Hobart 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Laxbuck

Re: Hobart 2023

Post by Laxbuck »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:43 pm
Laxgunea wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:31 pm Regarding size, I heard Wimer mentioned in the podcast. I had thought he was a defensive middie, but per the podcast, he is essentially an offensive player who is retraining to play both ways. I've been impressed with his attitude and aggression, and he seems like a big guy ... must be 6'2'' at least.

Sounds like it will be a very tough challenge this weekend. Shea is injured and uncertain for tomorrow. It sounded like Dattillas is a last minute call too.
My understanding is Wimer was a strong scorer in HS. Hard to say he good it is but he was 43,28,71 his senior year at Monarch - https://www.maxpreps.com/co/louisville/ ... d0v61qqbj3

He was listed in HS as 6’1”, 195 and on our roster at 6’2”, 205

Then again Baltzer had 55g his senior year in CO and DiTomosso was about the same in IL in a strong Chicago land area. But he missed a full year and thinking he’s good enough to be o the field but needs to refine his game offensive game presuming he’s SSDM with green light in transition.
Stephen Dwyer, grad transfer from Wagner, is playing for St Joe’s. He would play at Hobart. Madonna transferred to an A-10 school. A lot of capable D3 guys looking to grad transfer. I just think it does put Hobart at a disadvantage.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Laxbuck wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:59 pm
Laxgunea wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:31 pm Regarding size, I heard Wimer mentioned in the podcast. I had thought he was a defensive middie, but per the podcast, he is essentially an offensive player who is retraining to play both ways. I've been impressed with his attitude and aggression, and he seems like a big guy ... must be 6'2'' at least.

Sounds like it will be a very tough challenge this weekend. Shea is injured and uncertain for tomorrow. It sounded like Dattillas is a last minute call too.
My understanding is Wimer was a strong scorer in HS. Hard to say he good it is but he was 43,28,71 his senior year at Monarch - https://www.maxpreps.com/co/louisville/ ... d0v61qqbj3

Then again Baltzer had 55g his senior year in CO and DiTomosso was about the same in IL in a strong Chicago land area. But he missed a full year and thinking he’s good enough to be o the field but needs to refine his game offensive game presuming he’s SSDM with green light in transition.
Stephen Dwyer, grad transfer from Wagner, is playing for St Joe’s. He would play at Hobart. Madonna transferred to an A-10 school. A lot of capable D3 guys looking to grad transfer. I just think it does put Hobart at a disadvantage.
You're correct that it is a disadvantage to a certain extent, but Coach Raymond has said over and over again that he wants Hobart guys playing for him. It's too bad that we lost Madonna, but you can't blame him for wanting to go and play with his brother.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbuck wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:59 pm

Wagner aint princeton which is the example you used. We’ve had this discussion. St Joes and Wagner and Hobart don’t have the same kids in general for whatever reason one might apply to that analysis. There’s almost no overlap. A kid in Staten Island wouldn’t know what to do in a landscape as bucolic as Geneva. Rastivo would never have gotten into Bart as an example. Wouldn’t touch LaCalandria either.

Madonnas younger brother is a starter and junior at Richmond. We had 5-6 renin last year (Mott, Archer, Dan Ryan, etc) and similar numbers this year. Madonna is a bad example because he wanted to play for one year with his younger brother.

Liberal Arts is a very different education. No useless undergrad business classes Etc. And getting an MBA, like I did a few years after college, without work experience is an absolute waste of time and money.

This year- 7 graduate students numerous starters including Simas, Christiansen and synnott, roster has 61 kids ok it already without taking any off the street

https://hwsathletics.com/sports/mens-la ... sort=class

Last year - 5 (archer, Mott, Ryan, Imburgia & Sherman- four starters)

https://hwsathletics.com/sports/mens-la ... sort=class
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Laxbuck

Post by Laxbuck »

