Bart wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2023 12:30 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 1:22 pm
Bart wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 12:07 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Sat Jan 14, 2023 11:46 am
madlaxer59 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:37 pm
laxer12 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 8:22 pm
Bart wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 6:28 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:23 pm
laxer12 wrote: Fri Jan 13, 2023 5:04 pm https://www.usalaxmagazine.com/college/ ... -superstar

Great article about my favorite, most underrated player.
Nice article; thanks for posting it. Her steady excellence, game in and game out, is what I will remember about her in the years to come.
Agreed, a nice article for a really good player. I am wondering how a 2X first team AA (IWLCA) Tewaaaraton finalist and preseason player of the year is underrated? Perhaps by some here? Don't see her as underrated. She has been one of the best players for several years.

Just curious as to why you think she is underrated laxer12?
Comments like the one below yours for example lol. Posters on here conjuring up any lazily nit-picked, misinformed, contrarian reason to dismiss her as not an elite player. "It's not hard to be an elite attacker when you've been playing the position for so long." Um, what? Countless athletes (not just lax players obviously) play sports from a very young age and if they're very good at one of those sports in particular, they stick with that sport (specialize in it), and if (big IF) they're "elite" enough, they make it to the highest level of said sport and just maybe, might win some major awards along the way.

I also remember posters on here saying she didn't deserve to be a tewaaraton finalist last year even though she put up similar (or better) offensive numbers than the other attackers she was up against. And I still don't think she gets enough credit for being able to do what she has done considering the massive injuries that have plagued Syracuse on the offensive end for the last two seasons.

So I guess I'm really just referring to posters on here (although I definitely think she was snubbed, not being named a finalist in 2021) when I say that she's been very underrated and unappreciated. In my eyes, she's one of the most skilled, high-IQ, deadly efficient lacrosse players I've ever seen play. Coach Treanor put it best when she stated, "The only player I've ever seen that is like her, is Katie Rowan, where it's like, 'She just had seven goals. How did that happen?'"
Not lazy or misinformed. If you play in the small area ie low attack for example...for years you are logically going to get very good. You are choosing to miss the point. Never said anything about other sports (? what?) lol
I don’t agree with this. An analogy would be saying it’s logical that someone who only plays one sport forever has an easier glide path to the top of the elite cohort rather than one who plays multiple sports and cross disciplined. Understanding a position is enhanced by having experiences in the other positions around it. The opposite of your assertion.
If that were the case then the majority of top flight players in the game would be single sport athletes. Is that the case? I do not think it is.
That’s what I’m saying. Cross training makes excellence in any one domain easier/more likely. We saw what happened in the last twenty years to singularly focused kids. All for the sake of getting into a top college.

But that’s the corollary to the argument that it’s easier for someone who only plays one position their whole life. Reality is someone who played attack, mid, goalie etc understands the function of the attack position innately in ways a singularly focused attack would not as well.
I misunderstood.
Maybe I wasn’t clear but we are on the same page
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
ultravisitor

Re: Syracuse

Post by ultravisitor »

Syracuse continues with the injuries: Abigail Lagos is out for the season.

https://twitter.com/meghan_curtis_/stat ... 11232?s=20
cltlax

Post by cltlax »

ultravisitor wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 8:59 am Syracuse continues with the injuries: Abigail Lagos is out for the season.

https://twitter.com/meghan_curtis_/stat ... 11232?s=20
I ask this with no agenda, just pure curiosity: Is there something going on at Syracuse that is leading to so many injuries? Seems like a ton over the last few years.
hsllax

Post by hsllax »

With no evidence, I have observed that you seem to see a higher rate of ACL tears and lower body injuries on certain turfs (location, not type) particularly in the first few years of that turf. I’ve wondered if it’s due to how it’s laid, surface tension etc. Again, no evidence but 25+ years around the sport playing and coaching at the highest levels.

