Loyola Greyhounds 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
GreyingHound

Re: Loyola Greyhounds 2023

Post by GreyingHound »

Formerhound wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:31 pm What really impressed me about yesterday was Toomey’s willingness to play freshmen. Minicus is a normal starter. With Kamish out with a Hamstring injury Toomey went with Freshman Haberman over more experienced attack guys. Haberman came through with two goals and two huge ground balls. Minicus added two goals. Last year Toomey refused to play freshmen who SHOULD have been playing over guys who didn’t produce. Good coaches learn from their mistakes.
LOL. I can't tell if this post is satire or not, but let's assume for a moment that Formerhound is suggesting that Coach Toomey, in his 18th season and after winning a National Championship, has just learned that playing freshmen is a viable option. OK, sure. That's plausible. But tell me, were Minicus or Haberman on the roster last year? No, I didn't think so. And last year's freshmen, who are now sophomores, how many of them played on Saturday? Exactly.

It appears that another valid hypothesis is that there were no freshmen worthy of playing last year, whereas this year's freshman class is stronger.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

LOL. I played for Charlie and Van. I love both of them. Just think last year they were coming off an almost final four appearance and relied on certain guys too much. This year they seem, in my mind and from guys who were in last years locker room, to have a different perspective. Great coaches learn every day. I think Loyola staff is second to none. Doesn’t mean criticism is wrong or bad. . Last years freshman class didn’t get play time. There are only 6 guys left from that class. Two are out for the season injured. One is playing LSM and had a great game yesterday. That class has some talent. This year’s freshman class is stacked. Looking forward to this weekends game.
Houndfan73

Post by Houndfan73 »

GreyingHound wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:00 am
Formerhound wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 3:31 pm What really impressed me about yesterday was Toomey’s willingness to play freshmen. Minicus is a normal starter. With Kamish out with a Hamstring injury Toomey went with Freshman Haberman over more experienced attack guys. Haberman came through with two goals and two huge ground balls. Minicus added two goals. Last year Toomey refused to play freshmen who SHOULD have been playing over guys who didn’t produce. Good coaches learn from their mistakes.
LOL. I can't tell if this post is satire or not, but let's assume for a moment that Formerhound is suggesting that Coach Toomey, in his 18th season and after winning a National Championship, has just learned that playing freshmen is a viable option. OK, sure. That's plausible. But tell me, were Minicus or Haberman on the roster last year? No, I didn't think so. And last year's freshmen, who are now sophomores, how many of them played on Saturday? Exactly.

It appears that another valid hypothesis is that there were no freshmen worthy of playing last year, whereas this year's freshman class is stronger.
Yeah pretty sure Potrias, James, Kamish and Higgins played plenty as freshman. A dumb post for sure.
molo

Post by molo »

I imagine quite a few Hounds fans make the short walk to Homewood today to get a live look at Saturday's opponent.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

No need, ESPNU
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

molo wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 11:31 am I imagine quite a few Hounds fans make the short walk to Homewood today to get a live look at Saturday's opponent.
5pm isn't exactly a fan friendly time. I'd go otherwise.

It's annoying to me that they do that. If you want people to take the sport seriously you have to act like you're a serious sport. A 5pm weeknight game between two of the most visible programs isn't doing that, nor is the 4pm faceoff Hop has against UVA coming up. Loyola-Towson starting at 6 is only slightly better.

Baltimore might be a "hot bed" but lacrosse is still a niche sport here and if you want people to become fans you have to show it and give them the opportunities.
BlueJaySince1947

Post by BlueJaySince1947 »

TV now rules lacrosse... period.
kramerica.inc

Post by kramerica.inc »

Houndfan73 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:10 pm

Yeah pretty sure Potrias, James, Kamish and Higgins played plenty as freshman. A dumb post for sure.
And its important to note, that the current sophomore class were HS Juniors during the pandemic. JR year in HS year is critical in a players development and physical growth. Additionally those kids were recruited to Loyola based on less tangible "information" and more on potential and recommendations. I'm confident they will make impact, they just need a little more time on the practice field.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Blue Jays are coming to town … uh, ya know what I mean.

Predictions?

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:43 pm Blue Jays are coming to town … uh, ya know what I mean.

Predictions?

