HS Boys National and Regional Rankings

HS Boys Lacrosse
wahoomurf

Re: HS Boys National and Regional Rankings

Post by wahoomurf »

admin wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:20 pm Despite your condescension, it actually makes sense. GC v. St. I is one game. If they played a 1 game season, you'd be 100% correct. but they don't so... You can't set rankings based on head-to-head. And, if you did, you'd be chasing your tail and few, if any, rankings would be meaningful.
LIlax88
GC beats St Ignatius 14-3 but doesn’t pass them in your rankings and is at 41? Seems accurate.
I'm confused.Did Garden City,(10-0) stay at # 41 in "the rankings"(which rankings ?) after beating S.I.? And/or did S.I. maintain their previous ranking in a poll of some kind?
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

From 4/14 to 4/18, St. I dropped a little. (When teams lose to teams higher ranked than they are, even 3 teams, the team loses minimal Points.)
From 4/14 to 4/18, Garden City jumped up 27 spots from #68 to #41. Obviously GC is better than 68, and 41 for that matter, but... The Rankings are based solely on Ws and Ls, not conjecture, predictions, or opinions. GC is good and they need better wins that prove this.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

Interesting. Garden City, a neighborhood H.S.located on Long Island in New York State, is undefeated. Their W/L record is 10-0. So even though YOU state "the rankings are based solely on Ws and Ls, not conjecture, predictions, or opinions”, and YOU further opine "G.C.(I assume you refer to Garden City not Glen Cove, another L.I, H.S.) is good and they need better wins that prove this". So, Garden City using YOUR criteria, remain "unproven". And what, BTW is THIS?

Their OOC games include wins over some damn good teams. Granted these were, with one exception, against Long Island "public schools". But my bringing up the wins over some damn good teams, would fly in the face of your 100% objective criteria.

Was St. Ignatius ever ranked above GC in your rankings? Please share the geographic nexus of these rankings. Bet it ain't the NY Metro Area.

Eager to see if Massapequa, Smithtown West, Chaminade, Ward Melville, Syosset, Manhasset are ranked in the poll to which you refer.

Where can I find these rankings? Eager to see which teams, even those that may have experienced a loss or 2, are schools YOU consider must be ranked above others.
LIlax88

Post by LIlax88 »

wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

but... The Rankings are based solely on Ws and Ls, not conjecture, predictions, or opinions. GC is good and they need better wins that prove this.

So if understand the explanation proffered by ADMIN, "the rankings are based solely on Ws and Ls". Nothing else enters into the equation. Certainly "not conjecture,predictions or opinions".

If I didn't know better,there is in fact a tremendous amount of OPINION and CONJECTURE in the ranking process.To wit "Bullis has two losses.BUT those losses are to Gonzaga (#8) and McDonogh (#7). Those 2 losses are better wins for the 2 teams mentioned ? :?

Regionalism was NOT mentioned as a factor in the ranking process.FASCINATING! :roll:

"If you're in control,feel free to bend or change the rules as you see fit".(A.G. BARR ?)
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

LIlax88 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:59 pm Murf, rankings are here: http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2019/04/19/201 ... gs-apr-18/
Thank you.I was looking for rankings that reflect the single,sole,exclusive component mentioned by ADMIN.....solely Ws and Ls.Can't find those rankings.I'll continue my search.Thanks again.
random observer

Post by random observer »

Looks like St. Anthony's & McDonogh quietly threw together a neutral site mach-up today. St. A's won 10-7. Sounds like it was a good game.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

wahoomurf wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:12 pm
LIlax88 wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:59 pm Murf, rankings are here: http://fanlax.com/fanlax/2019/04/19/201 ... gs-apr-18/
Thank you.I was looking for rankings that reflect the single,sole,exclusive component mentioned by ADMIN.....solely Ws and Ls.Can't find those rankings.I'll continue my search.Thanks again.
Lilax88: I found an alternative H.S. ranking site than the one you posted.I'm intrigued by the differences.
https://www.insidelacrosse.com/recruiti ... c-55438733
pcowlax

Post by pcowlax »

Murf, you typical feigned ignorance makes you sound like an idiot here, you are embarrassing yourself.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

pcowlax wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 4:55 pm
Murf, you typical feigned ignorance makes you sound like an idiot here, you are embarrassing yourself.
Hey PC....YOUR can stick it where the sun don't shine."YOU (?) feigned ignorance makes you sound like an idiot here,you are embarrassing yourself"[/u][/b].
That pithy phrase takes me back to the 1st day when YOU momma embarrassed herself.She eventually got over it Obviously you haven't!Take care of YOU momma and she'll take care of YOUR.

FOLKS GET A BIT ANTSY WHEN THE SEEK TO EXPOSE HYPOCRISY, N'EST PAS ?
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

random observer wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 1:59 pm Looks like St. Anthony's & McDonogh quietly threw together a neutral site mach-up today. St. A's won 10-7. Sounds like it was a good game.
A game was played today between St.A's (8-1) and McDonough (1-22). I've seen St.A's play 3 times this year.Watched them beat Manhasset and St.Igantius (CA) and lose to Chaminade. Looks as if McDonough stepped up their game,big time.

Per Newsday:
St. Anthony's 10, McDonough (Pennsylvania) 7: Jake Bonomi and Aidan Danenza each scored three goals to lead St. Anthony's in a non-league game.

