Georgetown 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HGK

Re: Georgetown 2023

Post by HGK »

Godine did not play. Agree that hurt. Georgetown 15-1 last year before he got hurt. Delaware and Hopkins losses since. Definitely a valuable player that will help a lot when back.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Georgetown drop to #12 in the IL Media poll.

A bit of an overreaction in my mind, but as Big U and HGK remind us, "don't tell me, show me". Good reminder that you aren't going to step on the field with better "talent" if you can't put it together as a team.

We've been talking about the offense a lot ... I think that will gel. More concerning is the defensive collapse in the 4th quarter. Lack of slides, missed assignments. Bowen was uncharacteristically quiet after a big hit in the 1st quarter. With three new faces on D mid (Reeves, Haus, and O'Reilly) plus a new keeper, it may take some time to gel on D also. Hopefully Godine will be back next weekend -- he's their best D mid and a senior leader.

On offense, would love to see more players involved and more assists -- only 5 point scorers, only 4 assists vs Hopkins. We also were not able to generate any transition offense. With two lines of O middies and 5 guys running SS D mid, we should have the gas to push the ball. I hope to see that improve.
HGK

Post by HGK »

I think Hoyas can be better off as the hunter than the hunted. No let up with Penn coming in on Saturday. Let’s hope they can work on the continuity this week and come out flying.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

rolldodge wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:56 am Georgetown drop to #12 in the IL Media poll.

A bit of an overreaction in my mind, but as Big U and HGK remind us, "don't tell me, show me". Good reminder that you aren't going to step on the field with better "talent" if you can't put it together as a team.

We've been talking about the offense a lot ... I think that will gel. More concerning is the defensive collapse in the 4th quarter. Lack of slides, missed assignments. Bowen was uncharacteristically quiet after a big hit in the 1st quarter. With three new faces on D mid (Reeves, Haus, and O'Reilly) plus a new keeper, it may take some time to gel on D also. Hopefully Godine will be back next weekend -- he's their best D mid and a senior leader.

On offense, would love to see more players involved and more assists -- only 5 point scorers, only 4 assists vs Hopkins. We also were not able to generate any transition offense. With two lines of O middies and 5 guys running SS D mid, we should have the gas to push the ball. I hope to see that improve.
An excellent point about the defense. GU lost 4 top level members of the defense in Smith, McElroy, Mazzone and Geddes. These guys played as a unit for 4+ years and each was a top player. Beyond the talent level the replacements have not played together, and Godine was also out vs. Hopkins. And Warne is developing depth at D midfield which was identified as a area of improvement this year. Hopefully it will come together sooner than later.
LaxtillIdrop

Post by LaxtillIdrop »

STAY AWAY FROM BLUE BIRDS

Blue Hens and Blue Jays
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

It appears that, like last year, Georgetown and other Big East games are being streamed by something called Flosports. Last year I took advantage of the month to month rate which, as I recall, was about $12.50/per and, as I had no interest in any of their other offerings, cancelled after the last G.U. game they showed.

This year it is not clear to me that the month to month option is available. I haven’t been able to access anything which would permit me to sign up for it although there may be one for $29.99/mo., an increase in excess of 200%. At that rate, if it can be accessed, you are paying some $13.for each of seven games. What they feature is an annual rate of $150. or $20.+ per game.

As much as I would like to watch these games principle alone prevents me from paying these rates.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

fordmaddoxford wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:46 pm It appears that, like last year, Georgetown and other Big East games are being streamed by something called Flosports. Last year I took advantage of the month to month rate which, as I recall, was about $12.50/per and, as I had no interest in any of their other offerings, cancelled after the last G.U. game they showed.

This year it is not clear to me that the month to month option is available. I haven’t been able to access anything which would permit me to sign up for it although there may be one for $29.99/mo., an increase in excess of 200%. At that rate, if it can be accessed, you are paying some $13.for each of seven games. What they feature is an annual rate of $150. or $20.+ per game.

As much as I would like to watch these games principle alone prevents me from paying these rates.
Flosports sucks. I don't know if they changed it, but last year they put misleading copy on the site that made you think you were signing up for $12.50 a month when you were buying the full year. I wish Gtown would reconsider this arrangement.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

rolldodge wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:01 pm
fordmaddoxford wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:46 pm It appears that, like last year, Georgetown and other Big East games are being streamed by something called Flosports. Last year I took advantage of the month to month rate which, as I recall, was about $12.50/per and, as I had no interest in any of their other offerings, cancelled after the last G.U. game they showed.

Flosports sucks. I don't know if they changed it, but last year they put misleading copy on the site that made you think you were signing up for $12.50 a month when you were buying the full year. I wish Gtown would reconsider this arrangement.
Looks like they changed it to allow an actual $12.50/mo plan?
Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 1.04.17 PM.png
Screenshot 2023-02-17 at 1.04.17 PM.png (86.85 KiB) Viewed 1044 times
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

I thought I was able to shut mine off last year in June,

probably they didn’t make it easy,
I’ll have to take another look, maybe I’m wrong.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

Nope, I’m wrong - they billed me to the end of the year. :oops:
fordmaddoxford

Post by fordmaddoxford »

I had no issue shutting it down last year. But I had gone in forewarned and was cautious. Their bad rep preceded them.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

A lot of room for improvement, to say the least.

