Boston College

D1 Womens Lacrosse
Lax101

Re: Boston College

Post by Lax101 »

I personally think BC looks awful on offense so far this year. Little chemistry and lots of turnovers. Its a bit ugly to watch. Defense looks great though and draw has been solid. Just not sure whether they will figure it out offensively. Thoughts on this weekends game - BC v Northwestern.
HailMaryPass

Post by HailMaryPass »

Lax101 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:57 pm I personally think BC looks awful on offense so far this year. Little chemistry and lots of turnovers. Its a bit ugly to watch. Defense looks great though and draw has been solid. Just not sure whether they will figure it out offensively. Thoughts on this weekends game - BC v Northwestern.
agreed. I don't think they have a chance beating NW this weekend if they continue to play like they did against UMass.
last couple of years its taken them a couple of games to get their team chemistry together on the field. hoping its that.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

HailMaryPass wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:07 pm
Lax101 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:57 pm I personally think BC looks awful on offense so far this year. Little chemistry and lots of turnovers. Its a bit ugly to watch. Defense looks great though and draw has been solid. Just not sure whether they will figure it out offensively. Thoughts on this weekends game - BC v Northwestern.
agreed. I don't think they have a chance beating NW this weekend if they continue to play like they did against UMass.
last couple of years its taken them a couple of games to get their team chemistry together on the field. hoping its that.
Remember this is a coaching staff that in 2017 went 17-7, lost to Syracuse early by 10 goals and VTech by six...and played in the National Championship, losing by three to an very good Maryland team. I am not a BC fan, as such, by I think they will get where BC fans want them to be.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

njbill wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:48 am I'm sure it's frustrating for fans to not be able to attend games in person at least until later in the season. But obviously weather can intercede in Boston in February and March. While on the surface it seems they could make a last minute call as to inside or outside, I doubt it is as simple as that. And key to fans around the country who want to watch the game is TV coverage. The networks need lead time to set up their cameras, etc. The simply aren't going to set up both venues to broadcast a wlax game just in case an outside game gets moved indoors at the last minute. I believe it has happened a few times in recent years that games that were started outside, and were being televised, had to get moved inside (not talking BC here) at which point there was no TV coverage. Fans were really unhappy about that.
Agree 100% (again)
Bart

Post by Bart »

Can Opener wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:13 pm
njbill wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:48 am I'm sure it's frustrating for fans to not be able to attend games in person at least until later in the season. But obviously weather can intercede in Boston in February and March. While on the surface it seems they could make a last minute call as to inside or outside, I doubt it is as simple as that. And key to fans around the country who want to watch the game is TV coverage. The networks need lead time to set up their cameras, etc. The simply aren't going to set up both venues to broadcast a wlax game just in case an outside game gets moved indoors at the last minute. I believe it has happened a few times in recent years that games that were started outside, and were being televised, had to get moved inside (not talking BC here) at which point there was no TV coverage. Fans were really unhappy about that.
Agree 100% (again)
The apocalypse really is here..............
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

BC at Northwestern preview

Interesting stats from LacrosseReference - PRO

Defensive efficiency (Opp Adj): BC – 6.9% (Rank 1st)
Offensive efficiency (Opp Adj): NU – 33.8% (Rank 21st)

Early in the season, opponent adjusted stats are thin on data but potent NU offense v stingy BC defense a top storyline.

Coach Kent and crew probably have heard of #27, but how do they plan to keep her under control without losing track of secondary scorers too often (i.e rookie #25 represents a new threat on the opposite wing)? Armchair D coordinators weigh in.

BC goaltenders are used to BBs flying around their gym, so it will be interesting how they will be able to see/handle Scane’s range and release in the (bright, glare-y?) Ryan Fieldhouse.

Midfield will be contested and physical—B1G rules. Looping passes and over-cradling with head down will have consequences. BC tenacity, patience and depth should have the edge?

Assuming #35 Jenn M is available and they take better care of the rock, BC should be able to score consistently. One key is not to let lefty Laliberty’s acrobatic saves get in their heads.

BC visitors will be grateful to have bleachers for this one!
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Nobody game plans defensively better than BC. Game plan last year focused on Gilbert and #2 and they may have had a combined 2 points. BC will turn its attention to Scane which is an almost impossible task but they will limit her as well as any other team. BC will rely on their various other AA and all ACC defenders to deal with secondary scorers. If BC can limit NW to under 14 goals they have a pretty good chance of winning.
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Lax101 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:09 pm Nobody game plans defensively better than BC. Game plan last year focused on Gilbert and #2 and they may have had a combined 2 points. BC will turn its attention to Scane which is an almost impossible task but they will limit her as well as any other team. BC will rely on their various other AA and all ACC defenders to deal with secondary scorers. If BC can limit NW to under 14 goals they have a pretty good chance of winning.
Agreed, but how would you do it? Run the standard D set and see how it goes? Or start off with giving her more attention?
Lax101

