, dominated their draw girl, and dominated their best defender 1v1. Cuse zone also stymied MD's offense and took away their dodging ability. Still believe MD is much stronger than they showed yesterday.
I too believe that MD is better than they showed yesterday. But the game was played yesterday. No do overs, unless in the playoffs. I’d still take the Orange as the favorite.
MD is better than what they showed yesterday. CR is one of the best ever. This is a blip not the radar. 12 FP for MD and 0 for 'Cuse.. Wow - have to convert on them - and they will.

'Cuse along with other schools run a lot of players. CR traditionally does not. They are essentially becoming transfer U - will this impact recruiting?
It may be the case.... Clemson and other schools have plucked some solid players on MD. Some of these players probably would have gone to MD in the past.
Agree^ no-one benefited more from the McDonogh pipeline than MD. Now more of these kids and other talented kids from Maryland are going elsewhere.
This is a fact. This is in addition to losing some of the top girls to UNC and BC. Look It's still early but this is the get right season for Maryland. I've been saying this for awhile because the way UNC and BC are recruiting, they'll be loaded next few years. I've been hearing that right now UNC is the golden ticket for the top girls. UNC had a camp in December and another one this month and basically every top girl from the 2025 and 2026 class was there competing against eachother. They got tours of those nice facilities and lockerooms. so if you look at this game as one game then yes its not the end of the world. But bigger picture, taking into account last few years and recruting, then losses like this become more magnified.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

GratefulRed wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:15 pm I’m not inclined to second guess one of the all-time great coaches, but some curious personnel decisions. I wonder if she is getting kids some experience in non-con game, or if they have depth concerns.
It's quite possibly both. If I'm remembering correctly from what I've read, one thing Cathy Reese has been emphasizing is that they're trying to focus on the idea that every one of them can be a scoring threat.
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

For a coach that everyone says is one of the best ever, I am shocked that she never takes away the other teams best attacker. She let Tyrell run wild yesterday (11 points and the teams QB). Im a big fan of taking away the other teams biggest threat and making others beat you.
laxer12

Post by laxer12 »

Love how (besides loyal Cuse fan Dmac) there has been absolutely zero mention of Meaghan Tyrrell's phenomenal play in either this game or the Northwestern one. She had a total of 19 points in Syracuse's wins against two top 5 teams. And in both games, she was either face-guarded and/or marked by the opposing team's best defender and had double and triple teams thrown at her left & right and she was still able to just blow it out of the water with her stellar play. I just find it highly amusing how some of you posters on here don't view her as a top 5 player in the country.
8meterPA

Post by 8meterPA »

GratefulRed wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:15 pm Hats off to SU on a thorough trouncing. I was wrong and thought it would be closer. Hard to know how loss of Marge D affected the D unit, but ‘cuse did whatever they wanted offensively.

I’m not inclined to second guess one of the all-time great coaches, but some curious personnel decisions. I wonder if she is getting kids some experience in non-con game, or if they have depth concerns.

I've seen sicker dogs get well, but for now, I think Sunnylax said it best.
Sunnylax wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:17 am They looked like a very average D1 team.
Interested how this statement will be reflected in the rankings. Also looking forward to seeing how this SU group travels.
ditto - was pleasantly surprised how clean a game SYR played - reduced unforced turnovers, took care of the ball, solid goal tending and what looks to be the best attack in D1. MD looked like a deer in headlights.
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

laxer12 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:01 pm Love how (besides loyal Cuse fan Dmac) there has been absolutely zero mention of Meaghan Tyrrell's phenomenal play in either this game or the Northwestern one. She had a total of 19 points in Syracuse's wins against two top 5 teams. And in both games, she was either face-guarded and/or marked by the opposing team's best defender and had double and triple teams thrown at her left & right and she was still able to just blow it out of the water with her stellar play. I just find it highly amusing how some of you posters on here don't view her as a top 5 player in the country.
I don't think anyone denies that she's good. That she doesn't generate as much as excitement as other players isn't anyone's fault, though. Everyone's excited by different players for different reasons.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I don't know what brand yoga pants Maryland's assistant coach Alex Aust wears but whatever the brand they sure look to be good pants. That's the way I saw 'em anyway, then again, I don't know much about yoga pants.
Last edited by DMac on Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

If Cuse has figured out the goalie position....they could be really scary!
ultravisitor

Post by ultravisitor »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:35 pm I don't know what brand yoga pants Maryland's assistant coach Alex Aust wears but whatever the brand they sure look to be good pants. That's the way I saw 'em anyway, then again, I don't know much about yoga pants.
Who's the team's sponsor? That would be my first guess.
UO22

