All Things Russia & Ukraine

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
lagerhead

Re: All Things Russia & Ukraine

Post by lagerhead »

a fan wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:49 pm The weak and woke all have degrees, OS. Why do you think all this woke stuff keeps happening at Elite Universities? They're not weak---they're flush with cash, and have health insurance and good jobs, as did most of their parents. The "weak" are those that have neither good jobs nor insurance. And they're largely in flyover America, as you know. So my question stands: what's the plan for working class America? You're being snide here, and don't have an answer
Don't coun
lagerhead wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:44 pm Why the need for student loan forgiveness?
You're asking me? There wasn't one. Stupid idea that doesn't fix the underlying problems with American education/training. Said so at the time.

We also didn't "need' the Trump Tax cuts. And we didn't "need" Biden to keep them in place.

And yet.....we got 'em.

If I were king? I'd take that same money and plow it into vocational training schollies. Want to weld, plumb, code, build homes? Great! Here's your scholarship, and we're moving our Community College's offerings to get you that training locally.
Yep. Respect your dialogue but parsing paragraphs can be confusing. I agree 100% fix the cost problem, billions in endowments. Trump tax cuts included SALT, keep that, my state should fix their own problems, I got creamed. I’m good with that. I’ll be retiring elsewhere, probably your state.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:18 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:22 pm My parents didn't pay any attention to the hippies. Didn't notice or comment on the massive social change that bothers you so much? They didn't notice?
I left home in June '66. Was only home on leave, max 6 wks/year. Hometown was not a liberal hotbed. They chuckled & got on with life.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:09 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:22 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:29 am Old Segregationist uses the term “woke” more than anyone on this site and more than anyone I have ever met. Most people bring it up here in response to Old Segregationist’s posts. Most….not all but most.
Get used to it. In addition to DeSantis, Nikki Haley's tag line is "weak & woke".
She's referring to you when she describes the wave of self-loathing sweeping the country.
It doesn’t bother me, Old Snake.
You don’t look like this guy…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d7pioagkX5k
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:29 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:09 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 5:22 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:29 am Old Segregationist uses the term “woke” more than anyone on this site and more than anyone I have ever met. Most people bring it up here in response to Old Segregationist’s posts. Most….not all but most.
Get used to it. In addition to DeSantis, Nikki Haley's tag line is "weak & woke".
She's referring to you when she describes the wave of self-loathing sweeping the country.
It doesn’t bother me, Old Snake.
You don’t look like this guy…

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=d7pioagkX5k
Silas! The book was good.
“I wish you would!”
Typical Lax Dad

“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

lagerhead wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:00 pm Trump tax cuts included SALT, keep that, my state should fix their own problems
I'm ok with the SALT in principle...the problem with it as it stands is that each State doesn't get anywhere close to the same money from the Federal Government. Level that, or somewhere close? The change in how SALT is deducted makes perfect sense. +1

My larger issue with the Trump tax cut is the corporate tax giveaway...where Multinational Corporations pay a fraction of the taxes my family owned business does. So I'm left to keep the lights on, while Amazon skates paying nothing.

And no, Trump wasn't 100% the reason for that...and yep, Biden didn't repeal them. This is a Bi Partisan giveaway.
youthathletics

Post by youthathletics »

wonder of Russia has a train derailment problem.
A fraudulent intent, however carefully concealed at the outset, will generally, in the end, betray itself.
~Livy

“There are two ways to be fooled. One is to believe what isn’t true; the other is to refuse to believe what is true.” -Soren Kierkegaard
Typical Lax Dad

youthathletics wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:57 pm
:lol: :lol: :lol:
“I wish you would!”
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:44 pm
lagerhead wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:00 pm Trump tax cuts included SALT, keep that, my state should fix their own problems
I'm ok with the SALT in principle...the problem with it as it stands is that each State doesn't get anywhere close to the same money from the Federal Government. Level that, or somewhere close? The change in how SALT is deducted makes perfect sense. +1

My larger issue with the Trump tax cut is the corporate tax giveaway...where Multinational Corporations pay a fraction of the taxes my family owned business does. So I'm left to keep the lights on, while Amazon skates paying nothing.

