Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
DocBarrister

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu72 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:30 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:57 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:34 am
a fan wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:56 pm Wait to you hear about the Final Four, where you have to play for all the marbles on two day's rest....or to help with the math, 3 games in 9 days. Against the best teams in D1.

Seem to remember Hopkins players faring quite well with the 3 games in 9 days format.
... not all games are the same in terms of causing fatigue going into a subsequent game. Hopkins also won an awful lot of those games without having two or three day "rest" practice games during the season. Personally I don't see a need for the games, or an advantage in having them, all else being equal. Now if it is a matter of difficulty in scheduling a team you want to play, that is another matter.
From an outsider's perspective?

Every game against a top team is a chance for your boys to improve. And if you look at this forum, it's pretty obvious that Milliman is on the clock. He doesn't have the time to slowly and gradually improve this team. He needs to get these players and this program better NOW.

Playing UNC instead of (insert creampuff) will get help your players get better, imho. And learn how to deal with a close game in the 4th. And maybe Milliman will learn to play a few more kids, and lengthen the bench. Whole lot of good things come out of playing UNC instead of a creampuff, if you ask me. And I know you didn't ask.

And if it's not obvious, I agree with wgdsr 100%.....I didn't play at the D1 level, but I can tell you that I played both soccer and lacrosse, starting for both programs. I NEVER got tired from having mulitiple games. It was common to play in tournaments where you played two entire soccer games per day for three days straight. Never got gassed because of that. That's what conditioning is for. And I'd like to think that Hopkins conditioning and meal program was just a tad more sophisticated and effective than it was for a soccer or lacrosse team in the 80's.

It's just like wgdsr says...what makes you gassed is sprinting for minutes on end. And it takes just a few minutes to recover. So if you think you saw gassed players in the Hop game? It was because they played too much D for minutes at a time. The fact that they played Saturday had NOTHING to do with it. I really don't think this is an opinion....I lived this. My experience is that practice was more tiring than games, because my coaches INTENTIONALLY made you run gassers...and then put you in practice-game situations to help you learn to make decisions when you're gassed.

I think what Milliman is doing with scheduling is smart. But what do I know? He could have other reasons for these decisions, and I'm just assuming intent, where there isn't any.

.... Milliman is not on any clock. The administration is perfectly happy with him and I see no evidence that the lacrosse community at Hopkins has any leverage that will effect that. I am not as wired into the program as I was at one time, but given the administrations general behavior towards the program everything is just hunky dunky. Now Milliman may be putting pressure on himself.

On the rest we will just agree to disagree. Note that is not that I am saying that the Georgetown game was the reason for their fourth quarter play. They played an awful lot of defense in the first 3 quarters. What I object to is the absolutism that athletes see and feel no effect from previous games in the way of playing games too closely together. Also object to the implication that I can't recognize a gassed team when I see one. :roll:
First, there aren’t many “creampuffs” left in college lacrosse. Seems like most teams have some pretty talented players and good coaches.

Having said that, playing “less elite” teams has its advantages. It helps to develop and broaden the sport. In lopsided games, you can get your bench players some real game experience, which is invaluable.

Playing tough teams all the time has its advantages, but also some drawbacks. The valuable playing experience may be limited to fewer players. Your reserves don’t get playing time because you are always struggling to win. For those on the bench, playing mop up duty in a real game is still more valuable than simply practicing.

Alabama football doesn’t only play elite teams. They still regularly schedule FCS football teams. In recent years, the Crimson Tide outscored five of those FCS teams by a combined 230 points. One of those teams? Mercer … yep, from the same school that played UNC in lax last week.

https://rolltidewire.usatoday.com/galle ... opponents/

Saban actually doesn’t want to play FCS teams. So why does he still schedule them? To get the “W” and make the college football playoffs.

https://bamahammer.com/2022/06/16/alaba ... tment/amp/

I actually respect the fact that PM is not shying away from tough schedules. It’s also consistent with Hopkins tradition. To be the best, you play the best, correct?

Thing is, even a top-ten caliber team can wind up with a losing record and not even be eligible for the playoffs with the Blue Jays’ current schedule.

THAT would not be ok.

If building in a few breaks in a schedule is good enough for Nick Saban, arguably the greatest college football coach of all time, it’s worth keeping in mind for Hopkins lacrosse.

