Ron Desantis (The Desantis Doctrine)

The odds are excellent that you will leave this forum hating someone.
Farfromgeneva

Re: Ron Desantis (The Desantis Doctrine)

Post by Farfromgeneva »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:53 am Sounds like a wrong-headed attempt to help kids feel comfortable, not 'alone', based on race.

Good intentions, wrong answer.

But nutcase parent situation making it into much more than it had to be...
Correct combined with a parent who’s business interests were already at risk before that.

It’s strange how numbers are cited like x% black or y% Indian but the Indian kid who’s one of my sons closest friends is not like the Indian kid in the hood by any stretch. (His father works in software of course and mother in some form of health science-straight down the stereotype middle, still working the kid and dad on getting him to play Lax)

The Education head at the NAACPs comments are an affront, factually incorrect when you look at the outcomes for all kids not just the white ones there. I wouldn’t care if there was more bussing in as we have sore physical capacity. I would have a problem if my kids were bussed out unless I got a tax break commensurate with the value delta between my home and comps locally and the ones in the places those districts reside into perpetuity plus other offsets because I’m stressed at times on liquidity the last few years building a business after years of 80+ hour weeks and giving up my 20s, borrowing nearly $100k between modest UG and MBA debt and paying it off through a financial crisis on my own and writing a 20% down payment check that was 50% higher than the total of what I sold my mothers home for I grew up in 2yrs ago. Or
They could just invest that difference in those poor neighborhood schools instead of an above ground trolley and stupid corrupt stuff like that which happens a lot in this town.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:07 am ...responding to afan from another thread.

"woke" content removed from FL Math textbooks.

https://www.politico.com/news/2022/05/0 ... s-00030503

In one example that caught the state’s attention, a reviewer noted that a high school statistics book included lessons on race that could violate the rule.

They pointed to pages that discussed “racial profiling in policing” and “discrimination in magnet school admission,” along with one instance in which the book mentioned there were “too many” white police officers in the NYPD compared with the racial makeup of the community.

Another book ...covering precalculus honors was dinged for a section that asked students what algebra can help tell about “racial bias.”

...two publishers seeking to provide K-5 math books were flagged by reviewers for broaching lessons on social emotional learning, according to the documents.

One second-grade book ...“attempts at multicultural teaching” were evident in its text.
The example given was “types of housing for different groups of people.”

...for fifth graders ...for its social emotional learning lessons.
...one question “asks students to think about social and emotional learning competencies, including relationship skills and social awareness.”

...a Mathematics for College Liberal Arts text, was allegedly “biased” on climate change and emphasized that “racism is embedded in American society dependent on age,” ...This book, ...contained exercises based on “an argument” between former Vice President Al Gore and conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh in which, the reviewer wrote, “You can tell the author favors Al Gore and dislikes Rush Limbaugh based on questions.”
This book includes a bar graph “measuring racial prejudice, by age,” an example previously cited by the FLDOE.
“Based solely on the Critical Race Theory elements, this book should not be considered for adoption,” according to the reviewer, who also criticized the author for “talking about a climate crisis as if it’s a proven fact.”
Appreciate you took the time to answer.

But I still don't know where you stand.....are you against the above? Because that's why I asked you to clarify your belief in teaching slavery's impact on economic and cultural life in America. Because if you think that's a good thing.....you should be fine with the above.

And it's also why I roped in DeSantis....because here you seem to be supporting DeSantis' new laws.

I said seems, because I still don't know if you think the above is good or bad.
a fan

Post by a fan »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:01 am But…is incredibly thoughtful and intelligent and asks and gets the why a lot.
That's amazing. That will serve him well, as you very well know.

I'm working hard to not dread the coming teen years.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

a fan wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:57 pm
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:01 am But…is incredibly thoughtful and intelligent and asks and gets the why a lot.
That's amazing. That will serve him well, as you very well know.

I'm working hard to not dread the coming teen years.
Yeah but it's a non conforming type of behavior which means there's a lot of tripwires in growing up with that.

