Syracuse 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
Farfromgeneva

Re: Syracuse 2023

Post by Farfromgeneva »

DMac wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:21 pm I was left with pretty much the same thoughts, Ffg, re Serena.
I’ve been out on the commercials for probably a decade. What was once organically fun is now a drag.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DocBarrister

Post by DocBarrister »

It’s my understanding that the Spallina punk continues to cause trouble by selfishly scoring goals (11 in 3 games) while being stingy with his teammates (just 2 assists).

This is quite troubling. What to do?

DocBarrister
@DocBarrister
DMac

Post by DMac »

Yup and a couple of those goals v HC were the result of off ball movement and positioning himself right in front of the cage so as to allow Hiltz (he's the man) to deliver the ball right to his stick so he could just tap it in for the goal. The freshman who previously played against a bunch LI jamokes and whose father bullied Gary into giving him the #22 does indeed seem to being doing alright. Back to back finsters, not bad.
Very nice win for those Jays, Doc!!
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

Everybody's talking about the offense and this Spallina kid, but the real story so far is the defense and Will Mark. Can they replicate Loyola's game plan and take down Maryland? Or was it just an off day for the Terps?
Farfromgeneva

Post by Farfromgeneva »

rolldodge wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:34 am Everybody's talking about the offense and this Spallina kid, but the real story so far is the defense and Will Mark. Can they replicate Loyola's game plan and take down Maryland? Or was it just an off day for the Terps?
Because a couple of folks went out of their way to criticize the kid before and after the first game. It's a reaction to that.
Now I love those cowboys, I love their gold
Love my uncle, God rest his soul
Taught me good, Lord, taught me all I know
Taught me so well, that I grabbed that gold
I left his dead ass there by the side of the road, yeah
DMac

Post by DMac »

rolldodge wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:34 am Everybody's talking about the offense and this Spallina kid, but the real story so far is the defense and Will Mark. Can they replicate Loyola's game plan and take down Maryland? Or was it just an off day for the Terps?
Nobody is missing that, the ACC player of the week (last week) in the cage has been noticed and recognized as outstanding to date. The D unit has received high praise as well, I've given the D coach an A+ for the way his boys are playing on the field. As usual, it's the scoring of goals that receives the most attention most of the time.
Agree with Ffg's comment too.
ohmilax34

Post by ohmilax34 »

I'm a Landon Clary fan. He seems like a gritty, hard working kid, and he makes some wonderful lacrosse plays. However, his footwork has looked a little poor when he was getting dodged on. If he's the #1 cover defender, as Gait said he is, then I could see him having trouble with some of the quicker attackmen he faces. If Syracuse has to slide to help their #1 defender, they'll get scored on a lot. Obviously, I am happy to be proven wrong.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

DMac wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:44 am
Nobody is missing that, the ACC player of the week (last week) in the cage has been noticed and recognized as outstanding to date. The D unit has received high praise as well, I've given the D coach an A+ for the way his boys are playing on the field. As usual, it's the scoring of goals that receives the most attention most of the time.
Agree with Ffg's comment too.
Fair enough. Its just a much, much bigger improvement from last year than the offense. Say what you want about Doredevic, but offense is not why they lost games last year. Do you think they can keep it up against Maryland?
Finster

Post by Finster »

Curious about scheduling. How do we have 10 home games and only five away?
DMac

Post by DMac »

rolldodge wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:01 am Do you think they can keep it up against Maryland?
Big question, this is a real big test for the young and fairly inexperienced Cuse team. I wasn't surprised by Vermont and their ability to give Cuse a real run for their money but, with no disrespect to either UA or HC, I wasn't surprised by the level of competition they brought either. I think Gary did an outstanding job with the schedule in bringing this team into the season. They're now facing a higher level of competition though and we'll see how they're able to compete at that level. Three games under their belt, real game experience, is a good thing. The chemistry seems to be good, they're working well together and that's going to have to happen v Maryland. Feels as if Cuse is going into a real hornet's nest after Maryland's loss to Loyola, they'll definitely be looking to sting Cuse.
Cuse can definitely pass, catch, and shoot (we've seen some pretty nice stuff from them) and as you noted the D (includes GK) has looked like a nice unit that works very nicely together. The FOGO situation is still a question mark to me. Guess we can just wait and see but this is a scary one indeed.
DMac

Post by DMac »

