Hobart 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Hobart 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

xxxxxxx wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:24 pm Randomly looking at Hobart roster, 61 players, wow, how do you keep all those guys happy.
What’s interesting is we were just allowed scholarships and aren’t funded yet, another 2-3yrs to be fully funded, so while there’s aid those kids including 5th years really want to be there by paying for it. Should at a lot to future kids about the staff and institution.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

In case anyone missed this

The 2023 lacrosse season is only one-game old, but Hobart College junior attackman Anthony Dattellas has already earned two weekly awards. One day after being named the Atlantic 10 Offensive Player of the Week, the U.S. Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association tabbed the Camillus, New York, native to its Division I Team of the Week.

Against Canisius on Saturday, Dattellas erupted for a career-high seven goals and added an assist to lead the Statesmen to a 20-14 season-opening victory. He produced six of his eight points in the first quarter, helping Hobart build a 9-1 lead after 15 minutes. Dattellas tacked on two more goals in the second quarter as the Statesmen carried a 14-4 lead into halftime.

A three-year starter, Dattellas has appeared in 21 career games, logging 39 goals and 15 assists for 54 points.

Hobart (1-0) will return to action Saturday, Feb. 18, when the Statesmen visit Lehigh (1-0). The Mountain Hawks defeated Fairfield 20-10 in their season opener. The game will be the 11th all-time meeting between the programs with the Statesmen holding a 7-3 series lead, including a 14-13 victory in Geneva last season.
xxxxxxx

Post by xxxxxxx »

Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:46 am
xxxxxxx wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 10:24 pm Randomly looking at Hobart roster, 61 players, wow, how do you keep all those guys happy.
What’s interesting is we were just allowed scholarships and aren’t funded yet, another 2-3yrs to be fully funded, so while there’s aid those kids including 5th years really want to be there by paying for it. Should at a lot to future kids about the staff and institution.
Good for them, its great for the school too, guys must def like playing there. I know they don't go for the weather:) Good luck this year.
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

xxxxxxx wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:15 am
Farfromgeneva wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 6:46 am
Good for them, its great for the school too, guys must def like playing there. I know they don't go for the weather:) Good luck this year.
The weather is just grand! No idea what you are talking about…

https://www.hws.edu/offices/facilities/snow.aspx
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Any size amongst the 61? :lol:
SMAIN

Post by SMAIN »

61 players..... my senior year we had 19. I guess that's why I played.
10stone5

Post by 10stone5 »

SMAIN wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 12:28 pm 61 players..... my senior year we had 19. I guess that's why I played.
We were down to 19 as well my sophomore year (not Hobart)
a major purge (don’t ask) — what a disaster that was.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Roster size was 45 all four years, but the B team always had some good talent, too. Those 2 weekends of tryouts were a bit#h...not to mention the subsequent practices in Bristol in full sweats(that's why Boswell parking lot was a welcome alternative--the "black turf" as we called it, still better than the sauna in full sweats)..and most offensive players wore the padded pants as we were knocked down or into the walls often!
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

FMUBart wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 11:40 am

Any size amongst the 61? :lol:
Problem is the fixed amount of food they have to eat from! (Kidding everyone knows you can load up at saga, my FR yr there was a teammate named Pat French who was 400lbs and used to bring ziplock bags to Saga and load up to bring home)
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

FMUBart wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:18 pm Roster size was 45 all four years, but the B team always had some good talent, too. Those 2 weekends of tryouts were a bit#h...not to mention the subsequent practices in Bristol in full sweats(that's why Boswell parking lot was a welcome alternative--the "black turf" as we called it, still better than the sauna in full sweats)..and most offensive players wore the padded pants as we were knocked down or into the walls often!
FMU, you had it "easy" with weekend tryouts. During my time tryouts were over 6 days. Attack & D were done together. Midfield separate. The catch was depending on position and day, you were in Bristol from 5 to 7 AM, or 10 to Midnight. Goalies did both shifts. Shoveling the parking lot wasn't bad after being bounced off the walls of Bristol by Schardt, Howard, Martin or Corcoran. Those were the days ...lol
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Sounds like we just missed each other, OBM! We were issued our own equipment when I was there. I heard stories that back in the day, you grabbed a helmet, armpads and gloves out of the big laundry bins and returned them after that tryout day; then the next day you went back and grabbed sweaty equipment(which wasn't the stuff you wore the day before) and did it all over again--thankfully, this was pre-covid :lol:
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

