York 2023

D3 Mens Lacrosse
Asgot

Re: York 2023

Post by Asgot »

It was just announced that York game on 2-11 against Ursinus has been moved to 2-22 at 7pm. Ursinus’ league has rule that they can not begin competing until 2-18.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Kinda embarrassing for Ursinus. Who scheduled and approved this game ? It’s been on the Ursinus website for months. Might be the last time York schedules them for a while
Laxdds

Post by Laxdds »

The Centennial allows spring practice to start on February 1st. Then it says something about the first day of competition to allow 11 Saturdays prior to the start of the conference tournament. The 11th seems to fit those criteria. I'm sure the NCAA has regs on a minimum number of practice days. Either way it does seem to a a pretty big OOPPS!
TopCheddar

Post by TopCheddar »

I wonder how York will be preparing this weekend after hearing the game will be cancelled. I know rumors of goalies still competing for the starting spot. Junior and senior goalies are competing for the starting spot. Washington & Lee will be a great first competition. Twitter claims that Ursinus didn't fight for the game and is being called soft
cigslax11

Post by cigslax11 »

Ursinus had a head coaching change after the schedule was put together, let’s not get our panties in a bunch over moving a game 11 days. If York doesn’t want to schedule them again over moving a game 11 DAYS, that’s just soft in my opinion. Mistakes happen and on the plus side it gives both teams more time to prepare for a matchup I’m excited to watch.

As always, Go Bears.

#SidelineCigs
#YorkisHiding
TopCheddar

Post by TopCheddar »

I feel like it is no excuse as it has been on the schedule since last year. Bad athletic directing as York also would be hosting. At least put up a fight for the parents or fans. Also, I agree, it gives both teams to prepare as well so it will be a interesting one. They have not played each other since 2014. Both teams I assume will have film on each other, and it will come down to who is more prepared. Hopefully Ursinus can hold on to the Spartans past the first half for it to be a game to watch.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Very unprofessional. I am sure both teams had parents planning on traveling in from out of town. Some of those plans might not have been refundable. The kids will be fine. It’s everyone that was traveling for the game that suffers.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

cigslax11 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:25 am Ursinus had a head coaching change after the schedule was put together, let’s not get our panties in a bunch over moving a game 11 days. If York doesn’t want to schedule them again over moving a game 11 DAYS, that’s just soft in my opinion. Mistakes happen and on the plus side it gives both teams more time to prepare for a matchup I’m excited to watch.

As always, Go Bears.

#SidelineCigs
#YorkisHiding
From what I understand it is not the moving part it was the way it was communicated to York, and the incredibly late notice that they had while the Ursinus parents knew this was going on far earlier. Speaks to a level of unprofessionalism at Ursinus.
From What I am being told there is more frustration and anger with the conference than Ursinus as the coach is an interim and the AD is new.

I know several of the parents were planning to attend as this was York’s only home game until late March and now with the date change most of them will be unable to attend
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

cigslax11 wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 11:25 am
#YorkisHiding
From who?
They’ve put together what’s largely considered one of the toughest schedules, and have done so for a few years running now.

I understand trolling, but at least do the work and try to make sense.

#KnowYourConferenceRules
#BushLeagueMistakes
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

York board been quiet.

first game this week. Where will W&L be this season? They seem to always have a solid team. Last year was a close game.
DeepPocket

Post by DeepPocket »

Jumbo wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:07 am York board been quiet.

first game this week. Where will W&L be this season? They seem to always have a solid team. Last year was a close game.
Last year Facciponti, with Geeen on the wing, spotted York the ball 14 of 18 in the middle of the field. W&L didn’t see the freshman Mayer coming, and when they did adjust defensively, Reynolds started pouring them in with time and room from up top. Still, it was a 1 goal game. And these two teams have become familiar foes to one another.

I see Mayer’s productivity stepping up in his second year, even though teams now know he’s coming... He’s just that good. I also think there are a few more offensive surprises, lots of gunslingers in these last few classes. But IMO lots yet to be seen at D and in net.

Give me 15-13 York, in an uncharacteristic, offensively focused nail biter.
MAC - The SEC of DIII lacrosse.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I actually feel like W&L goalie kept them in the game for the entire day and without him, it would have been a 5-6 goal game. That being said he is now gone, I know that Michael is gone as well but York's defense gave them far fewer opportunities to shoot (W&L was outshot 50-23). after watching York a few times the biggest obvious question for them is who replace Michael in the cage and I do not anticipate that the goalie question will be answered until game time on Saturday. I believe that Childs and Drenner have been slowly trying to change the offense more to fit their style and they may finally have the pieces to do it.
I feel like the defense will be good to very good as they bring back a lot of pieces and Biava could have a breakout season at close, Greene is a preseason player-of-the-year candidate and the ssdm are almost all back.

Offensively, Mayer will not sneak up on anybody this year but he will also benefit from having a true third attackman instead of a mishmash of people (I believe that 5 different people started at the 3rd attack spot.
I was really surprised that Jack Grayson did not get any preseason love as I think he is going to have a breakout season at midfield. While the midfield after the top 3 are young they are also deep and talented.
LaxFan1991

Post by LaxFan1991 »

Asgot wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:56 pm I actually feel like W&L goalie kept them in the game for the entire day and without him, it would have been a 5-6 goal game. That being said he is now gone, I know that Michael is gone as well but York's defense gave them far fewer opportunities to shoot (W&L was outshot 50-23). after watching York a few times the biggest obvious question for them is who replace Michael in the cage and I do not anticipate that the goalie question will be answered until game time on Saturday. I believe that Childs and Drenner have been slowly trying to change the offense more to fit their style and they may finally have the pieces to do it.
I feel like the defense will be good to very good as they bring back a lot of pieces and Biava could have a breakout season at close, Greene is a preseason player-of-the-year candidate and the ssdm are almost all back.

