Johns Hopkins 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
HopFan16

Re: Johns Hopkins 2023

Post by HopFan16 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:26 pm The hop forum never disappoints, if they had won tonight we would be hearing they should move to number one. Now it’s a huge scheduling mistake, you guys are the best.
It's 1 or 2 guys out of like 10 saying that
Hoponboard

Post by Hoponboard »

Shout out to Jack Hawley who was clutch on the wings in the 2nd half. WHO through sheer toughness gave Hop a two man EMO opportunity. That unit is NOW zero for the season.
jhu06

Post by jhu06 »

xxxxxxx wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:26 pm The hop forum never disappoints, if they had won tonight we would be hearing they should move to number one. Now it’s a huge scheduling mistake, you guys are the best.
Actually at halftime Marcille belongs in the Tewaaraton conversation was my primary thought.
-Fix the man up
-fix the field
-fix the interior finishing
-find narewski
-sell the NAG stuff in the bookstore
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:25 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:10 pm Could have substituted Towson or UMBC for North Carolina.
No, you're not getting it. The weekend we usually play UNC wasn't an option. The Heels have to play Syracuse that weekend now, the first of two meetings as part of the ACC's pestilent new scheduling system. That's why we had to go find a new opponent for that weekend (Utah), otherwise we wouldn't be playing anyone Feb. 25. The question was whether or not to schedule UNC midweek instead — really the only option if you want to keep the game — or to drop the game altogether. If they dropped the game, they wouldn't have substituted a different team in. They would have just played 14 games instead of 15 with no game today.
TNLAX wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:08 pm
flalax22 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:59 pm
DocBarrister wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:54 pm
Madlax59 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:52 pm
youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 6:39 pm UNC adjusting on O, JHU not adjusting on D.
Didnt watch the Georgetown game....but how did JHU beat them. Hard to believe same team. Begs the question why would you schedule UNC 3 days after playing G'town??
The scheduling is stupid. Absolutely stupid.

DocBarrister
So is lifting after a game when you have a Tuesday game coming up. Totally asinine
This may have been a case of Quint just talking to say something. I find it hard to believe any trainer would have a team lifting after playing a game. Stretching and maybe some sort of very light exercise to help cool down I can see.
That's what it sounded like to me. It is extremely common for competitive D1 athletes to continue moving/light work following a game. Ever go into a professional locker room/facility after a contest? Lots of guys on stationary bikes. This is a nothingburger.
Fine … then drop the game.

I’m sure the players wanted to play North Carolina, but at what cost?

Also, you’re speculating. Quint said what he said. Maybe what he said was accurate, maybe not. But there’s no obvious reason to doubt his reporting.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

jhu06 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:30 pm
Actually at halftime Marcille belongs in the Tewaaraton conversation was my primary thought.
-Fix the man up
-fix the field
-fix the interior finishing
-find narewski
-sell the NAG stuff in the bookstore
Marcille still belongs in the Tewaaraton conversation. He is averaging slightly more than 15 saves a game with a 0.605 save percentage. And he has earned those stats against three very good opponents.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

TNLAX wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:08 pm This may have been a case of Quint just talking to say something. I find it hard to believe any trainer would have a team lifting after playing a game. Stretching and maybe some sort of very light exercise to help cool down I can see.
Quint would lift. He would. That's exactly who he is and he's not BS'ing. And it's served him well. Not for everyone though.
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

nyjay wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:38 pm
TNLAX wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:08 pm This may have been a case of Quint just talking to say something. I find it hard to believe any trainer would have a team lifting after playing a game. Stretching and maybe some sort of very light exercise to help cool down I can see.
Quint would lift. He would. That's exactly who he is and he's not BS'ing. And it's served him well. Not for everyone though.
Quint’s one of the best goalies of all time.

Why isn’t that mentioned more around here?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

HopFan16 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:27 pm
It's 1 or 2 guys out of like 10 saying that
If they had won, the only thing that changes is that they won.

The schedule would still be absolutely nuts.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

Hopkins wins 2 games jump into the top 10 ranking. A lost tonight and a lost this Saturday do they drop out the top 20 just as quick?
a fan

Post by a fan »

youthathletics wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:15 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:56 pm Wait to you hear about the Final Four, where you have to play for all the marbles on two day's rest....or to help with the math, 3 games in 9 days. Against the best teams in D1.

Seem to remember Hopkins players faring quite well with the 3 games in 9 days format.
how dare you 😂😂. Quint even said the same thing in the early portion of the game. And how in the hell did anyone know Loyola would beat UMD after a crappy 22’ season.

Hopfan16 makes a valuable argument. Scheduling teams is tough, especially with conference games locked in. You often take what you can get, and it is often a 2-year deal.

I think it’s the bands fault, when the players don’t hear them after goals, it creates stress on the field and the play tighter. 😉😂
Or maybe it's just that Milliman knows a mess more about the schedule and his team than we do.