Just sayin’ … I still think this Hopkins team has a good shot at making the tournament this season, schedule be damned.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Sagittarius A*

Post by Sagittarius A* »

.... Milliman is not on any clock. The administration is perfectly happy with him and I see no evidence that the lacrosse community at Hopkins has any leverage that will effect that. I am not as wired into the program as I was at one time, but given the administrations general behavior towards the program everything is just hunky dunky. Now Milliman may be putting pressure on himself.

On the rest we will just agree to disagree. Note that is not that I am saying that the Georgetown game was the reason for their fourth quarter play. They played an awful lot of defense in the first 3 quarters. What I object to is the absolutism that athletes see and feel no effect from previous games in the way of playing games too closely together. Also object to the implication that I can't recognize a gassed team when I see one. :roll:
The team gave up 3 goals in the entire first half, but just collapsed in the 4th quarter. They were clearly gassed.
I'm sure PM would like to make the playoffs this year. There's a lot of lacrosse left to play.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:30 pm

The team gave up 3 goals in the entire first half, but just collapsed in the 4th quarter. They were clearly gassed.
I'm sure PM would like to make the playoffs this year. There's a lot of lacrosse left to play.
agreed they looked a little gassed in the 4th.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

DerArzt wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:43 pm Has Hopkins ever seriously considered dropping to Div III or III?
With Daniels everything is on the table if it can help him with a certain audience.
DocBarrister

Daniels Don’t Do Small

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:08 pm
DerArzt wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:43 pm Has Hopkins ever seriously considered dropping to Div III or III?
With Daniels everything is on the table if it can help him with a certain audience.
This is not President Daniels’ “style” at all.

Daniels purchased the splashiest building available for SAIS.

https://sais.jhu.edu/555-pennsylvania-avenue

Daniels has presided over a splashy rise in the U.S. News & World Report rankings.

https://www.usnews.com/best-colleges/jhu-2077

Daniels announced the splashiest student center ever constructed at Hopkins, even destroying a new-ish arts building to make room for it.

https://studentaffairs.jhu.edu/viceprov ... nt-center/

Daniels has made the Johns Hopkins endowment competitive again.

https://www.pionline.com/endowments-and ... ent-office

If anything, President Daniels likes to do things BIG. He seems so obsessed with BIG, SPLASHY accomplishments that one must wonder if he suffers from penile dysmorphic disorder.

There is no way the guy wants to “shrink” Hopkins lacrosse to Division III.

No, based on his past behavior, Daniels wants a BIG, SPLASHY Division I national lacrosse championship trophy under his belt (so to speak) to go along with the university’s LARGE ENDOWMENT.

DocBarrister 8-)
@DocBarrister
Hi to low

Post by Hi to low »

Doc,
Half of the student body wouldn’t know a lacrosse stick if they were hit in the head by one.Daniels and lacrosse are on different channels. He may?? know the UNC result provided he wasn’t out “woking” with the BoD. Splash!!
primitiveskills

Post by primitiveskills »

Despite two high-quality wins, one loss to UNC and here we go with this s*** again
OCanada

Re: Daniels Don’t Do Small

Post by OCanada »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 8:32 pm

Daniels has presided over a splashy rise in the U.S. News & World Report rankings.

Daniels announced the splashiest student center ever constructed at Hopkins, even destroying a new-ish arts building to make room for it.

If anything, President Daniels likes to do things BIG. He seems so obsessed with BIG, SPLASHY accomplishments that one must wonder if he suffers from penile dysmorphic disorder.

No, based on his past behavior, Daniels wants a BIG, SPLASHY Division I national lacrosse championship trophy under his belt (so to speak) to go along with the university’s LARGE ENDOWMENT.

DocBarrister 8-)
Where did “the make the endowment competitive”thing come from in the article?
Last edited by OCanada on Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

now, you're doing it on purpose.
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

DocBarrister wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:10 pm
a fan wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:57 pm
jhu72 wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:34 am
a fan wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:56 pm Wait to you hear about the Final Four, where you have to play for all the marbles on two day's rest....or to help with the math, 3 games in 9 days. Against the best teams in D1.

