World Soccer

General Chatter
Seacoaster(1)

Re: World Soccer

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

ardilla secreta wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 6:06 pm Great weekend in the FA Cup.

Sunderland looked to be advancing on a stunning late goal by their 15 year old Chris Rigg against 7th Place Fulham until an offside call cancelled it. They replay next week.

Japanese national Mitoma scored a gorgeous goal in extra time as Brighton beat defending champ Liverpool 2-1

American owned and 5th level Wrexham was minutes from a historic home win before giving up a late goal against Sheffield United. They head to a replay at Bramall Lane.
AS, I watched the Newcastle United-Southampton game yesterday and I gotta say, this NUFC side is hard not to like. The play together, sometimes pretty, always tough. You can tell there is that element of esprit de corps in their locker room and on the pitch.

Fannolax, yes, good weekend on the couch. I hope I can see the NUFC-Hammers match and the Man City-Spurs game.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:06 pm

Sunderland looked to be advancing on a stunning late goal by their 15 year old Chris Rigg against 7th Place Fulham until an offside call cancelled it. They replay next week.

Japanese national Mitoma scored a gorgeous goal in extra time as Brighton beat defending champ Liverpool 2-1

American owned and 5th level Wrexham was minutes from a historic home win before giving up a late goal against Sheffield United. They head to a replay at Bramall Lane.
AS, I watched the Newcastle United-Southampton game yesterday and I gotta say, this NUFC side is hard not to like. The play together, sometimes pretty, always tough. You can tell there is that element of esprit de corps in their locker room and on the pitch.

Fannolax, yes, good weekend on the couch. I hope I can see the NUFC-Hammers match and the Man City-Spurs game.
Definitely agree on Newcastle. They are a fun team to follow and it starts with Eddie Howe. Was nice to see St James’s Park rockin in the League Cup semifinals. Would be great to see them take the title. Should be a crackin game. Signing 21 yo Anthony Gordon from Everton adds some talented depth. Man, Everton is destined to go down.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

ardilla secreta wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:28 am
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Feb 01, 2023 5:06 pm

Definitely agree on Newcastle. They are a fun team to follow and it starts with Eddie Howe. Was nice to see St James’s Park rockin in the League Cup semifinals. Would be great to see them take the title. Should be a crackin game. Signing 21 yo Anthony Gordon from Everton adds some talented depth. Man, Everton is destined to go down.
Seen a couple of interviews with Eddie and he is certainly a players' coach, and a good guy.

Yeah, the introduction of Gordon to the crowd was pretty nice, and it should be a good spot to showcase his skills moving the ball down the wing and serving into the box. He might have been one of Everton's best young talents. So sad to see such an old and revered club spiral away. I don't think Lampard was a great manager, but he didn't -- to these dumb eyes -- seem to te the main problem there.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Everton!!

Liverpool?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:35 pm Everton!!

Liverpool?
Everton were determined, energetic, gritty and organized. Then there's the traditional "new-manager win." It wasn't a pretty win yesterday, but Arse would undoubtedly have won a pretty game. For once, Arsenal fans might have been happy that Tottenham won; Kane scored the goal, but I think Holjberg was the man of the match. I continue to believe that Manchester City's main focus this year is the Champuons' League. Who else could catch up with Arse? Man United? Certainly not Liverpool, who seem to have lost the thread, their confidence and self-belief as gone as a dream once we've been roused by the alarm clock. However, I do think Klopp is the man to lead Lpool back to the dizzying heights.

With his winning goal today, Kane became Tottenham Hotspur's all-time leading goalscorer. Well done Harry! I also saw live the #4 man on the list, Martin Chivers.
ardilla secreta

Post by ardilla secreta »

FannOLax wrote: Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:21 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:35 pm Everton!!

Liverpool?
Everton were determined, energetic, gritty and organized. Then there's the traditional "new-manager win." It wasn't a pretty win yesterday, but Arse would undoubtedly have won a pretty game. For once, Arsenal fans might have been happy that Tottenham won; Kane scored the goal, but I think Holjberg was the man of the match. I continue to believe that Manchester City's main focus this year is the Champuons' League. Who else could catch up with Arse? Man United? Certainly not Liverpool, who seem to have lost the thread, their confidence and self-belief as gone as a dream once we've been roused by the alarm clock. However, I do think Klopp is the man to lead Lpool back to the dizzying heights.