If Hobart is so prestigious academically, which I am not disputing, why aren’t players transferring in to complete their eligibility? With such great academics and a bucolic setting I don’t see how the A-10 schools have any hope of competing for championships
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Laxbuck wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:13 am If Hobart is so prestigious academically, which I am not disputing, why aren’t players transferring in to complete their eligibility? With such great academics and a bucolic setting I don’t see how the A-10 schools have any hope of competing for championships
It's not a big transfer destination, isn't now and never has been. And I'm speaking academically as well as athletically. It's definitely not for everyone. Its pull for athletes initially has to be that they want a super small liberal arts school (with yes, very good academics, in my experience) that also happens to play DI lacrosse. To my knowledge no one else in DI lacrosse fits that profile. It's a unique niche. Tradition doesn't make you win these days, but the school also has a great tradition in lacrosse and cares about it. Strong alumni backing. Does the transfer portal hurt? Probably, but that's just the way it is and is going to be until they do away with the damned thing. Until then, we'll just play (win some, lose some) with Hobart guys. I'm good with that.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Laxbuck wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:13 am If Hobart is so prestigious academically, which I am not disputing, why aren’t players transferring in to complete their eligibility? With such great academics and a bucolic setting I don’t see how the A-10 schools have any hope of competing for championships
I expicitly avoided saying that but there are kids they don't waive the door open for. LaCalandria had issues at his prior school.

You keep making arguments that aren't germane to Hobart or grounded in fact when 5-7 kids on the roster of 61 have come back under grad programs the last two years. So throw kids off the team to take some grad student from Wagner or LIU, two programs we beat consistently? Or convince Pricneton kids that aren't going to grad school at SJU to come to Geneva? I don't understand the point you are making with grad transfers. It's college not the G League feeding into the NBA.

The biggest problem we had in the 2000s was Matt Kerwick waiving talented kids who weren't a good fit in. That led to the grandson of a board member dying from an Oxy overdose (Kim Kimber), massive outflow transfers who weren't playing immediately (see Jeff Ryan wanting Darryl Veltman's spot on the field) which for a tuition dependent school (like SJU) is a massive problem for managing the YOY budget and ultimately our prior AD panicking and making a poor and nationally embarrassing attempt to backdoor the program back to D3.

Understand the institution more if you want to make an argument about it. Or ask about the nature of the institution. An example would be not making a case based on Derrek Madonna going to Richmond and not being aware his brother started there last year and had 37pts as a Soph while ignoring all the grad students that have come back the last two years causing significant roster bloat as was pointed out within a page on this thread.
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ketch wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:37 am
It's not a big transfer destination, isn't now and never has been. And I'm speaking academically as well as athletically. It's definitely not for everyone. Its pull for athletes initially has to be that they want a super small liberal arts school (with yes, very good academics, in my experience) that also happens to play DI lacrosse. To my knowledge no one else in DI lacrosse fits that profile. It's a unique niche. Tradition doesn't make you win these days, but the school also has a great tradition in lacrosse and cares about it. Strong alumni backing. Does the transfer portal hurt? Probably, but that's just the way it is and is going to be until they do away with the damned thing. Until then, we'll just play (win some, lose some) with Hobart guys. I'm good with that.
Yes the D1 legacy of Hobart is having to punch above it's weight without shortcutting it's institutional mission or backdooring into some marginal success.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Staten Island, as someone who lived in Manhattan for years, is not desirable. It's basically a giant superfund site. Pataki even reopened Fresh Kills after 9/11.

Pete Davidson can describe it adequately.

https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/14622 ... c-cohn-and
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

We’re barely into the first year of A-10 play,

and already the intra-teams Two Minutes Hate has begun ??!!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:39 am We’re barely into the first year of A-10 play,

Both NEC team followers as well. So little legacy.

I just don’t see pounding the drum and making an argument with like 7% of the facts at hand without asking or inquiring further.

Started with “you guys could get princeton grad students with more masters programs” ignoring that Princeton kids aren’t matriculating in grad programs at any a10 school for a fifth lacrosse year, none of them.

Then “look you lost Derrek madonna because of grad programs” not even knowing his younger brother was a starter at Richmond and that we had 12 fifth year graduate kids and a roster of 61 right now.

