Maryland 2023

D1 Mens Lacrosse
keno in reno

Re: Maryland 2023

Post by keno in reno »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:13 pm
Bmk2222 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:05 pm
jrn19 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:28 pm
molo wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:26 pm Just finished the replay. Always love to see a team dominating face-offs lose. I had assumed last year’s Maryland team had a deeper bench. Wrong. They need to find some offense, especially at the most important position, quickly. Cuse coming to town.
They had the Tewaaraton winner, 4 50+ point scorers, 6 with 40+, 10 offensive players with 15+ points, they had 4 short stick defensive midfielders who went to the PLL, they ran 3 LSM who had starting experience at major programs, they had 3 close defenseman who got All-American honors.

Not sure exactly how much deeper you would like a team to be

Honestly the planets really lined up for the 22’ team (Covid & heartbreak in 21’). With the increased popularity of lax and more and more schools sponsoring teams I doubt we will see another team that dominate/amazing again in college lacrosse.
It wasn’t supposed to happen again. 2006 UVA was supposed to be the last one. An amazing, amazing accomplishment of coaching, recruiting, schematic advancement, player commitment, buy-in, unbelievable talent, just the whole package. Glad we were there to see it.
There's a chance it could happen again in Charlottesville with Shellenberger, McConvey et al. Probably not, but that's a good start to a superteam.
Finster

Post by Finster »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:17 pm
molo wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:26 pm Just finished the replay. Always love to see a team dominating face-offs lose. I had assumed last year’s Maryland team had a deeper bench. Wrong. They need to find some offense, especially at the most important position, quickly. Cuse coming to town.
They had the Tewaaraton winner, 4 50+ point scorers, 6 with 40+, 10 offensive players with 15+ points, they had 4 short stick defensive midfielders who went to the PLL, they ran 3 LSM who had starting experience at major programs, they had 3 close defenseman who got All-American honors.

Honestly the planets really lined up for the 22’ team (Covid & heartbreak in 21’). With the increased popularity of lax and more and more schools sponsoring teams I doubt we will see another team that dominate/amazing again in college lacrosse.
It wasn’t supposed to happen again. 2006 UVA was supposed to be the last one. An amazing, amazing accomplishment of coaching, recruiting, schematic advancement, player commitment, buy-in, unbelievable talent, just the whole package. Glad we were there to see it.
There's a chance it could happen again in Charlottesville with Shellenberger, McConvey et al. Probably not, but that's a good start to a superteam.

If any coach and team can do it, it might be Lars and this year's UVA squad, but...not exactly beating down on a Michigan squad that lost some key players from last year, in your home opener, doesn't exactly bode well.

2022 Maryland came out and destroyed Loyola 20-8 in their home opener, and the game wasn't 'that close'. That beatdown was a foreshadowing of a great team. I'm not sure UVA has either the FOGO (Lasalla is good, not great) nor the defense to be in the undefeated convo by year end, though for sure they can win this year's Natty.

The Ivy's start next weekend, and almost any of them can beat UVA.
molo

Post by molo »

Good point. I’ll probably have UVA number one since Maryland and GT lost, but they had to work pretty hard to get past Michigan.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Finster wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 8:52 pm

If any coach and team can do it, it might be Lars and this year's UVA squad, but...not exactly beating down on a Michigan squad that lost some key players from last year, in your home opener, doesn't exactly bode well.

2022 Maryland came out and destroyed Loyola 20-8 in their home opener, and the game wasn't 'that close'. That beatdown was a foreshadowing of a great team. I'm not sure UVA has either the FOGO (Lasalla is good, not great) nor the defense to be in the undefeated convo by year end, though for sure they can win this year's Natty.