ACL tears happen regardless and turf is expensive so a handful of female athletes getting injured isn’t going to make a school make changes.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Horrible news for Lagos.
Also anecdotally (correct me if I'm wrong), I believe Manley Fieldhouse on SU campus was notorious. I don't know how that facility is currently being used nor its state of repair.
Bart

Post by Bart »

GratefulRed wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:08 am Horrible news for Lagos.
Also anecdotally (correct me if I'm wrong), I believe Manley Fieldhouse on SU campus was notorious. I don't know how that facility is currently being used nor its state of repair.
I would think they’re in Ensly(sp?).

I heard this a bit ago. Sorry to hear it. Was hoping to see just how well she contributed.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Don't know what's going on with the bookkeepers, but if you're interested in seeing how the team is doing in DCs or how any individual player is doing, good luck wif dat. If you go to the box score on Cuse's schedule you'll see the draws listed as FO and you'll get nothing but zeros across the board both as a team and with the individual stats. This is the case with both the NU and Md games. Of course you can go to the Md and NU schedules if you're still curious but you're going to get the same thing there. WTH?? Got no idea what's going on with that because you do get the stats for the Binghamton game.
Of course Mashewske is the main force out there but Goodale is doing an outstanding job coming in from the circle too. Wanted to see how many DCs she came up with in the NU and Md games but that aint gonna happen. She had 7 v Binghamton and she's good at getting out of there with the ball when she comes up with it too. She's been a pretty valuable asset to this team. Nat Smith is another one who is pretty good from the circle. Stats show her as coming up with one v Binghamton but I'd bet she came up with two, she came up with some in both the MD and NU games too. She can get herself in a bit of trouble coming out of there but across the board the little speedster does a pretty darn good job.
Was glad to see Markey get her first goal in the Binghamton game, she was having some tough luck with the pipes and GKs prior to that. Really sweet play too, was glad to see the pass come back to her from ET (pretty sure) after she dished it to her and kept on blazing to the goal. Text book with finish and all.
jff97

Post by jff97 »

DMac wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:18 am Don't know what's going on with the bookkeepers, but if you're interested in seeing how the team is doing in DCs or how any individual player is doing, good luck wif dat. If you go to the box score on Cuse's schedule you'll see the draws listed as FO and you'll get nothing but zeros across the board both as a team and with the individual stats. This is the case with both the NU and Md games. Of course you can go to the Md and NU schedules if you're still curious but you're going to get the same thing there. WTH?? Got no idea what's going on with that because you do get the stats for the Binghamton game.
Of course Mashewske is the main force out there but Goodale is doing an outstanding job coming in from the circle too. Wanted to see how many DCs she came up with in the NU and Md games but that aint gonna happen. She had 7 v Binghamton and she's good at getting out of there with the ball when she comes up with it too. She's been a pretty valuable asset to this team. Nat Smith is another one who is pretty good from the circle. Stats show her as coming up with one v Binghamton but I'd bet she came up with two, she came up with some in both the MD and NU games too. She can get herself in a bit of trouble coming out of there but across the board the little speedster does a pretty darn good job.
Was glad to see Markey get her first goal in the Binghamton game, she was having some tough luck with the pipes and GKs prior to that. Really sweet play too, was glad to see the pass come back to her from ET (pretty sure) after she dished it to her and kept on blazing to the goal. Text book with finish and all.
Cuse won DCs yesterday 16-13 according to the Inside Lacrosse scoreboard. Mashewske had 8 and Goodale had 7.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

jff97 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:13 am
DMac wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 8:18 am Don't know what's going on with the bookkeepers, but if you're interested in seeing how the team is doing in DCs or how any individual player is doing, good luck wif dat. If you go to the box score on Cuse's schedule you'll see the draws listed as FO and you'll get nothing but zeros across the board both as a team and with the individual stats. This is the case with both the NU and Md games. Of course you can go to the Md and NU schedules if you're still curious but you're going to get the same thing there. WTH?? Got no idea what's going on with that because you do get the stats for the Binghamton game.
Cuse won DCs yesterday 16-13 according to the Inside Lacrosse scoreboard. Mashewske had 8 and Goodale had 7.
Syracuse Team FO stats per LacrosseReference ('23 season)
Raw FO% -- 46.4%
Opponent Adj FO% -- 52.9%