Then we’ll what about Stephen Dwyer, a kid form a program as a school we never lost to and is an institution completely different from Hobart. Using St Joes as an example where I know enough background to know we couldn’t have ever taken in Rastivo, Hayes McGinley or LaCalandria who was in discussions w SJU at one point before OSU showed up and he had his own issues at LIU where we historically don’t even pull that many kids from the last two decades. None of it made sense but kept pushing the same argument despite all these facts and datapoint.

Matt Kerwick would’ve gone down that path and that’s why he got fired from Hobart, Georgetown and Cornell and is out of lacrosse now.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

BTW,

keep an eye on Matt Knote, he could be in line for a Sean Scanone
type season.
On no one’s list.

But McNaney is out, I know former NECer Will Mark is getting
lotsa love.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:40 am
10stone5 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:39 am We’re barely into the first year of A-10 play,

I just don’t see pounding the drum and making an argument with like 7% of the facts at hand without asking or inquiring further.

Started with “you guys could get princeton grad students with more masters programs” ignoring that Princeton kids aren’t matriculating in grad programs at any a10 school for a fifth lacrosse year, none of them.

Then “look you lost Derrek madonna because of grad programs” not even knowing his younger brother was a starter at Richmond and that we had 12 fifth year graduate kids and a roster of 61 right now.

Then we’ll what about Stephen Dwyer, a kid form a program as a school we never lost to and is an institution completely different from Hobart. Using St Joes as an example where I know enough background to know we couldn’t have ever taken in Rastivo, Hayes McGinley or LaCalandria who was in discussions w SJU at one point before OSU showed up and he had his own issues at LIU where we historically don’t even pull that many kids from the last two decades. None of it made sense but kept pushing the same argument despite all these facts and datapoint.

Matt Kerwick would’ve gone down that path and that’s why he got fired from Hobart, Georgetown and Cornell and is out of lacrosse now.
FFG, you should not go picking fights, and I would especially not quibble with St. Joe's. They are going to finish in the Top 10 this year (that's my opinion anyway). Just focus on our team. That's enough.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

10stone5 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:54 am BTW,

keep an eye on Matt Knote, he could be in line for a Sean Scanone
type season.
On no one’s list.

But McNaney is out, I know former NECer Will Mark is getting
lotsa love.
Mark is excellent but he still needs the Cuse D to be there though they look like they will this season vs last year. We played them to a shootout last year dropping 20+ on Mark so he can have off days as well. An AA no doubt.

I’m calling it now that while he’s not starting yet our FR from NJ will be a stud goalie in the league. South Jersey so understand skepticism of him (and our FY FO Schoefield I’m high on as well) but you may get to know that name.

Ellis (Elhanan) Wilson-https://highschoolsports.nj.com/player/ ... /2021-2022

https://hwsathletics.com/sports/mens-la ... lson/20091
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Ketch wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:03 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:40 am

FFG, you should not go picking fights, and I would especially not quibble with St. Joe's. They are going to finish in the Top 10 this year (that's my opinion anyway). Just focus on our team. That's enough.
Trying to correct bad information and suppositions driven off that.

Assuming every institution is the same and making an argument and tossing out bad examples is picking a fight to me. We’re shrinking our enrollment, rolling back the growth from the Gregory stretch so jamming in a athlete who has no other purpose on campus as suggested runs counter to the goals of the institution and Raymond’s stated interest in running the program. Would you prefer we roll out five new useless grad programs to waive in marginal students who we can rent for a year but potentially ruin the culture? I mean Jason Knox didn’t leave just because of competitive considerations. He brought down our 2021 season. You want him back knowing that?

Right now I’m setting up ESPN+ to watch the game at noon though.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Simas wants this. 2 goals in half a quarter. He’s a 5th year grad student ironically.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Grad student with a first half hat trick…
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

If Hobart still had the strong Fraternity system with the beer parties every Saturday night, "The transfers will come". Hey, when Hobart was on top that's what existed.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Delano jumping jas high as he could to cheat bump Ward was excellent!

5’7” and 6’5”
Last edited by Farfromgeneva on Sat Feb 18, 2023 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Laxgunea

Post by Laxgunea »

Just change the drinking age to 18 and turn back the clock .... on second thought, no thanks.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Our kids have been hung 3x already at the cage. Worries about that.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”