Offensively, Mayer will not sneak up on anybody this year but he will also benefit from having a true third attackman instead of a mishmash of people (I believe that 5 different people started at the 3rd attack spot.
I was really surprised that Jack Grayson did not get any preseason love as I think he is going to have a breakout season at midfield. While the midfield after the top 3 are young they are also deep and talented.
It will be very interesting to see who starts in the cage. I have heard that the senior and freshman are front runners by a lot. Excited for game week!
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

LaxFan1991 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 2:37 pm
Asgot wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:56 pm I actually feel like W&L goalie kept them in the game for the entire day and without him, it would have been a 5-6 goal game. That being said he is now gone, I know that Michael is gone as well but York's defense gave them far fewer opportunities to shoot (W&L was outshot 50-23). after watching York a few times the biggest obvious question for them is who replace Michael in the cage and I do not anticipate that the goalie question will be answered until game time on Saturday. I believe that Childs and Drenner have been slowly trying to change the offense more to fit their style and they may finally have the pieces to do it.

It will be very interesting to see who starts in the cage. I have heard that the senior and freshman are front runners by a lot. Excited for game week!
I have actually heard that it is opposite. I could see almost any of them starting with the exception of the freshman. If he starts that would be a surprise.
Last edited by Asgot on Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacAttack

Post by MacAttack »

Looking forward to seeing how it all shakes out this weekend.

Like someone mentioned, the offense looks like it's going thru some revamping and may look a little different this year. Some young faces and solid returners should keep things interesting. They lit it up in the Fall, and once they get on target I think they'll put on a show.

Defensively, I think they will be solid. We've seen these shifts in the past with York. Remember when Tyler Nation left the same was being talked about, how will York respond, will they be the same, etc...RK was a great playmaker, but it's next man up for York. Greene proved that last year, and I expect Biava and Hull to prove that this year. Both fit the fast, aggressive, attacking style defense, and I'm looking forward to seeing these guys get comfortable together. Pair them with Blackmon, Greene, and Rutledge, I think they'll be a force. Heck, the defense held CNU to 7 at the half, which is pretty respectable and much better than last year. If the offense scored some points in that half, we may not even be talking about the D.

Goalie is a toss-up, but again, I fully expect whoever they pick will fill the hole. Let's face it, these players wouldn't be there if they couldn't.
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

I think the defense is going to surprise some people with its depth and ability. between the defense and the FOGO's York should be able to possess the ball enough to make it tough on W&L. Also W&L has to break in a new goalie as well as several new pieces on defense. I think that W&L has a very good defenseman but it is York's overall defense that wins the game and if the offense shoots like it did in the fall it will not be that close.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

Almost game time. Any predictions for starting lineups? Key players? Any surprises?
Asgot

Post by Asgot »

Jumbo wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:38 am Almost game time. Any predictions for starting lineups? Key players? Any surprises?
think the attack is pretty simple with Harnick, Mayer, and Burbank. Do not be surprised if the 3 seniors get broken up in some fashion, They like Almond, McCarver, Palehonki, and Hartz and they also like Kazella and Fischer, so I will say Grayson, Kazella, and Fischer on one line and JWilly, Ames, and Palehoki or McCarver on the other.

Blackmon,Biava, and Hull at close

Greene and then Rutledge and Ruebling or Snodgrass at LSM

SSDM Mentzer, Shields, Sock, Jens

fogo Facciponti

goalie crap shoot- heard that this was going to be a game-time decision
LaxFan1991

Post by LaxFan1991 »

Asgot wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:51 am
Jumbo wrote: Wed Feb 15, 2023 9:38 am Almost game time. Any predictions for starting lineups? Key players? Any surprises?
think the attack is pretty simple with Harnick, Mayer, and Burbank. Do not be surprised if the 3 seniors get broken up in some fashion, They like Almond, McCarver, Palehonki, and Hartz and they also like Kazella and Fischer, so I will say Grayson, Kazella, and Fischer on one line and JWilly, Ames, and Palehoki or McCarver on the other.

Blackmon,Biava, and Hull at close

Greene and then Rutledge and Ruebling or Snodgrass at LSM

SSDM Mentzer, Shields, Sock, Jens

fogo Facciponti

goalie crap shoot- heard that this was going to be a game-time decision
Midfield - Wilhelm, Grayson, Clark, Fisher, Kazella, paleholki

Callinan in the goal.
Jumbo

Post by Jumbo »

I am with you on midfield. 14 wasn’t on the field at the last scrimmage. What’s the word? Injury? School? I think 9 has a shot to work in that second line.

From the scrimmages, they mixed 1,44, and 33 in with 7, and 40. So I think we will see 6-7 middies getting similar time.
40,7,14,1,44,33,9 and maybe some 22

I think 52 will get mixed in with the attack. They also seem to like 2 (he has been on a lot of the emo)

But what do I know. Some coaches use scrimmages to gets looks at kids that aren’t ready yet.

Return to “D3 MENS LACROSSE”