Funnier story, my daughter was BS'ing about brushing her teeth before bed one time last week. Walked in and out of bathroom never heard the water run. She said she did so I asked again reminding her the most important thing I ask of them is honesty and transparency and "so, did you really brush your teeth". Standing right in front of me, face to face, I think she nearly had a stroke rolling her eyes up and around everywhere to avoid looking at me when she lied again as said she did. I'm cracking up becuase I didn't think eyeballs could rolls that far away from the center as a biological reality and she get's pissed at me for "laughing at her" to which I replied "the don't strain yourself telling me a lie"....
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:33 pm Appreciate you took the time to answer.

But I still don't know where you stand.....are you against the above? Because that's why I asked you to clarify your belief in teaching slavery's impact on economic and cultural life in America. Because if you think that's a good thing.....you should be fine with the above.

And it's also why I roped in DeSantis....because here you seem to be supporting DeSantis' new laws.

I don't approve of using STEM courses to brainwash kids. There's enough of that in social studies.
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:00 pm

I don't approve of using STEM courses to brainwash kids. There's enough of that in social studies.
Ok, so you do support DeSantis, as you're citing his programs here. So now you know why I brought him up.

So for STEM, you stick to the science, and that's it? This means you can't discuss who invented what...to give just one example of a problem I'd have with that. Or tell kids why America got a whole mess of brilliant Jewish Scientists in the 30's.

You sure that's what you want?
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Ok, so only using WASP culture and examples in MATH is just fine...
old salt

Post by old salt »

CU88 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:22 pm

Ok, so only using WASP culture and examples in MATH is just fine...
Use culturally neutral examples. I recall time-distance-speed word problems about trains, trucks, & airplanes.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:17 pm

Ok, so you do support DeSantis, as you're citing his programs here. So now you know why I brought him up.

So for STEM, you stick to the science, and that's it? This means you can't discuss who invented what...to give just one example of a problem I'd have with that. Or tell kids why America got a whole mess of brilliant Jewish Scientists in the 30's.

You sure that's what you want?
Don't tell me who I support.
I agree with what DeSantis is trying to do on education.
I'm not supporting"Nikki -- I'm pointing out her strategy.
You continue to conflate analysis with advocacy.
lagerhead

Post by lagerhead »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:32 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:10 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:01 am
MDlaxfan76 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:05 am
old salt wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:07 am ...responding to afan from another thread.

In one example that caught the state’s attention, a reviewer noted that a high school statistics book included lessons on race that could violate the rule.

They pointed to pages that discussed “racial profiling in policing” and “discrimination in magnet school admission,” along with one instance in which the book mentioned there were “too many” white police officers in the NYPD compared with the racial makeup of the community.

Another book ...covering precalculus honors was dinged for a section that asked students what algebra can help tell about “racial bias.”

...two publishers seeking to provide K-5 math books were flagged by reviewers for broaching lessons on social emotional learning, according to the documents.

One second-grade book ...“attempts at multicultural teaching” were evident in its text.

...one question “asks students to think about social and emotional learning competencies, including relationship skills and social awareness.”

...a Mathematics for College Liberal Arts text, was allegedly “biased” on climate change and emphasized that “racism is embedded in American society dependent on age,” ...This book, ...contained exercises based on “an argument” between former Vice President Al Gore and conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh in which, the reviewer wrote, “You can tell the author favors Al Gore and dislikes Rush Limbaugh based on questions.”
This book includes a bar graph “measuring racial prejudice, by age,” an example previously cited by the FLDOE.
“Based solely on the Critical Race Theory elements, this book should not be considered for adoption,” according to the reviewer, who also criticized the author for “talking about a climate crisis as if it’s a proven fact.”
And your conclusion is?

"woke" is bad?

why do we learn math?
For math's sake?

Or to solve problems?
All sorts of problems, from how to put a man on the moon to better understanding social challenges.

Kids, at all ages, want to understand why they are learning something and they respond to such with greater enthusiasm for learning the tools when they understand that they will help them in the real world. The demand for relevance to the real world, begins early in the educational process (I certainly was highly conscious of wanting to know why I was memorizing times tables!) and only accelerates as one matures...emotional social learning becomes more and more important to address.