Post by Lax101 »

Lock her off and make every touch challenging. Make her work for everything and when she gets the ball send a double or soft private backer. They do same to all great offensive players, Gilbert, Cordingley, Ortega etc. You cant stop those players. Just want other players to do more where match-ups favor your team.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

GratefulRed wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:36 pm
Lax101 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:09 pm Nobody game plans defensively better than BC. Game plan last year focused on Gilbert and #2 and they may have had a combined 2 points. BC will turn its attention to Scane which is an almost impossible task but they will limit her as well as any other team. BC will rely on their various other AA and all ACC defenders to deal with secondary scorers. If BC can limit NW to under 14 goals they have a pretty good chance of winning.
Agreed, but how would you do it? Run the standard D set and see how it goes? Or start off with giving her more attention?
My guess is BC stays in man-to-man with Scales drawing Scane and stay close on her at the 12. Others will be quick to slide and double, make Scane move the ball. If this doesn't work, does BC play a zone? Scane gets 5 or 6 anyway, and NU has to find goals elswehere. Looking forward to this one.
Wheels,Wheels!

Post by Wheels,Wheels! »

Bart

Post by Bart »

Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:47 am https://twitter.com/wlaxnut/status/1627 ... cDDY12nR1Q

I’m not alone! Embarrassing
:lol: :lol: :lol:
njbill

Post by njbill »

Wheels,Wheels! wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 9:47 am https://twitter.com/wlaxnut/status/1627 ... cDDY12nR1Q

I’m not alone! Embarrassing
If you have injected a virus into the women’s board, a pox on your house. :lol:
GratefulRed

Post by GratefulRed »

Lax101 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:47 pm Lock her off and make every touch challenging. Make her work for everything and when she gets the ball send a double or soft private backer. They do same to all great offensive players, Gilbert, Cordingley, Ortega etc. You cant stop those players. Just want other players to do more where match-ups favor your team.
Love it! Don't let the train outta the station. She doesn't seem to work tirelessly without the ball (or just makes it look easier than everybody else), so might set up well for a faceguard. BC can run virtually anything defensively, but a shooter like 27 can stretch a zone. We'll see how they change it up.

Ah, to be good enough to draw your own private backer...
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

GratefulRed wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 10:29 am
Lax101 wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:47 pm Lock her off and make every touch challenging. Make her work for everything and when she gets the ball send a double or soft private backer. They do same to all great offensive players, Gilbert, Cordingley, Ortega etc. You cant stop those players. Just want other players to do more where match-ups favor your team.
Love it! Don't let the train outta the station. She doesn't seem to work tirelessly without the ball (or just makes it look easier than everybody else), so might set up well for a faceguard. BC can run virtually anything defensively, but a shooter like 27 can stretch a zone. We'll see how they change it up.

Face guarding is working well so far.
njbill

Post by njbill »

"So far." You better hope this post ages well.
Madlax59

Post by Madlax59 »

Can Opener wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:32 pm

BC is never shy about using the FG. Never understand why more teams don’t utilize it with Scane . Halfpenny just stood there letting her light up for 10 goals . Embarrassing.
Can Opener

Post by Can Opener »

Madlax59 wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:58 pm
Can Opener wrote: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:32 pm

BC is never shy about using the FG. Never understand why more teams don’t utilize it with Scane . Halfpenny just stood there letting her light up for 10 goals . Embarrassing.
Yup. If this works out for BC, it could wind up having Tewaaraton implications as more teams copy it. Like “Shut Off Teat” on the men’s side a couple of years back. Obviously lots of time left in this game and remains to be seen if future NU opponents will be more like Kent or more like Halfpenny.
njbill

Post by njbill »

Very strong half by the Eagles. Offense, of course, has a decidedly different look this year, but it is still very effective with quite a few good finishers/scorers. If Belle Smith isn't the most complete player in the college game today, I don't know who is. NU had too many mistakes/unforced errors.

BC isn't using a traditional all-over-the-field face guard on Scane, e.g., like the old Whittle FG. Rather, they are closely marking her (with different players from time to time) say, 15-20 yds out and running a double at her when she touches the ball. Very effective "so far." I never understand why teams (in general) don't do more to spring their big gun free when a defense of this nature is used. We'll see if NU adapts in the second half.

BC has done a good job of weathering NU's runs "so far." We'll see if that continues in the second half.

Good game. I knuckled and signed up for Big+. Getting my money's worth so far.
PhanLax99

Post by PhanLax99 »

Big Ten + is so hit or miss. Ohio State seems to shoot their games from outerspace!

Return to “D1 WOMENS LACROSSE”