I mean, that's factually wrong and not hard at all to confirm
molo

Post by molo »

I don’t know about any of them, but I would agree about four if them.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

molo wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:19 pm I don’t know about any of them, but I would agree about four if them.
Dude, enjoy the football game. Turn off the phone. Post on Monday.
molo

Post by molo »

Cornell, Yale, Princeton, and Yale. Brown and Harvard not so much. Dartmouth professor not.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

molo wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:23 pm Cornell, Yale, Princeton, and Yale. Brown and Harvard not so much. Dartmouth professor not.
Stop bro
jrn19

Post by jrn19 »

UVA's had tons of teams with offensive talent reminiscent of those guys, honestly even better. The late aughts teams with Glading and Billings and Stanwick and the Brattons. Plus the defenders on the other side as well. And they didn't go undefeated. Going undefeated is ludicrously hard. UVA came as close to losing on Saturday as Maryland did all of last season. That says it all. Cavs are probably title favorites as it stands, but undefeated is a different mountaintop. That's what made it so special.
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

jrn19 wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:57 pm

UVA's had tons of teams with offensive talent reminiscent of those guys, honestly even better. The late aughts teams with Glading and Billings and Stanwick and the Brattons. Plus the defenders on the other side as well. And they didn't go undefeated. Going undefeated is ludicrously hard. UVA came as close to losing on Saturday as Maryland did all of last season. That says it all. Cavs are probably title favorites as it stands, but undefeated is a different mountaintop. That's what made it so special.
Like I said, probably not
Finster

Post by Finster »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:18 pm

Not sure which part you think is ‘factually wrong’, so I assume it’s me venturing that any Ivy can take UVA this year.

Let’s see what happens this weekend. I’ll be at the game in C-ville, 4 pm.
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

All the way down to No. 10…….wow
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Finster wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:08 am

Not sure which part you think is ‘factually wrong’, so I assume it’s me venturing that any Ivy can take UVA this year.

They played High Point at home the week before
Finster

Post by Finster »

keno in reno wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:06 am

My bad if so. I assumed the HP game was away.

The score even of that game told you the Terps had something special. HP didn’t give up 21 to anyone. Closest was Duke at 18, but it tailed down from there.
Cno3putts

Post by Cno3putts »

Any updates on McNaney's injury
keno in reno

Post by keno in reno »

Finster wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:19 am
keno in reno wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:06 am

My bad if so. I assumed the HP game was away.

The score even of that game told you the Terps had something special. HP didn’t give up 21 to anyone. Closest was Duke at 18, but it tailed down from there.
all good.
as for the Terps, the IL poll has them at 9 and dropping 2 spots. Didn't realize they were at 7 last week.
Wheels

Post by Wheels »

Bmk2222 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:24 am All the way down to No. 10…….wow
That's where I'd rank them right now, and it makes no sense that Loyola is ranked behind them. If you're going to jump Hopkins up to #5, Loyola should be right behind them. Those two teams have the best wins on the board for any team in the nation.
Bmk2222

Post by Bmk2222 »

Wheels wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:53 am
Bmk2222 wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 9:24 am All the way down to No. 10…….wow
That's where I'd rank them right now, and it makes no sense that Loyola is ranked behind them. If you're going to jump Hopkins up to #5, Loyola should be right behind them. Those two teams have the best wins on the board for any team in the nation.
Loyola is showing at 4? Right in front of JHU…..
PulpExposure

Post by PulpExposure »

keno in reno wrote: Mon Feb 13, 2023 10:48 am all good.
as for the Terps, the IL poll has them at 9 and dropping 2 spots. Didn't realize they were at 7 last week.
No..they dropped FROM 2 to 9 in that poll. It's not very well described there.

I do find it funny that 4 of their top 5 teams haven't even played yet. That's silly af.
tech37

Post by tech37 »

keno in reno wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:30 pm
molo wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 9:23 pm Cornell, Yale, Princeton, and Yale. Brown and Harvard not so much. Dartmouth professor not.
Stop bro
:D Too funny... hang tough molo!

Return to “D1 MENS LACROSSE”