So, what Florida is saying is that out of a huge amount, 6,000 pages, of material, with undoubtedly thousands of references to various problems to be solved, the reviewers found a few that they felt were "biased" in their presentation in their effort to catch the attention of students as to the relevance of using math to address the problems as framed. And by "biased" they mean that statistics shouldn't be used to analyze the composition of a police force relative to the community it serves...why? Because it's irrelevant??? Or because it threatens to expose some discontinuities that make white nationalists 'uncomfortable'??? Sheesh...why go there? It's using math to look at a problem...but a good teacher would then push the question of correlation versus causation, exploring those dynamics...it's statistics, not 2+2=4.
I see it in my kids. My son has focus issues and gets in some trouble for being a sarcastic prick sometimes - I’ll sore everyone the opportunity and acknowledge that sounds familiar to those who deal with me here.

But…is incredibly thoughtful and intelligent and asks and gets the why a lot. My daughter is dutiful when she’s not a pain in the a** and a little self centered but it would be polite to say shes “process driven” in that she gets her grades and does what she needs to but only because she’s told to do so not because she sees the value or understands why she’s doing something. They’re 8&10, 3rd and 4th grade so maybe there’s time but I feel like it’s already set their paths in life.

Son gets that math is simply a language to explain the world already daughter sees it as problems to solve because she’s expected to do so.
Hopefully both will evolve...hopefully your daughter will experience some teachers who challenge her and inspire her to expand her horizons. Great teachers can do so, but not if they constrain themselves to the nuts and bolts, the rules of math.

Your son is currently more likely to explore the potentialities of math; hopefully he'll develop the disciplines to make the most of his curiosity. Again, great teachers can provide a pathway to recognizing why those disciplines are so important to that exploration, but not when they constrain themselves to the nuts and bolts, the rules of math.

Hopefully, both will encounter such teachers, unconstrained...

Don't move to Florida...
The irony is the elementary school they go to is pretty strong, one of the best within the city of Atlanta but was caught up in an issue because the principal had 2 black kids physically attending, maybe 3, during the fall of 2020 in Covid and one mother who had a whole other agenda and her personal aftercare program at risk pushed this story that the school was segregating kids. It’s nonsense, a poor move in a sense by the vice principal, but compared with the proactive issues in the educational system in FL the irony of this being national news is insane.

Briscoe is good if very stubborn and control oriented but Posey is “Nat sh*t” crazy, I feel sorry for her daughter who’s been in my sons class a few different years and of course is just a bystander in this (K Posey had an aftercare program the school was moving in from and the new one is 1000x better and cheaper for the school and they were also moving her counselor husband out in 2019/2020 which is really why she stirred this all up). Crazy thing is by insisting bc her husband was an employee she could pick her kids teacher she implied the teacher my son had was not as good. How’s that make me and the parents of the kids in that class feel-she is selfish and sucks.

Atlanta school under federal investigation after allegations principal assigned Black students to classes based on race

Mary Lin Elementary School, which serves nearly 600 students, is in Atlanta's Candler Park neighborhood.
Atlanta(CNN) — The Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights has launched an investigation into an Atlanta public elementary school after allegations the principal was assigning Black students to certain classes.

In the letter provided to CNN, the Office for Civil Rights said it will investigate allegations of discrimination based on race and whether Atlanta Public Schools subjected students at the school "to different treatment based on race." It will also look into whether the district retaliated against the complainant.

The Office for Civil Rights launched its investigation November 14, according to a letter sent from the Department of Education to Atlanta Public Schools. The inquiry by the federal government comes more than a year after a Black mother filed a civil rights complaint with the office saying her children's elementary school placed Black students in separate classrooms from their peers based on their race.

In a September 2021 interview with CNN, parent Kila Posey, who has two children at Mary Lin Elementary School, alleged that during the 2020-2021 school year, Principal Sharyn Briscoe designated two second grade classes for Black students without the consent of families, while White students were able to be placed among all six second grade classes.

Posey and Briscoe are both Black.