Well, except Doc, naturally.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

That was disappointing, but primarily because I thought they were gonna win through much of the game (kinda reminds me of a certain game last Sunday). We've found a goalie who is well above average, even approaching really good. How long has it been since we had that? We also have found a middie who can score for 10+ yards with a guy draped all over him. Melendez is another type that we haven't had in a while either.

So the needle is pointing up. We do need some of the injured folks back though. FOs were a major problem tonight. Could really use Nawreski back (though I worry if that's ever going to happen - no inside info, just don't feel good vibes). Szu and Deans would help a lot too. As would Evans and McD. Don't know why the staff didn't use more guys tonight, but I think it was a mistake.

The schedule is what is it. You have to play good teams (and beat some of them) to make the tourney. I'd rather they play this game on a Tuesday than not play it at all. It will make them better. This is Hopkins. This is what should be expected of the team.

We have two good wins under our belts. Three would have been nice though.
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:41 pm
Quint’s one of the best goalies of all time.

Why isn’t that mentioned more around here?

DocBarrister
Absolutely true - he was awesome and a lot of fun to watch. Little dude and unbelievably quick with great stick skills and a huge chip on his shoulder. Had an awesome D in front of him too, DP, James DeTo, Voelker, etc. He also deserves an enormous amount of credit for creating the media career for himself that he has. No one can doubt his work ethic either. He is a unique personality though.
MDlaxfan76

Post by MDlaxfan76 »

40% on FO's led to 32 shots to 44 shots taken. But only 5 more on goal for NC.

4 more FO's, 4 more GBs in total, only one apart on TO's.

Would have needed superior to opponent goaltending to overcome that.

Marcille's 58% is top rate, but Krieg's was even better at 67%
nyjay

Post by nyjay »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:00 pm 40% on FO's led to 32 shots to 44 shots taken. But only 5 more on goal for NC.

4 more FO's, 4 more GBs in total, only one apart on TO's.

Would have needed superior to opponent goaltending to overcome that.

Marcille's 58% is top rate, but Krieg's was even better at 67%
Agree - needed another answer on FO's. And Krieg was really, really good.
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

MDlaxfan76 wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:00 pm Marcille's 58% is top rate, but Krieg's was even better at 67%
Yep that's how numbers work
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

Turnandrake wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:46 pm Hopkins wins 2 games jump into the top 10 ranking. A lost tonight and a lost this Saturday do they drop out the top 20 just as quick?
Depends … if Loyola blows them out, they’re out.

If they stay in the game, they’re in.

Blue Jays can win the game, but their legs are going to be dead even before the game starts.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
wgdsr

Post by wgdsr »

a fan wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:50 pm
a fan wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:56 pm Wait to you hear about the Final Four, where you have to play for all the marbles on two day's rest....or to help with the math, 3 games in 9 days. Against the best teams in D1.

Seem to remember Hopkins players faring quite well with the 3 games in 9 days format.
how dare you 😂😂. Quint even said the same thing in the early portion of the game. And how in the hell did anyone know Loyola would beat UMD after a crappy 22’ season.

Hopfan16 makes a valuable argument. Scheduling teams is tough, especially with conference games locked in. You often take what you can get, and it is often a 2-year deal.

I think it’s the bands fault, when the players don’t hear them after goals, it creates stress on the field and the play tighter. 😉😂
Or maybe it's just that Milliman knows a mess more about the schedule and his team than we do.

i'm not even sure how all these basketball teams are playing every week.
Turnandrake

Post by Turnandrake »

DocBarrister wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 9:05 pm
Turnandrake wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:46 pm Hopkins wins 2 games jump into the top 10 ranking. A lost tonight and a lost this Saturday do they drop out the top 20 just as quick?
Depends … if Loyola blows them out, they’re out.

If they stay in the game, they’re in.

Blue Jays can win the game, but their legs are going to be dead even before the game starts.

DocBarrister
And UNC travels to Ohio this weekend back to back road games. Stop with scheduling excuses
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

a fan wrote: Tue Feb 14, 2023 8:50 pm

Hey, I’m rooting for PM and the team. PM is the only Hopkins HC in the 130+ history of Johns Hopkins lacrosse who is entering his third year with two losing seasons under his belt. He has this team in terrific form early in the season. But he’s going to have a tough time leading his team to a winning record with this schedule.

Can only wish him the best.

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
HopFan16

Post by HopFan16 »

As frustrating as it is to lose a game that looked very winnable for 3+ quarters, I gotta say it's nice to finally lose and not feel existential dread afterward. Losses in previous years typically featured a potpourri of atrocious goalie play, mind-numbingly horrid defensive lapses and zero athleticism. But we're getting solid goalie play, clearing it better, have real athletes in key spots, and the mind-numbingly horrid defensive lapses are severely limited, whereas they were once the norm. Coach Kelly has also been running a pretty tight substitution box — we're not getting killed in that phase like we used to. It was a pretty vanilla loss on a Tuesday night when their tired legs caught up to them and they couldn't put it away. Games like this happen.

On the bright side, we have Matt Collison and Carson Brown for the next four years.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”