Another crazy stat on the same site shows SU at -19 possession differential on the season. Their production/success with that possession deficit is mindboggling!
DMac

Post by DMac »

jff97 wrote: Tue Feb 21, 2023 9:13 am
Yup, thanks, saw that. Bing won 5-6 in a row when Mashewske went out, those numbers are actually a bit deceiving, Cuse dominated the draws for most of the game. Actually think the draws in the NU game were 23-11 NU, Samantha Smith for NU came up with 9 of those....and that girl can flat out fly!!!! Got no idea what they were in the Md game, was kind of interested in seeing the individual stats in those two games but not the end of the world.
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

Binghamton is much improved. With Stony Brook out of the AE, I can see them playing for the AQ this year. Seems like Albany is down again and UVM is not as strong as they were last year.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Last year there was someone on here screaming about the Sweitzer girls, can't remember who it was. Couldn't understand why Kayla would want them, D. Sweitzer was god awful in the cage and S. Sweitzer was no better on the field. Haven't heard from that person this year, wonder why.
Haven't heard much from the person who told me Maddy Baxter would be lucky to see the field next year after I complimented her a few times in her freshman year either.
Where do these people go??
tothedraw

Post by tothedraw »

DMac wrote: Tue Feb 28, 2023 12:16 pm Last year there was someone on here screaming about the Sweitzer girls, can't remember who it was. Couldn't understand why Kayla would want them, D. Sweitzer was god awful in the cage and S. Sweitzer was no better on the field. Haven't heard from that person this year, wonder why.
Haven't heard much from the person who told me Maddy Baxter would be lucky to see the field next year after I complimented her a few times in her freshman year either.
Where do these people go??

It wasn't me, but the Sweitzer criticism was pretty well warranted. I too questioned if there wasn't someone on the bench that could contribute more than SS. Kudos to the coaching staff for getting these two and I'm sure others to compete at a higher, more consistent level. Good to see player development. Whoever it was was flat out wrong about Baxter. She had a great World Championship/World Cup, whatever it's called. Experience like that really steps up your game.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Like what I see from Treanor on the sidelines, is really involved with her players when they come off the field whether it be after a good play or a bad play. Made a nice adjustment after the first quarter of the VT game. Offense wasn't nearly as sharp as what we've seen, players and ball could be moving a lot more and quicker. Kayla opened the second quarter with the weave on top out front. Ball and players moving more and voi la, goal. Nice call. Lacks presence of command my asz.
Still confused by the DC situation, pretty darn sure #8 took every one of them. Doesn't matter if you're winning or losing every one of them, or up or down ten, the same DC girl will come out. See that a lot in both m & w lax. Send different girls out to the circle but the same girl will take the draw. :?: :?:

Was surprised by the attendance of this one figured it would be real light. 1,300, nearly fifty more than the Maryland game. Strikes me as odd. Biggest crowd was the Northwestern game at 2,062.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

Took in the game with DMac yesterday. Early in the game I picked the final score at 16-3. Not too far off.

The Orange have a number of players who can really fly down the field. So impressive and a pleasure to watch such speed. Opinions on the actual fastest? DMac, please hold off on this one for a bit...

Meaghan Tyrrell had one of the quietest five goal, two assist performances you'll ever find. I had no idea she was even piling up the points. Absolutely love her game. Best player on the best offense. I'd rather have a NC, but how can she not be the frontrunner for the Tewaaraton?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Ketch wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:46 am Took in the game with DMac yesterday. Early in the game I picked the final score at 16-3. Not too far off.

