FanLax Forum Poll

D1 Mens Lacrosse
molo

Re: FanLax Forum Poll

Post by molo »

I probably underrated some excellent teams who haven’t played yet and overrated some teams o the asus if one big win, but that’s what we have so far.I tried to adhere to fatty’s principle that wins count except where I didn’t. But the you now what Emerson said about a foolish consistency.
I’m prepared to look stupid for the rest of the week if my number two stumbles Tuesday afternoon.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

molo wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:23 am I probably underrated some excellent teams who haven’t played yet and overrated some teams o the asus if one big win, but that’s what we have so far.I tried to adhere to fatty’s principle that wins count except where I didn’t. But the you now what Emerson said about a foolish consistency.
I’m prepared to look stupid for the rest of the week if my number two stumbles Tuesday afternoon.
I think I voted Loyola too low; they deserve to be higher based on the overall criteria I was using.

I also left one big name off altogether, but that was purposeful.

From your last comment, our #2s align, and that team has two huge games this week (and has had two nice wins so far). So while yeah, I ordinarily wouldn't have voted them #2, I figure either it will correct itself right quick, or I'll look like a genius.
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:16 am I was reading the IL poll and thinking how pointless it is when 6 Ivy teams are ranked and they're all 0-0.

Also Hopkins winning 2 games is an automatic top 10. I'm surprised Syracuse isn't there too tbh.
Are you suggesting they all drop out because they haven't played yet? Notre Dame, too?

Hopkins two wins are more impressive than Syracuse's 3, though I personally had SU in my top 10. But just barely.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

I definitely weighted teams that had played over teams that haven't, so my rankings will sort out over the next couple of weeks.

Hopkins has the two best wins on the board, and I ranked them #2. Loyola has the next best win on the board, and I have them at #3.

Sadly, my Terps took quite a tumble for my rankings, as did Georgetown.

I didn't rank Denver.
TheBigIguana

Post by TheBigIguana »

ICGrad wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:46 am
TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:16 am I was reading the IL poll and thinking how pointless it is when 6 Ivy teams are ranked and they're all 0-0.

Also Hopkins winning 2 games is an automatic top 10. I'm surprised Syracuse isn't there too tbh.
Are you suggesting they all drop out because they haven't played yet? Notre Dame, too?

Hopkins two wins are more impressive than Syracuse's 3, though I personally had SU in my top 10. But just barely.
I'm suggesting not doing a poll yet
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

I probably over-weighted the ivy league because they have not had the chance to be upset yet.

Had UMD firmly as my No.1 until the giant slayers started wreaking havoc. Quite the weekend. Grudgingly put my Hoo's at #1 because they held serve. - as a fan I honestly prefer them floating at 3-5 without the target of #1, since the only ranking that really matters is the one at the end of the year.

Cuse and Hop - are they back?? !!
STILL somewhere back in the day....

...and waiting/hoping for a tinfoil hat emoji......
molo

Post by molo »

At least on their way back.
jersey shore lax

Post by jersey shore lax »

TheBigIguana wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:56 am
ICGrad wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:46 am

I'm suggesting not doing a poll yet
I did not submit this week because, really who the heck knows at this point?
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

Here we go...

Caddy Day
Caddies Welcome 1-1:15
CU88

Post by CU88 »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:11 pm Here we go...

Thank you all.
rolldodge

Post by rolldodge »

• 1. Notre Dame *
  • 2. Cornell *
  • 3. Princeton *
  • 4. Yale *
  • 5. Brown *
  • 6. Harvard *
  • 7. Virginia
  • 8. Loyola
  • 9. Johns Hopkins
  • 10. Rutgers
* The top six teams exist in a Platonic realm, their superiority untarnished by contact with the mortal world.
blue angels

Post by blue angels »

HooDat wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 11:11 am I probably over-weighted the ivy league because they have not had the chance to be upset yet.

Had UMD firmly as my No.1 until the giant slayers started wreaking havoc. Quite the weekend. Grudgingly put my Hoo's at #1 because they held serve. - as a fan I honestly prefer them floating at 3-5 without the target of #1, since the only ranking that really matters is the one at the end of the year.

Cuse and Hop - are they back?? !!
Concur on Virginia. Hate being a meaningless # 1 at the beginning of the season. Too early to know who should be slotted where. One thing is clear, there is more parity than maybe ever. Michigan exposed some flaws at Virginia.....With their schedule, a potential pitfall every weekend. We will know more after the Ivys start playing.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

rolldodge wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 12:51 pm
  • 1. Notre Dame *
  • 2. Cornell *
  • 3. Princeton *
  • 4. Yale *
  • 5. Brown *
  • 6. Harvard *
  • 7. Virginia
  • 8. Loyola
  • 9. Johns Hopkins
  • 10. Rutgers
* The top six teams exist in a Platonic realm, their superiority untarnished by contact with the mortal world.
it is as if angels came down to play the creators game..... 8-)

DU-fan

Post by DU-fan »

As a suggestion, I think it would be better if everyone ranked 1-25. I noticed that 3 of the 11 rankings only went to 20. The 15-25 rankings are interesting as well as the top 10-15.
Typical Lax Dad

Post by Typical Lax Dad »

DU-fan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:47 pm

As a suggestion, I think it would be better if everyone ranked 1-25. I noticed that 3 of the 11 rankings only went to 20. The 15-25 rankings are interesting as well as the top 10-15.
Shoot….you are going to make me think harder.
“You lucky I ain’t read wretched yet!”
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

DU-fan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:47 pm As a suggestion, I think it would be better if everyone ranked 1-25. I noticed that 3 of the 11 rankings only went to 20. The 15-25 rankings are interesting as well as the top 10-15.
I don't disagree, the more teams the better. With that said, FWIW, the pollers who just do 1-10 or 1-20, their polls still definitely make the cumulative Forum Poll better.
Caddy Day
ICGrad

Post by ICGrad »

DU-fan wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 1:47 pm
Yeah, I get down to a certain level and it gets muddy for me. Certainly Duke would have made my top 25, and I'm sure with a little more effort I could round it out, though I feel less certain in general the lower my poll goes.

One of the reasons I don't do the d-3 poll is that outside of the top 10 and the teams I immediately follow (mostly Liberty League) I'm just clueless.

But I'll make an effort to go full 25...
Matnum PI

Post by Matnum PI »

I don't get it. Why so much love for UVA?...
Caddy Day
molo

Post by molo »

Very good question in the opinion of someone who ranked them number one. Here’s my inconsistent, convoluted explanation. First, they were ranked anywhere from one to three in the media, coaches, and Q poll, and the other two teams ranked there lost. Second, while I think there are four or five teams that are about as good if not better than UVA, ND and my four Ivy high picks have not played yet. UVA did win, albeit in hardly a decisive manner, against a solid opponent. I rated them over what I consider peer teams because some of them haven’t played and became three of them lost.
Unlike the other polls, which at this point defer more to reputation than accomplishment, I heavily promoted giant killers who advanced incrementally in the “official” polls. Is it too early? Probably, but I like the idea of rewarding wins any time of the year and making losses count. If that means teams will jump all over the place for a while, so be it. Have fun.
HooDat

Post by HooDat »

Matnum PI wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 3:10 pm I don't get it. Why so much love for UVA?...
I justified the top ranking on the fact that: (a) they played, (b) they held serve and (c) unlike Cuse and Hop I didn't have to move them up too far from where I thought they should be before the games were played last weekend.

For me UVA got the top spot by default.

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”