Seem to remember Hopkins players faring quite well with the 3 games in 9 days format.
... not all games are the same in terms of causing fatigue going into a subsequent game. Hopkins also won an awful lot of those games without having two or three day "rest" practice games during the season. Personally I don't see a need for the games, or an advantage in having them, all else being equal. Now if it is a matter of difficulty in scheduling a team you want to play, that is another matter.
From an outsider's perspective?

Every game against a top team is a chance for your boys to improve. And if you look at this forum, it's pretty obvious that Milliman is on the clock. He doesn't have the time to slowly and gradually improve this team. He needs to get these players and this program better NOW.

Playing UNC instead of (insert creampuff) will get help your players get better, imho. And learn how to deal with a close game in the 4th. And maybe Milliman will learn to play a few more kids, and lengthen the bench. Whole lot of good things come out of playing UNC instead of a creampuff, if you ask me. And I know you didn't ask.

And if it's not obvious, I agree with wgdsr 100%.....I didn't play at the D1 level, but I can tell you that I played both soccer and lacrosse, starting for both programs. I NEVER got tired from having mulitiple games. It was common to play in tournaments where you played two entire soccer games per day for three days straight. Never got gassed because of that. That's what conditioning is for. And I'd like to think that Hopkins conditioning and meal program was just a tad more sophisticated and effective than it was for a soccer or lacrosse team in the 80's.

It's just like wgdsr says...what makes you gassed is sprinting for minutes on end. And it takes just a few minutes to recover. So if you think you saw gassed players in the Hop game? It was because they played too much D for minutes at a time. The fact that they played Saturday had NOTHING to do with it. I really don't think this is an opinion....I lived this. My experience is that practice was more tiring than games, because my coaches INTENTIONALLY made you run gassers...and then put you in practice-game situations to help you learn to make decisions when you're gassed.

I think what Milliman is doing with scheduling is smart. But what do I know? He could have other reasons for these decisions, and I'm just assuming intent, where there isn't any.

First, there aren’t many “creampuffs” left in college lacrosse. Seems like most teams have some pretty talented players and good coaches.

Having said that, playing “less elite” teams has its advantages. It helps to develop and broaden the sport. In lopsided games, you can get your bench players some real game experience, which is invaluable.

Playing tough teams all the time has its advantages, but also some drawbacks. The valuable playing experience may be limited to fewer players. Your reserves don’t get playing time because you are always struggling to win. For those on the bench, playing mop up duty in a real game is still more valuable than simply practicing.

Alabama football doesn’t only play elite teams. They still regularly schedule FCS football teams. In recent years, the Crimson Tide outscored five of those FCS teams by a combined 230 points. One of those teams? Mercer … yep, from the same school that played UNC in lax last week.

https://rolltidewire.usatoday.com/galle ... opponents/

Saban actually doesn’t want to play FCS teams. So why does he still schedule them? To get the “W” and make the college football playoffs.

https://bamahammer.com/2022/06/16/alaba ... tment/amp/

I actually respect the fact that PM is not shying away from tough schedules. It’s also consistent with Hopkins tradition. To be the best, you play the best, correct?

Thing is, even a top-ten caliber team can wind up with a losing record and not even be eligible for the playoffs with the Blue Jays’ current schedule.

THAT would not be ok.

If building in a few breaks in a schedule is good enough for Nick Saban, arguably the greatest college football coach of all time, it’s worth keeping in mind for Hopkins lacrosse.

Just sayin’ … I still think this Hopkins team has a good shot at making the tournament this season, schedule be damned.

DocBarrister 8-)
doc with a cogent post. differ on top-ten caliber when you're under .500. and yeah, it's no longer decipherable what kind of resume you need, so really you can set any kind of schedule and see where the chips fall. still, i'd lean toward difficult and schedule be damned is a little wrong way when it may be what gets a team in. otherwise, you can now win on team building with some breathers.
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

Sagittarius A* wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 4:41 pm It looks like UMD's starting goalie is out for the season:

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/ ... jury/60707
Terrible news. The kid is a real talent
51percentcorn

Post by 51percentcorn »

We're somehow back to Daniels????? Hopkins lost a lacrosse game early in the season - it happens. I believe some physical and mental fatigue did set in - along with some second half adjustments by Carolina - it's no secret - you shoot off stick high on Tim. But look at the differences
SHOTS - 1st half 21-20 UNC 2nd half 23-12 UNC
SOG - 1st half 13-12 Hopkins 2nd half 14-8 UNC
Marcille Save Percentage 1st half 75% 2nd Half low 40's 4th quarter 18%
Hopkins did better on face-offs and ground balls were equal in the second half
3 of Hopkins 4 failed clears were in the second half

It shouldn't be an excuse but it is more taxing - again maybe more mental than physical - to play 23 guys against a preseason Top 3 team on Saturday then play a team you defeat by 20+ goals where you literally play the entire team a day earlier.