Kila Posey speaks with CNN in 2021. Kila Posey speaks with CNN in 2021.
According to the initial complaint filed by Posey, the assistant principal at the school admitted in a recorded phone conversation in August 2020 that she was aware of the class separation Briscoe created, noting "class lists are always tough" and that she wished the school had more Black children. The district's chief academic officer also acknowledged in a recorded conversation in March 2021 that Briscoe admitted to designating classes for Black students, the complaint states.

Posey told CNN's John Berman in September 2021 that she found out about the school's practice when she requested her child be placed in a certain teacher's class. Briscoe, she said, told her that was not a "Black class" and that her daughter would not have anyone who looks like her in the classroom.

After Posey filed her complaint, Ian Smith, who heads the Atlanta Public Schools' Office of Communications and Public Engagement, told CNN that the district conducted a review of the allegations and that "appropriate actions were taken to address the issue and the matter was closed."

Smith added: "Atlanta Public Schools does not condone the assigning of students to classrooms based on race."

Mary Lin Elementary School Principal Sharyn Briscoe is seen in an image from the school's website. Mary Lin Elementary School Principal Sharyn Briscoe is seen in an image from the school's website.
On Tuesday, Posey told CNN she launched a second complaint on August 29, 2022, after she was fired from her role as an after-school care provider for the district, claiming her firing was "retaliation for raising the issue of segregation." Her husband, who was a school psychologist at Mary Lin, also left the school.

Responding to the claims, the district sent CNN a statement that read, "Atlanta Public Schools has received notice from OCR that a complaint was filed, and the district is following OCR's process. Given that this matter is pending before a federal administrative agency for consideration, APS has no further comment."

"To our knowledge, we do not believe they have gone back to that practice," Posey told CNN regarding her claim of segregated classrooms. "My understanding is that they had changed to some degree, but there were rooms that were not diverse."

The segregated classrooms claim shook up the predominately White and affluent community. It's also fueled a debate about whether the practice would even be considered legal or productive for the children.

In the spring, two members of the Atlanta branch of the NAACP visited Mary Lin Elementary to see whether there was merit to Posey's claims. Marilyn Barnett Waters, who at the time was the Georgia state education chair of the NAACP, told CNN she believed the school staged some of the classrooms for her visit.

"I saw African American students, in two of the classes I saw. It almost seemed like they were foreign to that class," Waters told CNN by phone Wednesday while recalling her visit. "The Black students weren't engaged with any of the other kids in the class."

"The White children seemed to have friends, but the two Black girls were sitting there, and it didn't seem like they knew each other. They kept watching me as if I was going to say something to them," she said.

Waters added there were a lot of classes that were not in session, but of those she did see, she "did not believe that the quality of education was really high."

"I saw a lot of students without direct instruction," she said.

In a statement to CNN, Atlanta Public Schools said Waters' assertion that the school setting was staged "is totally fictional."

The principal was accommodating during the visit and answered all of Waters' questions, the district said.

"When asked to give her impressions of what she observed during the visit, Dr. Waters stated that all she saw was 'a normal school day happening," according to the district.

"It is both troubling and disappointing that Dr. Waters has chosen to provide you with false statements that are an affront to the faculty and staff."

Mary Lin Elementary School is number 14 in the state and first in the district for all test scores, according to Atlanta Public Schools.

The school was founded in 1929 and there was a time in history when the school was all White. However, by the mid- to late 1990s, the racial demographics of the school were such that no classrooms were all White or all Black, according to APS.

The elementary school has 599 students in grades kindergarten through fifth grade, according to the Georgia Department of Education's latest data. Of those, 60 students are Black, according to the ethnicity/race breakdown.

Overall, public schools in Atlanta are predominately Black, according to recent data. As of October 2021, the racial demographics of Atlanta Public Schools students are 72% Black; 16% White; 8% Hispanic; 3% two or more races; 1% Asian; and 0% American Indian.
“Don’t move to Florida”
Says the poster who sent kid to private schools and spends winters in Fla. I’m out. No need to reply!
lagerhead

Post by lagerhead »

And your conclusion is?

"woke" is bad?

why do we learn math?
For math's sake?

Or to solve problems?
All sorts of problems, from how to put a man on the moon to better understanding social challenges.