The Orange have a number of players who can really fly down the field. So impressive and a pleasure to watch such speed. Opinions on the actual fastest? DMac, please hold off on this one for a bit...

Meaghan Tyrrell had one of the quietest five goal, two assist performances you'll ever find. I had no idea she was even piling up the points. Absolutely love her game. Best player on the best offense. I'd rather have a NC, but how can she not be the frontrunner for the Tewaaraton?
Markey or Smith?
Justalaxdad

Post by Justalaxdad »

Ketch wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 6:46 am Took in the game with DMac yesterday. Early in the game I picked the final score at 16-3. Not too far off.

Agreed, MT and Scane are the clear cut favorites for the Tewy. A lot of time left for others to emerge but as of now, it's one of those two.
DMac

Post by DMac »

How's Megan Carney been looking to you?
She hasn't even been on the list which is
just flat out ridiculous.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:21 am

Markey or Smith?
Not looking like you're going to get much play on this, Ketch.
Markey and Smith are both very fast for sure, Sc, I get the two mixed up on the field sometimes, both numbers end in 5, both dark hair, tough to tell them apart at times.
There was a play in this game when a VT girl had the ball blazing downfield on a fast break in front of everyone. Like a tornado, both Smith and Cockerille closed the gap and caught up to that girl and she was suddenly in trouble. I was somewhat blown away by Cockerille's speed, didn't realize she's that fast.
I think (pretty sure) Markey is faster than Smith, both hit top speed very quickly too (Smith might have the edge there but not for long). In a forty yard sprint, I'd put my money on Markey but in a seventy yard sprint I think I'd put my money on Baxter. That girl is crazy fast when she gets rolling. Not as quick a first step but longer distance you'll play hell keeping up with her. Hope you noticed that red pony tail blowing in the wind in the second half, finally took her hair down and out of that bun. Hope that's the new look from Maddy.
The fastest girl I've seen is Sam Smith from Northwestern though. I described a play that happened in the NU-Cuse game when both Smith and Markey had a few step advantage on her in a fast break situation. She not only caught up to Smith but caught up to Markey too who was leading the pack. That girl is just ridiculously fast, she ended up breaking that play up and caused a TO by Cuse, was a nice effort and play.
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

DMac wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 9:13 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:21 am

Markey or Smith?
Not looking like you're going to get much play on this, Ketch.
Markey and Smith are both very fast for sure, Sc, I get the two mixed up on the field sometimes, both numbers end in 5, both dark hair, tough to tell them apart at times.
There was a play in this game when a VT girl had the ball blazing downfield on a fast break in front of everyone. Like a tornado, both Smith and Cockerille closed the gap and caught up to that girl and she was suddenly in trouble. I was somewhat blown away by Cockerille's speed, didn't realize she's that fast.
I think (pretty sure) Markey is faster than Smith, both hit top speed very quickly too (Smith might have the edge there but not for long). In a forty yard sprint, I'd put my money on Markey but in a seventy yard sprint I think I'd put my money on Baxter. That girl is crazy fast when she gets rolling. Not as quick a first step but longer distance you'll play hell keeping up with her. Hope you noticed that red pony tail blowing in the wind in the second half, finally took her hair down and out of that bun. Hope that's the new look from Maddy.
The fastest girl I've seen is Sam Smith from Northwestern though. I described a play that happened in the NU-Cuse game when both Smith and Markey had a few step advantage on her in a fast break situation. She not only caught up to Smith but caught up to Markey too who was leading the pack. That girl is just ridiculously fast, she ended up breaking that play up and caused a TO by Cuse, was a nice effort and play.
I'd put my money on Jenny Markey. That's what I like about women's DI lacrosse. It is still indeed the fastest game on two feet (as opposed to the plodding style of men's play) and the stick skills are unreal. We see a lot of home run passes out there that connect, which amazes me given the background of the silver bleachers in the Carrier Dome (can't bring myself to call it anything else).

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”