The 3 returnees on O from last year look lost. Haley seems to have no role in this O and perhaps is hurt the most by the changes.
Dordevic holds the ball too long and there is no flow. And a new O coordinator on top of this is another hurdle.

On D, a ton of top level experience is gone, including the GB skills of Smith, Mazzone and Geddes.

Penn really did not play well and had a lot of sloppy and outright dumb TOs, especially in the second half, though GU did as well throughout.

If there is an upside, these were 2 1 goal losses (excluding the empty netter), so GU may be close to turning it around. Too early to tell, but not with ND and PU up next, this schedule is not one for integrating a lot of new guys and dealing with the loss of Phipps.
random observer

Post by random observer »

IMO the offense needs to be running through Bundy and Minicus. Dordevic isn't an inherently selfish player, but he's just not very good at keeping his head up and anticipating double teams. It led to a number of situations where he would draw a quick double team but not get the ball away before the second man was on him, and then he would have to run away from the pressure. It didn't cost Georgetown possessions, but it killed the flow and meant the Hoyas would have to start their attack from square one again. He really should be more of a secondary dodger rather than the party starter.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

You guys need to play Goldberg and Cesare!
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Mirror image of last years game. Penn goalie had 18 saves.

Defense looked much better in the second half. Aggressive double teams and caused turnovers.

Face offs and wing play not as strong as last year so far. Transition offense is completely absent. With Hess, Godine, and Leary this has got to improve. Missing Smith and Mazzone on ground balls. Hincks played well, but I feel like Scharfenberger could get 12 saves plus generate more transition.

Agree on Haley. He does not appear to have any role in this offense. I hope they find out how to use him but If your are not going to put him in a position to succeed, why have him out there? Especially with Kelly or Salomon available.

Dordevic, even on a couple of his goals, had a player wide open for a dunk.

The ball definitely did not bounce there way, and there were a number of wide open looks that the goalie made great saves on, so they are not far off. Need to find a sense of urgency and comraderie for this team.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

10stone5 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 1:20 pm Nope, I’m wrong - they billed me to the end of the year. :oops:
FloLive is a Texas scam.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Congrats to Patrick Crogan on his first collegiate goal. A nice take too.

Aidan Carrol looks good out there as well. Nice to see the development of some new faces. I think Jordan Wray also got some run.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

random observer wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:30 pm IMO the offense needs to be running through Bundy and Minicus. Dordevic isn't an inherently selfish player, but he's just not very good at keeping his head up and anticipating double teams. It led to a number of situations where he would draw a quick double team but not get the ball away before the second man was on him, and then he would have to run away from the pressure. It didn't cost Georgetown possessions, but it killed the flow and meant the Hoyas would have to start their attack from square one again. He really should be more of a secondary dodger rather than the party starter.
I agree. I think they should be setting Doredvic up for a step down shot or a secondary dodge from the wing.

Last year, a lot of the offense was initiated by Trippi. He would dodge and draw attention, then if he wasn’t able to get the shots himself, would bang the ball to Haley at X, who is adept at finding the next look for a shot. Often, this would be Bundy or Watson for a step down. If they are going to keep Haley in there, they have to find a way to get him into a similar role. I could see Minicus or Kelly or Salomon filling the Trippi role.

But that was a Phipps offense. Hogan might come up with another concept. So far, that concept is not clear.
Jldlax

Post by Jldlax »

rolldodge wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:32 am
random observer wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:30 pm IMO the offense needs to be running through Bundy and Minicus. Dordevic isn't an inherently selfish player, but he's just not very good at keeping his head up and anticipating double teams. It led to a number of situations where he would draw a quick double team but not get the ball away before the second man was on him, and then he would have to run away from the pressure. It didn't cost Georgetown possessions, but it killed the flow and meant the Hoyas would have to start their attack from square one again. He really should be more of a secondary dodger rather than the party starter.
I agree. I think they should be setting Doredvic up for a step down shot or a secondary dodge from the wing.

Last year, a lot of the offense was initiated by Trippi. He would dodge and draw attention, then if he wasn’t able to get the shots himself, would bang the ball to Haley at X, who is adept at finding the next look for a shot. Often, this would be Bundy or Watson for a step down. If they are going to keep Haley in there, they have to find a way to get him into a similar role. I could see Minicus or Kelly or Salomon filling the Trippi role.

But that was a Phipps offense. Hogan might come up with another concept. So far, that concept is not clear.
Putting in a new offense with 3 guys who are used to the old one and incorporating grad transfers and 3 freshmen is a heavy lift, especially with a strong early schedule.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Jldlax wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:50 am
rolldodge wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:32 am

Putting in a new offense with 3 guys who are used to the old one and incorporating grad transfers and 3 freshmen is a heavy lift, especially with a strong early schedule.
Hindsight is 20/20 but this problem should have been pretty obvious. Maybe change approach of having no fall scrimmages and having guys not practice with the team.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”