Kids, at all ages, want to understand why they are learning something and they respond to such with greater enthusiasm for learning the tools when they understand that they will help them in the real world. The demand for relevance to the real world, begins early in the educational process (I certainly was highly conscious of wanting to know why I was memorizing times tables!) and only accelerates as one matures...emotional social learning becomes more and more important to address.

So, what Florida is saying is that out of a huge amount, 6,000 pages, of material, with undoubtedly thousands of references to various problems to be solved, the reviewers found a few that they felt were "biased" in their presentation in their effort to catch the attention of students as to the relevance of using math to address the problems as framed. And by "biased" they mean that statistics shouldn't be used to analyze the composition of a police force relative to the community it serves...why? Because it's irrelevant??? Or because it threatens to expose some discontinuities that make white nationalists 'uncomfortable'??? Sheesh...why go there? It's using math to look at a problem...but a good teacher would then push the question of correlation versus causation, exploring those dynamics...it's statistics, not 2+2=4.
I see it in my kids. My son has focus issues and gets in some trouble for being a sarcastic prick sometimes - I’ll sore everyone the opportunity and acknowledge that sounds familiar to those who deal with me here.

But…is incredibly thoughtful and intelligent and asks and gets the why a lot. My daughter is dutiful when she’s not a pain in the a** and a little self centered but it would be polite to say shes “process driven” in that she gets her grades and does what she needs to but only because she’s told to do so not because she sees the value or understands why she’s doing something. They’re 8&10, 3rd and 4th grade so maybe there’s time but I feel like it’s already set their paths in life.

Son gets that math is simply a language to explain the world already daughter sees it as problems to solve because she’s expected to do so.
Hopefully both will evolve...hopefully your daughter will experience some teachers who challenge her and inspire her to expand her horizons. Great teachers can do so, but not if they constrain themselves to the nuts and bolts, the rules of math.

Your son is currently more likely to explore the potentialities of math; hopefully he'll develop the disciplines to make the most of his curiosity. Again, great teachers can provide a pathway to recognizing why those disciplines are so important to that exploration, but not when they constrain themselves to the nuts and bolts, the rules of math.

Don't move to Florida...
The irony is the elementary school they go to is pretty strong, one of the best within the city of Atlanta but was caught up in an issue because the principal had 2 black kids physically attending, maybe 3, during the fall of 2020 in Covid and one mother who had a whole other agenda and her personal aftercare program at risk pushed this story that the school was segregating kids. It’s nonsense, a poor move in a sense by the vice principal, but compared with the proactive issues in the educational system in FL the irony of this being national news is insane.

Briscoe is good if very stubborn and control oriented but Posey is “Nat sh*t” crazy, I feel sorry for her daughter who’s been in my sons class a few different years and of course is just a bystander in this (K Posey had an aftercare program the school was moving in from and the new one is 1000x better and cheaper for the school and they were also moving her counselor husband out in 2019/2020 which is really why she stirred this all up). Crazy thing is by insisting bc her husband was an employee she could pick her kids teacher she implied the teacher my son had was not as good. How’s that make me and the parents of the kids in that class feel-she is selfish and sucks.

Atlanta school under federal investigation after allegations principal assigned Black students to classes based on race

Mary Lin Elementary School, which serves nearly 600 students, is in Atlanta's Candler Park neighborhood.
Atlanta(CNN) — The Department of Education's Office for Civil Rights has launched an investigation into an Atlanta public elementary school after allegations the principal was assigning Black students to certain classes.

In the letter provided to CNN, the Office for Civil Rights said it will investigate allegations of discrimination based on race and whether Atlanta Public Schools subjected students at the school "to different treatment based on race." It will also look into whether the district retaliated against the complainant.

The Office for Civil Rights launched its investigation November 14, according to a letter sent from the Department of Education to Atlanta Public Schools. The inquiry by the federal government comes more than a year after a Black mother filed a civil rights complaint with the office saying her children's elementary school placed Black students in separate classrooms from their peers based on their race.

In a September 2021 interview with CNN, parent Kila Posey, who has two children at Mary Lin Elementary School, alleged that during the 2020-2021 school year, Principal Sharyn Briscoe designated two second grade classes for Black students without the consent of families, while White students were able to be placed among all six second grade classes.