GAME STATS
St. Anthony's G A P Saves
Jake Bonomi 3 0 3 0
Brennan O'Neil 2 1 3 0
And McAdory 1 2 3 0
Aidan Danenza 3 0 3 0
Jack Walshe 0 1 1 0
Bobby McGee 1 0 1 0
Alex Pazienza 0 0 0 7

No games stats were reported for McDonough.
LIlax88

Post by LIlax88 »

Per that Newsday report Murf it seems that Newsday was the ones making a fool of themselves saying Mcdonogh was from PA.. but I digress. It’s the same Mcdonogh that beat Bullis who is top 10 in the rankings. I will give admin credit for his efforts in building a ranking but most scores aren’t updated. For example, GC just beat an undefeated SWR team who was 9-0 and they had 0 games played to date on the site. Not sure where he’s pulling from, I’ve done my part on IL trying to fill in some final scores but, I’m not sure why this is even relevant if all teams don’t have games filled.
Laxxal22

Post by Laxxal22 »

Not to disparage the Peach State, but any poll (whether using eye test or numbers) that has 10 teams from Georgia ranked before the first team from Massachusetts, is off. This is lacrosse, not football. It's a valiant effort, but much harder to take this approach for high school than college, especially D1.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

Let's also spell McDonogh correctly, please.

McDonogh is having an off year, btw.
Good enough to pull off an upset here or there, but not as experienced as recent teams.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

This is copied from NEWSDAY'S scoreboard.The spelling appears to be correct.

NEWSDAY: SCORES Boys Lacrosse Private.
Saturday April 20, 2019

St. Anthony's-Overall 8 - 1 | Conference 2 - 1
McDonough (Pennsylvania)- Overall 1 - 22 | Conference 0 - 6

QUARTER 1 2 3 4 F
St. Anthony's 2 1 4 3 10
McDonough (Pennsylvania) 2 1 3 1 7

HIGHLIGHTS
St. Anthony's 10, McDonough (Pennsylvania) 7.
GAME STATS
St. Anthony's Goals Assists Points Saves
Jake Bonomi 3 0 3 0
Brennan O'Neil 2 1 3 0
Andre McAdory 1 2 3 0
Aidan Danenza 3 0 3 0
Jack Walshe 0 1 1 0
Bobby McGee 1 0 1 0
Alex Pazienza 0 0 0 7

McDonough (Pennsylvania) NO STATS REPORTED.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

LIlax88 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:04 am Per that Newsday report Murf it seems that Newsday was the ones making a fool of themselves saying Mcdonogh was from PA.. but I digress. It’s the same Mcdonogh that beat Bullis who is top 10 in the rankings. I will give admin credit for his efforts in building a ranking but most scores aren’t updated. For example, GC just beat an undefeated SWR team who was 9-0 and they had 0 games played to date on the site. Not sure where he’s pulling from, I’ve done my part on IL trying to fill in some final scores but, I’m not sure why this is even relevant if all teams don’t have games filled.
:?: :?: :?:
LIlax88

Post by LIlax88 »

https://www.mcdonogh.org/athletics/team ... rosse/2178

Murf, I’m pretty sure that McDonogh (MD)’s own school website wouldn’t have their schedule wrong, and they played St Anthony’s on 4/20.
wahoomurf

Post by wahoomurf »

LIlax88 wrote: Sun Apr 21, 2019 8:05 pm https://www.mcdonogh.org/athletics/team ... rosse/2178

Murf, I’m pretty sure that McDonogh (MD)’s own school website wouldn’t have their schedule wrong, and they played St Anthony’s on 4/20.
Wow.When Newsday screws up,they do so,royally. Wrong state,crazy record (1-22 :roll: ),incorrect spelling.At least they had the sport right. ;)
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

wahoomurf wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:35 pmLilax88: I found an alternative H.S. ranking site than the one you posted.I'm intrigued by the differences.
The rankings you're referring to are the third column of the FanLax Team Rankings page. And other rankings represented, too.
admin
Site Admin

Post by admin »

wahoomurf wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:29 pmEager to see if Massapequa, Smithtown West, Chaminade, Ward Melville, Syosset, Manhasset are ranked in the poll to which you refer. Where can I find these rankings? Eager to see which teams, even those that may have experienced a loss or 2, are schools YOU consider must be ranked above others.
They are. The FanLax Computer Rankings need to be updated but Chaminade is #9, Manhasset is #21... Take a look. And you can also see where IL has them, IL's Computer Ranking, LaxBytes, etc. And, if you're the curious type, you'll see something that all these teams have in common that differentiates them from many of the other top-ranked teams. As well as Salisbury, Brunswick, numerous CT teams, and more. And it's not FanLax's hatred of LI, CT, etc. (Honestly, we have no idea where this accusation is coming from. I'd need to double check but I think we had Ward-Melville as the #1 team last season. Either #1 or #2.) It's that they've played fewer games. If we're Normalizing the number of Wins to 3 games, for obvious reasons, Culver playing 10 games has an advantage over Chaminade who has played 6 or Salisbury who has played 5. Similarly, teams who play their toughest teams early in their season (and win) will, early in their season, look better than the teams who play their toughest games (and win) later in their season. Which, in a merit-based system... makes sense.

Return to “HS BOYS LACROSSE”