Post by UO22 »

This is a fact. This is in addition to losing some of the top girls to UNC and BC. Look It's still early but this is the get right season for Maryland. I've been saying this for awhile because the way UNC and BC are recruiting, they'll be loaded next few years. I've been hearing that right now UNC is the golden ticket for the top girls. UNC had a camp in December and another one this month and basically every top girl from the 2025 and 2026 class was there competing against eachother. They got tours of those nice facilities and lockerooms. so if you look at this game as one game then yes its not the end of the world. But bigger picture, taking into account last few years and recruting, then losses like this become more magnified.
[/quote]

Good points. UNC facilities are incredible. Clemson's future home looks amazing too. The investments that other schools are making or have made - make MD's facilities look primitive. It's great that these student athletes have great options.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

^^
UMD is Big Ten. We have the money to do whatever they want. Unc and BC are locked into the low rent ACC. They won’t ever catch UMD in nattys … end of story.
DMac

Post by DMac »

I doubt very much that any 16-17-18 year old potential recruit cares one iota about catching Md in nattys.
Bet they care about that nice facility in front of them right now though.
UO22

Post by UO22 »

Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:25 pm ^^
UMD is Big Ten. We have the money to do whatever they want. Unc and BC are locked into the low rent ACC. They won’t ever catch UMD in nattys … end of story.
Natty's never came up. MD is the standard hands down. Kids have more options now. That is a good thing. BC, NC and NW play a more appealing style of lax IMO, And some don't want play on a field hockey surface. End of story.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

UO22 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:37 pm
Essexfenwick wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:25 pm ^^
Natty's never came up. MD is the standard hands down. Kids have more options now. That is a good thing. BC, NC and NW play a more appealing style of lax IMO, And some don't want play on a field hockey surface. End of story.
UMD with #1 2021 and 2022 recruiting classes

BC and NW with Terp coaches. Of course they are attractive but still not UMD. If Cathy retired they would come home.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

DMac wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:35 pm I doubt very much that any 16-17-18 year old potential recruit cares one iota about catching Md in nattys.
Bet they care about that nice facility in front of them right now though.
Duke is terrible at basketball with their historic and vaunted UMD lacrosse level facilities.. lol
jff97

Post by jff97 »

Ignore Essex, he's a troll who's been suspended from this site multiple times. Re: facilities, the reason MD is playing at SECU Stadium this spring is because they're upgrading the building at the Field Hockey and Lacrosse Complex. Field will stay the same, but the building will be much better.
RollTheCrease

Post by RollTheCrease »

UO22 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:16 pm This is a fact. This is in addition to losing some of the top girls to UNC and BC. Look It's still early but this is the get right season for Maryland. I've been saying this for awhile because the way UNC and BC are recruiting, they'll be loaded next few years. I've been hearing that right now UNC is the golden ticket for the top girls. UNC had a camp in December and another one this month and basically every top girl from the 2025 and 2026 class was there competing against eachother. They got tours of those nice facilities and lockerooms. so if you look at this game as one game then yes its not the end of the world. But bigger picture, taking into account last few years and recruting, then losses like this become more magnified.
Good points. UNC facilities are incredible. Clemson's future home looks amazing too. The investments that other schools are making or have made - make MD's facilities look primitive. It's great that these student athletes have great options.
[/quote]

USF is building a new on-campus stadium that is being designed with input from the wlax program. It is supposed to be ready for the 2026 or 2027 season. The wlax program starts in 2025. The new facilities and Tampa will be an attractive combination.
Essexfenwick

Post by Essexfenwick »

RollTheCrease wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:45 pm
UO22 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:16 pm This is a fact. This is in addition to losing some of the top girls to UNC and BC. Look It's still early but this is the get right season for Maryland. I've been saying this for awhile because the way UNC and BC are recruiting, they'll be loaded next few years. I've been hearing that right now UNC is the golden ticket for the top girls. UNC had a camp in December and another one this month and basically every top girl from the 2025 and 2026 class was there competing against eachother. They got tours of those nice facilities and lockerooms. so if you look at this game as one game then yes its not the end of the world. But bigger picture, taking into account last few years and recruting, then losses like this become more magnified.
USF is building a new on-campus stadium that is being designed with input from the wlax program. It is supposed to be ready for the 2026 or 2027 season. The wlax program starts in 2025. The new facilities and Tampa will be an attractive combination.
[/quote]

Everybody has great facilities except UMD women’s lax (Old Bay Field), Cameron indoor , Boston Garden, Lambeau Field and Fenway Park.

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”