oldbartman wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:32 pm
FMUBart wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 1:18 pm Roster size was 45 all four years, but the B team always had some good talent, too. Those 2 weekends of tryouts were a bit#h...not to mention the subsequent practices in Bristol in full sweats(that's why Boswell parking lot was a welcome alternative--the "black turf" as we called it, still better than the sauna in full sweats)..and most offensive players wore the padded pants as we were knocked down or into the walls often!
FMU, you had it "easy" with weekend tryouts. During my time tryouts were over 6 days. Attack & D were done together. Midfield separate. The catch was depending on position and day, you were in Bristol from 5 to 7 AM, or 10 to Midnight. Goalies did both shifts. Shoveling the parking lot wasn't bad after being bounced off the walls of Bristol by Schardt, Howard, Martin or Corcoran. Those were the days ...lol
I did 10 to midnight. Pretty tough sleeping after that, lol. Pretty jacked up.
Bart

Post by Bart »

Coach Mac was a riot to play for. B team was the place DJU fermented athletic talent.

If I don’t disremember tryouts were 2 weekends Fri,Sat nights and Sunday morning.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

FMUBart wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:54 pm Sounds like we just missed each other, OBM! We were issued our own equipment when I was there. I heard stories that back in the day, you grabbed a helmet, armpads and gloves out of the big laundry bins and returned them after that tryout day; then the next day you went back and grabbed sweaty equipment(which wasn't the stuff you wore the day before) and did it all over again--thankfully, this was pre-covid :lol:
Yes that is how it was. My RA FY was Hank Janczyk, he told me to buy my own gear. Didn't do that till sophomore year. It was worth every penny.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Ketch wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 5:42 pm
oldbartman wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 3:32 pm
I did 10 to midnight. Pretty tough sleeping after that, lol. Pretty jacked up.
I remember the post tryout sprint to the Oaks before closing. Everyone "loved" 50 somewhat sweaty/clean lax players ordering 3 beers at once.
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

Ketch, Friday night 10 - midnight and the Saturday 10am - noon and same for Sunday. Then practices would typically have the same schedule. Somehow, the routine proved successful! Best part was the popsicles Coach U provided post-practice :lol:
Ketch

Post by Ketch »

FMUBart wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:01 am Ketch, Friday night 10 - midnight and the Saturday 10am - noon and same for Sunday. Then practices would typically have the same schedule. Somehow, the routine proved successful! Best part was the popsicles Coach U provided post-practice :lol:
I don't remember days of the week. I just remember 10-12 for tryouts and winter practice, and then being out on the parking lot. Absolutely brutal.

I do remember some of the football guys trying out. No skill at all for most of them, but some of them were such good athletes that two years after initially trying out they were starting.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

Ketch wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 12:57 pm
FMUBart wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:01 am Ketch, Friday night 10 - midnight and the Saturday 10am - noon and same for Sunday. Then practices would typically have the same schedule. Somehow, the routine proved successful! Best part was the popsicles Coach U provided post-practice :lol:
I don't remember days of the week. I just remember 10-12 for tryouts and winter practice, and then being out on the parking lot. Absolutely brutal.

I do remember some of the football guys trying out. No skill at all for most of them, but some of them were such good athletes that two years after initially trying out they were starting.
Tom Schardt (3X lax DII-III AA) & Mac Nelson come to mind. Ed Howard (2X D II-III lax AA) was the NYS champion the 220 hurdles in hs and a a highly (D 1) recruited basketball player. I think Ed Cooney and Steve Wood were fb converts as well. I'm sure that I've missed a lot.
PDSlax

Post by PDSlax »

Has there been any update on Adam Shea's injury / status for tomorrow's game?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

PDSlax wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2023 2:48 pm Has there been any update on Adam Shea's injury / status for tomorrow's game?
I’m high on Schoefiked but a smaller 18yr old vs a 22-23yr old Sisselberger is going to be challenging

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”