And no, Trump wasn't 100% the reason for that...and yep, Biden didn't repeal them. This is a Bi Partisan giveaway.
Fng around w SALT caps as a political weapon and not touching carries interest is a joke and I’m trying to get a carry on a credit risk transfer deal currently but I’d gladly pay income tax on it even though I’d be upside down on cash flow for 1-3yrs by paying in without having the earnings paid out to me for a while.
lagerhead

Post by lagerhead »

When you boil SALT down it’s a mutualism of risk from wealthy states to fly over states. Why should CA get to spend more in state education and healthcare then deduct it from fed taxes. Shouldn’t fed taxes be the same for all?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

lagerhead wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:17 pm

When you boil SALT down it’s a mutualism of risk from wealthy states to fly over states. Why should CA get to spend more in state education and healthcare then deduct it from fed taxes. Shouldn’t fed taxes be the same for all?
Corn and sugar subsidies to FL, TX, IA etc? Fannie, Freddie and Ginnie subsidies for disproportionately to fly over states. The list is long.

Net transfer payments across the board are going to fly over states not the other way around.
a fan

Post by a fan »

You need to look at the other side of the ledger....how much money is California sending to DC, versus, say, Arkansas?

And yet how much money is flowing from Federal coffers back to California versus Arkansas?

FFG is correct...the list of the stuff that flyover States (Colorado has finally pulled even, last I checked, after decades of taking more than we give to the Federal Government) gets from the Federal Government that they don't pay for is a loooooong list.

If you want all 50 States to pay in $1 to the Federal Government for every $.90 they get out (overhead)....think about what that would do.

Texas? They be in great shape. California, too. Now how about Kentucky, W Virginia, Alabama, Alaska.......?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

The Trump tax “cut” changes to the SALT deduction basically raised my federal income taxes by more than $30,000 a year.

That basically went to bastards like Elon Musk while entire states like Arkansas and Alabama freeloaded off California.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:48 pm

You need to look at the other side of the ledger....how much money is California sending to DC, versus, say, Arkansas?

And yet how much money is flowing from Federal coffers back to California versus Arkansas?

FFG is correct...the list of the stuff that flyover States (Colorado has finally pulled even, last I checked, after decades of taking more than we give to the Federal Government) gets from the Federal Government that they don't pay for is a loooooong list.

If you want all 50 States to pay in $1 to the Federal Government for every $.90 they get out (overhead)....think about what that would do.

Texas? They be in great shape. California, too. Now how about Kentucky, W Virginia, Alabama, Alaska.......?
You think a bureaucratic S,G&A would be 10%????
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DocBarrister wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 12:23 am

The Trump tax “cut” changes to the SALT deduction basically raised my federal income taxes by more than $30,000 a year.

That basically went to bastards like Elon Musk while entire states like Arkansas and Alabama freeloaded off California.

DocBarrister
We probably need to add Vermont and NH in there as well.
Kismet

Post by Kismet »

https://www.rferl.org/a/russia-ukraine- ... 75740.html

Good analysis by Mike Eckel at Radio Free Europe/Liberty

How Did Everybody Get The Ukraine Invasion Predictions So Wrong?
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:22 am
:lol: Trying to simplify the conversation and math. I love that this is your wheelhouse, and you don't tolerate inexactitude.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:33 am
:lol: Trying to simplify the conversation and math. I love that this is your wheelhouse, and you don't tolerate inexactitude.
I get my income and fees questioned every day so I find all fat around me that could be trimmed to be personally offensive.

(just got pushback from a accountant, glorified controller CFO, where the CEO told me to do this work which I gave them a $17,500 quote for this week which had me turn to tell the CEO he needs to put his CFO in check)
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

youthathletics wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:57 pm
Just stay off the Kerch Strait rail crossing.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."
PizzaSnake

Post by PizzaSnake »

a fan wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:33 am
Apropos of nothing in particular, measurement is just a greater exactitude of imprecision.
"There is nothing more difficult and more dangerous to carry through than initiating changes. One makes enemies of those who prospered under the old order, and only lukewarm support from those who would prosper under the new."

Return to “POLITICS”