DocBarrister 8-)
Was at the Hopkins/UNC game Tuesday night. What surprised me was the lack of speed on Hopkins defense and the inability of their offense to generate shots in the second half. I think Hounds win by 4-5 goals. Pochecko should be much better v Hopking FOGO who is marginal at best. Should give offense more possession time and more shots. Love how their offense moved the ball and used their speed to get quality shots v McNaney last week. Wonder if Kamish plays with his hamstring issue. He plays up top on man up and is really their only range shooter. Can’t see Hopkins offense doing much v Wyers, Hughes, Bean and crew.
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

Formerhound wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:21 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:43 pm Blue Jays are coming to town … uh, ya know what I mean.

Predictions?

DocBarrister 8-)
Was at the Hopkins/UNC game Tuesday night. What surprised me was the lack of speed on Hopkins defense and the inability of their offense to generate shots in the second half. I think Hounds win by 4-5 goals. Pochecko should be much better v Hopking FOGO who is marginal at best. Should give offense more possession time and more shots. Love how their offense moved the ball and used their speed to get quality shots v McNaney last week. Wonder if Kamish plays with his hamstring issue. He plays up top on man up and is really their only range shooter. Can’t see Hopkins offense doing much v Wyers, Hughes, Bean and crew.
What shocked me the most was that Hopkins was out coached and out played. Short time to prepare for Loyola. What concerns me is our FOGOs against Hopkins. I do believe that Wyers et al will be fine. We will have to be as efficient as we were last weekend with our shots.

Doc what is your prediction?
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

There is a little bit of sarcasm and truth. Toomey played the players that earned the spot in practice and in scrimmages. Not just based on pedigree or expectations. You have to admit that some players last year should not have been on the field
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

laxbro11 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:24 pm

Predictions?

DocBarrister 8-)
What shocked me the most was that Hopkins was out coached and out played. Short time to prepare for Loyola. What concerns me is our FOGOs against Hopkins. I do believe that Wyers et al will be fine. We will have to be as efficient as we were last weekend with our shots.

Wild guess … 12-11 Hopkins. Marcille will need to make 15+ saves to win this one.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
laxbro11

Post by laxbro11 »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:57 pm
laxbro11 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:24 pm

Predictions?

DocBarrister 8-)

Wild guess … 12-11 Hopkins. Marcille will need to make 15+ saves to win this one.

DocBarrister
I will agree it will be a close one and it will come down to who has the ball last!
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

Predictions?

DocBarrister 8-)
I really think Loyola should win. It's one game but that game looked exactly how I was hoping it would look. The pieces fit together better on offense and the defense can play more soundly when they have confidence in the goalie making the saves he should make. Last year in this game Loyola fell mostly because they couldn't get saves. So I think they should win if that can be different but it isn't so clear that they definitely will.
houndace1

Post by houndace1 »

Does anyone know if Ridley allows backpacks/food in?

Is there a spectator/fan policy online that we can read to double check procedures. Haven’t been back to an on campus game in a couple years
Loyola '18
A.M.D.G
molo

Post by molo »

I don’t think they do. I know you can’t tailgate although draining a quick can in the lot us always an option.
I predicted Hopkins 13-11 over GT. Loyola looked pretty formidable against Maryland. Hopkins looked good for a half versus the Heels. Leaning towards the visitors in a close one, maybe 11-9.
Formerhound

Post by Formerhound »

houndace1 wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:17 pm Does anyone know if Ridley allows backpacks/food in?

Is there a spectator/fan policy online that we can read to double check procedures. Haven’t been back to an on campus game in a couple years
No backpacks allowed. Tailgating now legal in designated area next to field. Opens at 11:00.
Mr3Putt

Post by Mr3Putt »

molo wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:24 pm I don’t think they do. I know you can’t tailgate although draining a quick can in the lot us always an option.
I predicted Hopkins 13-11 over GT. Loyola looked pretty formidable against Maryland. Hopkins looked good for a half versus the Heels. Leaning towards the visitors in a close one, maybe 11-9.
14-9 Loyola. I see the staff @ Loyola having a look at personnel and making adjustments . The lacrosse world has to ask is GT that good. And the goalie needs time.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

We need Poitras to rock their world. For the good of the fantasy gods.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”