You simply won't win very many games against quality opponents putting up 32 shots and unfortunately it may be hard to get alot of quality shots off on Saturday.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

51percentcorn wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:16 am We're somehow back to Daniels????? Hopkins lost a lacrosse game early in the season - it happens. I believe some physical and mental fatigue did set in - along with some second half adjustments by Carolina - it's no secret - you shoot off stick high on Tim. But look at the differences
SHOTS - 1st half 21-20 UNC 2nd half 23-12 UNC
SOG - 1st half 13-12 Hopkins 2nd half 14-8 UNC
Marcille Save Percentage 1st half 75% 2nd Half low 40's 4th quarter 18%
Hopkins did better on face-offs and ground balls were equal in the second half
3 of Hopkins 4 failed clears were in the second half

It shouldn't be an excuse but it is more taxing - again maybe more mental than physical - to play 23 guys against a preseason Top 3 team on Saturday then play a team you defeat by 20+ goals where you literally play the entire team a day earlier.

You simply won't win very many games against quality opponents putting up 32 shots and unfortunately it may be hard to get alot of quality shots off on Saturday.
Please stop making sense, 51. Don't you know this is the Hopkins message board?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

OCanada wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:01 am

DocBarrister 8-)
Daniels increase the endowment from about $2 billion to $8 billion ($9 billion in 2021). You don’t think $8 billion is competitive?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
OCanada

Post by OCanada »

DocBarrister wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:24 pm

DocBarrister 8-)
Daniels increase the endowment from about $2 billion to $8 billion ($9 billion in 2021). You don’t think $8 billion is competitive?

DocBarrister
The endowment increased but the article only references 2 promotions and no size amount. Seems to be a disconnect.

To place a value judgment i would want the breakdown between restricted and unrestricted, how much of the increase is due to investment manager performance and how much was new money, what the needs are etc

I recall getting a call from the Capital Campaign when they were going to fall shoet of goal by more than a billion. MB made a donation and voila financial aid
Finster

Post by Finster »

For those here unfamiliar with the inside scuttlebutt, who are you referring to? Can anyone say? Is it sensitive? Who is the ‘certain audience’? Mike Bloomberg?
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

OCanada wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:41 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:24 pm

DocBarrister 8-)

DocBarrister
The endowment increased but the article onky references 2 promotions and no size amount. Seem to be a disconnect.

To place a value judgment i would want the breakdown between restricted and unrestricted, biw much of the increase is due to investment manager performance and how much was new money, what the needs are etc

I recall getting a call from the Capital Campaign when they were going to fall shoet of goal by more than a billion. MB made a donation and voila financial aid
The article mentions the $8 billion figure.

I don’t know the details of how the endowment is constituted, but we are in a better position now than before President Daniels’ tenure.

President Daniels has already established himself as a major Hopkins president. I would say he is well on his way to being one of the best.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

With most acknowledging the team gassed out in the 4th. Is that an acceptable reason or excuse? Isn’t it Jay Dyers job to make sure they don’t gas out? Or isn’t it incumbent on the coaches to manage the bench and depth to manage the player fatigue?
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

Jay Dyer is bullet proof to the faithful.

Nice interview with Angelus. The reporter says he's 5'7 which he doesn't dispute, the website says he's 5'9. Whatever the size he's one Petro got right.
https://pressboxonline.com/2023/02/15/q ... b-angelus/
flalax22

Post by flalax22 »

jhu06 wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 4:57 pm Jay Dyer is bullet proof to the faithful.
Which seems to be from years and years of praise from Petro.

I think it’s fair to question if it is warranted if the Jays gas out and can’t finish a second game in three days.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”