According to the initial complaint filed by Posey, the assistant principal at the school admitted in a recorded phone conversation in August 2020 that she was aware of the class separation Briscoe created, noting "class lists are always tough" and that she wished the school had more Black children. The district's chief academic officer also acknowledged in a recorded conversation in March 2021 that Briscoe admitted to designating classes for Black students, the complaint states.

Posey told CNN's John Berman in September 2021 that she found out about the school's practice when she requested her child be placed in a certain teacher's class. Briscoe, she said, told her that was not a "Black class" and that her daughter would not have anyone who looks like her in the classroom.

After Posey filed her complaint, Ian Smith, who heads the Atlanta Public Schools' Office of Communications and Public Engagement, told CNN that the district conducted a review of the allegations and that "appropriate actions were taken to address the issue and the matter was closed."

Smith added: "Atlanta Public Schools does not condone the assigning of students to classrooms based on race."

Mary Lin Elementary School Principal Sharyn Briscoe is seen in an image from the school's website. Mary Lin Elementary School Principal Sharyn Briscoe is seen in an image from the school's website.
On Tuesday, Posey told CNN she launched a second complaint on August 29, 2022, after she was fired from her role as an after-school care provider for the district, claiming her firing was "retaliation for raising the issue of segregation." Her husband, who was a school psychologist at Mary Lin, also left the school.

Responding to the claims, the district sent CNN a statement that read, "Atlanta Public Schools has received notice from OCR that a complaint was filed, and the district is following OCR's process. Given that this matter is pending before a federal administrative agency for consideration, APS has no further comment."

"To our knowledge, we do not believe they have gone back to that practice," Posey told CNN regarding her claim of segregated classrooms. "My understanding is that they had changed to some degree, but there were rooms that were not diverse."

The segregated classrooms claim shook up the predominately White and affluent community. It's also fueled a debate about whether the practice would even be considered legal or productive for the children.

In the spring, two members of the Atlanta branch of the NAACP visited Mary Lin Elementary to see whether there was merit to Posey's claims. Marilyn Barnett Waters, who at the time was the Georgia state education chair of the NAACP, told CNN she believed the school staged some of the classrooms for her visit.

"I saw African American students, in two of the classes I saw. It almost seemed like they were foreign to that class," Waters told CNN by phone Wednesday while recalling her visit. "The Black students weren't engaged with any of the other kids in the class."

"The White children seemed to have friends, but the two Black girls were sitting there, and it didn't seem like they knew each other. They kept watching me as if I was going to say something to them," she said.

Waters added there were a lot of classes that were not in session, but of those she did see, she "did not believe that the quality of education was really high."

In a statement to CNN, Atlanta Public Schools said Waters' assertion that the school setting was staged "is totally fictional."

The principal was accommodating during the visit and answered all of Waters' questions, the district said.

"When asked to give her impressions of what she observed during the visit, Dr. Waters stated that all she saw was 'a normal school day happening," according to the district.

"It is both troubling and disappointing that Dr. Waters has chosen to provide you with false statements that are an affront to the faculty and staff."

Mary Lin Elementary School is number 14 in the state and first in the district for all test scores, according to Atlanta Public Schools.

The school was founded in 1929 and there was a time in history when the school was all White. However, by the mid- to late 1990s, the racial demographics of the school were such that no classrooms were all White or all Black, according to APS.

The elementary school has 599 students in grades kindergarten through fifth grade, according to the Georgia Department of Education's latest data. Of those, 60 students are Black, according to the ethnicity/race breakdown.

Overall, public schools in Atlanta are predominately Black, according to recent data. As of October 2021, the racial demographics of Atlanta Public Schools students are 72% Black; 16% White; 8% Hispanic; 3% two or more races; 1% Asian; and 0% American Indian.
“Don’t move to Florida”
Says the poster who sent kid to private schools and spends winters in Fla. I’m out. No need to reply!
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:30 pm Don't tell me who I support.
:lol: You're doing it again. You're ripping me for being too specific "Don't tell me who I support".