With his winning goal today, Kane became Tottenham Hotspur's all-time leading goalscorer. Well done Harry! I also saw live the #4 man on the list, Martin Chivers.
Thankfully, the Spurs came through big time. Not a very impressive showing by City and it will be interesting to see how they play as the hammer falls on their club with the ongoing charges. Can one keep their head in the game while planning an exit strategy?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... SApp_Other
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Nice comeback by Man U yesterday with Leeds. Love the unexpected midweek game. Return match in Leeds Sunday.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Must-win for Liverpool today?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:38 am Must-win for Liverpool today?
You could say that the Merseyside Derby is a life-or-death matter for both teams. Liverpool can certainly use that win to regain a bit of form going into the Champions' League knock-out stage. Everton, even having beaten Arsenal, are still in the relegation dog-fight and needed the points more than Liverpool.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

FannOLax wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 6:47 pm
Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 8:38 am Must-win for Liverpool today?
You could say that the Merseyside Derby is a life-or-death matter for both teams. Liverpool can certainly use that win to regain a bit of form going into the Champions' League knock-out stage. Everton, even having beaten Arsenal, are still in the relegation dog-fight and needed the points more than Liverpool.
Nice win for the Reds yesterday, and Gakpo's first goal in the PL. Sets up a pretty important Everton-Leeds match on Saturday I think.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Yes, Leeds v Everton looks really important: Everton in the relegation zone, Leeds just one point above them. With Forest doing surprisingly well, it looks like a relatively big club may well be relegated. Near the other end of the table, this Saturday will feature Brighton v Fulham, two teams who have surprised to the upside and could qualify for Europe.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

In the topsy-turvy EPL, the bottom three teams entering the weekend all won, with rock-bottom Southampton's win at Chelsea arguably being the most surprising win of the three. So Everton and Bournemouth climb out of the relegation zone for now, while West Ham and Leeds drop into it. Forest seem bound for survival after taking a point from a game with title pretender Manchester City, whose draw let Arsenal go back to the top with a game in hand. Saturday will see Leeds vs Southampton in a 6-point relegation game neither side can afford to lose. Everton host Aston Villa, with the blue side of the Mersey trying to strengthen their chances for survival. With Manchester United playing Newcastle in the League Cup (um, Milk Cup or Caribou Cup) final Sunday, another Sunday match in London sure to garner attention is the Tottenham-Chelsea derby with the Lilywhites looking to solidify their place in the top four.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Liverpool. W.T.F.?
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Wed Feb 22, 2023 11:10 am Liverpool. W.T.F.?
Top-level European clubs can really punish weak defensive efforts. Liverpool just hasn't had its act together for more than fits and spurts all season.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Liverpool's struggles continued with a limp 0-0 draw at Crystal Palace. A relegation match that looked scrappy and, frankly, like a game between two sub-par teams, ended 1-0 in favor of Leeds, lifting them one point above the relegation zone while Southampton remain rooted at the bottom of the table. Everton's home loss to Aston Villa leaves the Evertonians in the relegation zone with Bournemouth. West Ham's 4-0 win over Nottingham Forest lifts the Hammers above the immediate-danger zone. Small clubs Brentford and Brighton continue to defy the odds and sit above Chelsea in the table, as Chelsea lost 2-0 in North London to Tottenham. A new era of success at Old Trafford with Man United lifting the League Cup? The Red Devils also sit third in the table and recently knocked Barcelona out of the Europa League.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

Liverpool found some mojo yesterday. Jeez.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

Seacoaster(1) wrote: Mon Mar 06, 2023 7:22 am Liverpool found some mojo yesterday. Jeez.
Absolutely. The Gakpo goal from Salah's pass was exquisite.
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

So Benfica, Chelsea, AC Milan and Bayern advance to the round of eight in the CL. Find myself happy for Chelsea and Potter. I like this Benfica team too. Spurs let me down, again.
FannOLax

Post by FannOLax »

After thrashing Man United 7-0, Liverpool suddenly seem capable of just about anything, good or bad. Beating Real by thee goals in Madrid is a lot to ask. Will Liverpool be up for the more mundane task of playing tomorrow in Bournemouth?
Seacoaster(1)

Post by Seacoaster(1) »

FannOLax wrote: Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:03 am After thrashing Man United 7-0, Liverpool suddenly seem capable of just about anything, good or bad. Beating Real by thee goals in Madrid is a lot to ask. Will Liverpool be up for the more mundane task of playing tomorrow in Bournemouth?
Watched the Betis-ManU game yesterday (when, it must be said, I should have been working), and was really impressed by the bounce back from the United team. ETH started the exact squad, got a goal early from Rashford, took the body blow of an equalizer, and then played a spirited and nicely-shaped second half, with Marcus on the bench for a lot of it. I am sorry that Erikson is not available; watching him and Casemiro manage the middle of the field would have been a treat.

Liverpool fans and commentators alike say, "We'll finish in the top four." Still a lot of work to get there.

I think Chelsea may find their groove, and beat a teetering Leicester City.

Everton and Leeds face Brentford and Brighton respectively, two very tough mid-table teams. The Relegation warning is sounding.

Return to “GENERAL CHATTER”