Finster wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:21 am Curious about scheduling. How do we have 10 home games and only five away?
315-443-1870 ext. 4390.
Ask for Gary.
genghiskhanbluejay

Post by genghiskhanbluejay »

Finster wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:21 am Curious about scheduling. How do we have 10 home games and only five away?
going to guess, Albany, Holy Cross, Hobart, Vermont etc. would rather give up the February outdooor frozen home game every other year and play inside.
And you probably pay for the buses gas and buy them mcdonalds with the extra home game money you make.
Last edited by genghiskhanbluejay on Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

rolldodge wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:01 amDo you think they can keep it up against Maryland?
Don't expect it this early in season but I'm hoping they can hang with Terps... at least.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

tech37 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:51 am
rolldodge wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:01 amDo you think they can keep it up against Maryland?
Don't expect it this early in season but I'm hoping they can hang with Terps... at least.
I expect Marylands offense will play better than they did vs Loyola but with Mark in cage and the solid d they are playing they can keep it within reach of their offense.
creasecone66

Post by creasecone66 »

Any insiders know the policy for JMA (carrier) Dome security at walk-thru’s? Debating making the 7+ hour trip one way to the lacrosse Mecca that is the Dome for the Duke game March 5, but would be all in if folks could watch any kind of practice they hold the day before or a self guided tour of the complex for a two day trip. Top it off with a garbage plate at Dino BBQ and I’ll understand what Carc and Anish have been talking about.
oldbartman

Post by oldbartman »

genghiskhanbluejay wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:18 am
going to guess, Albany, Holy Cross, Hobart, Vermont etc. would rather give up the February outdooor frozen home game every other year and play inside.
And you probably pay for the buses gas and buy them mcdonalds with the extra home game money you make.
Hobart has the Poole Dome indoor facility for games. We've already had 2 scrimmages and a game played there this season. No need to always have games on Cuse's homefield.
DMac

Post by DMac »

creasecone66 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:26 pm Any insiders know the policy for JMA (carrier) Dome security at walk-thru’s? Debating making the 7+ hour trip one way to the lacrosse Mecca that is the Dome for the Duke game March 5, but would be all in if folks could watch any kind of practice they hold the day before or a self guided tour of the complex for a two day trip. Top it off with a garbage plate at Dino BBQ and I’ll understand what Carc and Anish have been talking about.
You're screwed for watching a practice the day before, you won't be able to get in for that (if they're even practicing in there, they're apt to be practicing in the indoor facility they built which is not open for spectators...includes fall ball which absolutely sucks). As far as a self guided tour of the complex, that's no problem the place is wide open on game day. I don't know how early they open the gates but I wouldn't be afraid to say it's open an hour before gametime. You can get a pretty darn good look at the place in that amount time. Hope you make it, opposing team's fans are always welcome in the Dome even if it's Duke fans ;) Enjoy. As for the Dino BBQ, no comment.
JeremyCuse

Post by JeremyCuse »

creasecone66 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:26 pm Any insiders know the policy for JMA (carrier) Dome security at walk-thru’s? Debating making the 7+ hour trip one way to the lacrosse Mecca that is the Dome for the Duke game March 5, but would be all in if folks could watch any kind of practice they hold the day before or a self guided tour of the complex for a two day trip. Top it off with a garbage plate at Dino BBQ and I’ll understand what Carc and Anish have been talking about.
Unless your a former Syracuse All-American watching any practice is gonna be a no-go. The Dome opens 2 hours before the game and is completely wide open if you wanna walk around and check it out same for campus itself. Dino has really good BBQ but a garbage plate is a Rochester staple, you won't be finding one there.
stupefied

Post by stupefied »

rolldodge wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:07 pm
tech37 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:51 am
I expect Marylands offense will play better than they did vs Loyola but with Mark in cage and the solid d they are playing they can keep it within reach of their offense.
They hung with them last year and now have a legit goalie. Maryland isn't as good as last year on either end with some many top players gone . I expect Cuse to give them a run and Spallina to do just fine
FMUBart

Post by FMUBart »

JeremyCuse wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:27 pm
Unless your a former Syracuse All-American watching any practice is gonna be a no-go. The Dome opens 2 hours before the game and is completely wide open if you wanna walk around and check it out same for campus itself. Dino has really good BBQ but a garbage plate is a Rochester staple, you won't be finding one there.
Nick Tahou's

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”