Then you're following that with a massively broad, non-specific "agreement with what DeSantis is trying to do on education".

No matter what I do here, I'm wrong. Because if I come back later and say "well, you told me you were in agreement what DeSantis is trying to do on education"....and what you MEANT to say was that you only support a part or two....you'll rip my head off. Again.

And then come back again with "conflating analysis with advocacy'. Which translated means: just because I cite something, doesn't mean that I agree with it".

No matter what I do, it's wrong. And you're doing this intentionally, while claiming that I'm the one who wants a fight, and you are the one who wants a discussion.

So i'm going to conclude this discussion with my understanding that for STEM classes only, you don't want, for example, any discussion of the people behind science. Because if you do that, that's woke and brainwashing.

You're not wrong, btw. You can't discuss these things without discussing politics or things like anti-semitism, or racism. You're right. Yet I can't imagine teaching a STEM class without those things, but we all have opinions.

For the record, i'm all for telling kids in a STEM class, for example.....why all those brilliant scientists came to America in the 1930's from Europe. It's an important thing to learn, imho.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

lagerhead wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:36 pm

And your conclusion is?

"woke" is bad?

why do we learn math?
For math's sake?

Or to solve problems?

Don't move to Florida...

“Don’t move to Florida”
Who are you quoting? My kids are the ones at the above mentioned public school inside the city of Atlanta. Admittedly in a more affluent district but the people are real unlike Buckhead, Brookhaven and morningside within the city of Atlanta.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

a fan wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:10 pm
old salt wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 6:30 pm Don't tell me who I support.
:lol: You're doing it again. You're ripping me for being too specific "Don't tell me who I support".

Then you're following that with a massively broad, non-specific "agreement with what DeSantis is trying to do on education".

No matter what I do here, I'm wrong. Because if I come back later and say "well, you told me you were in agreement what DeSantis is trying to do on education"....and what you MEANT to say was that you only support a part or two....you'll rip my head off. Again.

And then come back again with "conflating analysis with advocacy'. Which translated means: just because I cite something, doesn't mean that I agree with it".

No matter what I do, it's wrong. And you're doing this intentionally, while claiming that I'm the one who wants a fight, and you are the one who wants a discussion.

So i'm going to conclude this discussion with my understanding that for STEM classes only, you don't want, for example, any discussion of the people behind science. Because if you do that, that's woke and brainwashing.

You're not wrong, btw. You can't discuss these things without discussing politics or things like anti-semitism, or racism. You're right. Yet I can't imagine teaching a STEM class without those things, but we all have opinions.

For the record, i'm all for telling kids in a STEM class, for example.....why all those brilliant scientists came to America in the 1930's from Europe. It's an important thing to learn, imho.
Henrietta Lacks would get no air in Old Salt’s world:

Henrietta Lacks was a black American woman who died of cancer in 1951 at age 31. Before she died, doctors took a sample from her tumor without her knowledge or consent and used the sample for medical research. The cells in Henrietta’s tissue sample, known as HeLa cells (pronounced hee-lah), were the first human cells to survive in a culture, where they thrived and multiplied. Consequently, HeLa cells have since been used in scientific research all over the world and have played a fundamental role in numerous medical advances and developments, like the polio vaccine.

For over two decades, Henrietta’s identity was unknown, and her family knew nothing about HeLa and the role their mother unknowingly played in medical research. By the 1970s, however, her name was publicly revealed.

When Skloot first hears about Henrietta at college in the 1980s, she is surprised at how little information she learns: “As the other students filed out of the room, I sat thinking, That’s it? That’s all we get? There has to be more to this story” (4). Several years later, in the late 1990s, Skloot comes across the papers from the first HeLa Cancer Control Symposium, which took place in Atlanta in 1996. She persuades the conference’s organizer, Roland Pattillo, to put her in touch with Henrietta’s family, though he warns her to be careful, as the family has suffered greatly as a result of HeLa, and some members of the scientific community have treated them poorly.

America is not the place for this CRT nonsense!
“I wish you would!”
old salt

Post by old salt »

Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:27 pm Henrietta Lacks would get no air in Old Salt’s world:

Henrietta Lacks was a black American woman who died of cancer in 1951 at age 31. Before she died, doctors took a sample from her tumor without her knowledge or consent and used the sample for medical research. The cells in Henrietta’s tissue sample, known as HeLa cells (pronounced hee-lah), were the first human cells to survive in a culture, where they thrived and multiplied. Consequently, HeLa cells have since been used in scientific research all over the world and have played a fundamental role in numerous medical advances and developments, like the polio vaccine.

For over two decades, Henrietta’s identity was unknown, and her family knew nothing about HeLa and the role their mother unknowingly played in medical research. By the 1970s, however, her name was publicly revealed.

When Skloot first hears about Henrietta at college in the 1980s, she is surprised at how little information she learns: “As the other students filed out of the room, I sat thinking, That’s it? That’s all we get? There has to be more to this story” (4). Several years later, in the late 1990s, Skloot comes across the papers from the first HeLa Cancer Control Symposium, which took place in Atlanta in 1996. She persuades the conference’s organizer, Roland Pattillo, to put her in touch with Henrietta’s family, though he warns her to be careful, as the family has suffered greatly as a result of HeLa, and some members of the scientific community have treated them poorly.

That's some pretty heavy content for elementary school science class.
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:10 pm So i'm going to conclude this discussion with my understanding that for STEM classes only, you don't want, for example, any discussion of the people behind science. Because if you do that, that's woke and brainwashing.

Talk about it in a social studies class, in the lesson on the holocaust, where it will reinforce the content, not distract from the topic under study -- E-mc2
Last edited by old salt on Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

old salt wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:00 pm
Typical Lax Dad wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:27 pm Henrietta Lacks would get no air in Old Salt’s world:

That's some pretty heavy content for elementary school science class.
Old Stain…. did I mention elementary school? Anyway…..

“I wish you would!”
a fan

Post by a fan »

old salt wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:04 pm
a fan wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:10 pm So i'm going to conclude this discussion with my understanding that for STEM classes only, you don't want, for example, any discussion of the people behind science. Because if you do that, that's woke and brainwashing.

Talk about it in a social studies class, in the lesson on the holocaust, where it will reinforce the content, not distract from the topic under study -- E-mC2
So I don't put words into your mouth----you've complained about them doing that, too. You called "it" brainwashing, but aren't clear as to what "It" is.

Please clarify so I understand where you are here. For you: Is it ok to teach about these things in social studies?

Because I'm telling you...that's not the message that's getting out from DeSantis and Co. The message isn't "teach all you want about social issues, or slavery, or anything else, knock yourself out...just not in STEM". The message is "the lefties are brainwashing your kids, and we must stop them".
old salt

Post by old salt »

a fan wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:12 pm

Talk about it in a social studies class, in the lesson on the holocaust, where it will reinforce the content, not distract from the topic under study -- E-mC2
So I don't put words into your mouth----you've complained about them doing that, too. You called "it" brainwashing, but aren't clear as to what "It" is.

Please clarify so I understand where you are here. For you: Is it ok to teach about these things in social studies?

Because I'm telling you...that's not the message that's getting out from DeSantis and Co. The message isn't "teach all you want about social issues, or slavery, or anything else, knock yourself out...just not in STEM". The message is "the lefties are brainwashing your kids, and we must stop them".
It's indoctrination, using every medium to influence children. Of course it's ok to teach it in social studies courses, in context, when (in this case) the holocaust or antisemitism are part of the approved lesson plan. You've latched onto a very benign example, while ignoring others cited such as BLM, police or housing demographics, which are distractions & diversions when teaching math.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

old salt wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2023 3:04 am
a fan wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:12 pm

It's indoctrination, using every medium to influence children. Of course it's ok to teach it in social studies courses, in context, when (in this case) the holocaust or antisemitism are part of the approved lesson plan. You've latched onto a very benign example, while ignoring others cited such as BLM, police or housing demographics, which are distractions & diversions when teaching math.
Have you considered that those examples are more sophisticated approaches to statistical analysis than what was taught 50yrs ago, 60yrs ago if you left home in 1966. Literally a lifetime ago.

Return to “POLITICS”